Saturday Revelations

by HEAB on November 14, 2009

My Whole Foods Revelation: If you hang out there long enough, you’ll keep running into famous people. In fact, look who I ran into there last night…

Maggie and Bobby!!!! Say Yes to Salad is one my favorite blogs (read it everyday), and I was ecstatic when Maggie emailed me yesterday morning with the news that she and Bobby would be passing through Nashville last night on their cross-country trip from California to New York. We met up at Whole Foods, but unfortunately the hot bar had already been closed. So, we ended up at Athens Family Restaurant, a totally bizarre Greek/breakfast place that is open 24 hours on the weekends. Maggie and Bobby had covered over 600 miles yesterday, but were in good spirits. Maggie, I was so happy to finally meet you in person (Bobby too!), and I definitely plan to take you up on your NYC visit offer. (VeggieGirl…I’m thinking January). :) Wishing you safe travels today my friends.

So, I mentioned earlier this week that I’m upping my protein, and you know how you hear about those people that can reintroduce foods they’re allergic to back into their diets after taking a break from said foods? Well, needless to say, I tried that with Greek yogurt this week. Big HUGE mistake. I won’t go into details, but I get it, okay? Dairy is definitely not my friend. Nor, do I ever think it will be. My monthly fro-yo fix is about all I can do, and I probably shouldn’t even do that. Why is frozen yogurt so good?!?

My Fage Revelation: Rinse out the container, and your dog will become possessed and play with it for about 5 minutes…

Last year I gave up chewing gum for Lent, and honestly, I have not chewed it much since. Occasionally at work, I’ll pop a piece or two of some all natural xylitol gum we sell. However, I love garlic, minced, powdered, roasted – whatever. I love it all.

Gum Revelation: All natural xylitol gum does nothing for garlic breath. This week, I bought my first pack of Extra Peppermint gum in almost a year, and I think it’s here to stay.

That’s my it‘s Saturday morning, and I have to be at work at 6:45 AM look. FYI: Not only does Extra gum help with garlic issues, it’s also great for morning coffee breath. :)

Last, but not least, I love coffee shops, Frothy Monkey in Nashville being my favorite.

Coffee shop revelation: I have totally become that person I used to judge…yes, I’m the girl in the trendy coffee shop sitting in front of her Macbook sipping on her cafe au lait (preferably with rice milk) and occupying a table that was not meant for one for way too long. Please don’t judge. ;)

Evan Thomas November 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I need to sit around at WF more often

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm

My dog loves to grab things like that and lick them clean, too. So cute!

calmkindpeace November 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Hi,
That restaurant sounds great. Greek food…yum!

balancejoyanddelicias November 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm

such a surprise visit… I wish i could hang out longer with Bobby and Maggie, I really really like them as human being! Glad you finally met your favorite blogger. I’m sure you had so much fun together! :)
greek yogurt is soooo good, but for dairy intolerant people, it could be a nightmare. I haven’t had it for months now and miss it. I might take the risk to try it again.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 14, 2009 at 1:02 pm

OK, you look so gorgeous in the chewing gum photo- you can see that you don’t have a grain of makeup on and still are soo pretty.

Your friends traveling across country-SOOOOO fun. One day I’d like to rock a trailer aka caravan and drive across the USA and Canada. No seriously. Old school. Slipstream…and GOOOooooo. I see quite a bit of OTHER countries- I’m very very blessed. But I see very little of my own country.

I do chew Eclipse gum. Sugarfree. Tasty. Longest lasting I’ve found. I don’t know if it’s psychological, but a recent study indicated that people who chewed gum after their lunch consumed less calories over the course of the day. I have actually found that to be true. Sometimes when I stand in my pantry and stare at the food (happens a LOT) and think, hmmm I’d like to pop something in my mouth, I won’t do it if I have gum. If I’m truly hungry, I’ll toss the gum and eat something…in other words, eating like a NORMAL person. weird huh?

Have a wonderful day- such an early start?? what gives?
D

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Deb,

Thank you so much! :)

I have a client that only comes once a month, and he prefers 7 AM on a Saturday. I don’t mind so much as I’m usually up anyway. Better 7 AM than 7 PM!

There is a lot of the U.S. I haven’t seen either. Road trip? Let’s go! I’ll pack the Jay Robb. :)

Maggie November 14, 2009 at 1:07 pm

So good to meet you! I can’t wait to see you again. So sad about about the fage… at least there’s always organic chicken right?

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Einstein looks so guilty!

I saw Nastia Liukin in Whole Foods once. I guess the cool people know where to shop :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 14, 2009 at 1:09 pm

PS. Love your Blogger’s Delt (the massive shoulder muscle from holding the camera out in front of yourself and taking a photo)

Finally: Sam would go APEsh*t over the Fage container :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Deb, I’ll send an empty Fage container next time instead of chicken treats. Hehe. ;)

candice November 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Gum is my best friend after meals. :) My favorite flavor is Extra spearmint, but the longest-lasting kind I’ve found is 5 peppermint. Mmm~ <3

Shelby November 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Aw, great meet-up!

I bought natural gum the other day and it was mehhh, I wish I wasn’t so afraid of the chemicals in regular gum so I could buy it!

Heather November 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Hi Heather – If you’re coming to NYC in January you might like Queen of Sheeba on 45th and 10th Avenue. They’re a well known and fabulous Ethiopian restaurant. I love going there for the vegetarian sampler. If you’re interested in trying fun food (no forks or knives – just enjira bread). Yummy! Feel free to email me if you need any info about visits to NYC or to Long Island.

Heather

PS You’re such an inspiration for healthy living. I’m off sugar (about 85%) for two weeks now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Heather, Ethiopian food is my favorite ethnic food…I always sneak in plastic fork. Otherwise, I fill up on all the injera. So good! Thanks for the tip. Would love to share a vegetarian sampler with you if I come up to NYC. Lots of injera and NO sugary dessert. Sound good? ;)

homecookedem November 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Love the doggie picture!! :)

I can’t chew gum without it making me HUNGRY! I can’t figure it out?!! But even if I’ve just had a decent sized meal, for some reason chewing gum makes my tummy growl?? Interested if anyone knows why this is?!!

Julia November 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Oh! I’m at Frothy Monkey at least 3 times a week. The Ned sandwich is absolutely delicious and their side salads are real salads. Maybe I’ll run into you sometime :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Julia, Between our love for Gillian and the Frothy Monkey, I’m sure our paths have crossed numerous times. We will meet someday. :)

Dori November 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Love that you met up with Maggie and Bobby. I am excited to hang out with them in NY and hope you visit!

Kelsey November 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm

seriously, I really love your hair. simply beautiful!
and I can totally relate to being ‘that girl’ at the local coffee place. i can spend hours sipping on americanos whilst computering :D

Rebecca November 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Heather…I actually love your hair in that picture. You just woke up? That is sickening :) I’m so jealous

Marissa November 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I love it when dogs enjoy non-toy items more than real dog toys!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm

What an awesome visit with Maggie!
Sorry to hear about your dairy issues…. just today I posted the reason I went raw/vegan. Food intolerances are one of them.
Dairy intolerance means your body cannot break down the protein that is in dairy. That is not going to change just b/c you quit dairy for awhile. It is a huge peeve of mine when it’s reported that if you take a break from a food, you can eat it later. You can, sure. But it is still probably going to be eroding your intestinal mucosa. Ahh too deep for a comment :)

Suffice to say, I’d love to run into you in a trendy coffee shop and chew gum and work on our macs together :)

Chelsea Ward November 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Your blog makes me want to visit Nashville so very badly. It sounds like such a great city with both rustic country charm and a vital, young energy as well. It’s on the “gotta-see-it” bucket list.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Chelsea, Please come visit. :)

polly November 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm

LOVE YOU! and Maggie???????? HOw fun to meet that sweet girl and her boy Bobbie. FUN FUN FUN!! Love the gum pic. Adorable as ALWAYS. and yes… sigh. Dairy. Why or why can’t we just go to DQ and get a marshmallow milkshake anytime tummy ache free? Sigh.

Oh well… time for blue chips. :D

XOXO

VeggieGirl November 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Love the revelations :)

Susan November 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Aww, such cute pictures in this post! Good job on giving up the gum for so long! I’m still needlessly hooked. And too many pieces kill my tummy and jaw and I still do it. One thing at a time I guess, if I can quit smoking, I can quit gum, right? :)

Sorry the dairy experiment didn’t go well. I think most people have dairy issues anyways, even I can only do 1-2 servings a day. If you think about it, humans are the only species that drink another species’ milk. Weeeeeird.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Susan, Yes, yes, so easy to quit the gum. MUCH easier than my diet soda habit. If it wasn’t for my bad breath paranoia, I’d never chew it again!

Brittany November 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I think I might go to my local Whole Foods today and wait for someone famous to come. You seem to be having good luck! :)

The Pancake Girl November 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Ah, I have that revelation everytime I cave and eat regular cow’s milk ice cream… always turns out to be a bad life decision, if ya know what I mean.

Btw, I was reading some of your early posts the other day because I was bored, and it’s so interesting to see how much have changed you in a year in terms of exercise and diet choices.. You inspire me HEAB, truly!
-Joelle (The Pancake Girl)

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Joelle!

Gosh, some of my older posts…I should go back and read. Or, perhaps not. ;)

Samantha November 14, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Nice arms!!!

Jenny November 14, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I love the shot of your pooch with his paw caught in the greek “cookie jar” so to speak. He follows after his mama :)

Mama Pea November 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I’m not going to ask how Maggie and Bobby smelled :)

I’m back on the sugarless gum too. But off the coffeemate, so there!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm

my dog always loved to play with bottles he would always try to twist the tops off! dogs are such funny animals!

great pic at whole foods!

Nicole November 14, 2009 at 6:10 pm

What an exciting meet up! I’m going to use the excuse that I might run into someone famous so I can stay at the new Whole Foods in town for a really, really long time tomorrow ;)

Katie November 14, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Wow your Whole Foods just packs em in!

LOL I constantly say I have turned into that person I said I would never be. Oops!

Why are you trying to up your protein?

And I LOVE that last photo I think it’s a good one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Katie, Upping my protein for some health reasons. Not trying to lose weight or anything. Will blog about it soon. :)

Erica November 14, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Fun trip to WFs! I want to try frothy monkey. Sorry the greek yogurt experiment didn’t go so hot. Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Food-Fitness-FreshAir November 14, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Haha watch out, gum can be addicting. As for the dairy, I’ve actually heard that everyone is slightly allergic to dairy. I swear that it definitely increases the amount of stuffy noses I have. I try to avoid dairy as much as possible, but do occasionally indulge in some Greek yogurt.

Liesl November 14, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Frothy Monkey! My hubby and I stopped there when we drove through Nashville last month…LOVED it!

Lola November 14, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Hey chicka! In heaven- you and I both will be able to eat as much dairy as we went. We will be swimming in Fro-Yo! Aww wonderful! You mentioned you’re upping the protein? You got me interested, do explain!

Jess November 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Haha, nothing wrong with trendy coffee shops ;)

YAY for a little blogger meetup. Love that!
<3 jess
xoxo

Erin November 14, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I would pay to look like you at 6:45am! I am totally that girl sitting in the coffee shop lately too. Gotta love it. I’m interested to see what the upping the protein looks like because I think I need some more protein in my life lately.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) November 14, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I used to be that person in the coffee shop – hanging out all day with my computer and class books to study or just enjoy the atmosphere :-) I chew Orbit gum – it does wonders for the coffee breath :-)

elise November 14, 2009 at 9:27 pm

yeahhhhh. apparently that WFs is the place to be…well, unless you want hot foods bar action, i guess…

come visit in nyc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 14, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Elise, I want to!!!!! We can sit and eat hummus while I play with your fun spice rack. :)

Nicole November 14, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Oh Heather I’m that person at the trendy coffee shop too. Ugh. How the hell did it happen??? lol
BTW if you go to NY would you be driving or flying? Because if you drive you’ll probably be coming right through DC…. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 15, 2009 at 8:34 am

Nicole, Probably flying, but ya never know. If I’m ever in DC, you’ll be the first to know. :)

Michelle November 14, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Aww Heather! You out of all people should be confident that your natural beauty does not require any explanation because you’re really pretty even at the wee hours of the morning. (How do you not get poofy eyes when you wake up?!?!?!?!)

I love Maggie’s blog too!! (those protein pancakes are awesome. hehehe) How awesome that you guys got to meet up on her road trip!! One day, I’d reallllly love to meet you too. :P

P.s. omg Einstein is ridiculously cute holding that fage tub.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 15, 2009 at 8:37 am

Michelle, I would love to meet you too. Come to Nashville!

Maybe coffee helps with morning eye puff? ;)

Heather (The Momshell Diet) November 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm

New day, new post but I’m still stuck on the one that came before. Does Keith Urban EVER have a bad hair day? This is how he looks when he ducks out for a bite at Whole Foods? Astonishing.

yogiclarebear November 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm

oh you are SOOOO lucky to meet maggie! sorry about the yogurt, but i still think its good to try…you never know. and your dog enjoyed it seems!

Jen (Running With Cake) November 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Love all of your “revelations”! I too have been knowing to sit with my Mac at the Barnes and Noble Cafe, although I usually too absorbed in my work to notice if anyone is judging me. Just give me my vanilla skim latte and an outlet and I tune everything else out.

Chrysta November 14, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Gum is my total weakness. I try to give it up but its the one thing that I just keep coming back to. Im a huge coffee lover as well and I think it helps me out alot in the breath department=) I think I need to start out at Whole Foods more! Im already there alot but myabe if I loiter around Ill run into some people! And I agree FroYo is definently amazing! Just had some peanut butter froYo last night that was out of this world!

hotflashbang November 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Dang Heather… so let me get this straight.. you’d just crawled out of bed.. fixen’ to go to work… chewin’ some gum.. stuck your arm out with the camera and you look like THAT??? WOW!! You are so naturally beautiful… inside AND out…
Annie

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

Annie, Wow, your comment totally made my morning. Thank you! :)

Heather November 15, 2009 at 7:56 am

Meeting up at Queen of Sheeba sounds great!

Pure2Raw Twins November 15, 2009 at 8:27 am

Ya we learned the hard way too with everything we are intolerant too : ( Sorry to hear about your dairy issue! I know that pain. Although love the picture of your dog playing with the empty container : )

thebalancebroad November 15, 2009 at 9:25 am

Oh, sweet gum…why do you have to taste so good?! I had a teacher in 8th who had HORRIBLE breath – and she would get SUPER close to talk to you. From that point on, I vowed never to be that person! ;-) I love the Extra Polar Ice – I feel like I just brushed my teeth when I pop it in.

eatmovelove November 15, 2009 at 9:42 am

Great post haha!! I love gum as well – just until it loses its flavor. It’s great for after lunch at work when I don’t have time to brush. Ohhhh and I love the coffee shop thing…I wish I wouldn’t have to drive to the nearest one to do that though…sigh…oh to be in a beautiful Cali setting watching the sunset sipping on a sophisticated fancy schmancy drink writing a screenplay that’ll make me millions…;)

Lara (Thinspired) November 15, 2009 at 2:48 pm

As I said on Maggie’s blog, I am not sure which one of you I am more jealous of, getting to meet the other one! ;)

missyrayn November 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This post cute. Our dog Leo plays with my socks when we do laundry :-)

DiningAndDishing November 16, 2009 at 10:30 am

haha, i think it’s totally fine to occupy a coffee shop table for far too long! when coffee costs $5 i say take all the time you want :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 16, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I had my first piece of gum in months today after eating some vegan mashed potatoes that I was a little heavy-handed with the garlic powder!

I just had one piece from a bowl of samples at the bookstore though. I’m not ready to buy a pack yet, too tempting ;-)

{ 1 trackback }