Girl Time

by HEAB on November 10, 2009

As much as I love my husband, I am one of those girls who needs lots of girl time. Love love love my girls.

IMG_1824-1.JPG

That was Wig Night. I highly recommend going out and wearing wigs for no reason. Trust me, much fun will be had by all! My other favorite girly get-togethers involve brunch. There is nothing like a Sunday brunch with your girlfriends.

These are all my massage therapy friends. Some of us met in school 5 years ago, and we’ve all worked together at one time or another. We used to get together every month for potluck dinners, but it’s been a while since we’ve all seen one another. Oh girls, how I’ve missed you. We must do this more often!

Check out the spread…

I brought roasted kabocha and Katie’s Pumpkin Pie Stir-Fry. It was hit Katie! Why have I never made this stir-fry before!?!

We also dined on…

salad, non-dairy yogurt with granola, fruit, cheese, bread, spiced pecans, quiche, and Nutella & banana French toast.

Stephanie, the cutest pregnant mama ever, stayed busy making us all French pressed coffee and chai tea lattes. She even thought to bring hemp milk for us non-dairy folks. :)

My sweet friend Jamina, author of a new children’s book called Herman’s Journey, was the host.

‘Mina, thanks for getting everyone together. It was a wonderful day with my girls, and I am beyond excited to see where Herman’s Journey will take you my friend!

I am so grateful for the friends I have in my life. You know what else I’m grateful for?

YogaDownload has added new video classes. In the past, their Website has only offered audio yoga with slide show pictures. Now, you can view an entire yoga class online, and they’ve even added some new ones like Yoga Sculpt and Yoga for Strength. Remember, once you download the classes, they are yours to keep forever. I downloaded some of their new ones last night, and I hope to try one in-between Operation Clean House. Gotta go – I have an early morning appointment with Mr. Swiffer. :)

VeggieGirl November 10, 2009 at 8:48 am

Awesome company and memories – definitely a lot to be thankful for in life!

Evan Thomas November 10, 2009 at 8:50 am

That wig photo is hilarious and has made my day :-)
And you girls know how to eat amazingly!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 10, 2009 at 9:00 am

OHmigosh, did you guys actually go out in the wigs?! I love it!!! lol!!

livingfreeforever November 10, 2009 at 9:02 am

Looks like loads of fun! I must give that pumpkin stir-fry a try!

I saw the new classes on yogadownload but haven’t downloaded any of them yet. Let me know how you like them. The one-yoga sculpt-said it was the most challenging class they offer–YIKES! I think I’ll let you give a go first:)

Have fun with your Mr. Swiffer!

MelissaNibbles November 10, 2009 at 9:05 am

The wigs are fabulous! I agree, girl time is very necessary.

RunToTheFinish November 10, 2009 at 9:05 am

oh i adore girl time. I am so excited to be going back to KC this weekend so that I can see some girls.

love yogadownload too, so thanks for the heads up

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 10, 2009 at 9:11 am

What a great brunch spread!

I love girl time!

The Foodie Diaries November 10, 2009 at 9:14 am

I am all for spontaneous wig wearing!

And I’ve wanted to try Katie’s stir-fry since she posted it–and you’ve just given me the incentive! Maybe t-giving?

Abby November 10, 2009 at 9:22 am

Fabulous time with great friends and food. You guys look super glam in those wigs.. lol.

Katie’s stir fries always look super amazing.. you just inspired me to finally give one of her amazing recipes a try!! :)

HealthySDLiving November 10, 2009 at 9:35 am

HAHAHA That would be so incredibly fun–I’m going to have a wig night ASAP!

molly @thevegandorm November 10, 2009 at 9:35 am

I’ve done the wig thing…mine was a hot pink Farrah Fawcett- keepin’ it classy, of course ;)

Graze With Me November 10, 2009 at 9:42 am

What a fun group and some great food! I don’t have many girlfriends, sad. I’m that weird girl who spends all her time around guys…my husband sure loves that.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 10, 2009 at 9:46 am

Brunch looks spectacular! Especially with Katie’s recipes. Being a blogger is great insurance that you’ll always have an interesting recipe idea to contribute to a party, eh?

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 10, 2009 at 9:51 am

Holy cow, you and your friends look like SUCH FUN GIRLIES! Talk about creative; I’m definitely going to have to suggest a wig night to my friends around here. Wish I could’ve gone to yours!! (Especially with all that kabocha lounging around!)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

Those wigs are HILARIOUS!

Valerie November 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

Nice!
About yoga: how do you download this stuff for free ? When I have tried all I get is music and words but no picture. Am I missing something?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 9:57 am

Valerie, Same thing happened to me, but then I updated my QuickTime Player with the latest version available. Now I can see the video.

brandi November 10, 2009 at 10:02 am

what a fun brunch! i love the wigs in the first picture :)

dailygoods November 10, 2009 at 10:04 am

oh heather! If we lived near each other I know we’d be the best of friends! lovin all the girl time love!!

Wendy November 10, 2009 at 10:05 am

Yum, how scrumptious a feast and with girlfriends, that is the best! It reminds me that my girls and I haven’t planned a yummy meal in ages. Good inspiration, thanks!

Gena November 10, 2009 at 10:09 am

Few things are more precious to me than my girl time. I can’t imagine life without it!

DiningAndDishing November 10, 2009 at 10:15 am

I know what you mean, girl time is sooo important!! Looks like a blast. And the food looks healthy and delish! What more could you want?? :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Chrysta November 10, 2009 at 10:48 am

Looks like so much fun! I definintely agree that its super important to have time with the girls. That spread looks absolutely delicious as well. Im so glad you had a good time. The wigs just cracked me up!

Mama Pea November 10, 2009 at 10:48 am

Uh, no offense, but those wigs are brutal. Yet they still are better than Kim’s from Real Housewives.

gina (fitnessista) November 10, 2009 at 10:59 am

i live for girl time :D
brunch looks amazing.. isn’t it awesome to have healthy friends?!
have a wonderful day and thanks for the yoga video info <3
xoxo

Joy November 10, 2009 at 11:02 am

oh yay! i really prefer video classes, i just downloaded dave farmars and the yoga sculpt. thanks for the heads up

Erica November 10, 2009 at 11:41 am

What a fun Brunch! All of the food looks incredible (although I am most partial to that giant bowl of fresh fruit- yum!). Girl time def rocks and is VERY necessary. Hope the rest of your day is just as fun!

The Pancake Girl November 10, 2009 at 11:44 am

I love girl time too, especially girl time centering around a good meal. That pumpkin pie stir fry looks yummy!

Teresa November 10, 2009 at 11:53 am

Gotta agree- Girl time is a necessity. And what a wonderful group of friends you have there. They are clearly quite the thoughtful bunch- even bringing hemp milk! Sounds like it would have awesome even if the food had sucked, but you ladies sure do know how to make a delicious spread! You should open a message therapy/yoga studio/ cafe- SERIOUSLY!

Scott in Ohio November 10, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Great looking brunch!

Thanks for the tip about the Yoga videos…so much better than still photos of poses.

Hope you don’t find any stray ice cream maker box shreddings while you’re cleaning. ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Scott, I found one shred. :)

missyrayn November 10, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I love girl time. I try to have it occassionally when my one best friend from college is out here near my other. It is loads of fun.

I love yoga downloads but I’m going to have to check out those video options.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I live for girl’s night :) I’m going to suggest we have a Wig party soon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Girl time is sooo important! I am happy to see you preggo girlfriend out with her friends b/c her life is bout to change real soon :) And you ladies look like brunch was awesome!

When you have time (if you have time) I have a question bout the yoga downloads. I am gonna email you.

Happy Day Heather! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Averie, Email me anytime, and my preggo friend is on baby #2. Her first just turned 2, and they’re planning on 4 babies. Cutest family – love them!

Emily November 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm

You’ve inspired me to do some yoga. I have no idea how to get started. I have a feeling I will be terrible at it. I’ll probably buy a DVD of sorts. The spread looks fantastic! I wish I had more girlfriends.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Emily, Check out the free videos over at Polly’s blog: http://www.yogaisyummy.net/?page_id=34. They’re all short and free, and I always recommend them for beginners.

Nick November 10, 2009 at 2:23 pm

So you’re one of THOSE girls. Girls nights always scare me, half the girls are always cruising for guys but the guys don’t know that…. But a night in with food like that? I would beg to be invited…

Never seen squash cooked like that, it reminds me of watermelon. Hot, mushy watermelon, but watermelon nonetheless.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Nick, We’d love to have you – you’re in charge of the PB. :)

Katie November 10, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Delicious eats and fun eats. I want healthy eating friends! LOL Usually I just get made fun of for not eating like they do!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 10, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Great wig photo! I love a good meal with all of my girl friends :)

Nicole November 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Ahh, girl time. Important indeed. I just had some girl time last weekend and I don’t know why we go so long in between hangouts. We must stop letting “things” get in the way of what really make us happy!
Hope your house is all nice and tidy! xoxoxo

homecookedem November 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Awww, I love my girl time too!! :) And I love your wigs!! I need to propose a wig night to my girlfriends sometime!! That brunch looks fantastic!!

Shelby November 10, 2009 at 4:24 pm

That wig photo is ADORABLE!

Kate November 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Hahah, love the wig party! And looks like a delicious brunch spread you had there.

Pure2Raw Twins November 10, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I love girl time!! This post made me miss all my girlfriends back home : ( Love the wig idea…I will think about it.

The food looked amazing! Thanks for the yoga info, I will try them!!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm

You are a pretty blond, but a gorgeous brunette! :-)

Only thing better than girls’ day out is girls’ weekends! Oh BoY!

Christopher Ian Hill November 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Heather,

I think that you should start making youtube videos on how to cook those recipes! :-) Just a thought!

~Chris :-)

Stephanie @ Foodie McFood November 10, 2009 at 9:10 pm

My friend and I like to rock some fierce fake beards in public, but I haven’t tried a wig night. I think that’s next on the list.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 10, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Stephanie, Beards? Ha ha – I love it. Gotta remember that one!

Emily November 10, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Aww, girl time is so important! I’m glad you make time to get together with your girlfriends [love the wigs!].

I got the email about the new yogadownloads, too, and I’m so excited that they have videos now. I can’t wait to try them!

Annie November 10, 2009 at 10:02 pm

You are so blessed!!

BroccoliHut November 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Sounds like a perfect shindig–great friends and fab eats!

Liz November 10, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Aww what a fun brunch. Having good girlfriends is priceless!

Kate November 11, 2009 at 5:41 am

In reply to your comment on my post – of course you can use the recipe! It would be great if you could get a picture, but if not, that’s fine too. I really need to get a working camera…

Thanks for the tips on running. I think when I start back up I will take two days off as well. That should at least help with preventing foot injuries, which I seem to get quite often. :(

Thanks again Heather!

~ Kate

CaSaundra November 11, 2009 at 6:48 am

So fun–girl time rocks! It’s so refreshing :-)

Erin November 11, 2009 at 7:18 am

Oh Heather! So happy you got to spend some time with your sistergirls. So good for the soul, right? You’re all so radiant :) Love it

Valerie November 11, 2009 at 7:43 am

Heather, I think I would have to pay to download the latest quicktime player thing. That sucks. Its too complicated for me :)
Know of any DVDs that are moderately challenging and good quality and at least 30 minutes ?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 11, 2009 at 7:48 am

Valerie, As far as yoga DVD’s go, I really like Polly’s DVD, and I have some of the Sarah Ivanhoe DVD’s as well. They are all great. I also like finding free yoga online:

– Polly has some great online videos perfect for beginners. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you. – Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts! – I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga -sequence/. – Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://www.yogatothepeople.com/tryOnlineClass.shtml

Hope this helps – I love the Sadie Nardini online video – it’s 30 minutes, and it’s pretty challenging. -Heather

Tina November 11, 2009 at 10:17 am

Dang, that’s a good spread! I would love to go to a get-together like that one :)

I finally bought a kabocha squash and can’t wait to roast that baby!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 11, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Oooh Tina, your first kabocha. Please let me know how you like it!

Chelsea Ward November 11, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I love the wig idea, that’s so spontaneous and great. I also love the absolutely incredible brunch spread you ladies enjoyed!

{ 1 trackback }