Pumpkin Carving HEAB Style

by HEAB on October 31, 2009

So as I told you before, Kabocha means pumpkin in Japanese.

Diana dared me to do it…Diana, I accepted your dare. :)

First I had fun with some fruit and veggies…

Mr. Kabocha Head

Then I slow roasted Mr. Kabocha Head in a 275° oven for 2 hours. After he was all nice and cooked through, out came the knife…

My Kabocha Jack-o’-Lantern

Then I got hungry. Sorry Mr. Kabocha Head…

Pureed roasted kabocha with stevia, vanilla, and cinnamon in the AB jar.
Even though I felt like a complete cannibal, I must say this tasted amazing! It’s green because I pureed the squash, skin and all. Yes, I always eat the skin. Yes, I’m lazy. :)
Don’t forget, you have until midnight tonight, Saturday, October 31 to receive 50% off all online yoga classes at YogaDownload. Simply use the coupon code Halloween at checkout, and in other exciting news, Zesty Cook, designer of HEAB’s new look, is giving away a blog makeover. Click here for a chance to win.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

VeggieGirl October 31, 2009 at 6:09 am

HAHA!! Love Diana’s dare – you totally rocked out the kabocha jack-o-lantern :-D

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!

Jessica October 31, 2009 at 6:19 am

OMGosh I love that your carved the kobocha! I kind of like it more than a pumpkin with the green. Looks ‘cool.’ :)

glidingcalm October 31, 2009 at 6:21 am

HAHA! so cuteeee

balancejoyanddelicias October 31, 2009 at 6:33 am

WOOOOOOO!!! Heather! You’re such a genius!!! I love love love this kabocha “face” so cute and yummy~~~
happy halloween!

Marina October 31, 2009 at 6:33 am

:) )))))) It looks really cute. And yummy. Good thing you ate it :)
Happy Haloween!

Gina October 31, 2009 at 6:36 am

Hahaha, you’re too cute, I love Mr. Kabocha Head.

livingfreeforever October 31, 2009 at 6:58 am

Mr. Kabocha head is hilarious! You are so creative:)

CaSaundra October 31, 2009 at 7:01 am

Heather!! This totally made my morning…you never cease to surprise me–have a spooky day filled with..kobocha :-)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 31, 2009 at 7:11 am

Haha ok now I see – I was assuming Mr. Kabocha Head got re-roasted or similar, but the smoothie was probably a better idea. :)

homecookedem October 31, 2009 at 7:18 am

Only you would do something so crazy! Love ya HEAB!! :) Happy Halloween!!!!!!

Carolyn October 31, 2009 at 7:51 am

That’s great…he’s very cute, Kab-ouch!-a, … Happy Halloween!

*He’s with Wilson now…

I think you should make some especially Scaaaaaaary looking foods to post for your dinner picture…

leslie October 31, 2009 at 7:57 am

this made my day! i love it.

i always eat the skin off my squashes. you’re not alone! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 31, 2009 at 8:04 am

Oh HEABy, I love you :) What a great idea!!! One year, I got bored and carved those tiny little gourds into faces… this is MUCH better!

Justine October 31, 2009 at 8:07 am

Love it Heather Pie!! You are so cute, you and your little squashes. GOSH, I love buttercup. I am so making some for lunch and dinner today. What more festive than eating a pumpkin??

Also loving your knew bloggie. Gosh I need to redo mine. Its starting to look ghetto!!

~Justine

Jessie October 31, 2009 at 8:27 am

Mr. Kabocha is so cute! I have never tried eating squash skin before, but seeing you do it makes me want to try. :)

Tou Tou October 31, 2009 at 8:28 am

Mr. Kabocha looks very very healthy !!! :-D so many greens!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 31, 2009 at 8:28 am

How Cute!!!

Have a great Halloween :)

Jess October 31, 2009 at 8:33 am

I am going to have a conniption if I don’t find Kabocha soon! Grrr… :) Haha, love what you did with it!
<3 jess
xoxo

Erica October 31, 2009 at 9:02 am

hahahhaha this was an awesome idea. Diana cracks me up. Love what you did with your little “pumpkin”- hope he was yummy. Happy Halloween!

Tina October 31, 2009 at 9:03 am

Haha that’s so cute! I love the idea of putting it in an AB jar too.

Katie October 31, 2009 at 9:09 am

Girl you got style, but not as much Kombucha Jack! I think he’s adorable and dare I say one of the best carved Kombacha’s I’ve ever seen or only, but really does that matter? LOL

Hanna M. October 31, 2009 at 9:25 am

OMG, I suddenly see a scary face in the almond butter jar on the top of the page! Can you see it too??

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hanna M. Now that you mention it, yes I can. Creepy.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 31, 2009 at 9:25 am

I always eat the skin too- I’ve often wondered if that’s ok.

Mr. Kabocha head is Mr. Potato head’s evil cousin (and darned cute too!) Love the brussel sprout accents! Very creative!

D

gina (fitnessista) October 31, 2009 at 9:35 am

hahahah i LOVE it.
glad you integrated your kobocha head into some AB– true heaby style right there :D
have a wonderful night <3

rinalyn October 31, 2009 at 9:41 am

Hey! First off, the kabocha is super cute! I just started reading healthy eating blogs. I ran across yours yesterday and just though you were absolutely fabulous. I also really like Healthy Ambition’s blog, but I noticed she suddenly stopped blogging, which seems out of character for a daily blogger. I hate to ask, but do you know if she’s okay?

rin

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Rin, Thanks for reading. Not sure what happen to Healthy Ambition, but I’ve been meaning to email her. I know she was going to be traveling for a few months, but I haven’t heard anything from her in ages. I’m sure everything is alright, and hopefully, we’ll hear from her soon!

Carrie October 31, 2009 at 9:43 am

You really should spread some wings and experiment with some squash soup recipes. This one is warm, comforting and rich and revitalizing for the body:

1 cup of black beans, some kombu seaweed, 2 TB oil, 3 garlic cloves, 1 onion chopped, tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 2.5 cups canned tomatoes, half of kabocha squash (seeded, cut into small cubes), 2 tsps miso, 2 celery stalks, cilantro sprigs. Serve 4. Simmer the beas. Transfer to pot, add kombu and 3 cups water. Boil, cover, simmer, cook 90 minutes (until beans done). Combine oil and spices in a skillet, stir, add tomatoes and squash, 1 cup water. Boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, add miso. Add beans (drain liquid first) to the vegetables in skillet, simmer until all liquid absorbed. serve in celery and its ready. Serves 4. Serve a hot bowl of bean and kabocha squash stew alongside a mound of rice and greens.

Nice picture.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Carrie, Thanks for the soup recipe. Sounds perfect for the upcoming cooler months. Hoping to do some soup experiments soon!

Evan Thomas October 31, 2009 at 9:43 am

Kabocha carving, definitely a new sport :-)

carolinebee October 31, 2009 at 9:45 am

aha only a blogger, I love it Heath!!!!!!!!!

joelygolightly October 31, 2009 at 9:48 am

Haha oh that is classic! Happy Halloween!!

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

missyrayn October 31, 2009 at 9:49 am

Haha…why not have fun with your food right? :-)

Erin October 31, 2009 at 9:50 am

I think from the look on Mr. Kombucha’s face, he knew what was coming from the very beginning. I wonder if I can follow suit with an acorn squash…

I hear you on waking up with a warm beverage – it’s such a nice tradition, especially in the colder weather!

Shelby October 31, 2009 at 9:50 am

That is just awesome Heather!

Happy Halloween!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 31, 2009 at 9:57 am

Hahaha perfect ;)

marissa8161 October 31, 2009 at 9:59 am

That’s awesome, and so cute! I loled at the picture with the knife in his head–he looks so shocked. :D

Mama Pea October 31, 2009 at 10:13 am

This is scary. I absolutely thought of doing the same thing. I didn’t want to waste a single smidge of kabocha though. I’ve done that with the jar and steamed kabocha pudding too. It just always looked so nasty I couldn’t bear to put it on the blog :)

Happy Halloween!!!

Colleen Cameron October 31, 2009 at 10:51 am

Cutest pumpkin ever, Heather!
More people should eat their pumpkins after they carve it!
P.s.- Thank you for commenting on my blog, dear! You are such a wonderful influence!

Graze With Me October 31, 2009 at 11:07 am

Love it! I’m glad you ate him too. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who always eats the skin. Actually I eat the skin on every squash I cook. Mmm, fiber.

Diana October 31, 2009 at 11:13 am

Ahaha omg, so cute :D

Food-Fitness-FreshAir October 31, 2009 at 11:31 am

Fun post!

Adi (oatonomy.com) October 31, 2009 at 11:59 am

A giant, edible squash head?
So awesome!

organicashley October 31, 2009 at 3:06 pm

oh man I love your carved kabocha why didnt I think of that!

Kate October 31, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Poor Mr. Kabocha head. Hahah, this is hilarious! I never really thought of carving any other squash besides pumpkin before, but hey, why not right?

Abby October 31, 2009 at 3:30 pm

LOVE It.. How fun. AND nothing went to waste. What a super Halloween :)

Pure2Raw Twins October 31, 2009 at 3:45 pm

LOVE IT!!! I almost got Kabocha tonight at the store…now I wish I did : ( Have a great Halloween!!

Carrie October 31, 2009 at 3:59 pm

If there were ever going to be a runner-up for the Title of your Blog it would change from Heather Eats Almond Butter to Heather Eats Kabocha Squash. I have never seen it. But I see the other varieties. How does it differ from sweet potato or butternut squash?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Carrie, Kabocha squash is sweeter than butternut…if you get a good one. I had one tonight that wasn’t fully ripe, and it did not taste nearly as sweet. Anyway, they are normally sweeter than butternut, but not as sweet as sweet potatoes. The texture is a bit dry when roasted (great for fry making!) – not mushy and not at all stringy like butternuts. My favorite winter root vegetable for sure. HEKS…I dunno. Doesn’t flow quite like HEAB. :)

jacobc October 31, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Lmao!! To cute!
Pooooor punkin.. but to yummy for his own good ;-)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 31, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Love it! And I like the kabocha with the skin on too :)

BTW, that Heather Pomegranate Pie looked awesome!

Emily October 31, 2009 at 9:35 pm

hhaha! What a foodie-licious halloween! That is an intriguing concoction!

BroccoliHut October 31, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Great idea to make your kabocha dual purpose–decoration AND delicious eats!

Whole Body Love October 31, 2009 at 11:08 pm

How fun! We are stealing your Kabocha Head idea next year, thanks!

Emily November 1, 2009 at 3:16 am

Hey Heather! I’ve been reading your blog since I got back, and I love it! Sorry I haven’t commented. I’ve been lazy. I want some of your maple nut oaties!! Mmmm.

Shannon November 2, 2009 at 11:09 pm

hehehe, you crack me up!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 3, 2009 at 8:37 am

Haha, I love Mr. Kabocha Head :) I tried spaghetti squash this past week and I think I’m ready to try some others now too!

{ 1 trackback }