I've Been Missing Out

by HEAB on December 22, 2009

This post is going to be kind of random.

Let’s start with the bad news…

The kind folks at Sequel Naturals sent me some of their new Vega Vibrancy Bars. Check out the stats:

Picture 1.png

I really wanted to like these bars and ripped into the Green Synergy flavor…

I took a big bite, noticed the pleasant crunch, and then proceeded to spit it out in the trash when the taste hit me. Blech. This tasted like a bar made of compressed dirt, grass, and sprouted buckwheat crunchy things. I like buckwheat, but I do not like dirt.

CD sampled the Wholesome Original flavor. His review in one sentence: It’s not disgusting, but I’m not going to finish it.

I will say that 100% of the Chocolate Decadence bar was consumed by me. It was okay as the chocolate masked some of the dirt taste. Sorry Vega! I’m sure many of you out there would like these, but I’m not a fan of “green” or “earthy” tasting bars. However, I give the crunch factor an A+.

So, the Vega package didn’t go over so well, but the one I received on my doorstep yesterday sure did…

Clare sent me the most amazing package of HEAB friendly goodies…no dirt included. There was massage therapy oil, candles (pomegranate and waffle scented at that!), wheat berries, PANCAKE MIX, pomegranate tea, and a delicata squash (So excited! My first delicata!). Thanks so much Clare. This was beyond thoughtful of you.

The good news continued with my breakfast this morning. CD and I are leaving tomorrow morning to spend the Christmas holidays with John and Alice, Chris’s parents, and we’re trying to use up everything in our fridge before we go. Therefore, I ate a somewhat odd assortment of food, but it worked.

I ate grilled chicken and hummus on some Pure2Raw Bok Choy Flatbread. Heavenly! The bowl contained kabocha soup…WHY HAVE I NOT MADE THIS BEFORE?!? Several of you have sent me kabocha soup recipes (shout-out to reader Dawn!), but I’ve never got around to making any of them. Oh my gosh, this was so easy. I simply blended 1/2 of a leftover roasted kabocha squash with 1 cup water, salt, cinnamon, and 1 stevia packet in my Vita-Mix until warm. To think I’ve had a Vita for 4 or 5 years now and never made this. Very sad for me. Oh well, no regrets, but you can expect lots of squash soup in my future. :)

OK, off to finish wrapping Christmas presents. Does anyone have any good delicata squash recipes????

Oh, and if you missed this bowl of yum…

Please click here to read all about it in my guest post over at Thinspired.

P.S. If you want a tight butt, do lots of low lunges and twists in yoga. Gosh, my booty is sore from those! :)

Allie (Protein Girl) December 22, 2009 at 8:34 am

Those eats look great! I have mixed reviews of Vega. Haven’t tried the bars, but I love Smoothie Infusion and Berry protein powder. Did NOT love the chai, sadly…

Allie (Protein Girl) December 22, 2009 at 8:35 am

Pure2Raw twins December 22, 2009 at 8:35 am

Thanks for the review. Vega is sending us samples too… I am curious to try because I like their protein mix… maybe I just have weird taste buds ;) Bars look and sounds interesting.

Jenny R. December 22, 2009 at 8:39 am

Heather…I just got so excited for you. Delicata squash is my absolute favourite squash in the entire world…maybe my favourite FOOD in the entire universe actually. I can’t find any more around here. My suggestion – you really need to just roast it and eat it plain first and enjoy the amazing taste. It’s so frickin good!!! K now that I have thoroughly scared you…I agree..vega is..well..not so hot. I feel bad for vega. Like you said, it’s that protein powder that everyone wants to love b/c of the amazing health benefits but it simply tastes like gritty yucky bleh.

Danielle December 22, 2009 at 8:39 am

Oh no! I bought some Vega bars yesterday because they had great ingredients. I’m not a fan of eating the ground in bar form but I’ll try to keep an open mind.

Kabocha soup sounds goooood. How long does it have to blend to get warm?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 8:58 am

Danielle, Just a few minutes to blend the soup. 3 maybe? When I take the lid off the Vita, there is steam coming out. Love that blender!

Evan Thomas December 22, 2009 at 8:39 am

Aww I’m disappointed to hear the bars weren’t good. I’m a fan of the Amazing Grass bars and I was hoping these would be like.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 8:59 am

Evan, If you like Amazing Grass, then you’ll probably like the Vega bars. They tasted similar to me.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 22, 2009 at 8:46 am

Kabocha soup sounds really good! Another reason I NEED a Vitamix in my life.

Kath December 22, 2009 at 8:47 am

I thought the texture of those bars was so good I ate through the gross oily taste!

Erica December 22, 2009 at 8:48 am

Hahah- those bars sound super tasty ;) Thank you for the review. I love squash soup-so comforting. Have a fabulous Christmas!!!! And a safe trip

jacobc December 22, 2009 at 8:49 am

hehe, it is good to know you won’t tell a lie just to make some company feel good!!
Send them to evan, he is ranting about them all the time..

prettyladycmu December 22, 2009 at 8:50 am

Mmmmm I bet the soup is divine! I would LOVE to make kabocha soup but I don’t think my poor Black & Decker blender could handle it!

gina (fitnessista) December 22, 2009 at 8:53 am

what a sweet and thoughtful care package!
bummer about the vega bars.. i’m got some coming my way, too, but usually i love their products so we shall see ;)
have a wonderful trip!
i’m so bummed i’ll miss you in az :/
xoxox

Chocolate-Covered Katie December 22, 2009 at 9:06 am

Hey Miss HEAB :)

Uh oh, I got those bars too…

The Pumpkin Pie soup I mentioned in my post from yesterday was actually delicata! Not a good as kabocha, but yummy nonetheless :)

Rachel December 22, 2009 at 9:12 am

You’re making me want pancakes! Where is my yummy foods fairy?

Graze With Me December 22, 2009 at 9:14 am

My mom gave me a few delicatta squash from her garden a few months ago. I cut one lengthwise and roasted it in the oven then filled it with some chopped, heated apple, cinnamon and maple syrup. It was amazing! Another good combo had the same ingredients but also a bit of leftover mushroom risotto.

justrun December 22, 2009 at 9:17 am

That soup looks great! I still can’t find kobocha but I won’t give up.

Have a happy holiday!

Janna (Just Flourishing) December 22, 2009 at 9:22 am

That JUST reminded me.. I have had quinoa in SO long. Maybe for dinner tonight!

Abbys Vegan Eats December 22, 2009 at 9:31 am

Bummerrrrr… I appreciate your honest review, though!! At least your other package was a success story! :)

Amanda December 22, 2009 at 9:40 am

Haha totally thought your soup was a big bowl of mustard!

Veggiesmack December 22, 2009 at 9:46 am

You kobacha soup looks great. I had some for the first time recently at a Japanese restaurant and it was awesome.

I don’t like bars that taste “green” or “earthy” either. Blech. I picked up a Think Green bar a while back . . . couldn’t even finish it.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) December 22, 2009 at 9:50 am

You are doing a good job of making more soups in your Vitamix! I could roll with that kabocha soup for sure, but it sounds like I ought to take a pass on the Vega bars. Oh well, I’ve never even gotten around to trying their smoothie mixes, which I hear are great. It’s hard to want to pay like $4 for just a single serving though!

theemptynutjar December 22, 2009 at 9:50 am

Heather, your description is really vivid :) You hold nothing back.
With all the free food you are getting, you won’t need to do any shopping!
I hope you and CD have a safe trip – I guess you are very fortunate to have no work over the holidays?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 10:16 am

Empty Nut, Nope, no work. I close up shop Christmas through New Years. :)

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 22, 2009 at 9:51 am

Thanks for the honest review on those bars! I’m not a fan of grass or dirt flavor either, so I think I’ll continue on my quest for a great bar. The soup and chicken/hummus meal looks delicious though!

ProteinGirl December 22, 2009 at 9:53 am

Hi Heather!
Vega is definitely an aquired taste. The BERRY flavor is the most popular (I am in the health industry and deal with these type of products daily). Vega has a really nice new pre-workout product, and are coming out with a new protein product in January. I use Whey Isolates myself, but I think that anyone who hates hemp protein should try the Vanilla Chai vega, or Progressives new Vegan Protein (berry). Thanks for the Vita Mix advice yesterday- it’s ordered! IN PLATINUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 10:17 am

Protein Girl, So excited about your Vita-Mix order! The Vanilla Chai sounds good – I’d give that a try, but no more “green” ones. Yuck.

Carolyn December 22, 2009 at 10:19 am

I simply HAVE to add a Vega bar to Paul’s stocking of “dirt bars” overload. Any suggestions on which one has the most special flavor… perhaps the chocolate decadence.. if, ya know, it’s like Amazing Dirt, his favorite… Need to pick up some nori hater friendly sushi at WFd’s on the way to the Christmas Eve family bash so hopefully they have the bars there and i can get them on the sly, for Santa to put in the stocking………sssshhhhhh..he might be reading comments… :-)

Travel safe tomorrow…

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 10:53 am

Carolyn, The green tasted the most like Amazing Dirt, but I think Paul would probably like the chocolate the best. :) Enjoy your sushi!!!!

Ameena December 22, 2009 at 10:22 am

Thanks for the Vega review…I have been checking them out. So glad now that I won’t waste my money!

eatmovelove December 22, 2009 at 10:23 am

Ugh – sign me up for this no-work please ;(…great review! Love your honesty haha!

Check out my AB balls on my site if you wish – mmm – no dirt there ;)

oh and love CD’s review too – priceless!

Mama Pea December 22, 2009 at 10:51 am

Yup, Vega has kind of been hit of miss for me. I like their powders much more than their bars.

Tight butt? Yes, please!!!

lora December 22, 2009 at 11:13 am

i really wanna eat chicken and hummus for breakie! so sad that those bars sucked. bleh. i hate wasting food, but my tastebuds are more important to me. hahaha

happy holidays!

lolo

Tiffany S. December 22, 2009 at 11:22 am

Have a fabulous getaway!

I’ve been having Kabocha in my smoothie every day – this morning’s was super delicious!

Waffle candle???? Sign me up!

Kristen December 22, 2009 at 11:23 am

Boo about the bars… They look really yummy!

Jenny December 22, 2009 at 11:32 am

thanks for the honest reviews, girl. There’s nothing more heart-breaking then a blech bar. wahhhh.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 22, 2009 at 11:32 am

FUnny about the kabocha soup- I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten a kabocha straight up. I always make it into soup. Maybe I need to see what its like plain.

What gives the vega the crunch? Pieces of wood? Shame b/c they look amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Deb, I think the crunch is from the sprouted seeds. Did LOOK good, huh? ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 22, 2009 at 11:33 am

PS that reminds me when my Dad went thru a health-nut phase when we were kids he bought bread that we re-named “Dirt Bread” :-D

Rose December 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

I’m not a fan of those bars either :( Thanks for your honest review!

Shelby December 22, 2009 at 11:41 am

Mmm, I love the kabocha soup! And what a lucky duck for receiving that package of goodies!

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write December 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

I am sure that soup tasted amazing, but… it looks like something else…

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Mrs. Myers, Hehe, I know. It has a greenish tint because I pureed the squash peel and all. :)

Gena December 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Your Kabocha squash soup looks totally scrumptious!

charlotte December 22, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Those bars sound awful – and I have a feeling that if you (the girl who will eat baker’s chocolate PLAIN) didn’t like them then I would really gag:) Will totally try your squash soup!! Question: Did throw the skin in the soup too or did you just use the flesh?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Charlotte, Skin and all. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Waffle candle, I’m with Tiff, sign me up!
“compressed dirt, grass, and sprouted buckwheat crunchy things. I like buckwheat, but I do not like dirt.”—I would concur. I wasnt quite that honest but yes, that’s my sentiments. I know alot of people just adore Vega. And I am ok with Amazing Grass, I actually love their powder, but the Vega protein type powders AND the bars…both have the extremely natural, dirt-like, gritty taste to me. Some people say it’s hemp, some say it’s the pea protein, not sure what it is but it’s just not something I can hang with.
I hope you and CD have an amazing time away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
And I saw and commented on your post on Lara’s last nite, love me the oyster sauce but it doesnt get along with my allergies. but the taste rocks :)

plamarie December 22, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I thought that was how the amazing grass-amazing meal tasted. ICK!! I loved the quinoa “fried rice”. Have safe travels ;)

Dawn December 22, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Hi Heather!
I love the vega berry flavor, and it is one of the
only gluten dairy sugar soy free protein powders
I know of! That makes more to love about it~
glad you tried to soup. Still wanting my
blend tec to make a better smoothie, but
not sure whether it is time to give up?!
xoxod
I want to read Heather the book now.
ONce a day is too few times for your
posts!!!!

Brooke December 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Great to hear a trusted review. Thanks! I had a random question about your protein ice cream. Can you just us Xanthan gum or do you need both that and guar gum? Not clear on how these two act different but have the Xanthan gum and protein powder so wanted to see if I could try it without the guar gum. Sounds so yummy it is hard to wait longer. Have a great day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Brooke, I know that Jenna (www.eatliverun.com) makes the protein ice-cream with just xanthan gum. I believe she uses 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Let me know if you try it. :)

Katie December 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Ahhh such a bummer about VEGA, I wanted to try them!

Happy Tuesday,

Katie

Meredith December 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Oooh sorry about the vega bars. I’m not a big fan of dirt either. Such a shame!

maren December 22, 2009 at 2:55 pm

soooo about these low lunges and twists for a tight booty… you go into a deep lunge and twist while youre down? or do i have that wrong?? thanks!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Maren, We to them in yoga class all the time. Low lunge with the knee of the back leg up, not resting on the ground, but keep the leg straight. Make sure to keep front leg knee OVER ankle not in front. Hands in prayer position. Lean torso forward over front leg and twist to right if right leg out in front with left elbow on right knee. With left leg out in front, twist left resting right elbow on left knee keeping hands in prayer at heart center. Hold for a tight butt. :)

chrysta December 22, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for the review. Ive seen these products but havent picked them up yet. I will probably wait on buying them now. The squash soup sounds amazing! I was going to ask about the squash skin too! But I read some above posts and found my answer. Its good to know that you can eat them too. For some reason I also was scooping out the flsh of the swquash and discarding the skins but Ive gonna just puree the whole thing up next time!! Have a fabulous holiday!

glidingcalm December 22, 2009 at 3:56 pm

BOO for a yucky bar!! i hate writing bad reviews! it is never fun!!

on the other hand, WOW! that soup!! such a vibrant color too!!!

always so much fun to visit your blog, HEAB!

FoodFitnessFreshair December 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Squash, or any veggie for that matter, put into a blender makes a great soup! I’m home right now and loving my parents’ Vitamix…my green smoothies are so, well, smooth!

And yes, lunges def. kill the booty. Mine is feeling it right now!

faith in food December 22, 2009 at 5:37 pm

i just did a soup post with you as an honoree, can definitely use a delicata in it!!!

those twins are super nice in person too!!!

Peanut Butter Bliss December 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I use that insta bake for my pancakes and they turn out perfect every time!! love it
thanks so much for your honest review :)

Emily GG December 22, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I LOVE Delicata!!! Its like a winter squash and a sweet potato fell in LOVE and made a baby and named it Delicata!! I like to cut mine in half so the two halves are long, scoop out the seeds, and bake it cut side down at about 400 degrees until cooked, about 30 minutes.

candice December 22, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Bok choy flatbread?! 8O That caught my interest. I guess if it can be done with spinach, then it can also be done with other greens? That green synergy bar looks kind of like dirt, to be honest. I mean, if it’s not chocolate, then why is it so dark? o_o

That kabocha soup looks sooo good.

Emily December 22, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas, Heather!
I’m super sore from a good yoga session the other day, too. Love it. :-)

tosha25italia December 22, 2009 at 7:39 pm

thanks for your honesty on the bars!
your meals look lovely!

yogiclarebear December 22, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I’m so excited for you to try delicata. I grew it in my garden by the way! :)

Glad you liked the package Heather. From the beginning of my blog and my interest in the blog world, you have been one of the most important inspirations. Thankyou, happy Christmas and safe travels!

Ashlei December 22, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Delicata squash is sooo good! Hope you enjoy :)

PeonyJen December 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Well, that’s an easy enough Kabocha recipe! I’ve been making kabocha bisque with coconut milk and apples in the last few months; I will definitely try your very easy recipe…it looks very rich!
Tomorrow, I am making kabocha squash hummus. Did I get that recipe here? I probably did!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm

PeonyJen, Nope, no kabocha squash hummus here, but definitely sounds like something I would love!

Melissa S. December 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm

boo hizzle on the bar. sorry that didn’t work out. you going to be in az again like last year? i’ll be there too! yay!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Melissa, Yes! When will you be there? Eating Bender, myself, and 2 others are meeting up for a hike + lunch on the 27th. Will you be in town? Would love to see you again!

Katie December 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Delicata is great – a very delicate taste (hehe). For some reason I jsut knew you were going to post something about kabocha today. Probably because I haven’t found it at my parents. But I haven’t given up yet!

Cherie December 23, 2009 at 5:52 am

Bummer about the bars….I’ve never been able to get use to the raw bar taste. I also appreciate the honesty! Hope you & CD have a safe trip and a very Merry Christmas with the family!!

PeonyJen December 23, 2009 at 10:21 am
Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2009 at 5:55 pm
Ashlei December 23, 2009 at 10:36 am

I made some Kabocha soup this morning for breakfast after seeing you and CCV both make it! That stuff was soooo good! :) Definitely will have to make it again!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 23, 2009 at 11:23 am

I couldn’t find the recipe for Bok Choy Flatbread on the Raw2Pure website. Is it something they posted?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Heather, I don’t think they’ve posted the bok choy flatbread recipe. I tried to find as well to link back but could not.

Mary (Food Fit & Fun) December 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I have never had Kabocha…I have been seeing it everywhere on the blogs! WHat is your favorite way to prepare it?? The soup looks SO thick…I LOVE thick soup though! I really should give it a shot!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Mary, I wrote about all about kabocha in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/15/gettin-krazy-with-kabocha/ and here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/12/02/having-trouble-finding-kabocha/ .

I love eating it pureed with rice protein powder and cinnamon or roasting thin strips of kabocha in a 425 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes plain. Yum!

Beth December 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Heather, I am totally out of jay Robb. Any ideas where to get him cheap?
Merry Christmas!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Beth, Ahhh, tragedy! I buy my Jay from the office where I work. Whenever people ask where they can buy it, I always direct them to Jay Robb online: http://www.jayrobb.com.

ohhmay December 23, 2009 at 6:58 pm

He he HEABs… I love your reviews. You’re SO honest in the best way!! :-D :-D

ilanalala December 24, 2009 at 2:12 am

I spy Yogi tea! My fave. Merry Christmas!

Erin December 24, 2009 at 9:19 am

It wouldn’t be right if those bars tasted good…I mean, look at them!
Can I just say I’m glad that was the bad news and not something more serious!

{ 3 trackbacks }