The Loves of My Life

by HEAB on December 30, 2009

Reason 547 Why I Love My In-Laws: They think nothing of me eating the following for dinner…

The remainder of our roasted Santa pureed with a little water, BEST CINNAMON EVER, and vanilla Jay Robb rice protein powder in not one, but two jars smeared with Deb’s OMG OMG OMG nut butter.

Why I love Beeks: One word – granola ! Mark my words folks, the girl is going to be famous one day. :)

Yesterday’s lunch: Chocolate protein pancakes made with 2 TBSP oat bran and topped with Beek’s granola, Deb’s Holy Mole nut butter, and prickly pear jam.

Why I love Deb & Derek (her Luvie): After 3 days of battling the Swine Flu and living on crackers, CD was once again hungry for veggies and bacon. My hubby is back, and thanks to Deb and Derek’s generous gift of British bacon, CD was a very happy boy. :)

Why I love April from Foods of April: Instead of birthday cake on her birthday (December 25), she made protein ice-cream in the peanut butter jar.

IMG_0383-290x300.jpg

How cute is she?

IMG_0386-300x225.jpg

Now, that’s my kind of cake! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY APRIL!

OK, off to finish packing, hoping to squeeze in a Dave Farmar yoga podcast (inspired by Beek’s very cool yoga video) and then it’s off to the airport to catch our flight home to Nashville.

Later Gators!

DiningAndDishing December 30, 2009 at 9:51 am

I have to say – that birthday “cake” looks pretty delicious to me!! HBD April!! :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Evan Thomas December 30, 2009 at 9:53 am

April’s ice cream concoction looks delicious!

homecookedem December 30, 2009 at 9:59 am

Glad to hear CD’s feeling better!!

Adorable birthday girl with her protein ice cream!!

Erica December 30, 2009 at 10:01 am

Your in laws totally rock :) Love it. Have a safe safe trip home

eaternotarunner December 30, 2009 at 10:02 am

Those protein pancakes look awesome!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle December 30, 2009 at 10:06 am

I have enjoyed reading all of your blogs about the blogger meet-up :) It definately looks like you all had fun.

Danielle December 30, 2009 at 10:11 am

I loveeee homemade granola (so much better than store-bought!) Glad CD is feeling better :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 30, 2009 at 10:29 am

Oh yay for the loves of your life- how honored to be a part of it. It was totally Derek’s idea and his obsession to get the bacon for CD. He was a man on a mission at Fresh & Easy- so cute- Bonding over Bacon- hee hee! :-)

Yum on the birthday Ice cream- love the topping too- they look like PB chips! nom.

Safe travels my friend! I know you can’t wait to be reunited with Einstein & Radley. Much love to you & CD. And again- much thanks to Alice for all of her mesquite that I will totally experiment with when things settle a bit!

<3 <3 <3

Pure2Raw twins December 30, 2009 at 10:32 am

Love homemade granola… though I typically do mine with no oats just nuts and seeds! :) Hope your travels go well!!!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 30, 2009 at 10:35 am

That’s when you know it’s really love :)

Runeatrepeat December 30, 2009 at 10:43 am

My in-laws think I’m weird for not eating meat, I can’t imagine how they would react if I busted out that jar!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama December 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

That ice cream looks amazing!

MarathonVal December 30, 2009 at 11:08 am

I loved reading such a positive post! :)

Have a wonderful day, Heather!

Tiffany S. December 30, 2009 at 11:08 am

Glad CD is on the mend. My brother-in-law seems to have it now, and he’s NEVER sick. Sucks to be sick on vacation!

Safe travels home!

psychoj1 December 30, 2009 at 11:19 am

Cute post :) April is just too much :)

<3 jess

Marisa (Loser for Life) December 30, 2009 at 11:19 am

I love your jar creations!

That salad looks beautiful, too! Everything is better with bacon, right CD?!

jenngirl December 30, 2009 at 11:37 am

Glad CD is feeling a bit better–hope you guys have a safe trip home! :)

Ameena December 30, 2009 at 11:44 am

Glad your hubby is better…your in-laws rock! How often can one make that statement! :)

Jentree December 30, 2009 at 11:47 am

So….I’m new to your blog..is there a post that explains why so many of you bloggers are eating out of nut butter jars all the time!? I’m very interested to know how this got started.
Thanks!! I enjoy your blog :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 30, 2009 at 11:50 am

Jentree, It all started with this post…

You must try eating from the waning nut butter jar. Best bowl there is!

Meghan Telpner December 30, 2009 at 11:56 am

Cute! Love, after all, is appreciation without expectation… almond butter and all!

Paula December 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Oh Heather! You and those exploding jars of goodness! You never cease to amaze me ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 30, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Your pancakes look to die for! Glad CD is much better now.

april December 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Aww thanks for featuring me on HEAB :D

Your pancakes look awesome! I just ate some protein ice cream post work out and now you have me craving pancakes.. I just might have to make them now!

Have a safe trip home!

Sagan December 30, 2009 at 1:01 pm

That’s an awesome “birthday cake”. It looks tasty. Think I’ll have to take a leaf out of her book!

Carolyn December 30, 2009 at 1:09 pm

…i would totally sponsor you in a competitve kabocha eating contest.. they would never suspect you … and that dinner picture.. when i returned home from grocery shopping frezing this morning, inspired me to make a look alike jar full… minus the OMGOMGOMG…but with protein powder and pumpkin pie Torani… and it was perfect…. 17 degrees out there…

I’m running dangerously low on frozen kabocha puree… :-o

Carolyn December 30, 2009 at 1:10 pm

well that symbol face above was not what i was expecting it to look like.. more like this… :-(

Abby December 30, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Beek sent me some of her granola a month or so ago so I totally understand your obsession. I devoured her bag in approx. one day.. soooo freaking good!! I wish she would start selling it! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) December 30, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I think April and I would be good friends. Forget the birthday cake–just bring me a mug (or 2) full of ice cream!

eatmovelove December 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Safe travels.

I’m loving the look of that bacon…mmm…smelling it from cafeteria all day at work. Time to get some soon I imagine :) sorry to the vegger’s out there ;)

Bekah December 30, 2009 at 4:22 pm

You totally beat me to the protein pancake punch! Ahh Heather I was gonna make your protein coconut flour pancakes this Friday, but with cocoa and top it with Deb’s holy mole nut butter. :) Hehe Still going to do it, but you beat me. (Great minds think alike.)

Thanks for the shout out! And gaaahh those jars of kabocha! (Sorry Deb! I’m gonna comment on the kabocha!) I can never seem to be overflowing in a jar like yours. Same with protein ice cream. Had some in a sunbutter jar today, it barely made it to the top. Obviouslyyy, I’m not making enough!

Jenn (eating bender) December 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Those jars of overflowing goodness make me smile :) How could your in-laws not love you, Heather? Your creativity and zest for all things food are out of this world!

Love Bekah and Deb — love their generous gifts, too! I can’t wait to dig in. Also, that creative protein ice cream birthday “cake” from April is simply amazing.

Hope you are well and that you have a fabulous NYE! Glad to hear that CD is feeling better. When are you heading home?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 31, 2009 at 11:33 am

Jenn, We got into Nashville late last night. It’s in the 30′s and raining. Missing AZ already. :(

theemptynutjar December 30, 2009 at 6:34 pm

My roomies eat bacon all the time! I smell it 24-7 :)
The granola looks good too…and the OMG nut butter!
Hope your trip is safe.

Samantha December 30, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Hope you guys have enjoyed your Christmas travels, minus CD being sick. Poor guy!

All the eats as always look amazing, and the time spent with friends and family even better.

Happy New Year to the HEAB fam!

Light Delight with Tou Tou December 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Sweet idea! I would love to have that peanut jar cake :-P

ohhmay December 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Aww, your inlaws seem so sweet! Haha I love the double jar action for breakfast- and the pancakes!!! Oh myyyy… where did you find prickly pear jam?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 31, 2009 at 11:36 am

ohhmay, My mother-in-law had it in her fridge. She makes her own prickly pear juice too. It’s common in the Southwest, but definitely can’t find anything like that in Nashville.

Katie December 30, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Kristy December 30, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Speaking of kabocha….I finally went to K & S today in search of one of those babies. They had buttercup & butternut. I bought a buttercup because it looked like the kabocha. Is it indeed the same thing??

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 31, 2009 at 11:35 am

Kristy, Very similar. I have found that K&S puts their kabocha and buttercup together under the “buttercup” label. So, you probably bought a kabocha. Was it labeled with a sticker?

Katie December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I still haven’t tried the kabocha in a jar. I am eating some on toast as I type this though!

chrysta December 31, 2009 at 12:36 am

The granola and protein pancakes look so awesome!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 31, 2009 at 3:14 am

I’ve been up for 26 hrs. I am truly insane. Get home after 3+ weeks away, go groc shopping at 1am, unpack everyone, do the mail, and then crack the google reader. Yes, I love my bloggie friends :) Glad CD is better and April is tooo cute. And Beek’s granola is toooo good :) I hear ya!

Emily December 31, 2009 at 9:41 am

haha! Too funny!

Ice cream for my birthday too please! ;)

Deva (voracious Vorilee) December 31, 2009 at 10:12 am

Your pancakes always look fab and make me want to eat pancakes drizzled in syrup and dolloped with greek yogurt!

marla December 31, 2009 at 11:50 am

I love that your in-laws r cool about your fab eating habits. I sometimes wonder why people don’t get why i like to eat my own cooking….even while away on vacation! Thanks for the cinnamon tip, I use cinnamon all the time and I always like to try new ones. Love the birthday cake in a jar. Happy New Year!! U r awesome :)

Kristy December 31, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Nope, no label. I’ll just pretend that’s what it is :)

Lele December 31, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Your dinner looks like my awesome messy childhood cooking experiments! Aw, I miss those.