101 Uses For Maca

by HEAB on November 19, 2009

Morning. Much to do today my friends. Much to do. Still working on our house project. I’m switching up one of our guest rooms. It’s been fun, but has required a lot of cleaning, furniture moving, and a few Target trips. I also owe a certain someone a batch of Oaties. Deb, I promise they will get made today!

I didn’t sleep very well last night after a certain pup decided she was ready to greet the day at 4 AM.

No, our dogs don’t usually sit on the kitchen table, but they can get away with anything before I’ve had my morning coffee. At least she chose to sit on the magazine I was reading rather than directly on the table. How considerate of you Radley. Deb, I promise to sterilize the kitchen before any Oatie baking. P.S. I covet all bloggers who have that camera pulled up on the computer screen. :)

Breakfast was another savory quesadilla.

Scrambled eggs with leftover grilled chicken breast between 2 La Tortilla High Fiber tortillas. This really needed some hummus or avocado. Since I had neither, I slapped on some mustard, vegenaise, and horseradish instead. Horseradish? Yes, I love that stuff.

I then played barista and made myself a maca mocha, which is really fun to say.

This morning in my inbox there was a recipe for maca hot chocolate from Lina. So, I thought why not? Using my Aerolatte Frother (Love my frother. All coffee addicts should own one), I combined about 16 ounces of coffee with 1 TBSP maca powder, 1 TBSP dark cocoa powder, and my beloved coffee creamer. Hmm, the taste…hard to describe. Earthy chocolate? Let’s just say I’d drink this again. Thanks for the idea Lina!

Off to clean the kitchen, do some Mona Fartlek intervals on the stationary bike, play with the dogs, bake, go to Target, and do some massage therapy. Later my friends.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 19, 2009 at 9:05 am

I just bought the La Tortilla tortillas yesterday at the store. I haven’t been able to find them. I am excited to try!

Angela November 19, 2009 at 9:10 am

Your dog is sooo cute! My cat gets us up at the crack of dawn too. He sits in the corner of the room and meows until our eyes open…lol.

I love maca but I am not sure I could take a full T in my drink. It has a very strange caramel-like flavour. I put just 1 t in my green monsters.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 19, 2009 at 9:19 am

I’ve never tried maca but I keep reading positive reviews. I’ll have to test it out!

Jillian November 19, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hi dear…the pic of you and pup is adorable:). You are inspiring me with your breakfast quesadillas! I made your oaties again (i don’t know if i can have them sitting in my house) and added some pumpkin…yummo! Hugs to you..enjoy the day!

The Pancake Girl November 19, 2009 at 9:54 am

I like horseradish too, even though I don’t know entirely that much about it.. Have a goood day!

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 19, 2009 at 10:00 am

Boo!!! I just wrote you a long comment and wordpress ATE IT!

Boo boo boo!

Oh well, love you anyways.

-Katie

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 19, 2009 at 10:01 am

P.S. Loved your last post too :)

Kristy November 19, 2009 at 10:09 am

Good Morning Heather, At least it’s morning of here in California. I was wondering if there is a guide to how much Maca is okay to have? I am very interested in trying it but have heard some cautions about it. I think the benefits sound exactly what my body is needing right now. Let me know if you have any thoughts about where to start on the Maca road!

Hope you have a great day! Love the dog on the table!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 10:29 am

Kristy, Ha ha – I figured everyone would be totally disgusted by the dog on the table thing. Not a usual occurrence in our house, trust me. Not really sure about the maca. I’m just taking the recommended 2 TBSP a day of the brand I have: http://www.vitacost.com/Life-Flo-Maca-Gold-trade#IngredientFacts.

DiningAndDishing November 19, 2009 at 11:11 am

Your dog on the table is so cute!! Brave little guy :O)

Hope you get some rest today!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Chrysta November 19, 2009 at 11:27 am

This a cool post. I have some maca and have been looking for ways to use it. Can you pretty much just add it in to whatever you are eating at the moment?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Chrysta, As far as I know. Just depends on if you need to mask the taste or not. So far, I don’t mind the taste, I think maca pairs better with sweet rather than savory.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 19, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Hahah, who are you kidding heabs, have you not seen 20348458558 photos of Sam on the countertop sniffing shakes, fudge turds, nut butters and havent’ I said that cat hair (or dog) is good for the digestion :-) I’m a bad mommy- she gets away with murder with that face of hers.

I’m with angela – eek a whole T is a lot of maca. Yes, I only ever could stomach the maca in coffee concoctions- usually blended into a coffee maca shake (cold obv).

Check out pimpmyproteinshake.com for a whole thing on maca today- she rocks, Allie does.

Erica November 19, 2009 at 12:59 pm

hahah- we should have chatted this morning! My long runs give me this really weird insomnia the night I do them. I fall asleep right away and then wake up at an extremely odd, early hour (this morning it was 3:45 am). Fun stuff. That coffee sounds delicious. I need a frother like whoa

Evan Thomas November 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I can’t stomach horseradish at all. It just doesn’t work for me.

Brandi November 19, 2009 at 1:03 pm

love that picture of you and the pup :) What a funny way to start the day.

I need one of those frothers! I bought one for my little sister and her husband, but never got one for me.

Hope you have a good day Heather!

VeggieGirl November 19, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Hehe, awesome photo of you and the pup :-D

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 19, 2009 at 1:14 pm

PS LOVE the look on your face as you are watching him sit on the table!! ha ha

balancejoyanddelicias November 19, 2009 at 1:22 pm

such a cute pic of you and your puppie! Maca powder on coffee? wooo!!!
and savory breakfast? yeah~ same here! love it! ;)

Kathleen November 19, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I’ve tried maca, but I’m not good at thinking of ways to enjoy its flavor rather than mask it, but the mocha sounds like something I would like.

I don’t think I’ve ever complimented you on your hair. Maybe its a weird thing to say on a food blog, but you have fantastic hair!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Kathleen. It was looking kind of crazy in that picture – I appreciate the compliment. :)

prettyladycmu November 19, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Adorable picture :)

Ali November 19, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I laughed at the dog on the table! My friends are goofy neurotic about animal hair mixing with food. One friend (unbeknownst to him) ate some corn muffins and later found out that the woman who made them let her dogs lick the batter. He was completely grossed out afterward! And another friend’s sister will be boiling spaghetti and scratch her dog with the spatula. She reasons that the water is boiling hot and will remove any germs. I am not so sure about that!

Allie (Protein Girl) November 19, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Maca must be in the air! I totally got the maco mojo this morning too! At least I beat Smoothie Girl to the punch, this time at least…

I had a crazy Brussels Sprouts, eggs, pesto, nutritional yeast and maca saute for breakfast. Yummers.

Meg November 19, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I agree, that picture of you is so great! And the dog on the table=adorable.
I recently bought maca powder for the first time, and have been at a loss for things to do with it. I’ve just been using it in smoothies so far… it’s kind of an odd taste. It’s supposed to be good for balancing hormones, apparently, so I’m giving it a try. I look forward to seeing more of your maca ideas!

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm

What a cute pic of your dog! Puppies have a mind of their own :)

Carolyn November 19, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Radley is smaller than i thought she was… Looks very happy up there…Nothing wrong with a dog on the table once in a while..

Now, having said that …you know the reason my kitchen table is pub height…

Did you ever notice the bottom of dogs feet smell naturally like Fritos?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Carolyn, Fritos – Yes! And sometimes Doritos. CD and I talk about that all the time. So funny – I didn’t know others thought that.

justrun November 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I am amazed that you can wake up to a recipe in your inbox and have the wherewithall to make it first thing in the morning!

I can’t quite tell what kind of camera that is, but I have a D300 and I will come take photos for you any time, on one condition: you help me figure out how to make my hair like your hair. Deal? Great!

justrun November 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I am amazed that you can wake up to a recipe in your inbox and have the wherewithal to make it first thing in the morning!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Justrun, Here is the camera on the computer screen: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS500D/. And how to make your hair look like my hair. Roll out of bed and don’t touch it. :)

megan November 19, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Just out of curiosity – what kind of camera is it in the picture? I’m camera-obsessed recently!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Megan, Here is the link to the camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS500D/. It takes amazing pictures!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

My dog gets away with everything before I’ve had coffee too!

I have been reading more about maca since you’ve mentioned it and I really want to try some now. I heard it can help regulate menstrual cycles, which I need badly. I’m going to keep doing research though.

MarathonVal November 19, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Haha, the look on your face is hilarious!

Heather, do you have a favorite supplier of maca? I would like to find an online source that sells it cheaper than Whole Foods :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

MarathonVal, I’ve been using this brand: http://www.vitacost.com/Life-Flo-Maca-Gold-trade#IngredientFacts, but only because Smoothie Girl Deb sent some to me. Never done the research or bought any for myself.

Mama Pea November 19, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I might not turn down dog hair oaties. They are THAT GOOD.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie November 19, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I didn’t actually realize your dog was ON the table until you wrote that. So funny.

I was just reading about maca the other day, may have to try it.

Emily November 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Radley looks so calm and cool on your kitchen table, haha! Crazy!

I made my first batch of homemade almond butter HEAB style yesterday!

Jean November 19, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Radley is sitting on your magazine so you will pay attention to him! :-) If you’re reading the magazine, you’re surely going to notice him (at least I’m assuming that’s the thought process). My animals have done that to me FOREVER. But how can you get mad at such a sweet face? I have a cat that is a morning cat – goes to bed early (seriously!) and wants me up WAY too early. The other cat will stay in bed & snuggle as long as I stay there. Gotta love ‘em!

I am a fan of horseradish, but never had it on my eggs – will have to give it a try. never had maca, but need to give it a try, too.

twistedska November 19, 2009 at 5:42 pm

So glad you liked the chocolate maca drink, mixing it with coffee it brilliant. The bold flavor of coffee should pair nicely with the maca. Or it might be about the strongest strangest flavor my mouth has yet to encounter but…we shall see.
Now I must wait for my IBS episode to fade so I can start drinking coffee again! Someone else gave me an awesome sounding maca recipe have yet to try it but sounds like it’ll satisfy a sweet tooth!
Maca “fudgies”
put 1 1/2 T raw cacao powder and 1/2 T raw maca in a little bowl and slowly mix a little almond milk until it becomes like a paste..maybe a little softer than a paste. mix in a little chopped almonds. Then drop spoonfuls on parchment paper and put it in the freezer for a short time to harden

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Twistedska, Maca fudge balls – yum. Thanks for the recipe!

Marissa November 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I <3 Maca. Is it just me or does it smell like popcorn to anyone else? Bueller?
;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

Marissa, How much maca do you use? The brand I have recommends 2 TBSP a day, but others tell me they only use a tsp at a time. Just don’t want to go overboard.