Taco Bell Inspired

by HEAB on November 21, 2009

I used to love those cinnamon tostitos at Taco Bell. I tried to google them, but I guess now the restaurant serves cinnamon twists? When did they switch? It’s been a while since I’ve been there. ;)

Anyway, after reader Vegaholic sent me her recipe for kabocha ice-cream, I knew it would make the perfect breakfast. It did, but I figured the ice-cream alone wouldn’t leave me 100% satisfied. So, I made some cinnamon chips for a little crunchy dipping action.

For my chips (thanks for the idea Carolyn), I spread 1 tsp coconut oil on a La Tortilla Factory tortilla, sprinkled cinnamon and stevia on it, and placed it in a 425° oven until crispy. For the ice-cream, I followed Vegaholic’s recipe, but tweaked it just a bit based on the ingredients I had on hand. My substitutions are in parenthesis. Into the Vita-Mix went the following:

1/2c. baked kabocha squash, skin on or off
1/4c. light coconut milk (So Delicious plain coconut milk kefir)
1/4c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (unsweetened rice milk)
1/2 frozen banana
1-2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/4 t. ground ginger
dash salt
1/8-1/4 t. xanthan gum (+ 1/4 tsp guar gum)
1/2 t. vanilla
1 packet stevia (1 scoop Sun Warrior vanilla rice protein powder)
4 ice cubes

Thanks Vegaholic! You were right, I did proceed to eat the whole batch, and could have easily eaten several more.

Back in my running days, I used to take 1 to 2 days off a week from exercise and NEVER felt guilty about it. My rest days were always something to look forward to, but now that I only walk or do yoga, I’ve gotten into this mindset that since I don’t workout as hard most days of the week, that I should be doing something everyday. I don’t like it that I feel guilty if I take a day off, and so I’m putting this out there for all the world to read. I am NOT going to exercise today, Saturday, November 21. OK, now that I’ve shared that with everyone, I’m off to the farmers market. Have a wonderful day!

kbwood November 21, 2009 at 9:14 am

that looks SO great! seriously girl, genious!

VeggieGirl November 21, 2009 at 9:16 am

What a fun new recipe!

christina November 21, 2009 at 9:18 am

Yay for NOT feeling guilty! Its nice to take a day off here and there!

Nicole November 21, 2009 at 9:24 am

Ice cream for breakfast! I need to get a Vita-Mix pronto.

As for taking days off–I feel you on that guilt. It’s hard when you don’t feel like you’re doing something. However, in my eyes, giving a massage is a workout!! Even doing things like cleaning and walking the dogs (and walking around the farmer’s market) is doing something. It might not be that sweat session you enjoy but it’s something. That being said, you are more than entitled to a day off during the week! Why are we so hard on ourselves? Go buy something yummy!!

Jessica November 21, 2009 at 9:25 am

Ice cream for breakfast, that is my kind of thinking! Looks yummy. Enjoy your day off : )
Jess

Evan Thomas November 21, 2009 at 9:25 am

Have fun not excercising. Everyone deserves a day off sometime, one way or another

Jes November 21, 2009 at 9:29 am

Oh My Goodness! :) My husband loves taco bell, but I bet he’d go for that anyday! (as long as he tries it first before discovering it is made with squash) :) We’d have to find a different substitute for the Kabocha since we can’t find it by us. :(

Enjoy your day, Heather, doing whatever feels right! :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 21, 2009 at 9:31 am

You GO, miss Heather! You DESERVE to give yourself a rest day! Seriously, when you’re old and looking back on your life, you won’t regret not having exercised every single day… but you might regret not enjoying life more ;)

The Foodie Diaries November 21, 2009 at 9:32 am

brilliant!! and i looooved those taco bell cinnamon thangs, too!!

coco November 21, 2009 at 9:39 am

I feel the same way Heather, that since I don’t do rigurous workout anymore (well… just a little bit to de-stress this week) I feel the need to do something everyday, either 20 min yoga or 20 min walk. Feeling guilty if I don’t? not too much, but my body needs it. But if I ever feel guilty, I’ll do exactly what you’re doing, take a day off! :)

Carbzilla November 21, 2009 at 9:54 am

Okay, I’ll exercise for you! How’s that? That will actually get me off my butt (I’m motivated by others more than myself, what can I say?).

Can’t wait to try the Kabocha ice cream. I’m feeling like a Breakfast Cookie myself.

Enjoy the Farmer’s Market! Can’t wait to see what you come back with.

justrun November 21, 2009 at 10:04 am

Anything cinnamon has my vote!

And, yes, enjoy your guilt-free rest day, by all means!

leslie November 21, 2009 at 10:09 am

“all” i do is yoga and walking as well – and i take 2 rest days every week. think of it as time for muscle repair. :) also, i don’t think we should look at it as “only” doing yoga (i am totally guilty of that thinking too), but as choosing to dedicate ourselves fully to one type of exercise. i struggle with feeling like i’m not doing enough in a cardio and gym loving world – until i think of how great i feel on my yoga mat.

have a great day off, heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

What an encouraging comment. Thanks Leslie!

calmkindpeace November 21, 2009 at 10:09 am

Hey there, …it could be worse…you might not have been exercising for a year and quite the ways to go :( So you are light-years ahead of the game. Cute breakfast, but for me it would be real store-bought ice cream (cookie dough?), and more bread, …and more nut butter…and more bananas….and more…and more …and more….oh my :(

courtney November 21, 2009 at 10:15 am

I feel the same way sometimes. Twenty minutes doesn’t sound like enough and I have to fight to rationalize that I am not going to puff up if I don’t tear myself apart with an hour long workout everyday. You are not alone! I just try to distract myself with an episode of The Office (or Glee, Community, Family Guy, etc) and enjoy a good laugh with my husband, who has never felt guilty about not working out! Ha! Enjoy your rest days……you deserve it!

Abby November 21, 2009 at 10:17 am

Awesome recipe.. I used to LOVE those as well from Taco Bell. My mom would buy them as a special treat after school.. wow, how times have changed. lol

Have a great weekend.. enjoy and relax :)

maggie November 21, 2009 at 10:25 am

I’m so making kabocha ice cream today!! I love using the banana kind to top off my pancakes or oatmeal. Love your breakfast…your such a inspiration!

Maggie

Shelby November 21, 2009 at 10:29 am

AMAZING recipe! I’m bookmarking this for sure!

Ohhh I used to love those cinnamon twists! But then again, anything covered in cinnamon is gold!

Erica November 21, 2009 at 10:36 am

What a breakfast! I love that cinnamony sugar combo. I occasionally get the exercise guilt feeling too. I took yesterday off because I needed it and kept thinking about sneaking in a short run. Give my crazy day today, I am MORE than happy I took yesterday off! Enjoy the farmers market

Sandy November 21, 2009 at 10:38 am

I struggle with taking a day off too. Even when I was running I felt like I had to get out every day. Now I only walk and do yoga but never feel that I really “work out” so I don’t deserve a rest day.

Katie November 21, 2009 at 10:39 am

Wow, that looks yummy!

I love using La Tortilla Factory Tortillas for sweet things – nice added fiber!

Where do you get your xantham and guar gums? Do they taste at all funky? I like the idea of bulking up some recipes but I have never used them!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Katie, I buy my xanthan gum from our local grocery store (Kroger). Whole Foods sells it as well. Can’t find guar gum in Nashville, but I received a bag of the Bob’s Red Mill brand from a blogger friend. (Smoothie Girl Deb). You can find them both online here: http://www.bobsredmill.com. They go not taste at all, and I love how thick and creamy they make everything. In fact, Deb did a great post on the gums here: http://smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-i-use-xanthan-and-guar-gums-in-my.html

Dawn November 21, 2009 at 10:53 am

Dear Heather,
If you posted ten times a day that would not be too much~ you are such a great
writer and so interesting to see in action. I think it is a great idea for you to take
a day off, even a whole week, when you feel the urge. Love your food choices, including the grass fed beef. Life is always good when Heather is on my bookmarks toolbar.

have a great day.
xod

Sweet Cheeks November 21, 2009 at 11:11 am

Mmmmm, looks like a great way to start off the weekend, eh?

eaternotarunner November 21, 2009 at 11:15 am

Days off are definitely important! And those cinnamon chips look awesome ;-)

Jenny November 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

yo quiero!

homecookedem November 21, 2009 at 11:52 am

I love la tortilla factory wraps!! I eat them every. single. day. with my lunch!! :)

I took 2 rest days this week and totally know what you mean. It feels a little guilty, but there is no reason for that! Enjoy your day off from exercising without any guilt!! :)

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 21, 2009 at 12:03 pm

that’s a great way to eat tortilla! I like it crunchy :-) sometimes I have it for my pizza, even better than the thin crust!

For workout….it’s getting cold these days, and really hard for me to go to gym in dark… so sometimes I take a quick walk around the campus, or take a day or two off , just relax. I think it’s alright as long as we are not take the whole week off:-)

Amanda November 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Enjoy your day!! It’s great to give yourself permission to just RELAX a day or two a week!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I have a post in my queue about my obsession with this lavash bread that I buy in from Florida that is much like La Tortilla low carb bread that you are using. My go-to snack was always: wet it, sprinkle splenda (back then), tons tons tons of cinnamon and then bake/toast. Then I’d spread Fage on top (you could do something else or just dip as you did). Funny, nearly the same exact thing

BTW yoga may not burn as many cals as “cardio” but it is intense strength training- with 135 pounds of Heather! So don’t feel guilty. Plus you and I both know that we’d have to walk to each others’ houses just to burn off some of the stuff we eat (correction: I eat), so it’s not just about “burning” cals. :-)

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Deb, Make that 140 pounds of Heather. ;)

Mama Pea November 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

YUM!!! Now can you come up with something to sub for the Pintos and Cheese? Actually, maybe I’ll just swipe some sauce packets…that was my favorite part anyway.

Amy November 21, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Amazing recipe + amazing mindset for your day of rest. I struggle with the same thing…so many of us do. But what I try to remind myself is that “rest” is NOT equivalent to “lazy” or “inactive” or “unhealthy”. You are great Heather <3 Enjoy the day!

emily November 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm

wow I used to get tbell cinnastix all the time when I was little (I am 22 now so maybe like 10-15 years ago). My sister and I LOVED them.

polly November 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Love you, peach. You are BEAUTIFUL and STRONG. A day off in your life is a normal person’s active day. :D No worries, lovie. Eat lots. Sleep lots. Hugs. XOXO

Stephanie (Surviving Chicago) November 21, 2009 at 2:39 pm

you must not have visited Taco Bell in a LONG time…I was once a frequent visitor…and 12 years ago I was ordering cinnamon twists! :) Cinnamon tostitos sound good, too!

Erin November 21, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading your three meals a day Heaber! Those chips look so good!

I always enjoy hearing about your thoughts on exercise, rest days, etc. You seem to have such a well balanced idea of resting and listening to what your body needs, and what you need mentally too. It’s nice to read about the path that exercise/working out has taken you on, and it reminds me that even those with super human yoga strength need a break ;)

I keep thinking about you while eating my almond butter this week – the raw AB is SO much better than store bought! I may never go back!

coconutbutter November 21, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Tortilla bread and ice cream sound nice Heather. It really is too bad you cannot enjoy the ice cream in-store. There are so many fall flavors with vanilla, maple, caramel-chocolate.
I am thinking that if you ever need a quick garlic bread you can rub olive oil and garlic on tortillas also?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Coconutbutter, I do occasionally buy the coconut milk ice-cream, but I my body can’t handle much sugar beyond that.

Yes, garlic bread tortillas. I’ve done that before, and it’s so good!

candice November 21, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Most perfect breakfast ever?! Kabocha? Ice cream? Cinnamon chips?!

Heather, you are a freaking genius.

Carolyn November 21, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Have you ever checked at your Whole Foods for the Guar over in the vitamin section? I got both the Xanthan ($6.99 for 6 oz) and the Guar ($5.99 for 8 oz) over there at mine, kinda where the stevia drops, protein powders and stuff are. They are both made by NOW and are with that lines other stuff. I do have the same thing where they carry one of them over by Bob’s Red Mill products in food world but we stumbled on this other vitamin world area by accident and we got both…sooo helpful in the smoothies…

Mailman bought me some love today… thanks… :-) dreaming of a fluffier breakfast already…

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Carolyn, Yep, checked the supplement/vitamin section for guar, but the employee I asked was kind of clueless. I’ll have to look again when I run out. Can’t wait to hear about your brekkie tomorrow!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir November 21, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Kabocha ice cream…how creative and fun!

Valerie November 21, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Heather, sometimes I feel a lot of people going vegan around me and self-doubt my choices. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes its okay to eat meat twice a day if I feel like it. I don’t do it everyday, but its good to see examples.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Valerie, You’re welcome. :) You do what’s best for you…don’t forget that. :)

Carrie November 21, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Heather,
I was motivated by you to eat animal products twice in a day (eggs at one meal, 5.5 oz tuna steak at another) and it has not agreed with me at all. I feel very uncomfortably full and not sure that kind of thing will agree with me. Your last comment to “do what’s best for you” to another reader really is true. There is no value in trying to simulate another person’s diet and you have to do what is best for you. Enjoy your eating , it sounds like you are happy with it. I will have to stick to my dairy ice creams and flexitarian regime now that I know better :)

Jess November 21, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Love that taco-bell inspired meal! I haven’t had taco bell in forever!!

<3 jess
xoxo

Emily November 21, 2009 at 6:43 pm

DROOOOLING!

I used to love those things at Taco Bell too! It’s been a while since I last visited, but you’re right…when I last went to taco bell they had the twists..not NEARLY as good!

sisrocks1996 November 21, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Totally making those twists! I LOOOOVED those things up until I realized the calorie count. They are too addictive for their own good pure fried sugar bliss. Your food is always interesting and healthy I love how adventurous you are w/ food.

Scott in Ohio November 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Nice work taking a day off from exercise. I struggle with that also.

Sounds like you have a very cool farmer’s market. Christina and I went to the last one of the season today. I’ll miss it!

Hope you and CD are having a good weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 21, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Scott, I know – so hard for me to just chill for a day. Almost took the dogs on a long walk, but CD took them instead while I stayed at home reading my new cookbook. THANK YOU!!!!

missyrayn November 21, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Those sound Yummy! I remember them from way back :-)

plamarie November 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I’m with you on the day off with no exercise. You will enjoy the next day back so much more! It’s great that way. As for the soft-serve; WOW! Looks yummy. I think I would have to get a vita mix to pull that one off. I don’t think the food processer can pull that one off.

Maggie November 22, 2009 at 6:50 am

That’s how I feel about working out and that’s why I’ve been so anxious (no workouts). Enjoy your off day!

Chelsea Ward November 22, 2009 at 9:32 am

Those tortilla-chip wonder cinnamon things look amazing. Thank you for posting the recipe!

Tina November 22, 2009 at 11:05 am

Taking a day off is great. Everyone deserves it :)

gina (fitnessista) November 22, 2009 at 11:32 am

you = genius
so glad you took a day off- even with lower intensity exercise, we still need a break at least once a week!
have a happy sunday my friend <3

glidingcalm November 22, 2009 at 8:55 pm

kabocha ice cream?! that is genius!!! i recently had my 2nd kabocha, and I think of you, Mama Pea, Maggie, and Gina ALL THE TIME. squashhhhhhhhh lovers!!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 23, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I count grocery shopping as exercise :) And cleaning too!

{ 1 trackback }