Turns Out I Like Raw Broccoli

by HEAB on October 30, 2009

But only if it’s covered in mayonnaise. :)

For my lunch yesterday, I made Averie’s Broccoli Salad but subbed 1 packet of stevia for the 3 TBSP sugar (couldn’t do the white stuff Averie). I let the broccoli marinate for about 24 hours and then stirred in some cooked shrimp and 1.5 chopped Medjool dates. So excited for this recipe as I always love broccoli salad whenever I see it on salad bars. However, I don’t like all the sugar it usually contains. Averie, thanks for the idea – this was delicious! Along with my broccoli, I ate a serving of curly fries (spiralized roasted sweet potatoes).

While enjoying my lunch, I started thinking about how I eat, and I came to the conclusion that I am not normal. The thought of grabbing a quick sandwich or nuking a can of soup for lunch never even crosses my mind. Although this meal may look a bit labor intensive, it took hardly any time to prepare. All I did was saute my frozen shrimp with spices for a few minutes, chop the dates, and throw everything in my pre-made broccoli salad. The curly fries were leftover from dinner the night before. Before I lost weight, a typical lunch usually consisted of a big sandwich with Doritos and soda…or maybe pizza. Funny how our tastes can change, but I think both my belly and my body are much happier with my present day weird, yet colorful HEAB lunches.

I received an exciting email from one of my favorite online yoga websites, YogaDownload, and I wanted to share it with my HEABers. In honor of Halloween, all classes are 50% off through midnight, tomorrow night (Saturday, October 31). Simply use the coupon code Halloween at check-out. Happy Yogaing. :)

Abby October 30, 2009 at 10:13 am

You’re meals looks pretty “normal” to me.. Id certainly take a broccoli salad and curly sweet taters over canned soup any day! It shows you care what you put in your body. Looks delish! Have a super Friday, Heather! ;)

Heather October 30, 2009 at 10:13 am

Nice lunch! I like raw broccoli if it’s marinated in olive oil/Bragg’s/spices, but otherwise, blech. I’ve yet to try that broc salad but will have to do it soon. Your curly fries look amazing! Reminds me of Arby’s. Sometimes I still dream of those curly fries…

jesstyler October 30, 2009 at 10:14 am

mmm, that sounds really good! I must try roasting sweet potatoes. I love sweet potato chips!

The Foodie Diaries October 30, 2009 at 10:15 am

Ah, thanks for the yogadownload deal!!

And the SP curly fries!! One more reason I neeeeed a spiralizer…

Jessica October 30, 2009 at 10:20 am

Ohmigosh Heather – the curly fries are a brilliant idea! Never thought of that.

Erica October 30, 2009 at 10:20 am

hahaha I think you eat VERY normal….maybe because I eat somewhat similar :) Love the spiralized “fries” – I need to get one of those

Chloe October 30, 2009 at 10:21 am

That broccoli salad looks delicious.

I’d say there are “abnormal” things I eat compared to the rest of society, but for the most part I eat pretty normally. I also think it depends on where you live – the Pacific Northwest is a pretty healthy place, so it’s not weird if I bring in persimmons as a snack or a sweet potato for lunch.

Definitely using that Yoga Download code – love their classes & can’t wait to try more!

VeggieGirl October 30, 2009 at 10:22 am

Normal, schnormal – just eat, enjoy, and live! :)

Diana October 30, 2009 at 10:22 am

My taste has definitely changed with time. I rarely eat meat now, I love fish and veggies. I actually make an effort to include veggies in my main meals. Who am I? ahah
I love broccoli. :) And those curly fries look awesome.

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 30, 2009 at 10:25 am

I am going to make sweet potatoes like that next time — great idea :)

Ann October 30, 2009 at 10:25 am

Oh man, that looks SO yum (I need a spiralizer!). I also eat kinda “wierd,” and unfortunately I often feel embarrassed by it and feel the need to somehow apologize for it or something. I love checking out your creations! I do have a question–you’ve mentioned stevia here before, and I wonder what type you use? It’s the extract, not the whole leaf stuff, right? I’m looking into buying some myself, unfortunately I live in Europe :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 10:29 am

Hey Ann, Don’t be embarrassed by your “weird” eats. If it makes you feel any better, I display mine for the whole world to see. ;)

As far as stevia goes, I currently use NuNaturalspowdered stevia packets. Best tasting stevia I’ve tried thus far. Actually hoping to do a giveaway next week. Stay tuned…

Kate October 30, 2009 at 10:25 am

Don’t worry. I’m just as “abnormal” (if not more so) than you are. And besides, what really defines “normal” anyway? You’re yourself and you eat how YOU want, and that’s really all that matters. :)

Have a great day Heather!

Gabriela October 30, 2009 at 10:29 am

My tastes have changed as I’ve become healthier too…it’s almost as if once you start thinking about what you’re putting into your body, you stop craving the stuff you never really enjoyed. I still get serious desires for chocolate, frosting and candy (can you say dessert addict?!) but for the most part, I’m fine!

That salad looks great, btw…another thing to try in broccoli salad is using hummus instead of mayo, it gives it a very different taste but still delish :)

Enjoy your weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 10:30 am

Gabriela, Hummus – great idea. Thanks!

Claire October 30, 2009 at 10:30 am

I wish I could eat broccoli more often…gives me gas.hehe…cc

balancejoyanddelicias October 30, 2009 at 10:34 am

curly fries!!! such an awesome idea! What about curly zucchini fries? ever tried it? I might give it a try!!! hahahah …. :D
yeah~ our tastes definitely change over time, which is some kind of fun, right? :)
have a great day and have fun with yoga playing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 11:41 am

Coco (BalanceJoyandDelicias), I have made roasted curly zucchini – it’s yummy. I think you would love it. What you doing reading my blog?!? Go smooch on Star. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 30, 2009 at 10:37 am

Aw HEAB, what’s normal, anyway? Poison? Because that’s what most “normal” eats contain, especially for a sensitive belly like yours. Besides, if you were normal I wouldn’t get fab ideas from you. :)

jacobc October 30, 2009 at 10:45 am

I’m sure your body is liking this lunch much better! And you will live past 40 years old.. ha!
Love the new layout and colors!

I don’t know if i mentioned it, but i finally found a roommate a few weeks ago.. He still has not set foot in the kitchen.. I made him cabinet and fridge/freezer room, but he says he won’t need it. He eats out EVERY meal, i kid you not, EVERY meal. He doesn’t even have anything to drink in the fridge.. So i have taken it back over 100% ;-)
His trash is full of chicfila, mcdonalds, sonic, etc..
He is 28 now, i wonder how long his heart will put up with that.. And no exercize whatsoever- he hasn’t used the bedroom i have turned into a gym..
I’m not complaining though, it is almost like i’m still living alone!

I’m just catching up, but that dessert you made a few days back looks awesome! But soy sauce in the crust? interesting.. I’m def a crust lover.. Yall will have to stop by sometime if near hickory hollow!
Cheers, J ;o)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 11:49 am

Jacobc, CD and I need to have you over for dinner one night soon. I think you would love my soy sauce crust. Sound good?

Anne October 30, 2009 at 10:51 am

I like to have a protein-based meal once a day. Usually though the other meal is carbo-filled with veggies, grains, and maybe beans or a healthiest bar I can find. Do you ever eat grains at meals other than breakfast? Do you push protein at every meal ? I am so curious how a 3-day consecutive eating plan might look for you. Its interesting to see the choices people make over a typical time-span and their reasons and physical feelings at that time.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 11:48 am

Anne, I sometimes eat grains at lunch and dinner. No set protein quota for the day – just go with what I’m hungry for at any particular meal. Post dinner, I usually always have a bowl of oat bran or some roasted winter squash. Perhaps, I’ll do a 3 days in a row of all my eats. Thanks for the idea.

JavaChick October 30, 2009 at 11:00 am

Well I dunno…Based on “The thought of grabbing a quick sandwich or nuking a can of soup for lunch never even crosses my mind” I am not normal either…

Tiffany S. October 30, 2009 at 11:12 am

HEABS – I’d say you’re the “new” normal or even better than normal (though I hate to put a judgment on it). At least you know you’re in good company!

Thanks for the yoga discount – I’ll have to check it out!

(I’m having a chicken, hummus, sweet potato wrap for lunch – seems weird but tastes GREAT!)

lora October 30, 2009 at 11:17 am

weird and quirky is what i love most about people. so therefore i love you. so you just keep on with spiralizing those veggies and making meals with products that have names I cannot pronounce or even imagine buying :) because quirkiness is never boring. and i hate boring ;)

xooxoxoxoox and happy hallows eve HEAB!

Lo

glidingcalm October 30, 2009 at 11:17 am

i love raw broc.

mama used to serve us steamed broc with mayo when we were little. it was the dip! and brings back memories!!

alli October 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

looks delicious! last weekend i had a friend ask how long i am going to eat this way…as in “healthy”.
“well, i was thinking like….forever!”
they made the comment that they would rather eat junk and “work it off”. i don’t get it!

while i’m not to the point where everything i eat is “clean”, i am getting there! i have to thank to you for your many wonderful recipes!

also, what spiralizer do you use? i’m in the market for one :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 11:45 am

Alli, Even if your friends are able to “work it off”, junk will still harm the body in other ways. So many thin people out there with unhealthy insides, ya know? :(

I won this spiralizer from http://www.choosingraw.com: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-Tri-Blade-Plastic-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1250527442&sr=8-1

Scott in Ohio October 30, 2009 at 11:21 am

Here’s to not being “normal”. My office-mates just got back from a big pizza lunch while I had wasabi salmon over greens (fresh from the farmer’s market) and other veggies. Oh, and maybe a cup of Cafe Brioso coffee. (~:

If anyone is reading this comment, you MUST click on the “curly fries” link above. Tears of laughter.

Have a great weekend!

missyrayn October 30, 2009 at 11:25 am

I came to realize that about most of my food awhile ago. For me snacking involves an apple with some cinnamon. I haven’t even thought about halloween candy. So what if we are weird. We feel better for it.

~Jessica~ October 30, 2009 at 11:43 am

Normality is subjective. Given the state of health of Western society today, I’d say it’s preferably to be abnormal in terms of eating habits.

Raw broccoli scares me a little due to the fact I have such an insanely sensitive digestive system that can barely handle it cooked, but that doesn’t mean that I’d judge anyone else’s eating habits in terms of them being ‘weird’. I get comments all the time simply for being vegan…and both my parents seem deeply offended when I put pumpkin in my porridge (UK resident=no one else eats pumpkin…even in pies) I don’t understand why dietary preferences of the individual are always such a contentious point. Perhaps it’s the same as any other kind of ‘difference’: it makes people call into question their own behaviours and challenges conventional ideologies; engrained patterns of thought which, when destabilised, can make a person question their subjectivity. Who thought food could be such a powerful tool for subversion, eh?

Sorry, I must stop waffling now. The point is: enjoy what you like, irrespective of conventionality.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 30, 2009 at 11:44 am

Hi Heather!!!!!!!!
Wow, what a surprise, I had no idea you were actually going to make it, and blog about it! People tell me so often they are gonna make something, but never quite get around to it. But you did. I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised b/c you’re an action not just talk kinda girl after my own heart :)

I know you are not a sugar girl. I adore the “fluff” it gives to the dressing but I am glad to hear you enjoyed it with a packet of stevia (which I can totally see working beautifully). And the chopped date. Delish idea as a sub-out for the raisins! I had suggested dried cranberries or craisins but never thought of dates..duh. How sweet & lovely!

As for the curly fries…my hubs would love those.

And yoga download…yoga teacher that I am, it is music to my heart when I see yoga in any capacity being absorbed and taken in by the masses :)

Happy Halloween my friend, thank you for the shout out and glad you do like raw brock after all :)
xoxoxo
averie

Mama Pea October 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Our Halloween is going to be far from “normal,” but you know what? Take one look at our happy, healthy family and tell me we’re “deprived.” Here’s to not being normal!!!!

Katie October 30, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Looks normal to me! I know I remember the days when I ate junk. I don’t eat half as good as you do most days, but it’s still pretty good for a college student! I am impressed I crave sweet potatoes instead of chips most days!

alli October 30, 2009 at 12:43 pm

totally! i couldn’t agree more. i dont eat healthy because i want to loose weight; that’s just an added bonus if i do. i eat healthy because i care about my body and my body functions better when i give it good things. besides, how well can a person workout who fuels with junk?
sorry about the rant! you know those things, it’s convincing others! i try not to get all preachy to others about their food choices {not like im perfect 100% of the time anyways}. sometimes it’s enough just setting the example :) which, btw, im working on a food blog of my own. i read so many, i may as well join the party!

thanks so much for the link :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Alli, So true. Please let me know when your blog is up and running. I’d love to stop by. :)

homecookedem October 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Heather, to me your meals are very normal. Normal for someone who is concerned about feeding their bodies nutritious and delicious food!! I can only hope that one day everyone sees HEAB dishes as normal. Our country would be a country full of healthy, strong people!!

Shelby October 30, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I wish I had a spirilizer just so I can make curly sweet p fries! I’m so jealous!

Allie (Protein Girl) October 30, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Am I the last woman in the world without a veggie spiralizer? I must get one STAT! One of my favorite salads is raw broccoli with a touch of mayo/lemon, toasted pecans bacon crumbles and raisins or craisins + stevia. Could use tempeh crumbles too! Delightful. Everything is better with bacon and mayonnaise…even raw broccoli!

Pure2Raw Twins October 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Lunch looks amazing. Love the curly fries! It is funny how tastebuds can change… my have changed so much within this year! I laugh sometimes when I think about what I eat now because if you asked me a year ago that I would love large GREEN smoothies or kelp noodles… I would have laughed. I actually crave all types of veggies and fruit, mainly greens! Weird… but in a good way I think :) I wonder what I will be eating in a year from now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Pure2Raw, Dying to try kelp noodles, but I can’t find them anywhere. Where do you buy your’s?

Carrie October 30, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Is it bad that I often have your version of ice cream for breakfast? Only I use a lot less protein (too hard on the body), add some bananas, and load the top with crunchy granola! And sweeten it with coconut milk.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Carrie, My gosh, that sounds like a delicious breakfast, and there is not one single thing bad about it…at least not in my world. :) I had my ice-cream for breakfast as well…in the remains of a huge jar of Maranatha almond butter. I added dark cocoa powder to make it really chocolatey. Should add a frozen naner next time, and perhaps a little granola crunch as well. Brilliant!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir October 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm

50% yoga, nice! take advantage of that!

Christina October 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I was raised on the sandwich and chips for lunch. NOW, however, I am way NOT normal because I’m gluten free. I prefer leftovers (because I’m lazy) but I generally eat the same thing we’ve had for dinner on a previous night as my lunch. No frankenfood for me anymore!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 30, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I had this same thought the other day when I drove past a McDonald’s and thought about how I used to eat there more than I care to admit, especially in high school and college and how if I went there now, I was be totally sick! It’s amazing how much we can change when we start eating real food and find out what our favorites are and how they make our body feel :)

My husband eats sandwiches and Doritos still, ha ha.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 30, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Oohh, I must try spiralized curly sweet potato fries- why didnt I ever think of that! Oh yes, I hear you on the weird eating front- before I lost weight, a big mac, supersized fries, apple pie and sunday was “normal” but was it really normal?! Nah, not really!

Erin October 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

My mom used to steam artichoke hearts and serve with mayo. So cute :)
I’m glad you tried those curlies bb!

Erin October 30, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I heart broccoli!! Your weird food is inspiring HEAB! And thanks for the yogadownloads because I need me some yoga this weekend. I am so NOT flexible anymore, it’s all kinds of wrong.

And thanks for visiting my blog last week! Your comment made my day :)

joelygolightly October 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm

OH girl I want some curly sweet potato fries now!

I definitely think our tastes change drastically over the years.. It is amazing to my family that I love veggies and fruit so much now… When I was little, if it looked green or healthy, I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. Now I can’t get enough salad.. go figure!

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

Runeatrepeat October 30, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I wish I had the spiralizer to make those sweet potatoes!

Tou Tou October 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for your creation of that swir fried sweet potato !! I just make some today too :D next time I can try out your recipes, looks really fancy!!!

btw, I like your blog, most importantly , I myself is a big fan of Almond !!!! Looking forward to read more from you!

psychoj1 October 30, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I think that meal looks perfectly normal–well, to bloggers ;) I’d rather eat that any day!!
<3 jess
xoxo

yogiclarebear October 30, 2009 at 9:45 pm

thank you for the yogadownload discount, so appreciated heather.

BroccoliHut October 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I must admit that even I don’t like raw broc–guess I should try that recipe!

eatmovelove October 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Great meal Heather. Love the curly ‘fries’. And thank you for that link to the Spiralizer! I’ve so been thinking of getting one lately but they all seemed so expensive -upwards of $100! I’ll check to see if this one sends to Canada or not. Do you use a Julienne or Mandolin by the way also ?? Useful??

Also, I noticed you said before that you tend not to eat so many oats now and are eating Kobucha – isn’t that a Squash? Is it healthier than oats? …my only caveat with squash is – isn’t it still mostly simple sugars versus complex carbs? Is the nutritional content good?
I baked a sweet potato squash the other day and it was delish – but really almost too sweet for me! – I had some leftovers again tonight with veggies and salmon and my tummy still doesn’t feel right (although that’s nothing new considering the other crap I ate…uh nevermind then :) )

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Jenn, I do have a kitchen mandolin, but to be honest, I rarely use it. However, use my spiralizer all the time. Totally worth it!

Here is a recent post I did regarding my love for kabocha: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/15/gettin-krazy-with-kabocha/. Healthier than oats? Yes, kabocha is higher in sugars than oats, but they are both complex carbs. You can read more about the nutrients found in kabocha here: http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch10.html

I love love love my winter squashes and sweet potatoes. You should try different varieties as some are much sweeter than others. You might prefer acorn as it’s not as sweet as kabocha or butternut.

Cookie October 31, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Just found your blog this week and LOVE it! Totally relate to your abnormal eating realization. I’ve come to terms with my “abnormal” eating too. If over half the United States is obese.. I don’t care to be “normal” anymore!

Roasting Golden Kuri squash right now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Cookie, Thanks for reading, and you’re so right…Why be normal? Golden Kuri? Must find this squash!

Kelly October 31, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Heather,
I made the broccoli salad last night and substituted tahini for the vegan mayo, it was delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Kelly, I like the way you think. Tahini? I must try that.

{ 1 trackback }