My Current Favorite Lunch

by HEAB on November 20, 2009

After a busy morning at the office, I present to you my lunch.

As far as meals go, this is a 100% typical HEAB breakfast, lunch, and or dinner. I finally restocked my kabocha squash supply yesterday, and popped a big mama one in a 275° oven at 5:30 AM this morning. When I got home from yoga around 7:30, she was slow roasted to perfection. After scooping out the seeds, I wrapped that baby up in foil to eat later for lunch. When I got home, I pureed half the squash with 1 scoop Sun Warrior vanilla rice protein powder, 1 TBSP maca, and cinnamon. There was more than enough to fill the jar, and I ate what was leftover straight from the food processor. I find that pureed squash is much more filling than squash fries. Weird. On a side note, this is my favorite Sunbutter as it contains nothing but roasted sunflower seeds. I used to think it was so plain and preferred the one with added sugar and salt. However, after trying the sweetened/salted version again yesterday, I realized that I like my sunflower seeds straight up. To all sweet nut butter lovers out there, try the ones without added sugar a few times. You’ll start to notice and appreciate that rich nutty flavor all on its own. So good!

Some of you have asked how I can possibly eat out of empty nut butter jars so often. It’s because I keep a lot of empty glass jars on hand, and transfer from jar to jar. Poor Chris never knows what kind of nut butter he might be dipping into. I really should start making labels. :)

I am so excited about having no plans tonight as I feel like I’ve been on the go for the last 72 hours. Tonight, it’s me, CD, the pups, and the TV. Can’t wait!

VeggieGirl November 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm

So THIS is the concoction that you came up with after our phone call – love it! :-D

Enjoy your t.v./family night!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Would have been MUCH better in an almost empty jar of Artisana Coconut Butter…one that hadn’t been over-nuked in the microwave anyway. ;)

brandi November 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm

dang, I’m sad all my stores are out of kabocha already, or have just quit selling it.

i haven’t tried the sunbutter.

Happy Friday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Brandi, I hear the harvesting season is almost over. I wish you had an Asian Mkt near you, but I’m thinking not with the lack of stoplights in your town. ;) Let me know if you can’t find the Sunbutter near you, K? Happy weekend!

The Foodie Diaries November 20, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I love unsweetened nut butters so much better! And agreed that pureed squash is more filling? I wonder why.

Betherann November 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I wonder if pureed squash is more filling than plain roasted squash because of the processing. I would imagine that pureeing the squash puffs it up (for lack of a better term) — kind of like carbonated water makes you feel more full than regular water, with the “puffed up” air bubbles taking up extra space in your belly.

I don’t know what I’m talking about, really, but it makes sense to me. :) I’ve never tried kabocha — I’ll have to one of these days!

Btw, I received the stevia prize pack — thank you!! I’m waiting until the weekend to bust into it (and, of course, blog about it). Thank you again!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Betherann, Your pureeing theory makes total sense to me. Enjoy your stevia. :)

Liz November 20, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I find Sunbutter @ Super Target of all places. I am on a Better n’ Peanut butter kick though. You can’t beat the fat content in it vs. all the other butters. I may need to branch out soon. That Lunch looks yummmyummy!

charlotte November 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Have a great and relaxing weekend! Sounds like you got it off to a good start with your yoga class:)

Amisha November 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm

It makes sense…like cooked oatmeal is more filling for me than home made granola. I think it’s the water that adds bulk and when you bake something until crispy it takes a lot of the moisture out of the product.

And you beat me to it! I was just about to comment on how much nut butter you must go through to have an empty bottle to eat out of every other day.

RunToTheFinish November 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm

oh i like this idea. i am alawys finding new things to eat here and I like that I don’t have to feel a crazy gourmet, just good food

Haylee November 20, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I just wanted to say that I love love your blog, I think you love Kabocha just as much as me! I could eat it every single day for the rest of my life!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Haylee, Anyone who could eat kabocha everyday holds a special place in my heart. Thanks for reading. :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I love Sun Butter! I haven’t had any in a while but I might have to grab some soon. I prefer the nutty to the sweet of all the nut butters :)

Riss November 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I have GOT to try pureeing my winter squash with protein powder. I’ll put PP in ANYTHING, but I’ve never thought of sqaush before! YUM YUM!

And I totally get the weirdness of the same amount of food being more filling based on how it’s prepared. I always feel like I get more when I eat my smoothie with a spoon, rather than slurp it up with a straw!

~Jessica~ November 20, 2009 at 3:31 pm

That looks like the most wonderful Brunner (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) in the history of humanity. If I could somehow get hold of some Sun Warrior, I don’t think I’d ever eat anything else…well, maybe a banana or two ;)

You are a culinary genius, no question. I can’t believe you think your food is weird…to me it’s just inspired. If Heston Blumenthal (pioneering British chef) had listened when someone told him his creations were weird, he wouldn’t be the multimillionaire he is now!

Have a wonderful week-end

xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Jessica. :)

Lori November 20, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Looks delicious!!! I need my own little stash of kabocha!!!

sisrocks1996 November 20, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Happy birthday to Boo! I just bought my first kabocha nervous to try, but it was on sale so I’m going to crack into that baby here soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Sisrocks, Congrats on your first kabocha. Please let me know what you think!

missyrayn November 20, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I agree on the squash puree. Fries are good but there is just something about the puree.

Heather November 20, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Happy birthday to Radley! Love that you named your dog after a character from To Kill a Mockingbird! She’s so cute.

You have officially got me hooked on kabocha! I can find it at Publix now too which makes me happy.

dawn November 20, 2009 at 4:32 pm

it’s gross how many sunflower seeds I eat. love them. never tried the butter. is it just as good as the seeds? I’m tempted to try.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Dawn, The butta is betta. :)

candice November 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm

You know, I have to try an HEAB-styled meal one day, even if it’s just once. This looks weird, but it sounds soooo good. :P I’m eager to try unsalted/un-sugared sunflower seed butter, too–just to experience that delicious roastiness sunflower seeds have! <3

coconutbutter November 20, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I have to try sunflower butter, I love the seeds. Heather, your comment about the Artisana coconut butter was right too, I think squash fries are good with coconut butter or any nut butter :)

eaternotarunner November 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm

That looks so good! I have to try squash + nut butter, looks like an amazing combo :-)

homecookedem November 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm

HEAB, you would have loved our wedding favors – our flowers were sunflowers and so we put sunflower seeds in the favors for our guests to take! We also added in personalized M&Ms to make a kind of trail mix. We had so many leftover favors that I ate sunflower seeds everyday for the next month!! :) I’ve never seen that exact kind of sunbutter, but if I do, I’m definitely picking it up!! :)

Thanks for answering my question about all of your nut butter jars!! So that’s how ya do it, huh?? I’ll have to remember that for my own nut butter jars!!

Happy Friday!! :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) November 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Enjoy your night HEABIE!!

I find that sunbutter is naturally sweet. I don’t understand why b/c I don’t feel that sunflower seeds are sweet, but their love-juice sure is! :-)

Meredith November 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I love that sun butter too!!! It’s fantastic :)
Have a great weekend!

plamarie November 20, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I love the kabocha too! I used some leftovers and made “pumpkin” cookies. Where do I find sunbutter?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Plamarie, The only place I can find the unsweetened Sunbutter is at Whole Foods. I think I’m going to try making my own next time.

Holly November 20, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I WONDERED how you had so many jars! Sunbutter is my absolute favorite- I even like it more than almond butter! gasp! Once, I received about 50 sample packets of it and it took all of my willpower not to eat them all in one sitting! I’ll have to try some kabocha next time. :)

Cyn Marie November 20, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I totally agree on the nut butter without added sugar or salt. Never would have believed that until I tried the raw crunchy almond butter! sooo good! I hear ya on the night in. I think I have an early night in store.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 20, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Heather do you prefer that exact sunflower seed butter, i.e Sunbutter, vs. say TJ’s house brand of Sunflower Butter (with the blue label/yellow flower on it)? I have never bought the brand you are showing, only TJ’s brand. And I have to say, I love it. I dont wanna mess with a good thing and I clearly adore sweets (more than you) so perhaps I’ve already found the brand of sunflower seed butter that is best for me, but am always open to trying new brands. If you have time, just LMK :) If not, no worries :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Averie, TJ’s adds sugar to their Sunbutter. That’s why I don’t buy it. You would probably really like the sweetened Sunbutter, but TJ’s is cheaper. Why mess with a good thing if you’re happy, right? :)

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 20, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Oh you are a big eater of kabocha as well?!! it’s very interesting to have lunch from a jar! !

Nicole November 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Heather–
To make homemade sunbutter, do you just take sunflower seeds and grate them in the food processor? with olive oil? I have a whole bag of them that I haven’t figured out what to do with. I figured this would be a good way to use them up.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 20, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Nicole, I’ve never made homemade Sunbutter, but I want to try soon. I plan to roast the seeds in the oven, and then process them in the food processor like I do my homemade almond butter. I’m hoping I won’t need to add any oil. Let me know if you try it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 21, 2009 at 1:10 am

Thanks for the reply Heather about the sugar in the TJ’s brand. I don’t care..ha! I’m sure if I opened the fridge and looked on my jar, this would be apparent to me. Ahhh…that’s why I love it, fat + sugar = tasty.

Making Sunflower Butter…do as you wish, but…I have always thought when making a nut butter that you’d want really creamy that you’d soak the seeds, then process. Rather than roast, then process. A friend of mine ironically just emailed me an hour ago to tell me she’s a soaker not a roaster and she makes her own sunbutter. So if you try it, can’t wait to see what you come up with. I guess I should try it too…huh. But I love that TJ’s stuff…it’s one thing I don’t actually make from the ground up. I am weak, I use storebought sunbutter.

Maggie November 21, 2009 at 6:53 am

I think pureed or steamed is way more filling than fried too.

livingfreeforever November 21, 2009 at 7:32 am

That is my favorite brand of Sunbutter too. And I also prefer the unsweetened. After I had been eating the unsweetened for a while and then I tasted the sweetened, I thought it was too sweet. I just wish it weren’t so expensive!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:39 am

LivingFree, I know, it’s almost $7/jar at Whole Foods. I’m going to try making my own as raw sunflower seeds are so cheap.

DouglasH November 21, 2009 at 11:42 am

Heather,

When you puree do you always add the protein?? I would think that would make a significant addition to the Fullness factor.

Douglas

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Douglas, I usually do add the protein powder when I puree, and I agree – definitely adds to the fullness factor. Eating some right now. :)

erintakescontrol November 21, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I love sunbutter, but I make my own, as I’ve never found a brand which I enjoy as much as my homemade stuff. It takes for-ev-er, and my processor is tiny, but it’s sooo worth the time. I usually add just a drizzle of oil towards the end. I like it to be crunchy yet smooth enough that I can spread it on my toast. If you like it crumbly, you probably wouldn’t need the oil. I don’t like olive oil in mine, because I think it just ends up tasting like crunchy olive oil. :-(

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Erin, I’ve been wanting to try making my own. Will probably try it this week, and I love the idea of a little crunch. :)

glidingcalm November 22, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I def prefer unsweeteened nut butter for the reg. ,but sweetened can be yummy once in a while! It’s funny- I was eating TJ’s unsalted pb for everrrrrrrrr, but all my parents have at home are HUGE costco sized tubs of Adams (salted)….so though I first disliked the salty taste, I now am used it and and love it mixed with crunchy smooth pb! I’m sure I could go back though with some desenitization!

HUGS TO YOU!