Oatie Lovin

by HEAB on November 19, 2009

Deb, I baked your Maple Nut Oaties.

However, I guess I should really call them Maple Seed Oaties since I used sunflower seed butter rather than almond butter as I know Deb loves her Sunbutter. :) I also subbed NuNaturals Stevia Baking Blend for half the maple syrup.

I got all my errands done, and for my workout, I skipped the Mona Fartleks and instead took a 45 minute hike with the pups on a trail near our house. I didn’t arrive home for lunch until 2 PM and threw some kale in the oven. While it roasted, I did 15 push-ups, a 2 minute plank hold followed by a 1 minute plank hold, and then I held my nemesis Dragonfly pose for 5 minutes. Someday, I will be able to do this…

120_d_advanced.JPG

SO.NOT.THERE.YET.

I soon heard the oven beeping and my kale chips were done.

Avert your eyes CD. CD is not a fan of my ketchup smothering ways. In honor of Michelle and Katy’s vegan week, I kept with my own vegan theme for lunch. After getting in my greens, course #2 was of course dessert.

Chocolate protein ice-cream with Sunbutter and 1 Oatie. Deb, I know I sent you an email saying the recipe yielded 29 cookies. Well, I only sent 28… had to taste-test one for ya. They are good, but super sweet. In fact, this combo was a bit too much for me. Tasted yummy, but felt kind of gross afterwards.

Off to work I go. Hope everyone is having a good day! See you later tonight. :)

claire November 19, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I LOVE your ketchup smothering ways!!! I do it,too.hehe…I’m going to try your ketchup next…BTW ,I wish I looked half as good as you do in the morning:-) cc

Carolyn November 19, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Quit adding little pig noses to your ice cream Heather.. :-) …. i can see it in there……i don’t think that’s vegan… :=8 )

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Carolyn, I totally see the pig. Hilarious!

faith in food November 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm

maca is a superfood! i did a post on it a few months back and was putting it in my green monsters! i think you had it kind of late last night?? it is a caffeine kick in itself!! it always made me super hyper! enjoy! i love nuvita naturals!

faith in food November 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm
Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Faith. Been thinking about you. Call me soon!

maggie November 19, 2009 at 4:30 pm

When I was out shopping for groceries I saw some Bob Mill’s thickeners and I thought of you….lol I’m dying to try that protein ice cream but my wallet does seem to want to budge…so pricy! Keep posting pictures of it so I can drool :)

Maggie

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 19, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Jealous!! Can we rewind to Halloween and I’ll dress up as Deb and take her oaties?

No? Well then can I come over for kale chips and protein ice cream at least? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Katie, You know you’re welcome to come over any time. :)

Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I love your ketchup smothering ways! I do that with almost all veggies – it’s just so delicious.

Your oaties are incredible. Really and truly. I think I went through the entire batch in just a few days when you sent them back in May. Deb is one lucky woman! I hope she enjoys all 28 of them and am glad that you tested the waters for her ;)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 19, 2009 at 5:23 pm

OH my yum!!!! Thank you thank you. I think i just drooled. Hmmmm, too sweet? Ya think I could sub out even more of the maple syrup and add maple extract? you know me, trying to cut cut cut calories if possible. (Then add them back in about a million other ways of course!!) Your original oaties are perfection, but when I’m trying new things to lower cals, I’m willing to suspend belief of tasting perfection! :-) (this is why I could eat shirataki noodles- not sure about nowadays though- they kinda gross me out)

Anyway, HEABS, I’m one lucky gal! thanks again!

VeggieGirl November 19, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Goooood luck at work!! :)

Evan Thomas November 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Hehe,, I was just about to smother some broccoli in ketchup and had to think “Wait. Is it vegan, or would they sweeten it with honey?!” Thankfully the answer was no:-)

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 19, 2009 at 5:39 pm

ketchup with kale???? the colors looks great !! haha :)
the oats ball looks VERY yummy!

merittothecarrot November 19, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Everything looks delicious! especially the ketchup drizzled kale. I really love your protein ice cream creations. I must take a whack at my own bowl, sooner rather than later.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Oh I just realized why it’s so sweet- I thought it was from the stevia (might be) but it’s from the SUN butter!!!!

shelby November 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Mmm, I love smothering everything in ketchup. Just did that to my dinner :)

molly @thevegandorm November 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Haha I’m with CD – ketchup grosses me out on anything!

Pure2Raw Twins November 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm

You maca cocao earlier looked so yummy! Yeah for maca! I would love to do that yoga pose one day! I am still working on my handstands! Grrr. One day right ;) I used to be a big time ketchup lover… and would put it on weird things… so love it!

calmkindpeace November 19, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Heather, I am not a protein-girl like you at all. Opposite pretty much. I think I am getting enough protein anyway, and past point of caring. Cookies and pizza , yum :) …more for me :)
That is what is nice about blogs – go to one place and see your morning chicken (definitely different) and go to another and see yummy bowl of oatmeal and hummus sandwiches, etc…your workout sounds phenomenal. It was pouring rain here today and I did a short and lazy 30 minute walk. So boring, but thats the way it goes.
Just wondering too what does CD do for a living?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm

CalmKindPeace, CD is a financial analyst. 30 minute walk – nothing wrong with that! :)

candice November 19, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I think putting sunflower seed butter in baked goods is genius! I’ll definitely have to try that sometime! :D

The Foodie Diaries November 19, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I want an oatie!! Can you send Deb 27? ;)

homecookedem November 19, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Deb is so lucky!! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 19, 2009 at 7:12 pm

MMMM OATIES!!!! I keep meaning to make them… i always have only a few of the ingredients on hand :)

Janna November 19, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Is that a Dragonfly pose? It looks so scary!!!

I want to make some oaties… and kale chips :)

Runeatrepeat November 19, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Love the ketchup smothering. Do you use one with sugar? I use one with organic sugar (just no HFCS). What do you think about this?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Runeatrepeat, I usually use the 365 organic brand, and yes, it contains sugar. Currently using this one sweetened with agave: http://www.shoporganic.com/product/organicville-organic-ketchup-sugar-free/ketchup_mayonnaise_mustard. However, it’s still a simple sugar. Why is sugar so good mixed with tomato paste?!? I’ve tried unsweetened ketchup. Um, no thanks.

eaternotarunner November 19, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I think your kale chips + ketchup look awesome!

gina (fitnessista) November 19, 2009 at 7:34 pm

OATIES! they look amazing!
i totally thought that pic was you rocking the yoga pose- i wouldn’t be surprised :)
hope you’re having a great night!
xoxo

Jenny November 19, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I attempted dragonfly post but once and I’m pretty sure I broke my tailbone in 5 places. I guess I’m not ready to fly just yet ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 19, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Hey Heather, Titibasana really isnt that hard; it’s about sweet spot. Hook your legs as close to your groin and as high up over your shoulder as you can so that you have the best leverage possible. Find your bandahs, and fly fly away :) Email me with your needs, for real, where and when are you failing? I can probably troubleshoot you if you’d need any help :)

And of course, your oaties look fly fly away into my tummy kinda delish :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Averie, I’m just working on getting my head to the floor in the straddle position. It’s a miracle I can get my forearms to touch the ground. Working on it. Someday….

Mish November 19, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I just ate my screen. OMG..looks amazing

wendy November 19, 2009 at 8:40 pm

holy moly on that yoga pose! wowsiers!!!!

charlotte November 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Man, why can’t I get my oaties to look that cute when I make them?! The two times I’ve made them, mine come out looking like the business end of a puppy… Still tasty but def. lacking in the presentation;)

Karla November 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Ketchup makes EVERYTHING better! Keep smothering!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Those oaties look delicious! I could totally see you doing that pose someday ;-)

eatmovelove November 19, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Okay – I both love you and hate you (in the nicest way possible :) ) for those maple oaties…I think I just ate 10…with extra nut butter and chocolate…and I have to get up again in about oh 6 hours??? ugh, could someone please push me off the couch please because i think i’m going to have to roll off of it?…

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm

EatMoveLove. Hehe…sorry. ;)

Justine November 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Heabs that bowl of ice cream looks like a pigs nose and the oatie and the nut butter look like eyes and its kinda freaking me out!!! I have been baking cookies all night. YUMMO!

~Justine

Damjana November 20, 2009 at 2:07 am

um..i tried that pose and i can do it. it’s a nice one. still i’m sure you can do it too (i mean i don’t practice yoga any more, and you do).
love

Katy November 20, 2009 at 8:58 am

You said fartleks. Now I have the giggles.

Thank you so much for the #VeganWeek support and shoutout…It’s been a whirlwind week but so much fun!

Chrysta November 20, 2009 at 11:10 am

wow! those oatie cookies look fantastic!

{ 2 trackbacks }