Why Why & Why

by HEAB on November 4, 2009

Why you should sometimes question the FDA’s motives…

immunityx.jpg
Why wouldn’t you want to help support your child’s immune system with the following ingredients every morning?

RICE, SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, ANHYDROUS DEXTROSE), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (ONE OR MORE OF: COCONUT, SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED)?, SALT, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM CARBONATE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

Why everyone should have a membership to Costco…

3 lbs almonds for $9.89.

Organic spinach for $3.99.

2.2 lbs (35 ounces) of Fage Greek yogurt for $6.69.

Sabra Hummus for $5.99.

Seven For All Mankind Ladies Bootcut Jean for $94.99…this one still makes CD cringe. ;)

26 ounces of Maranatha roasted almond butter for $5.75.

Why I love my readers…

My breakfast this morning after not one, but two HEABers suggested I try kabocha and apple slices on bread (thanks PeonyJen and Nicole). I served mine on a piece of fresh-from-the-oven millet bread with Sunbutter (I love it too Ashley!) and covered everything in pumpkin pie spice. Lovely fall-ish breakfast, no?

Hope the sun is out where you live. Looks like it’s going to be a beautiful day here in Nashville. :)

Erica November 4, 2009 at 9:21 am

Ugh….I can’t believe that about the cereal. <3 Costco. I need to go back- I want more maranatha! Hope you are having a fabulous broccoli filled day!

Evan Thomas November 4, 2009 at 9:22 am

I was watching them talk about Rice Krispies on the Today show. It’s silly that increasing vitamins A, C, and E would let them make the claim boosts immunity, but it’s also very clear to see how they can make that claim and why it probably won’t be forced away. I think this is why consumers really should learn how to read nutrition labels rather than the front of boxes. We all know oatmeal doesn’t have enhanced Vitamin A, C, or E but eating it is a much better option

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 4, 2009 at 9:24 am

Heather, your readers love you right back!

Speaking of love, kabocha = love :)

Melanie November 4, 2009 at 9:25 am

It’s funny that you blogged about the cereal today…I’m reading Michael Pollan’s *In Defense of Food* and I just went through his section about what “real food” is…he specifically mentioned the artificiality of breakfast cereals and how the FDA allows their health claims on the box…great way to screw up our kids, there!

The kabocha/apple/bread combo looks pretty good, so I think I’ll be giving that one a shot in the near future…now just have to find the squash…..

Sarah R November 4, 2009 at 9:26 am

Ugh the cereal debacle makes me cringe. I wish we had a Costco, we’ve only got Sams and it doesn’t have near the inventory that Costco does. :(

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 4, 2009 at 9:26 am

For some reason the Costcos that I go to are always behind!!! I finally found Maranatha a couple weeks ago, which made my life complete by the way!! I can’t believe you found Fage and Sevens!!! I gotta go back and check to see if they have those now. My favorites are the mini bries, mini peppers, and 2 pound bag of pecans :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 4, 2009 at 9:28 am

We have Sam’s Club but the Costco is further away. They have Seven’s at your Costco?!? Wow. I made need to make a trip.

Yasmin November 4, 2009 at 9:30 am

You have me convinced to get my Costco card! Especially with those FAGE Greek yogurts my lover!

MelissaNibbles November 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

Now I know why my boyfriend doesn’ t want us to get a Costco membership.

Heather November 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

that makes me nauseous that that kind of advertising is allowed….grrrrr.
how dumb.
thanks for sharing though! :)

Maggie November 4, 2009 at 9:37 am

No fair! My Costco never had those jeans :(

The Pancake Girl November 4, 2009 at 9:45 am

That cereal thing kills me. I’m not going to lie, I’ve enjoyed the occasional bowl of cocoa krispies as a child, but let’s not pretend it’s the healthiest thing to serve your child! Ay yi yi.. Happy Wednesday!

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

VeggieGirl November 4, 2009 at 9:46 am

LOVE COSTCO!! And BJ’s, which is basically the same thing. Great stuff :)

Brittany November 4, 2009 at 9:47 am

Costco has awesome prices, but sometimes I don’t have enough room in my kitchen for the huge packages. :)

Did you buy the jeans? I’m pretty certain that I would if I saw them at my Costco.

PS I’m know I’m probably late on this, but I just noticed your new header. Love it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:48 am

Hi Brittany, Nope, did not buy the jeans, but been eyeing them for a few weeks now and thanks, I love my new header too. :)

prettyladycmu November 4, 2009 at 9:47 am

I saw a bit on the Today show about the Coco Krispies “Immunity” push and I got so worked up and angry about it. Granted, I think I’d be hard pressed to find a person who actually bought into that nonsense, but it’s still so frustrating that companies are trying to capitalize on the irrational fear surrounding flu and flu season. It’s such nonsense!!

ginnysnews November 4, 2009 at 9:49 am

Heather! I’m at the Frothy Monkey sitting by Scott… are your ears burning???
We think you need to see Food Inc, if you haven’t already!

PS- Scott’s had about 15 glasses of water in the last 5 minutes… I think you almost killed him!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:53 am

Ginny, Hehe. He looked like he was about to die this morning. Sorry Scott! Thanks for reading my blog, and yes, I totally need to see Food Inc. I think I might be the only food blogger who hasn’t seen it yet.

jacobc November 4, 2009 at 9:50 am

lol, coco krispies for immunity!?— Because americans are so gullable!
Some people will even spend $100 on a pair of jeans ;-p

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:54 am

Jacob, I didn’t buy the jeans…not that I didn’t want to. ;)

Ellie November 4, 2009 at 9:54 am

First time reader here! I hate to break it to you, but those Kirkland almonds aren’t actually raw. Any almonds grown in California must be pasteurized by law, since 2007. Unfortunately, California is the only state that grows almonds. At my natural health food store in Toronto, we’re given a choice between “organic pasteurized” almonds from California, and organic raw almonds from Sicily.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:57 am

Ellie, Interesting. Thanks for the info. Oh, and thanks for reading. :)

brandi November 4, 2009 at 9:58 am

Heather – I haven’t seen Food Inc, either :) You’re not the only one!

Your costco is way better than the one near Nick’s parents.

I found Sabra when I was there, and walnuts and pecans (I needed those) but NO Fage, NO almond butter!!! Why, Costco? I was so excited thinking I would find it…and nothin’. Maybe the next time?

I love the breakfast idea! I need another kabocha already.

Happy Wednesday Heather!

Kate November 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

Holy almond butter! I need to get me a Costco membership for sure! I can’t believe the prices on Fage and Maranatha! There’s nothing that amazing at Sam’s Club (where we belong to as of now).

Lara November 4, 2009 at 10:19 am

My Costco doesn’t have Fage either!! I bougth that big bag of almonds once and they were rancid :( Luckily they gave me a refund but I have been scared to buy them ever since.

courtney November 4, 2009 at 10:24 am

Ugh! The ingredients in the cocoa crispies should be criminal to give to little children! That statement on the box is hilarious. It reminds me of this documentary I saw where Dreamworks allowed Shrek to be used as a promotion for kids getting fit to battle obesity…….but wouldn’t you know at the same time he was being used to promote M&M’s and other candy and junk! Hypocrites!

Rebecca November 4, 2009 at 10:26 am

Oh I wish we had a Costco nearby!

Jean November 4, 2009 at 10:29 am

We don’t have a Costco nearby, but I do have a membership to the local Sam’s – haven’t been there for awhile, but maybe I should make a trip to see what’s there! I’m not holding my breath, though…

I love how adventurous you are with your food combinations! I’m going to venture out of my food comfort zone & try some green smoothies this weekend – maybe that will be the push that I need to keep trying other new & exciting things!

missyrayn November 4, 2009 at 10:35 am

The second I live close enough to a Costco I’m trading in my BJ’s membership.

Gotta love the marketing where a company barely fits in the guidlines so they can use the info. Just like how 100 calorie packs are everywhere but they don’t tell you you only get 2 of something and it is full of chemicals. EWW!

Lara (Thinspired) November 4, 2009 at 10:41 am

Seriously, what the F is wrong with the FDA?! How can they sleep at night?!

We buy those almonds :) It always shocks me how fast that bag goes! And Sevens at Costco?! Who knew. BTW, I checked out Joe’s site and our Rockers are still being made. I think you should send the link to CD in case he needs help with holiday gift ideas for you ;)

Carrie November 4, 2009 at 10:42 am

Hi
They talked about that on the Today Show. Nice pictures. I have a few question, do you consider Sabra Hummus healthy ? I worry about all the additives and citric acid.
What is the nutrition information of that mmillet bread? Does it taste like bread or funky ? Can it work with almond flour ?
I would love to try Greek Yogurt, but after reading so much on dairy I am trying to avoid it. I really prefer whey protein to brown rice (brown rice is chalky) but I keep thinking the whey is just not healthy choice.
Did you eat that sandwich as a snack? lunch or dinner? It looks so good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 11:01 am

Carrie, Haven’t calculated nutritionals for the bread, but the ingredients are 2/3 cup millet, 1 TBSP coconut oil, stevia, and salt, and I usually divide recipe into 4 pieces. Love it myself, but might taste funky to others. Never tried it with almond flour.

I don’t eat Greek yogurt anymore, but used to love it back when I ate a lot more dairy. If only my Costco had sold it back then – would have saved me so much money.

Sabra – I don’t consider it horrible. Could be eating much worse. Better to make your own hummus, but I get lazy.

Yes, whey protein tastes better, but I’ve grown to love my brown rice protein. Eat it everyday – definitely a staple in my diet.

I ate the millet bread + Sunbutter + apple + kabocha for breakfast, and it twas quite good. :)

Mandy A November 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

Know what makes me sick about the children’s cereal?? My MIL feeds is to Maddie every day. No matter how many times I ask not to. GRR!

I can’t believe the Almond butter is THAT cheap at costco. I wish it was closer to me!!!! That’s amazing!!!!!!!

Lo November 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

OMG my costco stopped selling marantha and my cousin who is a store manager bck in Kansas said they are all switching to naturallly more. Travesty!

Xoxox
lo

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 10:55 am

Lo, Seriously?!? Travesty, indeed! I’ll be so upset if that’s the case. No longer a fan of Naturally More. Do not like biting down on the little sugar crystals. Blech.

leslie November 4, 2009 at 10:49 am

add oats to that list and those are all my costco staples! except for fage – i need to have my eye out for that. would change life if mine carried it, seriously.

i read about that immunity controversy, and it makes me want to scream. sometimes i feel our country is completely victimized by media and advertising. if you know nothing about nutrition and see a massive sign for “immunity” on a cereal box, how could you not be influenced? those ingredients are the worst of the worst, but most people don’t know any better, and the fda certainly isn’t helping them.

Amy November 4, 2009 at 10:51 am

I’ve been telling my hubby we should take the plunge and join costco. This clinches it for me! Emailing him right now!!

Abby November 4, 2009 at 10:59 am

Seriously, Costco has seven for mankind jeans? Wow.
I used to have “Sams Clubs” by me when I lived in the North.. I havent been to a wholesale place in awhile.. I need to look into that!!

lauradishes November 4, 2009 at 11:11 am

I was just at the Nashville Costco on Saturday (my boyfriend lives there; I live in Atlanta) and I thought of you when I saw the MaraNatha! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 11:35 am

Laura, I was there Saturday afternoon! Did you see me? I was the crazy girl walking around taking photos of everything. Hehe.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 4, 2009 at 11:16 am

Ugh, my two least favorite ingredients (HFCS and trans fat)! I hate it when they recommend a nasty cereal and try to make it sound good. They know people will fall for it too :(

I visited Costco the other day but I didn’t see the huge jars of almond butter. I’m still considering a membership though based off the produce alone.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 11:33 am

Sarah, Totally worth it. CD and buy 95% of our veggies at Costco – saves us tons of money. Now, if only they sold kabocha squash. ;)

Tiffany S. November 4, 2009 at 11:26 am

Yeah, the cereal thing peeves me but I don’t have kids so that’s for parents to work out on their own. Just wish everyone was smart enough to read labels.

Does anyone know why they have to process chocolate with alkali? Sounds scary!

I think our Costco is behind too. I wish I could figure out what size Seven’s I am though, just in case they turn up.

I have to make at least one more Costco run soon – I refuse to go between the week before Thanksgiving through Christmas. Toooooo crazy!

Heabs – we’re supposed to hit a record mid-60′s here in Seattle. Whoot!

Julie November 4, 2009 at 11:26 am

Costco. I want to go to there.

peaceandpeanutbutter November 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

My Connecticut Costco is seriously lacking in the AB and Fage Department!!!!

Beautiful bfast!!

Marissa November 4, 2009 at 11:30 am

You just reminded me that I need to go to Costco ;-) I got some awesome Levi’s for $1749 a few months ago. I buy their medjool dates and they are AWESOME. I wish their nuts were labeled raw…and I wish they were organic, but hey we make do right? I definitely love Costco, even bought new tires there last month! Oh and I just found out by accident that my new boss at the health cafe is the Son of the Founder of Costco. He is an excellent boss, and I can definitely see that his father’s ethics rubbed off on him. <3 Costco!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

Marissa, I get my dates there as well. Love Costco too, and we might own the very same pair of Levi’s. [?] I need to come to Seattle and eat at the health cafe!!!!!

Jessie November 4, 2009 at 11:30 am

I LOVE Costco! Those packages of organic spinach and large jars of almond butter are total life savers. Lucky for me, there is one about 3 miles from my house so I get to go quite often. :)

Mama Pea November 4, 2009 at 11:41 am

You KNOW I totally back you on this post. On The Biggest Loser last night they were talking to senators in Washington about nutrition education and how people simply assume that the food that is on the shelves is safe and healthy because they can’t even begin to IMAGINE that the government would allow these chemicals, toxins and GARBAGE in our food supply. Well guess what? THEY DO.

I agree, Costco has all sorts of hidden treasures. There’s no way CD’s cringing as much as my man is over the Vitamix.

Quix November 4, 2009 at 11:41 am

I love costco! Those jeans are tempting (but I’ll wait until I’m at my goal weight mostprobably). Costco for me has those little 100 calorie packs of hummus (perfect for me for work), giant boxes of honeycrisp apples, bags of snap peas, bags of individual chicken for 2 (perfect for hubby and me dinner), and individually packaged fish.

I’ll definitely have to snag that Fage – that’s way cheap. Last time I bought it at the store I think I paid 2 bucks more for half that size… :)

Diana November 4, 2009 at 11:47 am

Yep, I cringe everytime I see someone buying that kind of cereal. Because people do THINK they are making a good choice… but not really. :|

Chloe November 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

First of all – Costco has 7 JEANS???? How did I not know about this?

Secondly, I think the rice crispies box is ridiculous and have hearing a lot of backlash from them. I’m also glad that they’re getting rid of the “smart choices” campaign.

Chrysta November 4, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Ugh so annoying when you hear about companies falsely labeling “junk” food as being healthy for you. Its no wonder people are so confused about eating! DOnt get me wrong, its ok if you like sugary cereals but I would think would be more like an occasional treat/dessert type thing. Not a healthy breakfast by any means.

Your Costco pics totally reminded me that i NEED to go and renew my membership..Almond butter for 5.75??? Oh Im there!=)

Liz November 4, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Oh ya, let’s start our day with some trans fat, sugar and refined flour! It’s for my immunity right? Geez, what those companies get away with!

Julie @savvyeats November 4, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I guess I always associated Costco with bulk junk food. Apparently I was very, very wrong. I’m going to have to look into a membership!

Andrea@WellnessNotes November 4, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Most kids’ cereals (and for that matter most “food” items market to kids and even toddlers) are not food in my opinion. And it’s scary how many kids eat these (non) foods on a daily basis… And I truly don’t understand why there is a need for “special kids foods.” My toddler is very happily eating “my” oatmeal every morning.

You and I buy the same things at Costco! :) Well, I always stop at the table with the jeans but hubby finds a way to “move me along” very quickly…. One day…. ;)

JENNA November 4, 2009 at 1:05 pm

i NEED to make a mad dash to costco asap!! :)

polly November 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

hi peachy!!

I jsutu came home from SAMS CLUB! I got 3 giant containers of those organic raspberries I am totally loving. They are $5 each, is it wrong to spend $15 on raspberries that will last maybe 2 days? Nah, I didn’t think so either. :P

Okay, baby cakes… what are Seven jeans? I know.. I am a loser. I have no clue. I know.. I don’t do twitter, facebook, or texting on my phone. But I got raspberries and am currently making my own almond butter, so I know that makes me cool. :D hehehehe

Love you have a fabulous day, my peachy peach. XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Pollly, I wouldn’t know much about Seven jeans as I did not buy them. I’m a Joe’s Jeans girl myself.

You know you’ll always be the coolest raspberry eating almond butter maker in my my book. Love you. -H. McPeach

Sasha November 4, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I was at Costco a couple of weeks ago to stock up on Maranatha AB and Larabars only to find that they no longer carry either, and Maranatha has been replaced with Naturally More AB. I died a little inside.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Sasha, So sorry, I will die a little too if they take away my Maranatha.

Becky November 4, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I am hoping my Costco will carry the big containers of Fage as well. I just got back from Greece yesterday and I was eating Fage nearly everyday. We really miss out here in the states on the variety of products they make. Also, it is a lot cheaper even with the conversion rate.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 4, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Don’t even get me started on that horrendous, misleading marketing/packaging. Literally makes me cross-eyed angry.

I’d much rather ogle your fabulous fall-time breakfast. Definitely time for me to make that bread again! Loved it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 4, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Hi Heather, great post! I have a Costco membership but I rarely go….ironically, I end up wasting money there b/c the quantity is just too huge for us on produce and on prepackaged stuff…well, I don’t eat that much. Now I could see for a Nut Butter Queen, that’s the ticket :) I may have to give another look at the produce and see.

Heather if you ever have children, it will make you cringe at all the crap that is hawked and bad info that comes at you, while still pregnant…formula is just as good as breastmilk, epidurals are safe, vaccines are safe, Gerber jarred baby food is safe, sippy cups with BPA are safe, Cocoa Krispies are healthy, Baby Einstein is educational…it goes on and on and on and on….
It actually is such a chore that I dont even talk to people about my choices anymore, I just choose them, let others choose theirs, we’re all friends, but they’re not raising my kid, I am, so my choices are usually mucccccccch different than the average bear’s.
Great post!

Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) November 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm

The FDA seriously makes me sad!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 4, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I heart Costco!

It is like my mecca.

Pure2Raw twins November 4, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I just to go to Sams but now I am a Costco person… though yours seems to carry much better tough than mine. :( Anyways I typically dont buy much from there except onions, lemon, limes and avocado.. since I eat those things daily. I agree with the cereal… it is so sad. And we all wonder why children are obese and getting sick….. FDA needs to be change how they regulate companies. Though that will take awhile due to that fact that all the big companies have all the money to keep things the way they are….and they also put such confusing advertisements out there and in my own opinion they are making americans fat. Just my 2 cents… as you can tell this is a very touchy subject for me…. I can talk about this for hours. But I will shut up now.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Pure2Raw, I agree 100%. Don’t even get me started on the FDA!

charlotte November 4, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I want a Costco SOOOOO badly! That and a Trader Joe’s and I would be in shopping bliss. Instead all I have is Super Target and Sam’s Club. Sigh.

glidingcalm November 4, 2009 at 2:19 pm

i didnt know costco sold those jeans! wow!

awesome breakyyyyyyyyyy!
love you mama!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama November 4, 2009 at 2:28 pm

The FDA needs to get their heads out of you-know-where… grrrr!
I “puffy-pink-heart” Costco!!!

Gina November 4, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Why am I not a Costco member!? I think because I live above a grocery store and that makes me a bit lazy…however it disappoints me that they don’t carry greek yogurt:( I have never heard of Kabocha…is this another sneaky squash type item that I never noticed in the grocery sotre before?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Gina, Oh my gosh, you must try kabocha. My favorite squash! You can read more about it here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/15/gettin-krazy-with-kabocha/

RunToTheFinish November 4, 2009 at 2:39 pm

did you eat the skin of the squash? didn’t know you could do that.

i saw something about that stupid immunity label on the Today show and couldn’t believe it!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 2:50 pm

RunToTheFinish, Yes, I always eat the skin of all squashes…sweet potatoes too. I’m too lazy to peel. :)

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) November 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm

yes, costco is amazing. and your breakfast looks fantastic!

p.s. i have some issues with the FDA, too, but the smart choices program that let sugary cereals become health foods was actually started by an independent group, and the FDA is encouraging them to phase out their labeling. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-thu-kraft-smart-choices-1029oct29,0,445175.story

pps: i tried your interval workout yesterday while trail running, and it was really fun and challenging :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info. Tyler. The Smart Choice labeling program is crazy, and I hope they come to their senses soon. So glad to hear you liked the Mona Fartleks workout. Bet they were challenging on the trails! Have a good night. Love, H.

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) November 4, 2009 at 3:12 pm

oh my gosh, i didn’t even notice the Coco Puffs were saying they give immunity! i think that Fruit Loops is also trying to say that its a good source of fiber. wtf?

gina (fitnessista) November 4, 2009 at 3:14 pm

i wish we had a costco here so BAD. just for the 7s and almond butter alone! we have a sam’s club, but SO not the same
i used to LOVE cocoa crispies back in the day. and fruity pebbles even though they left a film on the milk.. a little alarming that happens
have a wonderful day lovely heaby!

Anne P November 4, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Okay wait… WHAT?!?! Costco has designer jeans?!?!??! That’s awesome!

Shannon November 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

i haven’t seen maranatha at my costco :( but i should rethink my greek yogurt buying if that have that tub of fage!

and yes, i’m confuddled about the immunity claim as well. they must be smokin something over at Kellogg’s :/

Samantha November 4, 2009 at 3:34 pm

That is quite the eye candy for my blog reading this morning!

And yes, the Cocoa Krispies box (among many others) are just sad. What’s sadder is how many people let themselves think what they’re buying is “ok” because it touts whole grains and healthy claims. Ugh!

Shelby November 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Nutritionals on kid’s products make me so sad. They advertise “only 10 grams of sugar per serving!” which is still really high and the serving is only like 3/4 cup!

Mmm, that meal looks lovely! I’ve been obsessed with apples lately. Still no luck find kabocha though :(

Heather November 4, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Another Costco lover. I am admittedly a fan of all 3 bulk stores because they’re all so spaced out from my house that I am forced to go to each of them. Thank goodness for shared memberships :) I also get the gigantic container of medjools there, as well!

Funny someone commented about the “raw” almonds because I was reading about that a few weeks ago and thought it was interesting. I’ll keep buying my “natural” almonds when they’re cheap and “raw” almonds when they’re on sale. This girl is on a budget! :)

Carolyn November 4, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Wow, Costco officially smokes Sam’s Club…… too bad i only have access to Sam’s… Which does not even have a fitting room, or even a mirror, for you to try anything on in any way…I’ve tried jeans on over running shorts ring in the middle of the department, but still…

Those ingredients of the CC Krispies are bad… All it needs is a little MSG and lighter fluid to be a complete food! You’re immune because your insides are pickled…

Biggest kabocha contest? Mine on the counter now, calling to me, is 4 lbs 1.5 oz’s… and it’s a real one.. :-}

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Carolyn, Major kabocha envy at the moment.

Costco doesn’t have a dressing room either. I usually just take them home praying they’ll fit.

Gena November 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Oh, how I wish Costco were a part of my life!

Susan November 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I just got back from Costco!! We don’t have one where I live, so it was the one place I requested to visit while I was home these past couple days. Although, my 26 oz jar of Maranatha almond butter cost me $6.99. Okay, okay, my TWO jars of Maranatha cost me 13.98 :P

sisrocks1996 November 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I like Costco’s boxes of sweet potatoes. Organic well no (and I dont like that), but I can eat one a day and I’m sold! Um yea my family has a history with Kellogs but that box is a travesty! YIKES I don’t think highly processed cereal will help ya out against the flu ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 5:30 pm

sisrocks, I get so excited when our Costco has sweet potatoes. We have a box sitting on our counter right now. They’re always so good!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir November 4, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I definitely agree with you about the FDA…especially when it comes to cereal, they approve wayyy too many sugary, artificially stuffed cereals.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 4, 2009 at 6:16 pm

OK so funny about the coco krispies b/c I actually picked it up in my hands yesterday at the store, contemplating the purchase and then read about the purported IMMUNITY!! I put it back on principle!!

Oh and I have a post on Costco, but I haven’t run it yet. Was going to do that soon…I’m 86d from there basically! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Deb, 86d from my beloved Costco? What happened?!?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 4, 2009 at 6:16 pm

PS I’ve not seen food inc yet either!

steppingoffthecoaster November 4, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Heather, Ive been stalking your blog (in a non-creeper kind of way) for a while and thought I’d finally say HI!! I’m a friend of Mama Pea and she got me hooked! I love visiting your blog… Thanks for sharing your wit and wisdom!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Steppingoffthecoaster, Thanks for stalking me. [?] So glad you finally said “Hi”. I love that Mama Pea – you’re lucky to have her as a friend. :)

Steph November 4, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I didn’t know there were so many horrible things in Cocoa Krispies. Blech. I can’t keep cereal in the house. I have portion control issues and it’s too easy to eat three or four bowls in an entire sitting.

Nicole November 4, 2009 at 6:27 pm

When Dennis got sick with Ulcerative Colitis I started doing a lot of research on the food industry. It’s all about money. It’s sad to know that the owners of Kellogg’s (one of the many) has been able to join forces with government figures so that they can lie to people to make money. How nice. And people buy it! I don’t know what’s worse!
PS Did you buy the jeans?? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Nicole, Nope, more of a Joe’s Jeans girl myself, and yes, it usually boils down to money. Very sad.

Allison November 4, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Here in Columbia, SC, we don’t have a Costco, a Trader Joe’s or even a Whole Foods!! It’s rough, let me tell you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Allison, I think you need to move. Hehe – just kidding. My brother-in-law and his wife just moved to Columbia. He’s the new play-by-play sports announcer for USC. We need to visit them – I’ll make sure to bring them some goods from Trader Joe’s and Costco.

susan November 4, 2009 at 7:15 pm

oops, i didn’t realize my name was listed as “steppingoffthecoaster”… dummmmy! i’ll get the hang of this some day… i suppose “stalking” was not the best term.

how about, just casually reading and appreciating???

anyway, thanks! =)

marla November 4, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Great post Heather!! Here is what I have to say about the “Smart Choices” program that endorses “Fruit Loops” for our kids: BTW, who the —- are they kidding with that program?

Chris Hill November 4, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Heather,

Not only should you be a spokeswoman for almond butter but also for Costco!

Heather actually talked me into buying a Costco card! I am sure Costco appreciates you!

~Chris :-)

Runeatrepeat November 4, 2009 at 7:44 pm

My Costco doesn’t have almond butter :( But I still love them!

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Your Costco place has much more nice stuff than ours !! I never see the Fage and AB in coscto!!
Luky you!

Cherie November 4, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Costco has Sevens?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Yeah, Lucky brand as well.

Lesley Living Life November 4, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I don’t live by a Costco but I’m officially jealous!

eatmovelove November 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

OH MY GOSH – MARANATHA AB FOR ONLY 5.95!!! It costs me about that much for 1 jar here…that I eat in like 4 days…seriously must get COSTCO membership …or move to Cali …I WISH!! oi :)
I wish I could find this Kobucha around here – it looks soooo good. I also eat the skin off my squash(es??!) – it gets so soft when it’s baked anyways and I’m also too lazy…oh well, it’s a tasty, fibrous way to be lazy :)

PeonyJen November 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm

oh my goodness, I JUST posted a link to the Cocoa Krispies story on Facebook yesterday. What a shame that the FDA won’t shut down Kellogg’s?!

Doh! I was going to grab some pumpkin pie spice for my sandwhich, but thought that the kabocha butter had enough spice. Awesome idea on the Sunbutter!

PeonyJen November 4, 2009 at 9:10 pm

OK, I didn’t know that the Cocoa Krispies thing was on The Today Show. What was the angle on the segment? Were they slamming Kellogg’s? I need to find youtube.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 4, 2009 at 9:15 pm

PeonyJen, I didn’t know it was on the Today Show either. I read about it in this USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-11-02-cereal-immunity-claim_N.htm

Jess November 4, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Yeah, I definitely have to agree with you! I think it’s crazy that fruit loops as well is being promoted as healthy because it contained THREE grams of fiber. Yikes!

Great looking meal!!
<3 jess
xoxo

Clay November 4, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Kaboocha and Apple on bread?!?! Looks like there is something the needs to e tried tomorrow morning. Also, not gonna lie, i havent had yogurt in a few months… but that giant costco fage got my mouth watering a little bit. Delinghtful post my dear.

PeonyJen November 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm
PeonyJen November 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Just saw this (taking a break from the flick, “future of food”, which is infuriating. Another one to see while you wait for Food, Inc.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 13, 2009 at 5:36 am

Thanks PeonyJen. Just got this comment – it was in my spam folder.

BroccoliHut November 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm

WHOA, I thought Costco was awesome before for the Maranatha alone, but now you tell me they sell Sevens?! This is too much.

yogiclarebear November 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm

that first picture makes me hate stuff.

but the rest of your post *LIKE*
:D

Whole Body Love November 4, 2009 at 11:36 pm

The FDA is certainly not protecting our children’s bodies or our wallets. The Smart Choice program infuriates me. I have gone on many rants about it as friends tend to ask me if it’s “really healthier food”. No, it’s not, not even close.

Haylee November 5, 2009 at 12:57 am

You can find all of that at Costco? Daang, i’ve been wasting all my time at Sams club all of these years!

Emily November 5, 2009 at 6:37 am

Yeah, there have been some problems with labeling lately. The Smart Choices Program (referred to by several others) is under review, and the American Society for Nutrition is doing their best to improve the program and is not happy with current system of labeling.

From the ASN Committee:

Today the Smart Choices Program announced the decision to voluntarily postpone active operations and not encourage wider use of the Smart Choices Program logo. This move follows an announcement by FDA Commissioner, Margaret Hamburg, M.D. on Oct. 20, 2009, which said that the agency intends to develop standardized criteria on which future front-of-package (FOP) nutrition or shelf labeling will be based. In a letter captioned, “Guidance for Industry” and posted on its website, the FDA stated: “We want to work with the food industry − retailers and manufacturers alike − as well as nutrition and design experts and the Institute of Medicine, to develop an optimal, common approach to nutrition-related FOP and shelf labeling that all Americans can trust and use to build better diets and improve their health.”

ASN commends the FDA on its announcement of intent to develop standardized criteria on which front-of-pack nutrition and shelf labeling could be based. In addition, ASN fully supports the decision of the Smart Choices Program Board of Directors to postpone their active operations as FDA works to address both front-of-pack and on shelf labeling. “ASN will continue to provide nutrition science expertise within the dialogue on front-of-pack labeling in order to best serve the interests of the health of Americans,” said ASN President Jim Hill in a statement to media.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 13, 2009 at 5:39 am

Thanks for the info. emily. Just got this comment. It was in my spam folder. Silly Wordpress!

CaSaundra November 5, 2009 at 7:38 am

If Rice Krispies stats are bad..I can’t imagine others like Reeses Puffs and Cookie Crisp–eek!

Jaya November 5, 2009 at 7:55 am

Heather, I loved this post. Everything from big food ranting to beautiful breakfast photos…talk about variety! I do a lot of research on this type of advertising/marketing and if anyone is interested in looking at this from a critical (social) theory perspective, you definitely want to look up an article by John McKinlay called “The Political Economy of Illness”. In short, he is looking at the “downstream” approach to health care in the US, whereby all of our health care spending goes to curative endeavors (hospital beds, rehab, physio, etc) and takes a very critical approach at the “manufactureres of illness” who simultaneously encourage us to live a life that makes us sick and encourage us to use quasi-health behaviour (take this pill, eat this food) to make us feel as though we are exercising some agency. It’s a very nuanced and hot area right now and your blog post is simply one more reason why we need to demand some reforms…now! I live in Canada, but it’s really not so different here :(
As usual, awesome post. Have a great day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:06 am

Thanks Jaya. Off to google John McKinlay right now!

Tina November 5, 2009 at 8:15 am

I agree–how can people give their kids that junk after knowing what they do about those ingredients?! I’ve been wanting to go to Costco for a while. They surprisingly have a lot of great products now. I want to find Fage there!

Annie November 5, 2009 at 8:15 am

I just got Food Inc in the mail yesterday from Netflix but haven’t watched it yet… I have read the Omnivore’s Dilemma and just started “The end of overeating: Taking control of the insatiable American appetite” by David Kessler… highly recommend both books..

Still haven’t tried the oatgroats thing Heather… but it’s on my list….

Blog on!

Erin November 5, 2009 at 10:07 am

Last night, ABC reported that Kellogg’s is going to phase out the immunity boxes. Too little, too late, in my opinion, but here’s a link to the article: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=8996426

Thanks for posting this yesterday, as I wasn’t even aware of it. That’s probably because I was in my own little clean-eating world! Thankfully, my son loves him some Puffins topped with almond milk and almond butter! We don’t have the ‘cereal aisle’ arguments that I remember having with my mother when I was growing up! My stomach turns at the thought of my son eating any Kellogg’s cereal! Not gonna happen, I tell ya! :-)

Erin

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for the link Erin. So good to hear!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

Correction, I 86d myself.

elise November 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm

that sabra photo made me drool a bit. gotta get outta nyc. i need a kitch with a full sized fridge and some serious storage space.

theskinnyplate November 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I love my Costco.

Annie November 5, 2009 at 8:25 pm

okay… i got home from work tonight and popped in FOOD INC. oh my word. i really have got to make some changes.. immediately… the very first one is to talk to my senators tomorrow about Kevin’s Law aka HR 2749 Food Safety Act…This bill gives the FDA more authority and real enforcement teeth to help prevent more outbreaks, illnesses, and deaths from contaminated foods… Kevin died due to e-coli in a hamburger when he was 2 yrs old… you can follow the bill here http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2749

I’ve been shopping *some* from local growers at the farmers market.. but that ended in October… however, little ole me can hep make a chnage by shopping locally, choosing foods that are in season, buying organic when I can and knowing what’s in my food by reading labels. I CAN do that. I remember my folks had a garden when I was young… I’m going to plant a garden… not a big one… but something..

I can’t recommend this film highly enough….. buy it, rent it, borrow it.. but watch it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Annie – thanks. Will do! Soon, I promise.

Edith November 6, 2009 at 12:53 pm

hahaha! I freaking love it how you appreciate Joe’s and Sevens :)

m i c h e l l e November 8, 2009 at 10:44 am

Yuck, those cocoa krispies make me cringe!!! The two ingredients I avoid w/ my kids: HFCS and partially-hydrogenated oils (and artificial colors and flavors …)

I am sooo glad you recapped your Costco finds! I need to take a closer look as I don’t think mine carries Fage or Maranatha. My mom’s carries mini-packs of Sabra!

sutton November 8, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Any idea where I could find a good natural whey protein with no bad ingredients. I’m trying to boost my children’s immune system to stay away from flu.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 13, 2009 at 5:41 am

Sutton, Sorry I’m just now responding to your comment – it was in my spam folder. Jay Robb’s whey protein is delicious and contains no artificial ingredients. You could order it online, but you can probably find it at your local health food or grocery store.

Stephanie K. November 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm

hi! I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada (actually I am a new immgrant)
and I love eating healthy and stuff; and I love your blog!!
Although I’m not a vegetarian, I really like getting inspired from your blog posts.
I LOVE Greek Yogurt, but the only Greek Yogurt I can find near my house around here (even in healthy stores like “Choices Market” is Liberte Yogurt Greek Style.
The problem is it’s so EXPENSIVE!!!!! 16oz in that tiny container is nearly $6 CD!!
So I was wondering, doyou know if they sell those Fage Greek Yogurt in Canada Costco as well? Our family doesn’t go to Costco, but if they do sell those wonderful almond butters and healthy stuff (probably muesli as well!!) so cheap like that in Costco; I’m going to beg my mom to get the membership card (which is quite pricey as well)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Stephanie K, Not sure. Our Costco just recently started selling the large containers of Fage Greek yogurt,but I know Costco in other areas have been carrying it much longer. My advice would be to visit your local Costco and ask them if you can look around before purchasing a membership. That way you could see if they carry products you would buy. I hope they have the Fage – such a great deal!

Thanks for reading my blog. :) -Heather

Laurel Alanna McBrine March 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Other good stuff at Costco:

raw medjool dates
organic carrots
Mary’s crackers
Almond Breeze (6 pack for less than 10 bucks up here in Canada)

By the way, you know those almonds aren’t really raw – the only truly raw almonds (that would actually sprout) we can now buy in North America are from Spain. The only places I have found to buy them are online retailers for raw food aficionadoes and they are pricey.

That being said, I also buy those ginormous bags of almonds, soak them (to make them more digestible) and then crisp them up in the oven since they aren’t raw anyhow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Laurel, Yes, I’ve heard that about the almonds. Stinks.

So jealous they sell Almond Breeze at your Costco. I need to request it at mine!

{ 1 trackback }