Lovely Sunday

by HEAB on November 8, 2009

Crazy busy day today my friends, but so much fun. However, before we get into today, I must share Saturday night’s dinner with you.

I finally made Mama Pea’s favorite tahini dressing. Click here for the recipe. Thanks for posting the link Mama Pea. Never met a tahini dressing I didn’t like, and this one did not disappoint. After dinner I was bored. For me, boredom usually leads to fun experiments in the kitchen, and that’s exactly what happened last night. Behold…

Homemade vegan Nutella. Inspired by Marathon Val, I set out to make my own version of everyone’s favorite milk chocolate hazelnut spread. Into the food processor went 3 cups raw hazelnuts. Once the nuts starting turning into nut butter (which took forever. Totally thought I was going to burn out my motor), I added 2 TBSP dark cocoa powder, 2 packets NuNaturals powdered stevia, 1/2 tsp vanilla, & a pinch of salt. That’s it. Amazing. delicious. Really wanted to eat the entire jar, but i had to save some for my breakfast. :)

Pancake Sunday! I made my protein pancakes, but took Scott’s advice, adding 1/8 tsp baking powder, and 1/8 tsp baking soda to the batter. Thanks Scott – definitely made for fluffier flapjacks. I then covered them in some of my Nutella and Katie’s Smashberry Jam made with cherries and POM arils. Speaking of Katie, have you clicked on Chocolate Covered Katie to help raise money for The Enough Project yet today? I hope so!

So, back to my breakfast…Yum, yum, and yum. Only problem was the Nutella. It tasted great, but did not spread very well. So, I ended up picking up my pancakes and eating them like tacos. Pancake tacos filled with Nutella and cherry pomegranate jam? Perfect breakfast if you ask me. However, next time I make the Nutella, I think I’ll roast the hazelnuts first. The oils released from the roasted nuts will probably make it more spreadable, don’t you think?

After breakfast, I prepared several dishes for a girls brunch (more about that in another post), met a friend for coffee, brunched, and then went on a long bike ride in the sunshine. Again, it’s been a great day, and now it’s time to hang out with CD, the pups, and some football. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

missyrayn November 8, 2009 at 5:23 pm

That nutella looks great. I think that might be in my future. I will have to send Hunni for a walk with the dogs though because they hate the sound of our food processor.

Evan Thomas November 8, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Homemade Nutella? You are a rockstar. I can’t eat the name brand because it has artificial ingredients but I found an organic, lower sugar/higher nut variety that’s really delicious and spreadable, though I’m pretty sure it’s not vegan

Jenny November 8, 2009 at 5:27 pm

can you believe I’ve never had nutella? that just doesn’t seem right.

yay for pancake sunday :)

homecookedem November 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Nutella is the BEST! I need to pick up a jar, or better yet, try out your recipe! :) Hope you’ve been enjoying your weekend!!

VeggieGirl November 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Busy but FUN days are always the best :)

Sorry about the Nutella issue – bummer!

Diana November 8, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Those pancakes look so delicious! Homemade nutella? Yes please. I haven’t eaten the real stuff in YEARS. Like… I-don’t-even-remember-the-last-time-I-ate-it years!

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 8, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Pancake tacos filled with homemade nutella?!?! Spreadable or not, it sounds amazing.

Heather, have you checked out Mensa yet? Seriously.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Katie, As in this Mensa? http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10

rebecca lustig November 8, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Nutella is to die for. It’s the best.

Guess what? I bought almond butter today!! (along with peanut butter & co’s dark choc dreams, Hmm)

glad you had some delicious meals this weekend, lovely lady– can’t wait for your next post :)

becca

Trista November 8, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I love the homemade Nutella idea!! Can you tell me what food processor you use? I’m in the market for a new one and am paranoid about buying one I’ll break (like I did the last one). Also, I used to work at a Yogurt Oasis years ago — how I miss it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Trista, Love Yogurt Oasis! As far as my food processor goes, I don’t really know what brand it is. My friend imports proto-type appliances from China, and he gave me one of their samples. I LOVE IT, but I can’t even tell you who made it. However, I have heard that KitchenAid and Cuisinart both make excellent food processors.

Holly November 8, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Heather! You’ve done it once again! Recently a friend up here brought a jar of Nutella to class with her and ate the entire thing with a spoon! While I was appalled, I couldn’t help recalling the joy that is Nutella. Of course I’d never eat it again (the smell of it alone overpowered me – I could only imagine the taste at this point!), but trying your recipe sounds like a way I will be spending the holiday break!

Thank you for sharing with us! You are truly earning your wings!

Gena November 8, 2009 at 6:15 pm

What a lovely Sunday of food, sweetie! A combo of Heather originals and friends’ recipes that are all awesome :)

Pure2Raw Twins November 8, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Yum!! Pancake tacos…nice : ) Can I come over for Nutella pancakes?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Pure2Raw, See you next Sunday? :)

Abby November 8, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Sounds like the perfect Sunday to me!

Jessica November 8, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Love the homemade Nutella, girl! Thank you for sharing!

Stephanie November 8, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I also make nutella! I don’t care for the stevia flavor, so I have two changes that help with that. 1. I start by adding 2T of agave and then add stevia to taste (and retaste…). 2. I put it in the top of a double boiler for a few minutes, until the chemically taste of stevia is gone.

I don’t understand why stevia has that chemical taste, since its a natural product. It doesn’t seem to bother you though, maybe it is a brand difference? I use the Trader Joe’s brand (the one without filler).

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Stephanie, I’ve had some chemical tasting stevia in the past. Blech. And although it will never taste quite like maple syrup or agave, I do really like the NuNaturals brand. Thanks for your Nutella tips – I’ll have to try that next time.

Shelby November 8, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Pancake saturday sounds amazing!

Shelby November 8, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Pancake sunday sounds amazing!

boomette November 8, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I love nutella. But I almost never have a jar at home. It’s too dangerous, too easy to eat with a spoon. LOL

I almost bought a jar of almond butter on Friday evening. But I was not sure about the quality of that jar. Maybe next week, I’ll look for that at my grocery store. They probably have more choices.

Ozlen November 8, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Heather – went through the same experiment and thought that roasted hazelnuts would be creamier but no such luck. It is still hard to spread. I added some delicious sweet dates in mine to make it creamier and even added a few drops of oil – not sure what kind oil now cant recall.. But still the same result.. Still yummy though. Good luck with your future experiments!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Ozlen. Good to know – I bet it would be great with coconut oil!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 8, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Homemade nutella? Wanna come over? I can help you eat it!

I almost accidentally made cashew butter today. Whoa nelly Vita was working hard (and fast!). Nutella sounds way better. I need to get some H’Nuts and try it! Thanks Heather for the recipes! I thought of you today at yoga b/c they had the heat cranked crazy warm for a non-Bikram class and that pic of you and your bro your posted the other day all sweaty was running thru my head :)
xxoxo

Stephanie November 8, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the NuNaturals tip. I’m sure its been on your blog and I just haven’t paid attention to the brand. I’ll be sure to try NuNaturals next time, and continue mixing it with agave until then to take the edge off.

Thanks!

livingfreeforever November 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Homemade Nutella–made my mouth water! Sounds like a perfect Sunday:)

Tiffany S. November 8, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Pancake tacos – LOVE it!

I’m totally neutral on Nutella. Didn’t grow up with it. Like it when I have it, but can totally live without it. I have no idea whether roasting brings out more oils. I’m usually so helpful but coming up empty on this one.

I’m going to try to steam Kabocha in my rice cooker/steamer tonight. We’ll see how that turns out.

Have a great Monday!

Fallon November 8, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I’ve had this link bookmarked for a while. Check it out ;) May solve your problem of dry nutella! I really want to make this but I’m worried I’ll eat the whole jar in 1 sitting. I love hazelnuts!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 13, 2009 at 5:42 am

Fallon, Thanks so much. Just got this comment – it was in my spam folder. Off to check out Mark’s recipe.

candice November 8, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Yumm~ I made “Nutella” once with roasted hazelnuts. It was pretty amazing, but I think I slightly over-roasted the nuts, which gave it somewhat of a burnt-chocolatey flavor. I’ll have to try again sometime. ;)

By the way, I tried tahini for the first time today. It tasted kind of… bitter? Is it supposed to be that way?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Candice, Yes, the bitterness of tahini is sometimes a shock for people. Personally, I love it on it’s own, but most people prefer using it as a salad dressing base. You should try mixing it with a little raw honey. Makes the most amazing toast or oat topper!

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm

OMG! I just CAN”T BELIEVE you make Nutella yourself!!!!!!!! So admire!

peaceandpeanutbutter November 8, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Can you just make it universal pancake day?? I’d want EVERY DAY to be sunday!!

Homemade nutella?? AhHHH!!

Annie November 8, 2009 at 8:08 pm

It was HEAB Sunday at my house… first, I made the millet bread… and it reminded me of corn bread… I liked it but I’ll probably stick to Ezekiel bread… I also don’t get why I soak it and then let it dry out again… what was the purpose in that?? OH!! I went to a asian food mart and FINALLY found some kabocha… HOLY CRIMINY… you were not exaggerating.. I roasted it per your instructions …gulp… I ate the entire squash.. all of it.. the whole enchilada.. shrug…. it was dang good.

Here’s the weird thing… I took a picture from the net with me to ID it at the store… the sign above the bin said “Calabaza” (which is spanish – the store is in a mexican-american neighborhood, shrug)… but it looked like the picture and sure enough, the sticker thing on it said “kabocha”! YEAH!! Then I get to the car and look at my receipt and it says “buttercup”.. huh?? This kabocha thing has got a serious marketing problem with branding.. LOL..

Regardless… I am soooo thankful I found it! I cooked an acorn squash and butternut squash today as well so I could compare the tastes… HUGE difference.. much much sweeter with subtle nuttiness.. loved it… thanks HEAB (and yes I ate the skin too)… now, i’m looking for seeds so I can grow my own!

Blog on!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 8, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Annie, What a good day. Whenever I make that bread, I don’t really dry out the grains anymore. It turns out much more moist if you don’t. Now onto more important things…KABOCHA. Amazing, no? So glad you found it, and yes, I don’t quite get the whole kabocha/butternut thing either, but whatever it is I’m eating, I love it! Hope you have a good week. Much Love, Heather

Internal Peace November 8, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Awesome idea! I definitely need to try making my own Nutella! It’s also way healthier than the store bought stuff!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl November 8, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Homeade Nutella? My dad would have a conniption–he loves that stuff! LOL

Way to go, Heather!!! :-D

The Pancake Girl November 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Those pancakes look beyond yummy!!! I hate a batch today, too! :)

The Pancake Girl November 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm

OOPS, meant “had” haha definitely did NOT hate them!!

Abby November 8, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I would like to be invited to this girl’s brunch, as you are freaking incredible in the kitchen, girl!

Tina November 8, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I have been CRAVING Nutella for the past 2 weeks. That’s so cool you made your own! And I absolutely love a good tahini dressing on top of roasted vegetables. I’ve been eating that so much lately!

Melissa S. November 8, 2009 at 8:51 pm

hahaha…breakfast tacos with chocolate and cherries! awesome!!!

psychoj1 November 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm

That homemade nutella sounds fabulous! Pretty easy too ;)

<3 jess

Katie November 8, 2009 at 9:00 pm

So creative! Sounds like a great day. I love football, but am truly excited about basketball season.

elise November 8, 2009 at 9:19 pm

what a delish day. football and flapjacks, yes please! ive never had nutella. hazelnuts scare me. no logic to it whatsoever. but i could def be on board with filling some taco pancakes with whatever youve got in that marvelous looking jar!!!!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie November 8, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I have to admit, I just tried a tahini dressing recipe the other day that was definitely a no go for my taste buds. The recipe you made sounds much better though … I need at least a little sweetener in my tahini dressings, that stuff is just a bit too bitter for me.

Jaya November 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Wow, both of those meals look great. I am flying home on Tuesday to visit my Mom (and her awesome kitchen appliances) and I am definitely going to have my hand at some variation of that chocolate spread. Wow!
Inspired by your “unusual” oatmeal post the other day, I am thinking that tahini and pomegranate molasses could be great for next daily oatmeal foray. I plan for spinach smoothies, but as the mornings grow more crisp, nothing beats a bowl of hot cereal. Come to think of it, your chocolate spread might be excellent melted into a bowl of hot steel cut oats. Rawr! Happy Sunday night!
Jaya :)

Mama Pea November 9, 2009 at 1:08 am

I’m out of tahini. I’m trying to talk myself out of jumping off of our roof…especially after seeing your dinner. Awesome. Thanks for the shouts!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 9, 2009 at 1:09 am

Yes, roasting the h-nuts will DEFINITELY make it more spreadable. If it’s still not spreadable to your liking you can buy h-nut oil and add just a bit.

Love the pancake taco though- I’d be all over that!

Glad the weather FINALLY cooperated!

<3 Deb

Julie November 9, 2009 at 2:14 am

The roasting will make it more spreadable as well as make it taste more like real nutella – I tried it :) Just 130 degree celcius for about 15 minutes in an oven, evenly spread on a baking tray. If you want it even more spreadable, try substituting the cacao powder with melted 100% baking chocolate (and then keep the nutella in a not too cold place).

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 8:02 am

Thanks for the tips Julie. I’ll try that next time!

Damjana November 9, 2009 at 5:24 am

The roasted version is very spreadable! It drops from the knife if you let the hazelnuts blend for too long (then the cocoa powder thickens it up to the perfect texture). Def worth trying!

fruitsveggieslife November 9, 2009 at 6:04 am

Both the pancakes and spread look great! GAH! I won’t have access to a blender until Dec. 22, and its coming to slowly! I don’t eat Nutella because of the milk, and the dairy free stuff over here tastes… far too artificial for my tastes.

Scott in Ohio November 9, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hey HEAB! Glad the baking soda and powder combo worked out for you. Jiggy! LOL

Christina and I used your kabocha pancake recipe yesterday but subbed in sweet potatoes. Wow! I told my Mom last night that we’ll be making those for brunch the Friday morning after Thanksgiving.

Have a great Monday!

wmuamy November 9, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I’ve got to find a kabocha, no luck yet but maybe I haven’t asserted myself enough!

I love love love the idea of your homemade nutella, I’ve enver roasted my own nuts so that in itself is enough to scare me away! HEAB inspired I bought my first pom this week – now I just have to figure out what to do with it!

Thanks for the great blogs – hopefully you’ll see my smiling face next to my comment, instead of my cell phone!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm

wmuamy, I see your cute face! Oh my gosh – eating of the Nutella as I type this, but I doctored it up a bit. Amazing – will post my new creation soon.

Don’t fear the nut roasting. Spread your raw nuts on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and roast in a 350 degree oven until you start to smell them. About 12 to 15 minutes, stirring around once or twice. So easy!

Enjoy your pomegranate. Let me know what you think. Enjoy your evening Amy. Love, Heather

Erin November 9, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Holy friggin frig. That Nutella looks AMAZING Heabs! I also just had a serious urge to call you Heaber. I’m not really sure why, except that I tend to make up nicknames for people I really, really enjoy (even if it’s virtually) ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Erin, Works for me. :) -Heaber

Stephanie @ Foodie McFood November 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Oh my God. Homemade vegan nutella?? I think I just had a foodgasm. How big is your food processor? I’m betting it’s gotta be pretty big to blend all of that goodness.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Stepanie, I don’t even know what brand my food processor is. It was a prototype my friend imported from China. It’s fairly large, but not sure of the exact size…big enough to make a nice-sized batch of Nutella anyway. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Oops, meant StepHanie. :)

Stephanie November 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I only ask because I’m in the market for one and I want to feel people out for the best one before taking the plunge.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Stephanie, I hear Cuisinart and KitchenAid both make great food processors.

CaSaundra November 10, 2009 at 8:09 am

I definitely need to make pancakes more often!

Culbreth Audrey November 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Hello , it’s Thanksgiving Day! I’m enjoying my extra day off, and I am planning to doing something fun that’ll probably involve a moto trip and seeing something new in Belmont I haven’t seen yet.
You write new post at Thanksgiving?

{ 4 trackbacks }