A Breakfast Fit For Einstein

by HEAB on December 19, 2009

Yesterday, I made Christmas Pancakes, and today I made Hanukkah Pancakes in honor of our Jewish dog, Einstein.

They were blue. Can you tell? How about a close-up?

I simply blended 1/2 cup frozen blueberries into my almond flour pancake batter. They were hit with a rather large snow storm of So Delicious plain coconut milk yogurt.

Happy Hanukkah Einey! Here are some of the gifts he received.

Schlep the Camel, A Baa Mitzvah lamb, and a bagel. Thanks Sara! He loves them.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend thus far. I have stayed busy running around town, making & wrapping gifts, and baking. Oh yeah, I squeezed in a little yoga at Lululemon too. Don’t forget to breathe my friends. :)

Before I go, a very Happy Birthday to Joy, my sister-in-law. Love you!!!

heather and joy.jpg

Back to baking and wrapping. Bye for now. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 19, 2009 at 2:18 pm

It’s Scott’s birthday today, too! And he’s Jewish. And I didnt get him anything for Hanukah OR his bday. But we are taking a little trip so that’s kinda the deal in our house :)

The pancakes…boy those things look amazing and your recipe is gettin’ around! Mama Pea just tweaked it (I think that was the one!) and between this and Katie’s Brownie Batter, I really cant wait for cold weather to go home and make pancakes in!

Love that you did some Lulu Yoga :)

Namaste my friend!
xoxo

VeggieGirl December 19, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Too freaking cute :-D

Erica December 19, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I love fruity pancakes. I don’t know which I like better…banana or blueberry. Good luck with all the running around and wrapping :) I have a little more to do too. Hope you two have some nice plans for tonight

Jessica December 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I love blueberries in pancakes!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 19, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Those little pancakes are too cute!

Janna (Just Flourishing) December 19, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Yay for Einstein and Chanukah! You should make him latkes (potato pancakes) for Chanukah too! Happy birthday to your sister! It’s my dad’s birthday today!

Kristen December 19, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Holy yum those pancakes look GOOD!

Evan Thomas December 19, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Those dog toys are soooo cute

Abby December 19, 2009 at 2:44 pm

The pancakes look good… I like how you make em tiny.. kinda like little appetizers!

Happy b-day to your sis in law :)

the vegster December 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I want to go to your house for pancakes…they all look so good!

Great pic of you and your sis in law!

Katie December 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Your pancake variations are always SO SO GOOD!

I added a TABLESPOON of glucomannan to mine today (then I realized that the carb quick + glucomannan meant there were 30 grams of fiber in them!!) but they were tasty and filling!

I am going to try spinach this week, blueberry, and maybe CHERRY!

Have a good weekend,

Katie

Shelby December 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Blue pancakes! Love it!

Ameena December 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Very cute picture of you and your SIL!

Jenny R. December 19, 2009 at 3:50 pm

how did your doggy get to be jewish?? he just is? Well last night wast the last night of chanukkah so I hope he celebrated well! I finally had a bit of free time to experiment in the kitchen and I made pancakes this morning!! I used vanilla jay and quinoa flour since I didn’t have any coconut or almond. I was scared to try them since I am the world’s worst pancake maker (I can never flip em right – always a mess) so I halved the recipe but stirred in some purreed steamed brocoli. BEST PANCAKES!! I am so so happy you introduced me to this recipe b/c it’s a whole new way to eat jay. That sounds weird but you know what I mean ;) I can’t wait to try some variations

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Jenny, Einstein was born Jewish. :)

Glad you’re enjoying some Jay in your pancakes. I’ve been having him for breakfast every morning. Hehe.

Lauren December 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Don’t you love how blueberries make the pancakes entirely blue? And your mouth for that matter. ;)

Have a great weekend Heather!

Nicole December 19, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Your Coconut yogurt snowstorm looks like the DC/MD/VA area. We’re getting dumped on right now. The best part is watching the people around here react to it. It’s times like this that being from upstate NY is fun. lol

Those Jewish toys are hilarious! Love them!! Was he born into a Jewish family?
You look awesome in the pic of you and your sis in law. I love your hair.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Nicole, Einstein was abandoned as a puppy at a local donut shop. When we adopted him, we named him Einstein, deciding that he was Jewish based on his name. :)

Betherann December 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Baaa mitzvah…that’s great! Happy Hanukah, Einstein!

plamarie December 19, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Happy Birthday Eistein and Joy. Can’t go wrong with blueberry pancakes. Happy Weekend :)

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 19, 2009 at 4:17 pm

What a great idea for blueberry pancakes! Gorgeous shots of the inside of them too :)

Jenny December 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm

oh blue pancakes.. mazel tov! (that’s the only piece of hebrew I know)

happy day miss Heather!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Mazel Tov to Einstein! :-)

Your photo is exquisite- dare I say you looked blond? Happy Bday SIL!

Love those toys. Shlep is hilarious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Deb, I know, I had some major blond highlights when that picture was taken. You couldn’t see it, but I also had several other colors in there. Might have been some purple underneath. ;)

Veggiesmack December 19, 2009 at 5:12 pm

The pancakes and the yogurt both look delicious!

missyrayn December 19, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I love making blue pancakes or waffles. I make them for Hunni and me a couple of times a month.

Carolyn December 19, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I love the steincakes! And those are the best dog toys… ever.. period… especially the bagel… Thanks for the funny post Heather… you are a laughsaver!!!

Ok, i’m going back in… wish me luck…

Beth December 19, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Hannukah pancakes, genius!!!

Heather, have you HEABized (my new word :) ) kale? I am trying to eat more kale because it is a major superfood but my only success has been burning it under the broiler. At least it is crunchy :)
Thank you for your awesome blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Beth, So wished I liked kale. The only way I can handle it is roasted with ketchup. LOVE kale chips. :)

Lara (Thinspired) December 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Hehe…Happy Hanukkah to Einstein. That is just too cute. You are such a wonderful pet owner!

Cherie December 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Heather the pancakes look yummy & love the color. I made some almond pancakes for dinner tonight and included some coconut milk, TBSP of flax, then half the batter I added some cocoa powder for dessert pancakes! Happy B-day SIL!! I also thought it was a nice pic.

Hey Beth, I have a Kale suggestion for you. I like to steam some Kale and broccoli (together) first & then saute them in a little KerryGold Butter, olive oil and I add a little of my homemade organic type Adobo type seasoning. So good!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Katie December 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm

I ate so many blueberry pancakes in college, I haven’t been able to eat them since. I used to always put yogurt on my pancakes, but haven’t since I stopped eating dairy. How is the plain coconut milk yogurt?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 20, 2009 at 7:08 am

Katie, The coconut milk yogurt is okay. Kind of runny, and the flavored ones are way too sweet in my opinion. The plain is not something I would eat all on its own, but it works on pancakes. :)

lora December 20, 2009 at 12:38 am

you need to stop eating pancakes, because I am having MAJOR pancake cravings and yet have no mix or flour. I think this means I need to come over for breakfast. be on the lookout.

xoxoxoxo,

Lolo

theemptynutjar December 20, 2009 at 8:15 am

Hope your pup had a sweet day. :)

Allie (Protein Girl) December 20, 2009 at 8:19 am

Einstein told my dog Chili Pepper that he really wanted latkes for breakfast, but he’ll settle for adorable blue pancakes instead.

CaSaundra December 20, 2009 at 8:25 am

I love how pancakes take on the color of whatever you put in em’–totally digging the blue hue!! Have fun wrapping and baking :-)

eatmovelove December 20, 2009 at 8:58 am

Wait a minute – how do you know he’s Jewish haha !!
Love the bloobs ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 20, 2009 at 10:09 am

Eatmovelove, Einstein is a Jewish name. :)

marla December 20, 2009 at 9:21 am

Great that u celebrated your doggie too!! The blue pancakes sound yummy. Could you please come this way and cook me breakfast sometime!! Gotta get back into yoga. I have been weight lifting and light cardio….but have not been making time for my yoga…not cool. Body not as flexible, need to cross train more….ughhhh!

Danielle (Coffee Run) December 20, 2009 at 10:19 am

Reading your blog has inspired me to start trying yoga :) It’s so relaxing, no wonder everyone loves it.

Love the blue ‘cakes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 20, 2009 at 11:35 am

Awesome Danielle. :)

Jess December 20, 2009 at 10:40 am

Cute dog toys – Schlep the Camel and Baaa Mitzvah crack me up. You look so pretty in that picture! happy bday to your SIL!

The Voracious Vegan December 20, 2009 at 11:49 am

Those pancakes look scrumptious, love all those blueberries!

{ 1 trackback }