What I Eat

by HEAB on November 18, 2009

After receiving several requests for what I eat in a day, I’ve decided to post 3 consecutive days of my eats…uncensored. Are you prepared? ;)

Because an entire day of eats can be a bit overwhelming, I’m going to try and post 2 to 3 times over the next few days. To my regular readers/commenters, as much as I love hearing from you, please don’t feel obligated to read and comment on every post. I just thought smaller posts throughout the next few days would be a better format. However, I’m not even sure if I can keep up myself. We shall see.

Since my diet has switched up a bit lately, I’ll also share what I would usually eat if my meal seems out of the ordinary…OK, so they are all a bit unordinary, but you know what I mean. :)

Ready?

Well then, let’s get started….

Breakfast this morning consisted of a Ole high fiber tortilla quesadilla with 4 ounces of grilled chicken smothered in cinnamon, maca powder, and hazelnut butter. (A BIG HUGE thank-you to Smoothie Girl Deb for my maca and hazelnut butter). Deb, the nut butter is almost gone. CD & I LOVE! Not pictured: 1 and 1/2 mugs of coffee with my confessional creamer.

Honestly, this was not a typical breakfast for me, but I just went with what I was craving in the moment. Turned out quite tasty. A normal HEAB breakfast usually consists of 1/2 to 1 cup grains (oat bran being my favorite) cooked with water and mixed with rice protein powder and served in a nut butter jar. You’ve seen it all before.

Although I won’t be doing this for every meal, below are the stats.

Picture 1.png

Not sure how I could be getting only 18 grams of carbs and 26 grams of fiber, but whateva. Twas good and filling.

So much to do today. Spent some time in the office early this morning, came home to breakfast, and now time to get to work on some house projects. Also hoping to fit in a YogaDownload class, a dog walk, some Oatie baking, and a few errands before heading into work at 3:30.

See ya soon.

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 18, 2009 at 10:26 am

Learning more about my favorite Heather: priceless :)

Oatie-making, did you say? Um, wait a sec. I’ll be right over!

Love,
Katie, who just got some maca powder in the mail from a sweet bloggie too!

maggie November 18, 2009 at 10:27 am

I love how you eat whatever your craving! Sometimes I wake up and just want brussel sprouts and kabocha….weird but does the trick!

Can’t wait to read more,
Maggie

MYBREAKFASTBLOG.COM

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 18, 2009 at 10:32 am

Wow, what an interesting combo! I would have never thought about nutbutter w/chicken for b-fast… looks great :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) November 18, 2009 at 10:34 am

Oh yay! I love that you eat what you’re craving…! Chicken and nut butter sounds like a perfect combo.

Erica November 18, 2009 at 10:35 am

I’m looking forward to all of your posts! Sounds like you have a nice day planned :) I will email you about next week! Can’t wait to finally meet up with you

coconutbutter November 18, 2009 at 10:37 am

Now that is a different breakfast for certain, but it is what make you unique :) Eating the way you want to eat is a good quality to have, rock it! Thanks for dropping by my bloggie yesterday. If you ever get a chance again with your business , try not to be a stranger :)

MelissaNibbles November 18, 2009 at 10:48 am

That looks great. Nut butter and cinnamon go with anything :)

molly @thevegandorm November 18, 2009 at 11:04 am

It’s a little sad how excited I am for multiple HEAB posts in a day. :)

The Pancake Girl November 18, 2009 at 11:08 am

I always think it’s interesting to see what people have for bfast (or what they have in their fridge, for that matter). I personally think breakfast choices tell a lot about a person.. is that weird? Anyways, gotta say I could never imagine craving chickie first thing in the morning, but I’m a person who’s had pasta for breakfast before so I guess it all evens out. ;-) Have a happy day Heather!

Kate November 18, 2009 at 11:09 am

hazel nut butter question for you. does your homemade version get creamy? i too attempted to make nutella this weekend with hazelnuts, cocoa powder and vanilla. after almost killing my cuisinart food processor, i scrapped it as it was just a powdery mess of nuts and cocoa powder. any tips?

thanks!
kate

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 11:13 am

Kate, Did you roast the hazelnuts and remove the skins first? I find that makes me a much creamier nut butter. That being said, my raw version did get creamy. It just took forever! Also, make sure to process the hazelnuts first, all by themselves before adding any other ingredients.

Chrysta November 18, 2009 at 11:11 am

That looks really interesting! What a great combo. Its definently good to go with your cravings=)

Lara (Thinspired) November 18, 2009 at 11:14 am

I’m so excited for this :) So much protein and fiber! Not familiar with maca powder…maybe I need to bribe Deb to hook me up? ;)

Jenny November 18, 2009 at 11:15 am

chicken and hazelnut butter? you are my hero.

Mandy A November 18, 2009 at 11:21 am

Thanks for the new breakfast idea!! I wonder if it would be good without the maca powder? I don’t have any :(

Hey… how was the yoga sculpt the other day? I was thinking of trying it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

Mandy, I’m sure it would taste just fine without the maca! I did the yoga sculpt – 60 minutes video without weights. It was perfect. Time flew by. Hoping to do the yoga strength WITH weights today. I’ll let you know. Still need to Chipotle. What’s your schedule like?

Damjana November 18, 2009 at 11:23 am

great that you live so close to your office to eat at home.
i love tortillas too:). however i’ve never added cinnamon to meat or fish

Pure2Raw Twins November 18, 2009 at 11:24 am

Yay for Maca. Glad you are enjoying it. I find weird food combos is sometimes the best meals!!

erintakescontrol November 18, 2009 at 11:24 am

I love your creativity! Adding chicken w/ nut butter slapped on a tortilla to my list!

Lee November 18, 2009 at 11:26 am

I’ve been interested in finding out more about Maca. Do you recommend a certain brand?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Lee, I’m using the brand Deb sent me: http://www.vitacost.com/Life-Flo-Maca-Gold-trade#IngredientFacts. It’s my first experience with maca, and so I don’t have any other brands to recommend. The Pure2Raw girls recommend several online choices from where they purchase it: http://www.pure2raw.com/2009/11/raw-recipes-coconut-oil-lucuma-stevia-desserts/

missyrayn November 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm

This will be fun to read. Thanks for doing this :-)

Jen (Running With Cake) November 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I find posting EVERYTHING that I eat is very challenging, as I’m sure you will see after today/tomorrow with your own posts. Sometimes, I may grab a few pretzels or a handful of trail mix, which I don’t think is anything to write home (or on my blog) about. I’m curious to see your reaction to this new/temporary style of blogging!

Annie November 18, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hi I’m new to the blogging world and added you as a blog that I follow! I really love oat bran and nut butter as well… and I made a new oatmeal pancake recipe this morning that I think you’ll really enjoy as well. It uses oat bran, oatmeal, and almond butter with almond milk to hold it together! It was so delish this morning when I made it, so please check it out when you get a chance! Thanks! Annie

The Foodie Diaries November 18, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Pollo for breakfast!? Me gusta.

Liz November 18, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for doing daily eats! Interesting choice with the chicken for breakfast. I know what you mean though when you are craving something very specific. It’s best to follow that craving…unless it involves fro-yo (for me at least, cus gosh darn I always crave fro-yo! ;) )

Shari B. November 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I’m so glad you linked back to your post on ‘confessional coffee’ (since it was written before I’d discovered your blog.) I too add CoffeeMate. I don’t do much dairy any more, and try to eliminate HFCS, transfatty acids, artificial sweeteners, soda, meat, soy isolates, etc. from my diet. But there’s nothing better than the one cup of coffee I have in the morning with my rich and creamy (and chock full of junk) CoffeeMate. I just haven’t been able to break that one yet. It’s TOO GOOD!!

I tried MimicCreme, which I adore for all other cooking/recipes where cream is needed. But sometimes in my coffee it leaves these weird floaters that just freak me out – I don’t want to CHEW my coffee after I take a swig!

Thanks for sharing your food! Have a great day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Shari B. I enjoyed both the MimicCream and the So Delicious Coconut Milk creamers, but I LOVE my sugar-free vanilla Coffee-Mate. I won’t lie – it’s what gets me out of bed in the morning. Good to know I’m not alone. :)

Evan Thomas November 18, 2009 at 2:29 pm

nut butter and chicken? That IS somethign worth sharing

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 18, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I love that you are sharing this with us! You always inspire me to eat what my body is craving and to do what is right for my body with exercise too. Can’t wait to see more :)

hayleycepeda November 18, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I’m excited to see your eats! The carrot fries look delicious…a “fry” I have yet to try! Man that was cheesy…I didn’t even mean for it to rhyme. I’m still stuck on butternut squash fries right now. I can’t even find kabocha! I like the idea of using a wire rack. Does that make every veggie you bake more crispy?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Hayley, Yes, the wire rack is great for all veggies. More crisp – try it with your beloved butternut. :)

shelby November 18, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Yay! I can’t wait to see the rest of these posts :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 18, 2009 at 6:56 pm

OMG Your “fries” were crispy??? Sign me up. And love chix with hnut butter- like a Thai kinda thing. Hmm. the stats are suspect :-/

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 18, 2009 at 6:57 pm

PS You’re sooo welcome on the maca and hnut butter! Enjoy, friend!

Erin November 18, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Hey Heather – What tool are you using to calculate the calories of your meals? Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 18, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Erin, I used to use Fitday.com, but I like this site a lot more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate

janetha November 19, 2009 at 4:23 pm

i love chicken i love cinnamon, why have i never paired them? and yeah that is wonky with the carbs to fiber ratio? but hey.. holler to the protein! yayy. that looks really good!

glidingcalm November 22, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I love your eats!! they always look like they have so much staying power!!! That wrap is such a great idea. Def. need to get my hands on more hazelnut butter!!! I think I’ve only had it once?