Remember Remember the 5th of November

by HEAB on November 6, 2009

Ever since living in England I always like to acknowledge Guy Fawkes Day…and I completely spaced it yesterday. :( I’ll make sure and burn my effigy of Guy later tonight. I was too busy celebrating other things like…

logo2_thumb.jpg
Don’t forget to visit Chocolate Covered Katie. Click here all month long to help raise money for The Enough Project.
November is also National Pomegranate Month and look what came in the mail to help celebrate.

The POM Wonderful peeps sent me an autographed copy of Rubies in the Orchard, a marketing book written by Lynda Resnick, founder of POM Wonderful. Also included were some POM Wonderful goodies. Thanks POM – so excited to have more arils in my life!
After busting open my package, I immediately made this recipe sent to me by at least 5 of my readers. Love you guys – you know me well!

Winter squash with tahini and pom arils.
This tasted exactly like…hummus, and ain’t nothing wrong with a little kabocha hummus. All that was missing was some warm pita bread. However, I think I prefer my pureed kabocha sweet….

Roasted kabocha squash pureed with vanilla Jay Robb rice protein powder and served in the waning Sunbutter jar. Amazing. Perfect. Love it so much. Now, every time I post pictures of kabocha squash, I get emails asking me if I eat the skin. So, for any new readers, yes I eat the skin. No, it doesn’t taste weird. If it did, I wouldn’t eat it. Because the skin is dark green, I’m assuming (hoping) it contains some good nutrients. However, I don’t eat it for that reason. I’m usually just too lazy to peel it. :)
You know who else loves kabocha? Katie! Click here to read about her fascination with this wonderful squash.
Coming up Monday…a POM recipe contest. Time to get your POM lovin on! Oh, and be sure to enter my NuNaturals Stevia Giveaway as today is your last chance.
Now smile…it’s Friday. :)

chocolate-Katie November 6, 2009 at 10:07 am

:) :) :) :)

Why am I smiling so much? Because I know you!!!
I haven’t hada pomagranite in so long (years and years). I really don’t know why. Next time I’m at the store, I’m picking one up in your honor. They’re just so pretty.

Love,
Katie Kabocha :)

susan November 6, 2009 at 10:25 am

I am a kabocha lover and most recently got the rest of my family on board! Yayyyyyy… I’ll be serving them the kabocha/tahini/pom asap!!

Also, this question might be elementary so I apologize in advance, but my partner in crime is allergic to raw nuts so I always buy the roasted nut butters as opposed to raw… Is there a big plus to raw that I’m missing or does it matter either way??

Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 10:29 am

Susan, I prefer roasted for the most part – seems to bring out the flavor of the nuts. However, many people prefer the raw – some find it easier to digest. Others say raw nut butters retain more nutrients and enzymes since the nuts have not been heated.

Kabocha lovin family…love it! :)

Valerie November 6, 2009 at 10:29 am

Wow. That looks terrific. I tried butternut squash for the first time recently. Now I have a spaghetti squash, it is huge though so it looks like there will be lots of leftovers. I need to google some ideas of how to cook and eat it though, I have no idea!
What is that sunflower butter like? I might pick up some, but not that brand name.
I might try some of this protein powder stuff because I am going vegan. My store only carries Sun Warrior protein. Do you know anyone I can ask about this ? The ingredient list is a bit freaky because it includes a bunch of stuff, so I am not sure about that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 10:36 am

Valerie, I love spaghetti squash! Cover it in Marinutta sauce ( http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/marinutta-sauce/) and veggies. To prepare it, just cut it half and place face up on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or so. When it’s done, scoop out the seeds, and you should be able to pull the flesh away from the skin with a fork.

Sunbutter – love it. I buy the unsweetened version. Trader Joe’s name brand sunbutter is good as well, but it contains a little sugar. The taste – pureed sunflower seeds. So yummy.

Sun Warrior is great – the list of ingredients is not bad at all. However, I prefer the taste of Jay Robb’s rice protein a bit more. Read this post if you get a minute: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/22/the-war-is-onwant-a-taste-of-the-winner/ .

The Pancake Girl November 6, 2009 at 10:43 am

Hey Heather, just curious because I’ve never tried it before, but does Sunbutter have any more nutritious properties than regular peanut butters or almond butters? Also I just have to say, I am sincerely struck by your kindness, the way you are standing behind a fellow blogger and helping her raise money for a good cause. :) Have a great Friday!

(www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 10:47 am

Pancake Girl, From the Sunbutter Website:

SunButter® is a great tasting alternative to peanut butter. SunButter® is made from specially roasted sunflower seeds. All of our products are completely peanut free, tree-nut free, and gluten free. Our sunflower seed spreads are all processed in a peanut and tree-nut free facility. SunButter® is packed with nutrition and is an excellent healthy alternative to other nut butters.

SunButter® is nutritionally superior to peanut butter with 1/3 less saturated fat, 27% of your vitamin E in one serving, and has a much higher iron & fiber content. All of this extra nutrition is derived from the sunflower seeds which are also a great source of protein.

Heather again: It also tastes yummy. :)

Chrysta November 6, 2009 at 11:38 am

thanks for the info on the sunbutter. It is something that I have not tried yet. Im a huge fan of all nut butters though and cant wait to give this one a go. Mixing it with the squash sounds fantastic too. I just bought one the other day and cant wait to roast that baby up! All your amazing food pics made me hungry for it!=)

maggie November 6, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I alwahs eat the skin of the kaboca too! I’m a tad lazy too but my moto is if its green, a veggie and edible then it has to be healthy ;) Eating kaboca with sunbutter right now and thinking about your post!!

xoxo
Maggie

Annie November 6, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I cannot, for the life of me, find Kabocha!! I got chur butternut, acorn and spaghetti squashes.. but no Kabocha!! I did however find me some millet and it is soaking as we speak… mmmmm millet bread tomorrow!! Blog on!

Graze With Me November 6, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I just recently purchased that exact brand/type of sunbutter. Do you ever have to sweeten or salt it? I feel that it’s really lacking in flavor.

Love the free POM swag!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Graze With Me, I love the plain Sunbutter, but you should try the sweetened/salted version. Definitely more flava.

VeggieGirl November 6, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Those pom seeds are practically glowing and iridescent! Love it :)

Maggie November 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Ahh I love that Sunbutter. Yum yum yum. I don’t understand why people don’t eat the skin of kabocha. It’s my favorite part! Some of them don’t even try it (my dad).

eatmovelove November 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Wish I could find Kabocha.
Question about your spiralizer from the other day – does it just ‘curl’ the veggies – or can you make them into actual pasta shapes – straight and stuff? Thanks :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 1:57 pm

EatMoveLove, The spiralizer only makes long noodles – thick or thin. No other shapes.

Jessica November 6, 2009 at 1:56 pm

You always have such amazing food creations here. I’m in shock!

DiningAndDishing November 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I just bought my first kabocha from Whole Foods the other day. So excited to give it a try! I have lots of fab prep ideas from your recent blog entries :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Pam November 6, 2009 at 3:11 pm

That’s good to know about teh Kabocha skin. I was secretly wondering. :-)

So what other squash skins can you eat then? We LOVE squash in my house so now I am curious.

Also, another GREAT way to cook a spaghetti squash and get EVERY morsel out of it is to put it in a crock pot (whole) with 2 cups of water. High for 5 hours or Low for 8. The cutting, the scooping and scraping of the flesh is SO much easier this way. Plus you can do it while away and come home to a perfect start to your dinner! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Pam, I eat all squash skins and sweet potato skins…well, except for spaghetti squash, and thanks for the cooking tip. I’m so trying that soon. Love my crock-pot!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 6, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Haha, you know you’re a big blog reader if you see recipes and you think of a blogger first! But I had a look at that recipe and I have to admit I probably would have done the same. :)

lola November 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I always celebrate the 5th of November having an eggy-in-a-basket :P remember that breakfast from V for Vendetta? hhehe im such a nerd xD

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Lola, Never saw V for Vendetta. :(

Marissa November 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I could use that kabocha and pom arils photo as my blog headliner ;-) 2 of my favorite things!

candice November 6, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I need to try eating roasted kabocha out of a sunflower seed butter jar… now. That sounds so. good.

Katie November 6, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Happy Friday Sister!! I haven’t really done much pomegranate. Maybe I need to start experimenting with it.

rebecca lustig November 6, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Ok, I know HAVE to try the sun butter. My eye is always drawn to it as I walk down the overwhelming, yet fabulous peanut butter isle. Goal of the weekend– GET ME SOME! hehe

I guess I should also stock up on some poms.

Have a glorious evening, lovely lady :)
Rebecca

Cherie November 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Pretty picture of the squash and pom arils. Looks delicious!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 7, 2009 at 12:25 am

Genius to eat pureed kabocha in the nut jar. Did you say it was sweetened or just protein-i-fied? Sounds so good. I also eat the skin. I hope there aren’t toxins or anything like that if they were sprayed? I have wondered about that!

I’ve been eating more nut butters as of late so I get to have those “in-a-jars” more often! yay!

Have a super saturday!
D

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 7, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Deb,
Pureed kabocha was just sweetened with Jay Robb. Oh my – so good. Not too worried about the toxins, and I make sure to wash my squash well before roasting. Besides, maybe the heat kills off all the bad stuff? That’s what I tell myself anyway.

Miss you – email me when you get back home. Much to tell you.

eatmovelove November 7, 2009 at 6:23 am

Hey Heather – I tried to post this yesterday but it wouldn’t go through I think. Was wondering about the Spiralizer you mentioned the other day – does it just make the veggies “curly” or into pasta-like strands too??..is it easy to use? I don’t want to a)cut my fingers off, or b)have an extra load of work to do with it!! Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 7, 2009 at 8:15 am

EatMoveLove, Yes, I got your comment, and I thought I answered. Weird Wordpress. Anyway, the sprizalizer makes veggie noodles – both thick and thin, and yes, it’s super easy to use. No cutting or chopping involved. I love mine – use it almost everyday.

Valerie November 7, 2009 at 7:53 am

Thanks for the information Heather. Sun Warrior seems inferior because there is less in a serving so it has less protein, but then again how much protein is really needed anyway! Also, there are more ingredients in the Sun Warrior , boo! But I can buy that one easier than I can Jay Robb. Too bad though because I think it looks its chalkier and Jay is creamier.
Heather, do you have any suggestions for the best hummus to buy? Or the best recipes?
And I read back through some posts and saw you were introducing goat cheese, is it a regular in your diet now, do you eat it often?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 7, 2009 at 8:19 am

Valerie, The Sun Warrior does not have less protein – just a much smaller scoop. Look at the grams/per serving. Sun Warrior is much less. So, their nutrient make-up is really the same per gram.

My favorite hummus is the Trader Joe’s brand – especially their new smooth and creamy version. So yummy. Their Horseradish Hummus is another favorite. Sabra also makes a really good hummus, and we sometimes buy it in bulk at Costco. There are a ton of good recipes out there, but I never make my own. Just easier to buy it.

The goat cheese was okay. I might eat it again, but I’m not going to buy it all the time or anything. I’m usually just as happy with my vegan cashew cheeze sauce. :)

molly November 7, 2009 at 8:55 am

gotta love guy fawkes night! we celebrated here in london with sparklers and mulled wine… yummmm :)

livingfreeforever November 7, 2009 at 9:09 am

Cool that you lived in England! I have an Aunt and Uncle who lived there for a while–they loved it.

I have never tasted pom. Have one in the kitchen, just never had the urge to try it. My daughter loves them! Happy weekend:)

Gena November 8, 2009 at 6:19 pm

It’s always fun to see someone who loves pureed food as much as I do ;-)

Lauren A. November 9, 2009 at 4:51 pm

have you ever tried making your own tahini butter from hulled sesame seeds in your vitamix? if so, how did you do it? how did it turn out? i’m thinking of trying it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Lauren, No, I haven’t tried it, but I want to. Please let me know if it works for you.

Lara (Thinspired) November 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Hehe–I don’t know if you saw on facebook, but I posted this hilarious BBC article explaining the purpose behind Guy Fawkes. Or at least I thought it was hilarious ;)
I always forget you lived in England. Why, oh why, couldn’t our time have overlapped?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 15, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Lara, I know – oh the fun we would have had at our British blogger meet-ups!

{ 1 trackback }