Amazing Rawness

by HEAB on December 21, 2009

Last week, I received the most amazing box of goodies from Lori and Michelle, my favorite twins.

Are you jealous? Well, you should be because these girls definitely know how to un-bake. ;)

A little history behind Lori and Michelle’s business: They started Twin Cakes Bakery two years ago and added the Pure2Raw product line in August 2008. They are working on getting their online store up and running by the New Year, and they will ship out of state. For now, orders are done through emails and phone calls. Check out the Pure2Raw blog as they will be selling some of their food items there as well.

CD and I gladly worked our way through all the yumminess…

All the Mac’s or macaroons were amazing. All of them! Below was my favorite, the Mint Chocolate Chip Mac. It contained organic unsweetened coconut flakes, organic coconut oil, organic dates, organic cacao nibs, organic vanilla, organic mint, stevia, organic sea salt, and chlorophyll. Please ignore my cracked dry winter hands. Looks like they could use a good dose of coconut oil themselves.

I also loved the Candy Cane Mac’s. The twins used goji berries for the “peppermint candy”. Ha, brilliant! I ate mine crumbled on a serving of chocolate peppermint protein ice-cream.

Oh, and let’s not forget the amazing raw crackers and flatbreads…

First up was a hummus platter with Herb and Rosemary crackers. The crackers were definitely the best part of the meal.

My breakfast this morning. So fun…

Staying with my pancake theme, I made Allie’s Pimped Oat Bran Pancakes, subbing nutritional yeast for the Parm, and topping them with a crumbled Garden Herb Sunshine Burger, hummus and a piece of Pure2Raw Collard Green Fiesta Flatbread. Seriously, I wish all of you could have eaten this with me. Wait, no I don’t because that would’ve meant less for me. ;)

CD’s favorite was the Caramel Lite Bar which he said tasted just like a candy bar. Luckily, I was able to snag the last bite before he ate it for a photo. Check out the ingredients: organic pumpkin seeds, Italian almonds, organic unsweetened coconut flakes, organic coconut oil, organic dates, organic yacon, organic vanilla, stevia, organic sea salt, organic cacao powder, cocoa butter, organic agave, organic coconut oil. That’s definitely one candy bar I don’t mind giving to my husband.

Lori and Michelle’s products are gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, corn, soy, casein, and peanut free, as well as low on the glycemic index. As you all know, I consume rather large amounts of nut butter, but sugar is not my friend. I love that the twins try and keep the sugar content of all their products low, but trust me, none of them are lacking in flavor! I think incorporating more raw foods into anyone’s diet is a wonderful idea, but what’s the point if they’re swimming in agave nectar? Yes, agave nectar is raw, but it’s still high in calories and sugars. Every Pure2Raw creation I sampled contained the perfect amount of sweetness, and I never felt gross after eating them…which has happened with raw desserts in the past. The thought and love these girls put into their products shines through in every bite. Thanks again Lori and Michelle. I truly believe your business will experience much success as all of the goodies you sent were some of the best raw foods I’ve ever eaten. Please know, you now have two HUGE fans in Nashville!

P.S. Want to know what’s in this bowl of yum?

Well, click here to read all about it in my guest post over at Thinspired!

Cindy December 21, 2009 at 10:22 am

Heather…LOVE THIS REVIEW…I am right there with you on the sugar issue! how do you find a perfectly amazing treat without all the loaded sugar (healthier version or not).

I love the ingredient list on thier treats!
I will definately be looking into placing an order!

xo

Holly December 21, 2009 at 10:55 am

How tempting! Kudos to the twins for having such an innovative (and fun – and tasty!!) business venture. If only there were more like them!

Your pancakes, however, look just as lovely. The crumbled veggie burger is an excellent idea – I will have to try that!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 21, 2009 at 10:56 am

That caramel lite bar looks amazing! My mouth is watering…

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 21, 2009 at 11:13 am

yum!!
I’m pretty sure I’ll be ordering some stuff when shipping to Canada becomes available!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie December 21, 2009 at 11:25 am

CD has good taste. The Caramel bar was MY favorite as well. Oh my GOSH I wanted to swim in it (well, if it had been liquid).

Those girls are TOO SWEET! (Literally lol) :)

Of course, I loved their macaroons too… even just the fun flavors. I mean, how could you not love a candy cane macaroon?!

Veggiesmack December 21, 2009 at 11:40 am

All of those raw goodies look fantastic! I want to eat them all!

Your breakfast from this morning kind of looks like a sundial. :-)

Ameena December 21, 2009 at 11:55 am

Lucky you! Everything looks so delicious and being that they are gluten-free I am definitely going to check them out!

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 21, 2009 at 11:56 am

Those look amazing! I’m loving the ingredient list!

Tiffany S. December 21, 2009 at 11:56 am

Super exciting! I have them on my reader!

Their items are perfect for me, except for the sugar, but that’s still pretty close – for a sweet treat.

I have to swear off internet ordering for a bit of 2010 and stay local, but slowly I’m sure I’ll be “venturing” back out into the web food world.

justine December 21, 2009 at 11:58 am

yum you lucky dog, those look amazing. hope you rested well this morning. love you and all your pancakes!!!

~Justine

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 21, 2009 at 12:00 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how many cool things can be done without baking things! Gotta admit, I love baking and all that comes with it, but I am SO impressed with all of the sweet raw things I’ve been seeing lately!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 21, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I love the Twins, the goodies look amazing, hope you enjoy every last raw bite :)

Erica December 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm

All of the raw goodies look SO good. I can’t wait to see what all they have to offer in their online store. The Mint Chocolate Chip Mac sounds fab- there is just SOMETHING about mint with chocolate. Glad you guys enjoyed the treats! Merry (almost) Christmas!

Danielle December 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I love the ingredients, everything sounds soooo good!

kathleen December 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Sooo yummy looking!

Kristen December 21, 2009 at 12:48 pm

You lucky thing! Everything looks SO good!

prettyladycmu December 21, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Mmmm everything looks fabulous!

Evan Thomas December 21, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Sound delicious!

The Pancake Girl December 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Oh that “candy bar” looks fab!!

Shelby December 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I’m speechless!!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 21, 2009 at 2:31 pm

They do look like a talented couple of gals! That candy bar says “lite”. So I can eat twice as many right :-D ha ha

Janna (Just Flourishing) December 21, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Oh yuM! Those treats look amazing! I want I want!

Mama Pea December 21, 2009 at 3:38 pm

What a treat for you (and that lucky CD of yours)! I’m sure everything is that package was as wonderful as the twins are themselves! Enjoy (for as long as it lasts…)!

Abbys Vegan Eats December 21, 2009 at 3:47 pm

The twins sell at my farmers market!!! I lucked out.. enjoy your goodies! :)

Tamzin December 21, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Oooooo it all looks so good! x

Jenny December 21, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Lori and Michelle sound like miracle workers! I am so in awe of how amazing raw recipes can be!

candice December 21, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Whoa, chlorophyll in a dessert? For what, color? Intriguing! 8O That caramel bar even looks like a candy bar. It sounds delish :]

strawberrysuitcase December 21, 2009 at 5:19 pm

everything looks delish. i second the chlorophyll comment. i had no idea you could put that in baked goods. i, too, cannot do a lot of sugar but love healthy baking. but like you said, if the product has a lot of agave in it, it’s can be too overpowering and caloric. what a great idea they had for a company.

ohhmay December 21, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Oh wow, these treats look too good to be true!!!
I loved your guest post, I’ve bookmarked it and printed the recipe so the plan is HEAB gired rice tomorrow!

Gaby December 21, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Healthy candy! It looks so good! I wish I knew where to get some of those ingredients used in raw recipes though, like clorophyl or spirulina.
I also love the idea of fried rice with quinoa! I’ll have to try that soon.
How long will you be in AZ? I’m going to be there the 26th to Jan 2nd. First Sedona then the Grand Canyon. I’m so excited! But bracing myself for the cold :O

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 21, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Gaby, My in-laws are in Scottsdale, and we’ll be there through Dec. 30. Sedona is amazing, and planning I’m hiking the Grand Canyon with my MIL in March. Cannot wait. Oh gosh, it is going to be cold in Flagstaff! Even Phoenix is experiencing unseasonably cool weather right now. It will still be beautiful though. :)

eatmovelove December 21, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Neither vegan nor raw here – but have everything so these look delish! You’ve got good connections. I just posted some Almond Butter cookies …yummers – if anyone wants to check them out – definitely don’t have yours or these girls skillz though haha ;)

Shannon December 21, 2009 at 9:50 pm

i recently started reading the twins, and it sounds like they have alot of the right ideas, love these goodies!!

theemptynutjar December 22, 2009 at 8:04 am

Well,free food is always good , right ? :)
Heather, you have it so “together”. I love that. I always see examples of people who believe they need “more time” to figure out their life and figure out their true self, when “more time” means nothing…I think people like you are examples of people who just figure themselves out along the way, whether they are busy 24-7 or whatever…you just seem so..content :)

Lindsay December 22, 2009 at 8:15 am

Wow, all of their baked goods look awesome! hahaha like you, I don’t think I would have wanted to share- less for me :)
happy Tuesday miss heaby!

Gena December 22, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I’ve just been rejoicing in the selfsame package!! Amazing stuff.

glidingcalm December 22, 2009 at 3:57 pm

wow! the twin’s treats look amazing! esp the last caramel bar!!!

protein ice cream!!!!! dying to try some!

Michal December 23, 2009 at 7:18 am

I have seen so much about the twins and their lovely raw goodies lately. I am dying to try some! One day ill place an order :)