3 Days of Eats Done

by HEAB on November 20, 2009

Dinner with my hubby…

I often get emails asking if CD and I eat the same meals. Well, here is a perfect example of a typical dinner at our house. CD had Brussels sprouts, onions, and mushrooms stir-fried in coconut oil and topped with a hamburger and Parmesan cheese. He also ate most…OK all of the carrot fries, but I made them especially for him. I fixed myself a big bowl of hamburger noodle casserole. :)

My “casserole” consisted of spiralized yellow squash noodles with steamed broccoli, yellow bell pepper, and beef covered in cashew cheeze sauce. Although I don’t eat beef often, sometimes I just crave a good burger. However, I will only eat grass fed finished beef that we buy from a local farm. In fact, I’m going to my favorite farmers market to pick up our 20 pound order tomorrow. We buy in bulk since the farmers only come to Nashville twice a month, and CD loves his beef!

Dessert? I’ll give you one guess…

Chocolate protein ice-cream in the almond butter jar.

So, that’s it folks. I have shared with you every single morsel of food that crossed my lips over the past 3 days. The only thing I forgot to take a picture of was some afternoon coffee both yesterday and today. I alternate between decaf and caffeinated, but I really want to get back to drinking mostly decaf. I think I’ll start Monday. ;)

I forgot to mention my Katie inspired meal of the day. It was definitely not breakfast or dinner, but I think she would have approved of my kabocha filled lunch. :)

So, I would love to hear your thoughts. Did you enjoy my 3 posts a day, or did you find it to be overwhelming? I’ll be honest, I had fun sharing everything with you. Again, I always think my food is weird and not very pretty, but it makes me happy. I normally eat 3 good sized meals a day, and I rarely snack. If I know I’m going to be working late, I’ll usually have an afternoon smoothie to tide me over until dinner. I’ve tried doing 4 to 5 smaller meals throughout the day without much success. I like to be satiated and full. Otherwise, all I’ll think about is my next meal. Small snacks and such throughout the day never did much for me. My belly loves my big bowls jars of food.

OK, off to veg with CD. Happy weekend my friends!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 20, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Am I the first comment? No way!

I enjoyed the recap of the eats. Not sure if you’d want to do it all the time though- time suck! Yummo on the ice cream :-)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 20, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I loved seeing your eats! If you decide to keep it up that would be awesome, but I’ll always enjoy reading your blog even if you don’t ;-) Have a good night!

Sarah November 20, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I loved it!
I have a question for you! How much nut butter would you say you go through in a week? I am just tearing through these jars…

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Sarah, Not sure as I have several jars on hand at all times. Probably at least 1jar a week.

Evan Thomas November 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I don’t eat beef often, either, but something about that casserole makes me want to dig in

Jess November 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I loved the more postage!! :) Haha, enjoyed seeing your daily eats!

I got my package today! Thanks so much Heather–very excited to try them!
<3 jess
xoxo

starsinthecity November 20, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I loved seeing your eats!

Elina November 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I liked seeing your 3 days of food. You do eat “funky” stuff but it’s fun to see! I like that CD also gets things that he enjoys. I feel like when I cook, I almost always tailor to my husband’s taste because I don’t want to cook 2 separate things. Love the blog!! :)

emily November 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm

i noticed you do not really snack between meals. how do you get yourself to not snack? i am constantly snacking, i just need to chew, and i would prefer if i didnt.
emily

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Emily, Habit I guess. My meals usually fill me up, and I’m good to go for at least a few hours. If smaller meals work for you then you should stick with it. I’ve just never been much of a grazer myself. I know lot of folks like to chew gum between meals. Perhaps you could try that.

homecookedem November 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I love seeing your fun style of eating!! I do not think “weird” is the right word to describe it, btw. I think healthy, intriguing, creative, and unique might be better adjectives. Thanks for sharing your meals!! I am definitely a snack person. I eat breakfast, lunch, snack, sometimes another snack, dinner, and then a snack/dessert.

Enjoy your evening with your hubby! :)

Dee November 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm

You are a unique eater, but really good stuff here and so healthy. How do you spiralize your vegetables?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:42 am

Oh my gosh Dee, I LOVE my spiralizer. Won this model from Gena over at Choosing Raw: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-Tri-Blade-Plastic-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1250527442&sr=8-1. Use it almost everyday!

candice November 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I haven’t had a burger in too long… your dinner has gotten me a-cravin’. ;) Ice cream in an almond butter jar sounds heavenly!

caronae November 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I loved seeing all your creative meals. They’re inspirational (to get my butt in the kitchen and come up with interesting new combinations)!

Katie November 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Loved seeing all your eats. In fact, I am getting up right now to puree the last of my kabocha squash with peanut butter because of your lunch today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:42 am

Katie, How was your pureed squash?

Sweet Cheeks November 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Heather, I have loved your 3 a day posts! I adore all the interesting things you eat…and if they are “weird” then I WANT to be weird, too! haha. :)

P.S. I think I’m going to try that cashew cheeze recipe tomorrow! Sounds great!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I think you’re the most honest eater I’ve come across in the blog world. I don’t mean that I think other bloggers are necessarily “lying” about what they ate (I will trust the photo evidence), I mean that I can sometimes tell when people pick certain foods and/or presentations for the blog’s sake (I am guilty of this on multiple accounts). I enjoyed looking through your 3 full days’ worth of meals because I didn’t get the feeling like you were frontin’, if you know what I mean, haha. You’re a trendsetter, not a follower, and that’s one of the things that makes your blog great. So of course your eats are going to look a little “weird” (your word, not mine!) to me at first, but if that helps me think outside the box and/or try something new, I’ll take it!

High five.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:43 am

Thanks Diana. :)

threehannas November 20, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Your blog was one of the first ones that I started reading and I love it!! The 3 a day posts are fun to read but I don’t think it takes away from the blog when you post less often, by any means.

I will also say that I visit your blog for things besides the food. I love to hear about your experience with yoga & other movement. It is inspiring!

I have to agree with Diana – your blog is honest, it stands out. Love it.

Jess

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:45 am

Thanks threehannas. I might post more than once a day on occasion, but I think I prefer it to 3 times a day. Thanks again for the input and for reading. :)

~Jessica~ November 21, 2009 at 3:41 am

I am in total agreement with Diana: part of what makes your blog so fantastic is it’s origninality and your refusal to adhere to blogging ‘trends’. You’re always so honest and true to yourself in every respect, and that includes the food. You’re a leader and not a follower, and that is something I admire hugely. As I said before, ‘weird’ is a subjective term and personally I find most of society’s habits around food strange. You eat according to what you like, crave and keeps your body happy. Nothing could (or should) be more ‘normal’ than that.

I loved the 3 posts a day and would happily see the blog continue in this format, but only if it’s something you enjoy and does not become a chore or puts huge amounts of pressure on your time.

xoxo

VeggieGirl November 21, 2009 at 6:09 am

You know what I say, girl – just post if you want to :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 21, 2009 at 6:35 am

Of COURSE I loved seeing your eats. In fact, if you published a “what heather eats in a year” book, I’d probably buy it.

And now that I’ve let my creepiness be known, I will end this comment ;)

prettyladycmu November 21, 2009 at 7:26 am

I really appreciate that you make no excuses or apologies for any of your food choices. You also don’t push your food choices on other people (CD included!). You are an excellent example of what a good food blogger should be and I love reading!

cookingincambridge November 21, 2009 at 7:52 am

It was so interesting seeing what you eat! My food is rarely pretty, so it’s nice to know I’m not the only one ;) And you inspire me to try new things!

Jessica November 21, 2009 at 7:59 am

Fun eats! Question about yoga – best way to start it? what kind is best? I am doing the entire yoga portion of the Wii Fit a couple times a week but would really like to get more into it . . .

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 8:32 am

Jessica, I love the Wii Fit (CD, are you reading this?!?) [?]

My first recommendation is to find a good studio in your area. I did not fall in love with my practice until I started going to a studio. The yoga classes offered at my gym never did much for me. The teachers were good for the most part, but yoga in a big cold aerobics room is not ideal. Also, it is so important to learn correct form in the beginning, and I love going to smaller classes where the instructor can pay attention to each student and adjust them. Most studios offer beginner level classes. However, they can be pretty pricey. Below are several great at-home options:

For DVD’s, I really like Polly’s DVD, and I have some of the Sarah Ivanhoe DVD’s as well. They are all great. I also like finding free yoga online:

– Polly has some great online videos perfect for beginners. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you. – Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts! – I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga -sequence/. – Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://www.yogatothepeople.com/tryOnlineClass.shtml – You can try tons of free 20 minute classes over at http://www.yogadownload.com, one of my favorite yoga websites. Love all their classes!

organicashley November 21, 2009 at 9:13 am

I love reading about the way you eat Heather. I think it is great that you are very open about eating meat. I feel like there is so much pressure to be vegan in the blog world but you hold your ground and do whats right for you. I am experimenting with bringing foods like meat and eggs back into my diet and I doing fine with it. But I never thought I’d say that a month or so ago.

Shelby November 21, 2009 at 10:24 am

Your dinner sounds GREAT! Yum!

Jessica November 21, 2009 at 11:04 am

Thanks! Once my computer is upgraded to handle video I’ll be trying those downloads for sure!!

Lara (Thinspired) November 23, 2009 at 4:15 am

I’m just making my way though the rest of your regular eats, but I already know that I need to eat more like you. You truly do have a plant-based diet!
I hope to buy more grass-fed beef when we get settled next year–I seem to remember Trader Joe’s carries it for pretty cheap? I guess local is even better though. If I could switch our household to all organic, grass-fed beef, I would consider that a success for 2010 :)

Marissa November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

You are so NOT alone in your weird eats. Your food bears a striking resemblance to what I eat on a daily basis (which is why I generally don’t put it up on my blog ;-) )

I call a lot of my concoctions “Mash”

as in….pumpkin mash, broccoli mash, banana quinoa mash…

{ 2 trackbacks }