Home Late, Quick Dinner

by HEAB on November 18, 2009

I must say I have a new found respect for all 3 posts-a-day bloggers. It’s fun, but not easy!

After a super fast 2 mile walk/jog with the pups, I took a quick shower and got ready to go into work. Lunch was great, but I knew it wouldn’t hold me through an afternoon of massage therapy sessions. So, I blended 2 TBSP chia seeds with 2 cups water in the Vita-Mix and let it gel while I took a shower. Then, before leaving, I made a smoothie with the chia gel, canned pumpkin (1/3 cup?), 1 scoop vanilla pea protein powder (random sample I had), cinnamon, stevia, xanthan gum, guar gum, & ice. Gulped it down on the way to the office and later decided that I don’t like pea protein powder. It makes my belly gurgle.

That 32 ounces of pumpkin pie goodness got me through the afternoon, but by the time I arrived home around 7:30, I was hungry again. CD had already eaten the crock-pot meatballs I made for him. Therefore, I was on my own for dinner, and in honor of my favorite Chocolate Covered gal, I made an all vegan dinner, kale chips and a Garden Herb Sunshine Burger smothered in this…

I love ketchup. Then look what I discovered sitting in our cabinet…

An almost empty almond butter jar. I’d say there was a good 2 to 3 heaping spoonfuls left. Now, I couldn’t let it go to waste, could I?

Vanilla cinnamon protein ice-cream in the almond butter jar concludes this, a day of eats in the life of HEAB. Won’t you please join me for breakfast? Hope so. Night. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 18, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Yum! That ice cream looks so good! especially in the nut butter jar :)

I agree w/you! Blogging 3x per day is a lot of work!

homecookedem November 18, 2009 at 9:07 pm

How do you only have almost finished jars of nut butters???!!! :) I wish I was so lucky!!!!!! :)

Thanks for posting your meals!! This is very helpful since I’m trying to up my protein intake and lower my carbs as well. Night HEAB! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 9:11 pm

HomecookedEm, I keep a lot of empty jars on hand and transfer nut butter from jar to jar making sure to smear it all over the inside. One of my many quirks. ;)

Jessica November 18, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I loved the 3-a-day posts. It was great to see what you eat in a day.

Evan Thomas November 18, 2009 at 9:15 pm

That ketchup looks good, but I find the label a little misleading. It seems to contradict itself when it says “no sugar added” and then “made with agave”. I understand what they mean but agave is a sweetener with simple sugars in the end

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Evan, I agree. Agave and sugar – both simple sugars in the end. However, both taste sooo good when mixed with tomato paste. :)

Tyler November 18, 2009 at 9:15 pm

yumm!!! that ice cream looks great! i will definitely be back for breakfast :)

eaternotarunner November 18, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Yum that ice cream in a jar looks good!

Kathleen November 18, 2009 at 10:16 pm

That salad looks delish!

missyrayn November 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm

3 posts a day is hard. I couldn’t do it. I’m still learning how to blog and getting one up a day can be hard at times.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm

You’re a posting machine with this little 3 day plan of yours:) I thought I would just say that I LOVE ketchup too but since I dont eat bean/veggie burgers, I dont have anything to put it on…til I see that huge kale salad w/ ketchup. Ok that looks great and I’m gonna try it soon :) Do you use anything else on it, or just ketchup? I like my kale to get wilty from the “broccoli slaw homemade dressing” that I make. Which just got published an hour ago with your recipe on my reader tribute post. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 7:41 am

Averie, For my kale chips, I drizzle a little coconut oil on the kale, salt, and pepper and roast them in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. It’s funny b/c I wanted to make Mama Pea’s version of you kale chips last night, but was too hungry to wait for them to dry out in the oven. :)

justrun November 18, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I’m thinking I could try the protein ice cream without the cocoa and call it, um, vanilla? (Not a chocolate lover.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 7:45 am

Justrun, Yes, just leave out the cocoa, use vanilla protein powder, and maybe add a few drops of vanilla or almond extract. Just as yummy!

Corinne Dobbas November 18, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Ha-ha! So creative with the almost done almond butter! LOVE it! You can’t let that fine food go to waste! I also always manage to get every last drop / smiddgen out of the good ol’ almond butter jar! Personally, I use a knife, but maybe I need to expand my horizons:)
Best–Corinne @ Green Grapes Blog

Tiffanie Hage November 19, 2009 at 6:07 am

That was one GIGANTIC pumpkin shake you had there! Oh my!!! :) Love your blog!!!! Read it daily! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 7:44 am

Thanks for reading Tiffanie!

VeggieGirl November 19, 2009 at 6:12 am

Great fall flavors!

carolinebee November 19, 2009 at 6:19 am

Haha oh heabs, I am luckyyyy to post 3 times a week at this point!! :D Glad work and life is going well- heart you!!!!

Melanie November 19, 2009 at 6:59 am

I love the 3x/day posting:)…I always get excited when a HEAB post shows up on my Google Reader…makes my day in the salt mine a little more joyful.

Question…I’m not familiar with Xanthan/guar gums…why so many gums in the smoothie in addition to the chia gel? What does it do to the texture? I don’t generally add anything “gel-like” into my smoothies, which might be why they’re kind of grainy with the ice.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 7:43 am

Melanie, Deb posted a helpful post recently on the gums, and I use them for the same reason: thick creamy volume! Here is Deb’s post: http://smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-i-use-xanthan-and-guar-gums-in-my.html

shelby November 19, 2009 at 7:25 am

Mmm, ketchup is good on anything!

And that ice cream looks to die for!

Lina November 19, 2009 at 7:45 am

This sounds like an ultra tasty way to get in that maca, the taste is a bit rough in such huge doses!

Maca Hot Chocolate
Adding Maca Powder to traditional hot cocoa recipes makes an especially creamy and frothy version of this classic cool weather treat. Not to mention the fact that it provides a nutritious boost of vitamins, minerals, and almost 100% of your daily calcium in this cup of cocoa alone!

1 cup milk or milk substitute
2 Tbl. Zocalo Maca Powder
2 Tbl. cocoa powder
2 Tbl. sweetener of choice

In a small sauce pan heat milk over medium heat. Add cocoa powder, sweetener, and maca powder — if maca powder has clumps sift before adding to liquid. Whisk while heating until mixture is smooth and at desired drinking temperature.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 7:52 am

Thanks Lina. I’ll try this. I’ve been making hot cocoa with rice milk, cocoa powder, and stevia. No reason I can’t throw some maca in as well. :)

CaSaundra November 19, 2009 at 7:48 am

I can’t imagine blogging 3 times a day!! I just don’t have the time for it..maybe one day!

Tina November 19, 2009 at 8:08 am

Ahhh love the protein ice cream. It looks so good!! I like hearing from you multiple times a day :)

Chelsea Ward November 19, 2009 at 8:13 am

I hear ya on the 3-per-day posts. I’m finding myself just doing a monstrous end-of-the day recap now. I like to write in bulk!

That salad looks off the hook!

claire November 19, 2009 at 8:38 am

I was wondering if that ketchup really sweet.I LOVE ketchup.I tried Annie’s, but that was too sweet for me.I used to be a Heinz girl tyring to go organic:-) cc

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 8:52 am

Claire, It’s pretty sweet – like Annie’s. Probably why I like it so much…me and my sweet tooth!

coconutbutter November 19, 2009 at 8:43 am

3 posts a day must be a full-time job. Heather you are unique :) Drop by my blog if you get a chance, I dropped your name because I was talking about my beloved Maranatha Almond butter.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 19, 2009 at 11:32 am

I must make protein ice cream!

Diana November 19, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Oh yum! ice cream! :D

DouglasH November 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

In the simple sugar department. Better a natural sugar, such as the Frutose in the the Tomato and the full agave nectar than a refined sugar. imo.

Douglas