Thanksgiving Comes To An End

by HEAB on November 26, 2009

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Just a quick recap before I go to bed.

After my morning race and oat bran, CD and I took the pups for a walk around the neighborhood, and then came home to get ready for our annual Thanksgiving potluck. We weren’t going to be eating until 2, and so I had a protein smoothie around noon. I used to starve myself all day on Thanksgiving and Christmas and then stuff myself silly when it came time for the big holiday meal. That was dumb. Now I eat normally, and just treat the big meal as a late lunch.

The spread (part of it anyway)…

This does not include the salad or other veggies…or the entire dessert TABLE. I fixed a plate of salad, roasted Brussels sprouts, turkey, cornbread pudding, green bean casserole, and some stuffing. Rather than focus on the food, I focused on my friends and family instead.

Me & CD.

Me and my girls.

Me and my papa. Everyone thinks my dad looks like the Dos Equis Beer commercial guy. Stay thirsty my friends. ;)

Yes, I never took my scarf off all day. Wear it constantly during the winter months. :)

I skipped the dessert table altogether, opting for more sausage cranberry stuffing instead. I love stuffing. Honestly, I don’t fear the holidays like so many others. I know that if I eat a typical breakfast + a snack that day, I won’t go crazy when it comes to the main meal. Of course I’m sure I took in more calories today than normal, but it will all balance out in the end. Again, it’s my time with others that matters most. Life is too short to worry about how much pumpkin pie (or stuffing) I might eat, right?

Hope everyone enjoyed their day as much as I did! We have so much to be thankful for, no? Good night.

Mish November 26, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I love your outlook on thanksgiving. To be honest I am tired of reading how everyone can avoid this and that. It’s about family. It’s about enjoying the day and it’s about exercising moderation. Thanks for that Heather. It looks like you had a fab day.

Erica November 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm

What a fabulous day :) The food looks yummy. I ran outside this morning- little cold but so refreshing :) I did fresh fruits with cool whip for dessert tonight=yum! Can’t wait to see ya on Saturday!!

candice November 26, 2009 at 11:00 pm

That’s a colorful, amazing spread of good food, but you’re absolutely right—the heart of Thanksgiving still lies within the company. Food is just something that happens to bring people together. :) I’m glad you ate normally and listened to your cravings! There’s really no need to fear the holidays… that kind of contradicts the whole point of holidays, doesn’t it? Holidays = happiness and no worries :)

Mama Pea November 27, 2009 at 12:50 am

Now THAT is a spread. I love that you focused on your family instead of food. That’s what it is ALL about! Love you, girl!

Carbzilla November 27, 2009 at 1:47 am

Hilarious – your dad TOTALLY looks like (a waaayy less skeevy version of) the Dos Equis guy!

Looks like you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I’ll post ours, but we had scampi and caesar salad…and then had stuffing and mashed potatoes. Totally weird but we’re adults in our own house, and we can eat what we want to, right?

I did have two helpings of dessert (omg, don’t go NEAR the pumpkin marscapone bread pudding at Costco. Consider that a friendly warning) and figure that will just guilt me into going to spin on Sunday.

I thought of you and Averie during my yoga class this morning. You two have really kept me inspired to do it, and I’ve NEVER done any class, turkey trot or anything, on Thanksgiving before! So thanks for that. Namaste.

Carolyn November 27, 2009 at 5:44 am

I lerve sausage stuffing! Grew up on it… Talk about something that makes the house smell good!!

That Dos Equis commercial is my favorite on TV right now.. Such a smart arse commercial “He lives vicariously, thru himself”… hehehehe and your Dad DOES look just like the DE guy!!!

“Stay hungry my friends” ;-) …That would be my blog title, if i had one.. but meant in a good way!

VeggieGirl November 27, 2009 at 6:26 am

Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) November 27, 2009 at 6:29 am

Glad your day was wonderful! I felt the same way…surprisingly. No focus on food. No fear. Just enjoying the family time and all the wonderful people around me. What a difference =) I used to do the same thing…don’t eat all day, then wait til the big bang, err, meal. Your right…that WAS stupid!!

Glad we’re on the same page =) Happy Holidays, H!

Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn November 27, 2009 at 6:39 am

What a spread! Looks like you had a great one Heather. I skipped dessert also and headed back for more sweet potato pie.. which technically is dessert, isn’t it ;)

coconutbutter November 27, 2009 at 7:31 am

Exactly Heather. Just eat, and forget about the nonsense and enjoy your friends, the music, all you are thankful for ! You should never skip meals of course, and over-eating or over-indulging really aren’t abnormal – it happens, we move on. I would tripled up on both the meal and the dessert table…(I hate it when some people skip on less dinner to “save” for dessert OR vice versa)…just eat and stop thinking so hard sometimes I say :) Nothing is ever right or good enough so we all may as well just get over all the silly hang-ups and chill a bit.

homecookedem November 27, 2009 at 8:03 am

Sausage cranberry stuffing sounds great! I had the same exact attitude as you this Thanksgiving. Isn’t it such a relief to be able to not fear Thanksgiving or deprive ourselves leading up to holidays?! It sure does help take pressure off ourselves and focus on what really matters – family and friends!! :)

Glad you had a nice day! Love your scarf!! :)

Lara (Thinspired) November 27, 2009 at 8:28 am

I don’t even like stuffing, but sausage cranberry stuffing sounds dreamy.

Love the family pics and your whole holiday philosophy. Nowadays I always try to eat normally in the morning as well. Great minds, Heabie, great minds.

Abby November 27, 2009 at 8:43 am

Love your family pics! Does your dad also have a very deep voice like the Dos Equis dude?? lol

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving filled with loved ones and good food! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2009 at 8:48 am

Abby, My brother tried to talk my dad into being the Dos Equis guy for Halloween, but he just doesn’t get it. So, no, he can’t do the voice, but we’re still working on him. Hehe. :)

Evan Thomas November 27, 2009 at 9:06 am

You had such a great, balanced Thanksgiving. I love that positive attitude! I didn’t feel the urge at all to eat everything on the table, and I’m rather glad I didn’t because now as I’m eating through the leftovers half of it feels new

Nicole November 27, 2009 at 9:07 am

The Dos Equis Guy! HA that’s funny!
Looks like you had an awesome time. The holidays don’t have to be feared, and even though I am cautious most of the time, I didn’t let myself worry about it yesterday. I made sure to recognize what the day was about….something that actually surprised Dennis. As he watched me pour my 3rd glass of wine and eat my piece of pumpkin pie he said, “Wow. I’m surprised you’re not freaking out.” Like you said, it will all balance out in the end. I ate normally all day so that when it was time to put food on my plate I wasn’t overdoing it. I ate a normal portion. The wine, on the other hand….now that’s a different story…lol
Enjoy your day? Are you out shopping?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2009 at 9:10 am

NIcole, You could not pay me to go shopping today. Not a crowds person. Hitting up the yoga studio instead and doing some Christmas decorating followed by an evening hockey game. You will never see me lined up at Target at 5 AM!

Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. Sounds like you truly did, and I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Pure2Raw Twins November 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

Love your attitude about holiday meals and that it should not be scary, but something you just enjoy. I always look forward to holiday meals (i love to cook and bake) and being together with my family. I used to not eat much on holidays but now I just do as would normally eat on a regular day and just enjoy myself. No more stressing over if I eat this then I cannot eat that, just enjoy every bite.

merittothecarrot November 27, 2009 at 9:35 am

Wow! Looks like fabulous food & company. Glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Emily November 27, 2009 at 9:40 am

Your Thanksgiving spread looks gorgeous, Heather. So much good food! I love your attitude about just enjoying the day with family and friends instead of worrying about food. One day is not going to make a huge difference, and I’d rather enjoy it instead of being stressed. :-)

You and CD are adorable!

shelby November 27, 2009 at 9:51 am

I totally agree with you! I listened to my body and ate when I was hungry. I’m not usually afraid when it comes to holidays because I know it will all balance out and that my body will let me know when to stop eating.

I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal and spent time with family and friends!

kbwood November 27, 2009 at 10:01 am

oh my gosh that spread looks AWESOME!!! you are so pretty!

hotflashbang November 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

HEAB… Thanksgiving if my favorite holiday… mainly because the foo – I mean – focus is on family. I lost my brother 3 years ago and, although I always valued Thanksgiving, it’s become even more precious. In regards to food, I do not eat one bit of meat on Thanksgiving (and noooo I’m not a vegetarian!).. it’s all about the STARCH baby STARCH… potatoes.. bread… gravy.. corn.. stuffing… yummooooo.. did I say potatoes??? Blog on Sister!

Jenny November 27, 2009 at 10:49 am

great outlook on the holiday eating situation. I siked myself out big time for Thanksgiving but just as you said — one meal with a few splurges here and there is absolutely nothing!

p.s. I wore my peacoat for 50% of the day yesterday.. sometimes I just like to make an outfit out of it :) same with scarves.. I never take them off!

N.D. November 27, 2009 at 10:57 am

Looks like it was alot of fun – potluck?? I love the picture of the 2 of you – if you have kids they are going to have some awesome eyes!!

Dawn November 27, 2009 at 11:35 am

Heather, could you be more beautiful, inside
and out? I don’t think so. This post was really
inspiring. Happy to be in your blogging family!

Love, Dawn

Melissa S. November 27, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I’m so glad you had a better lookout on eating for the holidays…it seems like everyone is moving in that direction and it makes me so happy! i remember last year it seemed like everyone was so anxious and worried about how to maintain their eating during the holidays…guess we’re learning!!! yay!

momentanew November 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

What a gorgeous spread!!! Looks like you had a wonderful holiday :)

Shannon November 27, 2009 at 1:30 pm

happy thanksgiving heather!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2009 at 1:36 pm

You too Shannon! :)

april November 27, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I love your holiday outlook! I’m the same way.. I may have a slightly smaller breakfast but I don’t try to starve myself.. otherwise I eat way more than I would have if I just ate normally before hand!

eatmovelove November 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Christmas decorating! Love it! Great and-oh-so-true-post as always Heather! Eating is not just for eating or to be calulated or regimented- bah-…it’s also about socializing and enjoyment (oh the overly delicious enjoyment!)and having fun :) …I’m still a ‘stuffer though ;) Cheers!

eaternotarunner November 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Looks like quite the spread….hope you had a great day!

ashtangamami November 27, 2009 at 3:05 pm

You’re totally right, Heather. Feeling guilty is so lame. Eat what you want and then sweat it out on the mat the next day–no big deal! Happy Thanksgiving!

Heather November 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Looks like a great Thanksgiving! You and CD are so cute, and wow you look so much like your father. Have a great weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Heather, OMG – Do I look like the Dos Equis guy too?!? [?]

Tamzin November 27, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Looks like you had an amazing day, the food looks delish! x x

Chrysta November 27, 2009 at 4:05 pm

fabulous spread! I love your healthy attitude towards food. Beautiful scarf too by the way! =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Chrysta, Scarf is from REI. Love it. :)

runningaroundnormal November 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm

What a FEAST! Looks delicious. Your scarf is TOO cute – as are you – and I don’t blame you for not taking it off! I looove scarves during the winter

Bekah November 27, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Ahhh, -WHAT A SPREAD. yummm.

I noticed I payed more attention to my surroundings and family this year too, rather than the food. My thoughts weren’t “Bekah, you must get the first piece of pie because it might run out” soon followed by, “well, you CAN’T eat the whole piece.” There was plenty of food to go around, and I enjoyed/savored every little bite. It was a great day.

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving Heather!

Light Delight with Tou Tou November 27, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Whoa that’s a big potluck table !!! and everything seems to be really delish! you are very lucky to have the chef friends!!!
I ate quite a few pies yesterday , and thanks for justifying me do that ! haha, I just can’t help to share the sweet ending with my dear friends. and as you said, it balances out eventually. I workout today and didn’t feel anything funny in my stomach. You are right, as long as we are not doing that silly starving thing, holidays, will be really holidays :-D
have a great weekend!

balancejoyanddelicias November 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm

happy thanksgiving Heather!!! So glad you had great time with your loved ones! that’s what the festival is supposed to be!!! I’m like you in the sense that on this special event, I focus more on being with my people than on the food! I enjoy more offering, cooking, making everyone comfortable than eating myself! :D
Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!

strawberrysuitcase November 27, 2009 at 7:50 pm

you have a great philosophy about holiday eating. i agree about people worry way too much about it. if you have a normal-sized plate and a piece of pie or two you’re fine. it’s when you eat an ENTIRE pie that you might have a bit of a situation on your hands, haha. looks like you had a great day!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

How on earth did you get people to not attack the table while you took that photo.

Love the photos of you and the familia and your girlie friends.

You must have a very impressive scarf collection missy! Like I do! Love that one in particular.

Glad you enjoyed! :-) Hope you have a marvelous weekend.

PS I hit the yoga studio too- he did twists almost the whole day :-)

Christopher Ian Hill November 28, 2009 at 2:15 am

Hey Heather!

Your meals look good! :-) Seems like you have a awesome attitude about the food and the holidays in general! That’s kind of how I felt too. These meals are special and only a few times a year. So, It’s already been hard trying to change my diet and making it healther, that I decided I am just going to enjoy everything my family makes. So for me it was, the whole traditonal turkey dinner and pies with ice cream on top. It was good! :-) Unfortunately, my family has gone off in different directions now. It was just my parents and my brother (who all live together anyway) No more extended family and most of the elderly have passed from this world. I do miss holidays as a child. I will say they were a lot more meaningful. however, I can’t let the past drag the present down. It is good to have those good memories though. Who doesn’t love their childhood?

~Chirs :-)

CaSaundra November 29, 2009 at 8:24 am

Looks like an amazing spread & amazing friends/fam! Glad your day went great.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 30, 2009 at 8:10 am

You are so right! I treated Thanksgiving like any other day as far as food goes. I definitely focused more on the people and enjoying being with them :)