My Chocolate Covered Challenge

by HEAB on November 5, 2009

First off, for those of you following me on Twitter, last week I changed my username from heathmacd to almondheather, and now I can’t log into my account. I have emailed the Twitter folks 3 times now and have yet to hear back from them. If any of you Twitter experts out there have any suggestions, please help!

Secondly, want to try some of my favorite stevia? Click here for a chance to win.

Thirdly, OH MY GOSH, I am so sore from yoga yesterday. I talked my brother into going to a 6 AM heated vinyasa class with me. Scottie, how ya feeling? Personally, I think my abs are broken. ;)

OK, onto more important things. Guess what? I don’t actually read all those blogs listed on my Blogroll. If I did, I’d be on the computer all day (No comment CD). Although I do try and check in with everyone when I can, there are only a few blogs that I read everyday, one of them being Chocolate Covered Katie. Not only are her posts well written and totally hilarious, but all of her recipes are amazing. That coupled with the fact that Katie donates 100% of the proceeds from her blog to charity keeps me clicking back day after day.

This month, Katie launched Operation Chocolate Covered Kindness, a page view charity drive to raise money for The Enough Project. All you have to do is visit her blog. Simple as that. To do my part, I am going to try and make a Katie inspired dish everyday. Hey, it’s a dirty chocolate covered job, but someone’s gotta do it. ;)

Therefore, I present to you my Chocolate Covered Katie Meal of the Day. For breakfast, I made a BLT, vegan style…

IMG_3605

Millet bread with:
Banana
Lots o’ cinnamon
Tahini

Katie, I finally tried your melted banana trick. Because I’m not a fan of the microwave (yes, I’m paranoid that the rays are melting my insides), I simply used the stove-top. Trust me, you have not lived until you’ve eaten a melted banana mixed with tahini.

Close-up of the amazingness….

IMG_3606

Again, please head on over to Chocolate Covered Katie. Her oatmeal recipes alone are worth the click. :)

Bethany November 5, 2009 at 9:08 am

Try logging in with your old username…see if that works.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

Bethany, I try that everyday, thinking it might all of a sudden work. It doesn’t. :(

Diana November 5, 2009 at 9:09 am

I will definitely check out her oatmeal recipes! ;)

Evan Thomas November 5, 2009 at 9:11 am

I’ll definitely be looking at her blog if she has recipes like that to share!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

Even though I love bacon, I love your BLT. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

Banana & Tahini?! Interesting combo!

I will definitely check out Katie’s recipes!

Bethany November 5, 2009 at 9:19 am

Oh no! Hmm, how about try logging in with your e-mail address? That’s terrible :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:20 am

Bethany, Tried it. No success. :( Thanks for following me. Hope to tweet again someday!

carolinebee November 5, 2009 at 9:28 am

Heath i’m so scared of the micro too! And yet i stare at it with radiowaves leaking into my brain while waiting for my food to cook! haha guess i’ll have to broil my lean pockets ;D

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 5, 2009 at 9:39 am

Ok, this time I really AM at a loss for words. I actually cried when I saw this post. (Seriously, I did.) You might just be the kindest, most giving person alive, Heather. I don’t know if I can ever thank you enough for your sweetness and for how happy you’ve just made me. Plus, I think that you singlehandedly just doubled the amount of money we’ll raise for the Enough Project, which makes me even happier because of all the people that you—by yourself—have just helped to provide with food and clean drinking water.
Really, I don’t know what to say. You mean the world to me, and one of the best parts of blogging is having gotten to meet you. (I don’t mean to sound creepy or stalker-ish.)

Love,
Katie

P.S. I told the Mounds Babies that you were interested in babysitting, and they are now jumping up and down with excitement (leaving little chocolate footprints all over the floor).

Heather November 5, 2009 at 9:39 am

I had the same problem with Twitter a few months ago and logging in with my email instead of username helped. Sorry to see that isn’t the case for you! Good luck.

Melty banana tahini goodness sounds amazing!

greenbean November 5, 2009 at 9:48 am

oh my! looks yummy. stovetop melted bananas are even better when you let them caramelize! wow, so good. dessert for breakfast, anyone?

Abby November 5, 2009 at 9:49 am

I love Katie’s blog too!! Im clicking as much as I can this month.

OMG millet bread looks awesome.. what a perfect breakfast. :)

Brandi November 5, 2009 at 9:50 am

yum. what a perfect BLT :)

Lara (Thinspired) November 5, 2009 at 10:00 am

I have all but given up on tahini, having tried it in dressings, hummus, etc now, and I just can’t fall in love with it! I like hummus, but that’s about it! I am close to throwing the rest of my jar away, but should I try this first? Or do you think if I don’t like tahini straight, I won’t like this?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 10:05 am

Lara – try it. Personally, I love tahini on its own, but many people think it’s too bitter. I think mixing it with something sweet just might change your mind about tossing out your jar. If not, throw it across the Atlantic to me. :)

Katie November 5, 2009 at 10:00 am

What a great BLT. I love Katie too she has a great sense of humor and is a great person for doing what she is with her blog proceeds.

VeggieGirl November 5, 2009 at 10:07 am

So much linkage in this post, haha :-D

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 5, 2009 at 10:12 am

I’ve been clicking like a madwoman on CCKs site- love that she’s doing this. thanks for getting it out there HEABS.

Erica November 5, 2009 at 10:56 am

ahahha a BLT vegan style- I love it! Melty banana is so yummy. The micro does scare me a bit too. I try not to stand anywhere near it when its running ;)

Chrysta November 5, 2009 at 10:57 am

The millet bread looks so fabulous. I really want to try making that. Looks delicious. What is the consistency like? Melted bananas with tahini! Never thought of putting the two together..hhmmm…can’t wait to try! Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Chrysta, The millet bread is soft and so moist thanks to the coconut oil. However, it’s definitely best fresh out of the oven. If you don’t eat it immediately, then freeze and re-heat. If you just put it in the refrigerator, it gets kind of rubbery. So far, I’ve liked the recipe best with oat groats.

Mama Pea November 5, 2009 at 11:48 am

I’m so happy you are giving the spotlight to such an amazing girl with such an amazing heart!!!

My Style November 5, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Ok you’ve officially forced me out of lurkdom. I’ve been enticed to delurk many times, but now I really have to. I adore your blog, Heather, and I adore you even more now that I know you’re helping a sweet girl raise money for a sweet cause. I was wondering if we can join you in your challenge? I stopped blogging for a while, but I want to pick back up. And I’ve had so many of CCV’s recipes bookmarked for so long now, and this would really give me a kick in the pants I need to actually make them. I’m already on the Blended Grains train, but she has so many more genius ideas I want to try out. And since it’s for a good cause, I don’t have an excuse! Wouldn’t it be cool, and would raise even more awareness, if a whole bunch of us bloggers took your challenge?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 1:16 pm

My Style, Yes, please join in the challenge!!!! What a great idea. I’ll invite others to join in tomorrow. You’re awesome, and thanks for delurking. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 11:02 am

My Style, I’m going to challenge everyone to make a CCV recipe on Monday. OK if I link back to your blog when I mention the idea? If so, what is your URL? Thanks and have a good weekend! -Heather

Carrie November 5, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Hi Heather
That looks good. I have another question because I know you like eggs too. I feel I hear so much about vegetarianism and veganism these days that it is overwhelming and I do really believe that it is ultimately the best lifestyle to lead. But its so overwhelming to do it. I know you eat meat and eggs occasionally.
Today at lunch I had 2 eggs and a large side salad sprinkled with 2 tbsps of chia seed (and a side of bread). Is it okay to eat 2 whole eggs at one sitting ? I did have some protein powder this morning so am I overdoing the protein you think ?
I do not eat eggs all that often really. Actually most lunches I fall back on bean soup and buttered toast. I would just like your thoughts.

I also wanted to add that the Kelloggs are now removing the immunity claims on their boxes. I do like my cocoa Rice Krispies now and then, but I agree that the immunity claims are just a ploy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Carrie, In my opinion, yes 2 whole eggs are once are completely fine. No worries, and you are totally not overdoing the protein. I believe eggs, yolk included, are a great source of nutrients. However, I do recommend buying organic local free range eggs if you you can find them.

Lindsey @ Sound Eats November 5, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Let us know if you figure out the twitter issue – one of my friends just had the same thing happen to her and she hasn’t been able to get back in either. She was reading up on it and apparently it’s a big problem and twitter suggests you don’t change your username because of the problems it can cause…but of course you don’t learn this until you start troubleshooting and figuring out why you can’t get back in AFTER you’ve already changed usernames and it’s happened to you. Oy.

If my friend figures it out, I’ll let you know too!

Devan November 5, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Yuumm this looks delicious! CCK is so brilliant! so great of you to help out with the shout outs ;) xoxo

hope the twitter account thing clears up!!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir November 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Vinyasa yoga at 6 am, that’s intense! The millet bread looks great…I sometimes find millet dry when cooked plain, glad to hear the bread is moist!

The Pancake Girl November 5, 2009 at 2:12 pm

You are inspiring me to move my butt and try to bake my own bread too! I bake and (try) to cook, but it still looks so intimidating to me!

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

rebecca lustig November 5, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Good afternoon, Gorgeous!
I’m so, SO glad I came across your blog. Your insight in each and every post is so inspirational and really brightened my day, today!

Oh, and I read your post about the Rice Krispies– I couldn’t agree with you more. UGH! haha :)

I hope you have a glorious day!
Bec

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Rebecca, Thanks so much for reading. Glad you found me too. :)

maggie November 5, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Loving the BLT!! Who would have thought that would be delicious with banana? Wow! xoxo

Maggie

MYBREAKFASTBLOG.COM

Marissa November 5, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I too fear the microwave! I grew up being wary of it. My mother wouldn’t let us stand near it when it was on, and used to tell us about people working in fast food restaurants with microwaves having yellow fingernails, so from an early age I have been wary.

Now the only time I use it is to heat up water at work for tea, and I am hoping that I get an electric tea kettle for the holidays this year ;-)

fruitsveggieslife November 5, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I might just have to dish over the euros for some tahini – that BLT is brilliant!

Shelby November 5, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Perfect. Breakfast.

Samantha November 5, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Will add Katie’s site to my daily “rounds”…every click helps!

Those eats…SO YUM! Must try this ASAP!

Melissa S. November 5, 2009 at 5:27 pm

sadness about the twitter issues. i miss you!

missyrayn November 5, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I’ve never read that blog but I’m off to check it out. I love that she donates the profits. So great!

Valerie November 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Hi. I love the blog!
That millet bread. How does that compare to Ezekiel bread ? Ezekiel is good right ?
Have you ever tried it with buckwheat groats or quinoa groats ?
If you like coconut oil you will love coconut milk. I drink it every day. I know its high in saturated fat, but its healthy. But I buy it in a can and I am not sure if I am storing it properly because I just leave the can in the fridge. Thoughts?

Ever tried to make chocolate almond butter ? I love nutella and wish they would start making some flavored almond butters.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hey Valerie, Thanks for reading. The millet bread is so simple – just soaked millet, water, salt, coconut oil, and I add a little stevia although it’s not included in the original recipe. Ezekiel is great as far as store bought bread goes. However, it still contains gluten for those who are gluten intolerant. I’m not, and I do buy Ezekiel on occasion. I have tried the bread with buckwheat groats: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/14/chickpea-creations/ and with quinoa: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/16/a-celebration-of-kindness/, but I think I like it best with either millet or oat groats (not gluten free).

Love coconut milk, but I would not store it in the can in the fridge. We always pour ours in a mason glass jar with screw-on lid. I have made chocolate almond butter: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2008/12/22/ode-to-my-vita-mix/. Also, have you ever seen these brands: http://stores.homestead.com/NaturallyNuttyFoodsInc/Categories.bok OR http://www.futtersnutbutters.com/order.html. YUM!

Emily November 5, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I’m too paranoid about the micro too.

I like to dip banana chunks in tahini and freeze them! B + t is a great combo.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl November 5, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Wow. Sorry to hear about that Twitter trouble. Strange. I hope it’s worked out soon!!!

I’m not a fan of tahini. It just tastes horrid to me. Not sure if anything could change my mind – and I am so not a picky eater, so it surprises me…

I’m on my way to Katie’s blog now. Awesomeness!!!!

*smiles*
Michele

Annie November 5, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Love your blog (sorry I’ve been an absent commenter for a while but we opened a new hospital and I worked 26 days straight but I”m glad to be able to read again and I’m catching up)… and now I love chocolate covered Katie as well. You do a mind and body good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 5, 2009 at 9:23 pm

No worries Annie. Sometime life happens. Happy to see you again. :)

Emily November 5, 2009 at 9:38 pm

yay Katie! I also read her blog every day and think it’s fantastic that she’s using it for charity! :-)

BroccoliHut November 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Yes, I have been reading CCV for over two years–she’s one of my faves:) Her banana brulee trick changed my oatmeal life forever!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I am just getting thru my G’Reader now…trying to not comment as much on blogs b/c as you so handily pointed out my love, that if one were to read every blog on one’s blogroll every day (but I do read every single post of yours :) ) one would never leave the house. Been going thru a bit of trying to step back from the screen a bit…not sure how successful Ive been, but trying.

But I also wanted to thank you for having my blog on your bloggieroll. I feel blessed to call you a friend, Heather.

love,
averie
xoxo

p.s. Twitter and computer issues of all kinds suck, don’t they! I went thru a legal name change 6 weeks ago. Let me tell you, everyone from Delta Skymiles to the DMV to my passport needed proof to prove who I really was/am and I have been locked out of everything electronically speaking more than I even wanna tell you. But I love my new name Averie Harmony S. so it’s all worth it :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 5:38 am

Averie, Back away from that screen. I used to try and read everyone’s posts, but we can’t do it all, ya know?

Love the new name. :) Love, Heather

Damjana November 6, 2009 at 6:44 am

Your BLT looks beyond amazing…that’s great you linked so many times to CCV, so that people can more easily find various entries on her blog and contribute that way. Do you personally know Katie? Seems like yes, I mean it would be wonderful if you knew each other…
Love

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 8:35 am

Damjana, Never met my favorite little Chocolate Covered Vegan – just friends through our blogs and emails. Love that girl! :)

CaSaundra November 6, 2009 at 7:25 am

I love Katie’s blog and all she is doing as well! I’ll be anxious to hear how you like all her recipes.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 6, 2009 at 7:39 am

Good, I’m glad I’m not the only one that can’t keep up with all the blogs on my blogroll, ha ha. There are just too many good ones out there :)

Simply Life November 6, 2009 at 8:34 am

What a great meal! I love carmalized bananas!

anonymous November 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

I loved you before, but now that I see you’re helping to raise money for such a good cause, I love you even more! Plus I’m excited to see all the chocolate-covered recipes you make up, since I’m always stalking Katie’s blog but haven’t gotten around to making a lot of the recipes. So I can live vicariously through you :) .

Tina November 6, 2009 at 9:19 am

I reeeally want to try that millet bread, it looks so yummy. I’m going to have to try this banana and tahini combo…

Pure2Raw Twins November 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

The melted bananas sounds interesting…just might have to make that : ) We love Katie’s blog too!! We cannot read all the blogs we want to too but all you can do is try your best.

My Style November 6, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I still haven’t gotten my blog up and running again. I have a blogger profile, but you don’t have to link to that. You can just call me a reader :) . I’m so excited for the challenge. Now I just have to pick out my recipes. I guess I’ll start Monday too!

nikkab November 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm

My Boyfriend is also afraid of the microwave, glad to know he’s not alone!