She's Finally Here

by HEAB on November 1, 2009

Yesterday was the day. Lululemon’s showroom in Nashville had it’s grand opening, and I skipped out on CD’s 10K race to attend. You can see where my priorities lie. Hehe – sorry CD!

images.jpeg
If you’re unfamiliar with Lululemon, you can read the history behind this amazing line of athletic wear here. Their products are pricey. The one pair of Lululemon pants I own, I bought for 50% off at a local yoga studio. However, I do have to say that they are my favorite piece among the many pairs of workout bottoms I own. After 6 months of weekly wear and tear, they still look like new. More importantly, my bum looks really good in them. ;)
So, needless to say, I was beyond excited to hear that Lululemon would be opening in Nashville, and the grand opening celebration did not disappoint. Gillian St. Clair, one of my first very yoga instructors, was there to teach a class, and before our first Down Dog, she danced for us.

Gillian’s background is in dance, and she has an AMAZING yoga practice. In fact, when she taught at my local gym, I used to get there early just so I could watch her warm-up. She is so full of grace, and to watch her move is completely mesmerizing.
Then it was our turn….

We flowed to live drums, and I was so excited to pop right up into Side Crow as I haven’t been working on arm balances lately. Love it when that happens. The store plans to hold a free yoga class with a different instructor every Saturday. Thanks Lululemon!
After class, I got to talk to an old friend.

So good to see you Galit!
She talked me to into buying this…

Carolyn, that pose is for you. :)
OK, so I didn’t need much convincing for this hoodie purchase, but why is it so much easier to talk yourself into buying new clothes when your girlfriends are around? Am I right?
After class, I came home and celebrated my fun morning with a fun lunch.
Pizza with steamed veggies and cashew cheeze sauce.
I’ve decided to experiment with goat cheese. Dairy is not my friend, but I’ve read that some people with dairy allergies can handle goat dairy products. So, a while back, I bought a little hunk of raw goat cheese. Yesterday, I decided to dig it out of the fridge and make myself a pizza. For the crust I used a brown rice tortilla, and the sauce was a couple of spoonfuls of organic tomato sauce mixed with a pinch of stevia powder. It was fun to eat melted cheese again.
Hope everyone enjoyed their Halloween as much as I did. Happy Sunday!

Evan Thomas November 1, 2009 at 9:03 am

I love goat cheese. I think the tang just makes it more interesting. Liberte makes some great goat milk yogurt yogurt with inulin

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 9:06 am

Thanks Evan. I’ve had goat milk yogurt before, but never the Liberte brand. I’ll be sure to check it out.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 1, 2009 at 9:09 am

I’m such a huge fan of goat cheese!! I try to use it as often as possible… it makes a great creamy pesto sauce with some basil and garlic! I wish they’d suck it up and open a lululemon near me… the closest one is almost an hour away! Have a great Sunday HEAB!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 1, 2009 at 9:12 am

Heather! You’re such a cute yogini :)

And OMG I never would’ve even looked at the automatically-generated related posts on my blogpost today if you hadn’t mentioned it. LOL I have no idea how that “F*** I’m mad” one relates… I’m afraid to click on it!

Love ya!

Jessica November 1, 2009 at 9:21 am

I’m so jealous. There is not a LuLu ANYWHERE close to me! I want one here!!!

Blair Rowan November 1, 2009 at 9:23 am

yay! awesome pics. i’m going to try the pizza you made today:)

Erica November 1, 2009 at 9:26 am

Hey hey! How are you? What a fun event! Their clothes are totally amazing and I bet doing the yoga to live music was a blast. You look adorable in the new hoodie. I can always convince myself to buy clothes when friends are around ;) . I am making some cashew cream for the first time tonight! I’m using it in a vegan soup tomorrow. What are your favorite other uses for the cream?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Hey Erica, Cashew cream is great. I love using it for raw cheeze sauce (so good on stinky broccoli!), and Gena has a great recipe for cashew pizza cheese . Add a little vanilla and stevia and you have a the perfect sweet topping for fresh fruit, frosting for baked goods, fruit dip, etc. The possibilities are endless when it comes to cashews. Let me know how your soup turns out. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Janna (Just Flourishing) November 1, 2009 at 9:27 am

I love Lulu! It’s so weird that it’s just making it’s way to some places in the US as we’ve had it in Canada for so many years!

I think I need to pop in for some new purchases :)

I’m a big goat cheese fan. With minimal exceptions, it’s the only dairy I eat. I actually had mini goat cheese pizzas the other day!

VeggieGirl November 1, 2009 at 9:36 am

IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE!! Love that store.

Maggie November 1, 2009 at 9:36 am

If you’re into blue cheese, you should try some different raw blue cheeses. So. Freaking. Good. Whole Foods will let you sample all their cheeses before you buy, too. Actually they will let you sample pretty much anything if you just ask.

Totally agree that it’s easier to buy things when girlfriends are around. I’ve been shopping my week away with a friend, and it was SO fun :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Maggie, I bought some of the raw bleu cheese last week after seeing you post about it, but after I got it home, I noticed it contained both goat and cow milk. Ate a bit anyway. So strong , and I loved it as I’ve always been a huge fan of bleu cheese. I need to go back to Whole Foods and hit them up for some samples. :)

Carrie November 1, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi Heather

Let us know how the goat cheese goes for you. I have had bad reactions to some cheese in the past, but I have read also that goat cheese and goat yogurt are actually better digested.
I was going to eliminate cheese altogether, but it has resulted in me eating ridiculous (very ridiculous) amounts of nut butter and nuts and seeds. I am not sure what is the lesser of the two evils. You have given me courage to brave the dairy world again with goat cheese. Maybe I will have some with a snack later today.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Carrie, I felt fine after the goat cheese. No bloating or anything! However, I know if I OD on the dairy, my body fights back with infections, and that makes me scared to ever eat too much. So, perhaps some goat cheese every once in a while? Some days, I just want some melted cheese, ya know?

Oh, and copius amounts of nut butter? Welcome to my world. :)

Kristen November 1, 2009 at 9:49 am

I never thought dairy bothered me in any big sense, but I haven’t had cow’s milk in months and my skin and digestion both seem smoother. (Cheese doesn’t seem to affect me much.) I can’t get over how good almond milk is, either!

Yay for your awesome yoga day!

Shelby November 1, 2009 at 9:58 am

Mmm, that pizza is making my mouth water! I must make some!

justrun November 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

How great! I’m so jealous of the store– then again, my bank account is probably thankful!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 1, 2009 at 10:10 am

When I was still in San Diego, Lulu opened over the summer. They did a rooftop community (free) class on the top of the W Hotel. And the teacher was a longtime friend of mine. So old teacher friend, free yoga, Lulu, W Hotel…yeah, it was a perfect day for me!!!! So glad your Lulu experience was joyous as well!

I have so much info re goat cheese and dairy issues. If you wanna chat, email me my dear. Basically the casein protein structure in goat cheese is slightly molecularly different than in cow’s milk, but it’s still the dairy (casein) protein and after hanging out on allergy boards and food groups extensively I have realized that some people can tolerate goat’s milk, but not all. For me, dairy is dairy is dairy. I hope for you since you want to indulge that you can handle it! Girl I could write a thesis on this sorry…. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info. Averie. I felt fine after my pizza yesterday – no bloating or anything which usually happens a few hours after I eat dairy. However, my body reacts to large amounts of dairy with infections, and so I’m always scared to eat it a lot of it. Used to plow through 2 Costco sized tubs of cottage cheese every week along with whey protein and tons of Greek yogurt as well. Thought I was eating so well, but I had chronic infections (mostly UTI). They’ve all gone away since I gave up dairy. My once a month fro-yo party doesn’t seem to bother me, and so maybe a little goat cheese every so often won’t do any harm either. We shall see. :)

Abby November 1, 2009 at 10:12 am

How lucky are you to have a Lululemon.. AMAZING. Looks like an incredible event.
Yummy lunch! Love brown rice tortillas! :)

MelissaNibbles November 1, 2009 at 10:30 am

Great class! The live drums must’ve made for a fun atmosphere. I’m going to look into whether the Lulu near me offers something similar.

Erin November 1, 2009 at 10:32 am

That looks so fun! I am totally jealous of the Lulu class and the hoodie! Looks super comfy! Your posts make me miss yoga…I need to rectify that today!

Susan November 1, 2009 at 10:39 am

That sounds like a wonderful class! There aren’t any Lululemon stores in my province, let alone city. They donated a bunch of clothes to my mother’s women’s centre last year though, and she let me take a few pieces ;) And free yoga is always goooood!

joelygolightly November 1, 2009 at 10:43 am

Oh my gosh, I love Lululemon! Everytime I go in there it’s like entering paradise (that and Whole Foods), but the prices are too much for my budget usually. I was thisclose to buying a hooded raincoat from them the last time I was in… Glad to see their yoga classes are good too- I’ve been meaning to make it over to one.

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com)

Christina November 1, 2009 at 11:05 am

Heather, would love to hear how you did with the goat cheese. My problem is we buy a hunk of it and then I eat it for the whole week. Need to limit it to once a week for me, I think.

Hugs to you! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Hey Christina, Felt fine after the goat cheese. No bloating or anything! However, I know if I OD on the dairy, my body fights back with infections, and that makes me scared to ever eat too much. So, perhaps some goat cheese every once in a while? I really do miss the melty goodness sometimes. Hope you and Scott had a good weekend!

Katie November 1, 2009 at 11:52 am

I LOVE Lulemon just wish I could afford it! Free yoga sign me up ;) Let me know how goat cheese works… Dairy upsets mine too, but I really miss the melty cheesy goodness.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Katie, Felt fine after the goat cheese. No bloating or anything! However, I know if I OD on the dairy, my body fights back with infections, and that makes me scared to ever eat too much. So, perhaps some goat cheese every once in a while? I miss the melty cheesy goodness too.

Diana November 1, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Goat cheese is so good :)
Hope you’re having a great day!

missyrayn November 1, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I’m so jealous. They just opened one in Dedham, MA near where I go for meetings about once a month. I’m looking forward to checking it out sometime.

Mama Pea November 1, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I’m sure CD felt the same way about you hitting that store as my hubs feels about me going to Costco just to smell the VitaMix today :) I’m glad you didn’t walk away empty handed!

Pure2Raw twins November 1, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Jealous…. haha. I have heard so much about Lulemon… I think I might have to dive in buy something :) If you think having a friend is easy in convincing you to buy something try having a twin sister :) But hey — we get two wardrobes of it! Double bonus!! Now for the goat cheese… the sis and I can not handle dairy products either and used to enjoy goat cheese. But than really wanted to try not eating all dairy (goat milk included) to see how our bodies did. We miss goat cheese from a time to time… it was funny just the other day at the store we were debating in getting some raw goat cheese as our halloween “treat” but we did not. Maybe one day I will give it a try again. Our tummies did like the goat cheese better due to how goat cheese’s protein structure is different, though we still could not eat a lot of it! :( But maybe that is a good thing :)

eatmovelove November 1, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I love Goat Cheese – hah – I never thought I would even say that, but I like the tangy taste actually. Lululemon is great…I’ve bought a few of their pants, but I’m not a huge fan of them mostly because of the high price (!) and also I find alot of their clothes is too form-fitting. I’m pretty small but I prefer looser, fitting clothes especially for yoga (I don’t want to feel toooo aware of how my body looks and feels :) ). I love pizza ! Have never made it with a tortilla before, I always worried it would be too thin, but I’ll give it a go. Enjoy your sunday!

Nicole November 1, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Hooray for Lulu! We have 3 or 4 of ‘em here in DC…which is actually a problem, because it’s almost TOO easy to run out and splurge on cute new workout duds :)

On another topic that has nothing to do with Lu, I have a question for you, HEAB…what brand of stevia do you use? I do like Truvia but it’s on the pricey side, and although I’ve seen other brands at Whole Foods, I’ve heard that some can be bitter/gross. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Nicole, Funny you should ask as I’m doing a post on my current stevia of choice tomorrow along with a giveaway. I’m really liking the taste of the NuNaturals brand. Better than Truvia in my opinion. I received some samples from the company over the summer, and out of all the brands I’ve tried, it’s honestly my favorite thus far. Their powder does contain maltodextrin as a carrying agent. I don’t have a problem with this, but some do. I hear that Stevia in the Raw is nothing but stevia, but I have yet to try that brand. Hope this helps. P.S. – I would be completely broke if I lived in DC. :)

lola November 1, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I’ve never tried goat cheese! but yesterday i bought some delicious whole wheat tortillas and i think i’ll be making pizza today! maybe i’ll use panela cheese :P

Jenny November 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm

sounds like an amazing experience!

goat cheese is the mother of all cheeses — glad you were able to enjoy it despite your dairy woes!

Megan November 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm

My bod is anti-dairy but goat cheese and i have become good friends!! Although, I find that when I have too much of it, I do start to feel very mildly strange, digestion wise….. (borderlining TMI, sorry). But in smaller(ish) amounts, it is a godsend!

On another note, I am wondering if you can make a suggestion for me– As the goddess of blending & blendy foods, I am hoping you can recommend a good blender/blending device! I am going to be traveling a lot over the next two months and have sadly decided that it’s just too risky to take the Vitamix along, so I need something to make smoothies with that wouldn’t be a massive loss if it got hurt. I’m sure I could just buy something random, but I am not sure what out there will be able to blend up my frozen fruit for smoothies! Any ideas? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Megan, It’s been so long since I’ve used any other blender besides my Vita, but I’ve heard really good things about the Back to Basics blender as well at the Magic Bullet . I know Smoothie Girl Deb travels with her Back to Basics all the time. If only the Vita-Mix people made a portable version. ;)

Megan November 1, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Awesome, thanks girrrrl.

Shari B. November 1, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Hey Heather! MAJOR congrats on the Lululemon store, wahooo! After your mention of it a while back I did in fact go in to the one here in Colorado. :) The yoga pants will have to wait till I have a more regular paycheck coming in but I’ll DEFINITELY go back!

Someone may have already mentioned this in the comments (I tried to scan through them) but I’ve read (and personally had better luck with) that the raw unpasteurized cheese made from goat’s milk is better on the system & more easily digested, if that’s any help to you. The brand I’ve been using is “Mt Sterling Co-op Creamery” and they have a sharp ‘cheddar’ that doesn’t taste so ‘goat-y’. :)

Have a great Sunday evening!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Shari B. I haven’t tried the Mt. Sterling brand. I’ll be on the lookout.

Carolyn November 1, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Googled Lululemon in Michigan… Five minutes from my old house…the perfect location… but alas 1.5 hrs from me now.. So until i make a pilgrimage there on purpose i am just going to say Lululemon outloud a lot cause it’s really a fun word.. :-) Love your new jacket, glad you went for it… and you did that look waaaay better than she ever could… ;-)

Re: feeling like your bum looks good in the Lululemon work out pants…?? That is worth any amount of money!!!

I did get a fun tie-front mohair vesty thing, by Nomadic Traders, at REI today (real big problem with REI directly next door to WFd’s thing… ) So, when i cook my Kabocha i will be very stylish, if not flexible…

Glad the goat cheese worked out…I love dairy and imagine the additional food combo possibilities that will come pouring out of your brain for us, if you can throw a little dairy in once in a while…

Carolyn November 1, 2009 at 5:12 pm

For what it’s worth… Wen ever i have had to supplement weaning puppies diet (to soften dry food etc) for whatever reason, goatsmilk products are what we use… because of the gentle on the tummy factor…

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Carolyn, Yes, I used to feed my puppies goat milk yogurt on occasion, but it’s so pricey. Might have to buy some for myself, but hoping not to go overboard, even with the goat stuff. REI next to Whole Foods? I’d be in big trouble. If it makes you feel any better, Lululemon is upstairs from my Whole Foods, and one block over is Trader Joe’s. Not a good square mile for my wallet. ;)

Jenny November 1, 2009 at 5:13 pm

p.s. quick question for you my love — I’m not quite sure if you’ve mentioned this before but do you usually do yoga right when you wake up?? do you eat something before your practice?? okay, 21 questions over – thanks :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Jenny, I’m kind of all over the place with my yoga. Ideally, I like to do it first thing in the morning, but very few studios in town offer early morning classes. So, if I make it to a 6 AM class, all I have prior to class is coffee and water. Most classes I attend are later in the morning, and I always eat breakfast before hand. I try not to eat at least 2 hours before class as I know you should not practice on a full stomach. However, if I’m starving and in a rush, I’ll just grab a banana or make a light smoothie. Never seems to bother me during class. P.S. I never mind questions – don’t ever hesitate to ask. :)

Kate November 1, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Goat cheese is awesome! I’m glad to hear that it doesn’t upset your stomach. Looks like a fun lunch! I love making homemade pizzas too.

thelocalguide November 1, 2009 at 7:41 pm

i’ve never tried anything of this kind but looks very relaxing.

peaceandpeanutbutter November 1, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed some yummy goat cheese!

I’m so jelous that you have Lululemon close to you (although that can be very dangerous!) I really want a pair of their yoga pants :-) Maybe I should put it on my Christmas list!!

eatmovelove November 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Hey Heather,
I was curious if you only take Yoga at studios or if you also practice at home/on your own, etc. I was wondering about any online sites/downloads or something for free?? Any suggestions from you or anyone ? :) I just did up a post funnily enough on Yoga today and its relation to running, life, all that corny stuff :) – have a great night …time for some (more) chocolate – don’t know if that’s a :) or a :( …hahah

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm

EatMoveLove, I practice at both studios and at home. Studio fees can get to be pretty pricey, and so being able to practice at home is great. Below are some recommendations that I just emailed to another reader, and I hope the info. helps you as well. Also hope you enjoyed your chocolate. Definitely a :)

As far as yoga DVD’s go, I really like Polly’s DVD, and I have some of the Sarah Ivanhoe DVD’s as well. They are all great. I also like finding free yoga online:

– Polly has some great online videos perfect for beginners. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you. – Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts! – I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga -sequence/. – Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://www.yogatothepeople.com/tryOnlineClass.shtml – You can try tons of free 20 minute classes over at http://www.yogadownload.com, one of my favorite yoga websites. Love all their classes!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 1, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Warning from from a Torontonian (who has a Lulu at every mall) . . . it’s so gosh darn comfortable and well let’s say it, butt flattering . . . you might be broke soon!

psychoj1 November 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Adorable jacket! Love it–looks soo warm!! :)

That store sounds fabulous!

<3 jess
xoxo

gina (fitnessista) November 1, 2009 at 9:24 pm

i want to take a yoga class at lulu with you!
that looks amazing!!! can you believe i don’t own anything from lululemon? terrible, i know. i just can bring myself to spend the dollas, even though i know it’s worth it. when it gets to be in the $100s for pants though, i always pick the designer jeans over the yoga pants. i’m hoping that will change :D
have a great night <3

charlotte November 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Oooh, so fun! I wish we had a lululemon here. Or maybe I don’t;) Actually what I really wish is that I could just “pop up into side crow.” You go, girl!

Whole Body Love November 1, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I wonder if Nashville is now the closest Lulu to me…I’m about to google it! Love the new pants!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 1, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Soooooo how was the cheese experiment??

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 2, 2009 at 6:57 am

Deb, Felt fine after cheese – no bloating. However, if I overdo the dairy, my body fights back with infections. So, I’m scared to eat a lot of it, but perhaps some goat cheese every once in a while will be fine, like my once-a-month fro-yo. :)

Mandy November 2, 2009 at 12:07 am

Love your instructor’s pose. And legwarmers. Legwarmers are so going on my Christmas list.

I used to eat brown rice tortilla pizzas all the time. Hope the goat cheese pleases your belly!

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 2, 2009 at 6:56 am

Mandy, That is so funny. I was just googling leg warmers yesterday. I wanted some last year, but never got any. This year for sure!

CaSaundra November 2, 2009 at 7:27 am

Looks like a great pizza–I have actually never had goat cheese!!
And that hoodie is adorable–looks comfy!

dailygoods November 2, 2009 at 9:39 am

ahh i wish there was a lululemon closer to me! i need to drive to one soon. i have a pair of pants from there that i feel like are the most amazing pants ive ever owned. they’re expensive, but they LAST! i want a pair of black ones :) maybe for xmas! I tried my first kabocha squash this weekend heather!! you’d be so proud! posted it on the bloggy! yay

DiningAndDishing November 2, 2009 at 9:48 am

i loooove lulus! i bought my first pair a few years ago and will wear them ANYWHERE i can get away with it. (including the office!) i know they are pricey but i swear the first time i bought a pair i was instantly hooked! like you said, they last forevvver and make any butt look amazing. :O)

Lara (Thinspired) November 3, 2009 at 9:01 am

I bet you were in Heabie Heaven at this event! :) How fun. I love the new pants ;)

Galit November 4, 2009 at 9:17 pm

So good seeing you and -yes I still think that you needed that jacket! See you at more lululemon classes!