My Idea of Shopping

by HEAB on November 27, 2009

No, I wasn’t waiting in line at 4 AM for Target to open. Nor did I set foot in Costco today, or any sort of mall for that matter.

Nope, the only store that saw my money was the local Asian market.

Kabocha. Check.

After I got home, CD helped me lug all of our Christmas decorations up from the basement, and the only thing I managed to put up was Einstein’s Happy Hanukkah sign. Radley got jealous, stole Einstein’s Dreidel, and tried to bury it outside in the dirt.

We then attended our annual hockey game. I talked CD into leaving with 10 minutes left in the game…turns out we missed a goal by the Nashville Predators followed by a huge fight on the ice. Oops, sorry CD. My bad. ;)

Scarf. Check.

Tomorrow morning, I’m meeting up with a certain someone for yoga and coffee, and I can’t wait! I’m also hoping to go get our Christmas tree. There is nothing like a real Christmas tree in my opinion. Love that pine smell.

What about you? Tree or Menorah, and if you celebrate Christmas, do you get a real or a fake tree?

Betherann November 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm

We celebrate Christmas, but don’t do the tree. 3 dogs + 1 tree does not = merry Christmas! We do string lights, though!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Hahahaha looks like you got quite the Black Friday DEAL! I just tried kabocha a couple days ago and I’m hooked!

Mama Pea November 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I think you and I tie for the amount of shopping we did today. I just don’t get into it. Call me a Scrooge.

We are getting our tree tomorrow too!!! We have to have a REAL noble fir, anything else would be so wrong!

jacobc November 28, 2009 at 12:18 am

Yup, k&s got some kabocha money from me today to!
Couldn’t pay me to go out to the department stores on black friday..

Well, Christmas is Christ’s birthday.. Do you think Jesus would want you to celebrate with a tree he made, or some manmade piece of plastic..

Nothing compares to a real tree!

candice November 28, 2009 at 12:49 am

Haha, I got a semi-Black Friday deal (not a crazy department store freebie–more like a regular sale) AND some Trader Joe’s goodies. ;) Cheers to spending money on kabocha!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 28, 2009 at 1:10 am

No trees in years past, no menorahs either. But we’re a blended household. But actually, we are always gone over the winter holidays so it doesnt matter much. Thanks for your reply to my email, you’re the best, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
xoxox

Tamzin November 28, 2009 at 4:31 am

Gotta be a real tree! You look so pretty in that picture x x

Carolyn November 28, 2009 at 4:57 am

Tree, Christmas both sides here, but i’ll encourage and celebrate anything as long as any holiday is involved.. Loved the dreidel.

Used to do a huge real tree… Fraser Fir.. ah the smell.. Lately lazy, really nice fake tree, but the ambiance is wrecked when you have 150 branches lieing all over the room prior to assembly…..

This year, 4 month old kitten… Bought the 18″ Charlie Brown tree from Walgreen’s.. One red orni on bent branch… Cutest thing ever.. The house will be decked out.. The tree-ette will be safely up on a table…

Tiffanie November 28, 2009 at 5:35 am

Growing up we always had a fake Charlie Brown pitiful looking tree. My mom didn’t have a whole lot of money and it was either $50 on a tree or presents so we obviously opted for the presents. However as an adult I said I’d never have a fake tree. This is my 12th year getting a real one and with all the hassle I’m tempted to get a fake one at all the after Christmas sales…sorry kids! Lol

VeggieGirl November 28, 2009 at 6:24 am

$tellar $hopping :)

Have fun with Erica!!

Anne P November 28, 2009 at 6:54 am

real tree all the way!

i really love your hair, by the way. :)

Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers November 28, 2009 at 7:01 am

Both for me! In the last few years I’ve gone with a fake tree because it’s way easier but it’s nice to go home to my mom’s real tree :-)

Dori November 28, 2009 at 7:03 am

Menorah! I have to remember to get it from my apartment and bring it to Rob’s this year, he doesn’t have one (but he should). Great pic of you and CD!

molly @thevegandorm November 28, 2009 at 7:19 am

haha that was my team the predators were up against! wish i could have been there!
I spent my $ on groceries too…the stores were all empty!

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 28, 2009 at 7:30 am

We always get a real tree! I love the smell!

Shelby November 28, 2009 at 7:39 am

I really want a real tree but it’s up to the momz. She’s the one who cleans all the needles up and stuff. Like when the cat gets into the tree or when the boys knock it around. Hopefully we will get a real one!

tosha25italia November 28, 2009 at 7:40 am

I can’t wait to put up my tree – i want a real one but we’ve had fake ones the last 5 years.

Jessica November 28, 2009 at 8:08 am

I do a fake tree, but only because I’m allergic! I do love the smell, so burn lots of evergreen-scented candles.

Nicole November 28, 2009 at 8:22 am

HEAB!! It’s such a No-No to leave a game early!!! lol Great pic of you and CD by the way…and the Dreidel was hilarious.
And our 2 cats have made it clear that having a real tree is pretty much impossible…however, every year I try to convince Dennis that “this” year will be different…let’s see how it works on him this year.

livingfreeforever November 28, 2009 at 8:40 am

Love the scarf and I love a REAL tree! I agree about the smell. It just makes it seem more like Christmas:)

I have NEVER gone shopping on black Friday. In fact, I didn’t even go out of the house! How’s that for avoiding the crowds and traffic? Have fun decorating!
XOXO

Evan Thomas November 28, 2009 at 8:41 am

We get a real tree, grown not a mile away. In fact we’re picking it up today, and it’s so small we could probably walk it home, haha

eatmovelove November 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

I haven’t gotten a tree the last few years (low-key Christmases despite it being my favorite time of year), but one of my patients gave me little 1 1/2 footer last year (fake of course, complete with bells and Xmas lights)…I was so taken aback and surprised – it made me tearful – oye. I would love to get a real one but that won’t happen where I live! Toying with the idea of getting a fake 4 footer from the store…but it is money…probably just stick with my 4-footer and enjoy my friends instead :)
Glad you didn’t get trampled @ Wal-Mart !

Jenny R. November 28, 2009 at 8:58 am

Heather, your dogs are Jewish?? Mazel tov! lol..I need to get my four legged children some cute chanukkah toys.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Jenny R. Einstein is Jewish, but Radley is a devout Catholic. ;)

homecookedem November 28, 2009 at 8:59 am

Oh how FUN that you’re meeting up with Erica!! :) 2 of the sweetest and my most favorite bloggers together!! :)

My husband and I get a real tree because we are sentimental saps. We just love the smell, but something tells me when our (not yet conceived) kids leave the house and we’re old, we’ll probably break down and buy an artificial. ;)

WENDY November 28, 2009 at 9:03 am

OK TWO QUESTIONS…..WHERE IS THE LOCAL MARKET? i AM GONNA HAVE TO GO BUY WHEN WE ARE NEXT THERE.
TWO…HOW COULD YOU LEAVE THE GAME??????? HOCKEY IS SO AWESOME!!!! IT IS THE ONLY SPORT I LIKE TO GO TO AND WATCH (BESIDES HORSE SHOWS). I AM SO JEALOUSE YOU GOT TO GO TO THE GAME.
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEKEND!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 28, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Wendy, I know, I caught some slack for leaving the game. Hehe. It was late, and I was so tired. Plus, we parked so far away, and I didn’t want to be wandering downtown at 10 PM on a Friday night.

I go the K & S Market on Charlotte for my kabocha squash: http://www.yelp.com/biz/k-and-s-world-market-nashville

inmytummy November 28, 2009 at 9:09 am

We celebrate both, although there are no trees or menorahs. Actually, I think there is a menorah in a kitchen cabinet somewhere gathering dust. We’re not what you’d call religious! Lol.

Emily November 28, 2009 at 9:14 am

No way did I venture out into the Black Friday madness! I’m buying most of my gifts from etsy.com or making them this year. :-)

We have a fake tree. When we lived in Ohio, trees were really expensive, so we bought a fake one. Then we moved to MI, where the trees are pretty inexpensive. Oh, well! :-)

Tina November 28, 2009 at 9:39 am

Wow that’s a lotttt of squash. I still need to roast mine!

Lucky you having your Christmas decorations up! I need to get some for my dorm room :)

merittothecarrot November 28, 2009 at 11:07 am

Can’t live without some Kabocha! Priorities :)
Truly, the smell of a Christmas Tree makes the house so pleasant. It’s probably my favorite!

Have a great time at yoga!

Carbzilla November 28, 2009 at 11:13 am

I didn’t realize that Einstein was Jewish – Mazel Tov!

We celebrate Christmas, and I’m glad to see that we’re not the only ones who don’t do a tree. We did for many years, but after a while it just didn’t seem worth the effort (ie. letting Chris do the lights and then me having to redo them once he left for work). Then there was the year that Cady (the dog) thought it was funny to run around the house with a glass ornament in her mouth. We could only hang the ornaments at a certain height b/c the cats couldn’t help themselves and would swat them to kingdom come.

Now we just visit friends and enjoy their trees! I used to decorate our tree only in snowmen (when we lived back East where we actually got snow) but I even sold all my ornaments as a lot on Ebay a couple years back and spent the money on gifts.

Hope that doesn’t sound Bah Humbuggy! I did decide that when we have less things to pay off, we’ll hire someone to string lights on the house professionally since I loves lighted houses!

Jenny November 28, 2009 at 11:17 am

haha, priorities, right? the only store i set foot in yesterday was the grocery store :)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama November 28, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Hockey games are the best!

GeenyBeeny November 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

We always have a real tree. The day after Thanksgiving, we go to a local Christmas tree farm with close friends and their twins. We all ride out to the field in the wagon and pick out a tree (a Concolor fir, for the fabulous orangey-pine smell!). The driver of the wagon is Mr. Smith, the kindly, elderly owner of the farm. Then it’s back to our house for homemade soup, buttermilk cornbread and a blazing fire. The kids play while the grownups visit. It’s so much fun and I know our kids will look back on it fondly when they are older, and perhaps do the same with their children.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 28, 2009 at 2:43 pm

GeenyBeeny, What a lovely holiday tradition. Makes me smile just reading about it.

calmkindpeace November 28, 2009 at 12:46 pm

K, so I have internet access for like 15 minutes :( …will only be able to check in these fun places now like 2 times a week.
You are so happy Heather, and deserve to be. I never even read to see what you eat, I just like the posts.
I find it very very difficult at christmas…honestly I have a past friend that did a lot of bad to me, and never even acknowledged it (there was stuff on my part too of course, but I owned up to it), and I even helped her through bad times….now the tables are turned and I see her posting on a million blogs all this happy happy stuff and never being heartful enough just to say a “wish u well”…just that…I think that anger has me so saddened combined with a horrible physical situation I am in. I kind of want to forget christmas as much as possible (I have roomies, so its going to be hard)…I even see all these commercials for christmas movies and stories starting soon and I intentionally am avoiding it all…
what a horrible mood to put myself in…to be saddened by others successes :( ….its bad on my part…but I guess its the hardships and anger of others not even realizing it…its like that anger in me makes me someone I really am not and dont wanna be….u r so so lucky to be so surrounded by the best people in the world and to spend so much time with REAL friends, REAL family, REAL husband…living life for all its worth …good job, an inspiration :)
your so honest…and i know so many dishonest people who have lied to me in past and present about anything right down to food choices…i only look at honest, kind people now…and I hope to get back to the person I am TRULY “am”.

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Calmkindpeace, You’ll get back there my friend. You will. Just continue to surround yourself with real people. those that are honest and positive. They can only bring out the best in you. :)

Melissa S. November 28, 2009 at 1:25 pm

hehehe…i hit up the grocery store for my shopping too; no mall for me!

chrysta November 28, 2009 at 1:30 pm

awesome! I love putting up the tree. We had to get a fake one though which is ok. We live in SoCal and the christmas trees are ridiculously expensive here! ugh!! Oh well…We actually just put ours up yesterday night. Blared some Mariah Carey Christmas songs and had a christmas day decoration fest. So fun!
Hockey game sounds great too! I love a good game=) I hope you have a wonderful day!

missyrayn November 28, 2009 at 1:41 pm

We are a Christmas family. I love real trees but for now we don’t put one up due to time. Since our church is downstairs (we live in the pastor apartment) we use that one as ours. Once we have kids we’ll get our own.

Kathleen November 28, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Definitely a real tree. Grew up with one and never had anything different! Also, a real wreath on the door, pointsettias, candles, little white lights and red and green plaid placemats. Plus, the Christmas mugs come out. I so enjoy my morning coffee in a Christmas mug! Since I am enjoying a variety of teas these days, I’ll have to find the right “holidayish” Japanese tea cup for my green tea!

Holiday cheers!

Neats November 28, 2009 at 3:58 pm

*sigh* fake tree for me – I am highly allergic to pine trees and there are really no others that come close.

Brittany November 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Isaac and I do both and I like to have a real tree!! I think we are going to set ours up this coming week. I can’t wait.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 28, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I love that your house is so multicultural! Ours is also a blend but we always celebrated Christmas and had a real tree when we were kids and for the first several yrs of our marriage. Then we got lazy and had a fake one and to be honest, it was easy (BOINK! Tree’s UP now!) but kinda sad. It’s so cool to actually decorate it piece by piece if you have the time- and there’s nothing like “christmas tree smell” …it’s the best.

Erin November 28, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I like my trees like I like my food – REAL! ;)

Pure2Raw Twins November 28, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I did not do much shopping either, forgot how crazy people can get! My family used to do the fake tree but nowadays we have stepped up to a real tree!! Yeah, we are finally updating our blog… especially the blogroll. I hope all is well :)

Fat Old Jogger November 28, 2009 at 8:39 pm

How could you? Poor poor CD. He is an abused boy. You wouldn’t leave the dog park early!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 28, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I know. I know. I owe him…big time.

Jean November 28, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Yep, I would say that you owe CD. :-)
Christmas @ my house, and a fake tree. I am sensitive to scents, and the smell of fresh pine makes me TOTALLY congested. I’ve heard that there might be certain trees that won’t affect me, but I haven’t investigated that yet. Until then, I’ll just pull the tree out of the box already decorated & plug it in!

ashtangamami November 28, 2009 at 10:23 pm

HEAB you really made me laugh with this one! How wonderful that you honor Einstein with a dreidel and hanukkah banner! My kids have that same dreidel with the sweet little chimes inside! :) My daughter is just getting to the age where I have to explain that we don’t do Christmas because we’re Jewish–fun conversations for sure with a three-year-old. I’ll have to send you some pics of us lighting the menorah with her, it’s so cute. She already knows how to recite the prayers in Hebrew!

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 29, 2009 at 7:24 am

Ashtangamami, Would love to see the pics of your little one. :)

yogiclarebear November 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm

LOVE HOCKEY! too bad my boys (Wild) really suck this year, but i still love em.

Christopher Ian Hill November 29, 2009 at 12:12 am

Heather,

We always have a real Christmas tree, but I don’t see anything wrong with a fake one. That way, it’s cleaner and you can use it again…but, I still like the real tree…I am just an ol’ fashion traditional kind of guy!

~Chris

wendy November 29, 2009 at 7:00 am

thank you for the link! I am so going to have to try out this squash you keep raving about.

CaSaundra November 29, 2009 at 8:23 am

I just bought four kabochas yesterday–the guy at the checkout didn’t even know what they were. People are missing out big time!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 30, 2009 at 8:13 am

I had a real tree for several years until we figured out it was causing some problems with my dad’s allergies. And our cat used to eat it and drink the water!

So for the last 10 years or so I’ve had fake trees and my husband and I use one passed down to us by my parents. We’re hoping to get a new one next year and maybe someday when we have children, we’ll start getting real ones again for them :)

Marissa December 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Tree! I also prefer real for the smell, but I admit that I have seem some kitschy pink trees that look really cute!