Happy 2010!!!!

by HEAB on January 1, 2010

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve. I spent it with my family eating yummy food (Why do I only eat rutabagas once a year when my mom fixes them? Need to buy some for myself. Love them!), watching Four Christmases (Robert Duvall = hilarious), and playing Apples to Apples . I had my camera but did not take one photo. :( Poor CD stayed at home on the couch but managed to go on a short run today. So, he’s definitely feeling better. Thanks again for all your well wishes. My family draws names for presents, and my dad got me. He gave me a set of pots and pans after watching me scatter veggies while trying to make a stir-fry in our too-small skillet. Thanks Dad! It’s perfect. :)

Big announcement: I don’t hate raw kale after all.

After a New Year’s Day 2-hour vinyasa flow yoga class earlier this afternoon, I came home craving some veggies. Beeks inspired me to give raw kale another try. So, I did, and I liked it. I want to try her tahini massage kale salad, but today I went with several handfuls of kale, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 packet of stevia, 1 heaping tsp miso paste, and juice from 1/2 a lemon. Then I went to town massaging the greens with my hands until they wilted. Um, this was delicious. Why did I think I hated raw kale? Thanks Beeks!

A big shout-out to Alex over at Happy Go Lucky for my wonderful Secret Santa Blogger gift sent all the way from Canada…

Thanks Alex! Your savory roasted almonds (made with soy sauce, sesame oil, rosemary, and salt) are soooo good, and I love the scarf and little penguin. I named him Alfred. I’m hoping to make almond butter from the almonds…if I can stop eating them.

Before I go, I wanted to share an award I recently received from Allie, my favorite pimp. ;)

beautifulbloggeraward_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Allie for awarding me with this Beautiful Blogger Award. Love Allie – have y’all seen her arms? I covet them. In the sprit of the award, I now have to share 7 random things about myself with all of you. So, here goes:

1) I can’t whistle.

2) I drive a 1997 Honda Accord, and I love my car. As long as the sun roof and CD player works, I’m happy. :)

3) My favorite movie is Say Anything, and Lloyd Dobler will always hold a special place in my heart.

4) I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue.

5) Tuscany is one of my most favorite places on earth. It’s magical, and did you know the gelato served there is calorie free? ;)

6) I have completed 20+ half marathons, 1 full marathon (NYC), and 1 50K trail race. 50K…bad idea!

7) I turn 34 tomorrow. Eeekkkk!!!!

I hereby pass this on to all my fellow beloved bloggers. Here’s to a fantastic 2010!!!

Dori January 1, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Love your facts! I can’t whistle either. I didn’t know you ran in so many races or that you ran NYC Marathon — that is amazing! Do you have pics? I cannot believe you are 34 — I thought you were so much younger!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Dori, I do have running pics. I need to scan and post them someday. Yep, 34. I feel old!

ELENA January 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Happy b-day! I am turning 34 in 3 weeks and I am feeling fabulous, so YEA!

Shelby January 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I think I hate raw kale, but then I go to my fav raw restaurant and it’s just soooo good. I wish I knew their secret for delicious kale salads.

34? You don’t look a day over 27!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I love your
“Big announcement: I don’t hate raw kale after all.”

I eat a massaged (or not really massaged but drizzled LOL) kale salad nightly. I use my brock slaw dressing and hot diggity, it makes me sooo happy! Along with other veggies. I eat it daily. Beeks and I have privately discussed this…that we eat massaged kale every day and it becomes like, we eat this all the time, should we post it? Aren’t people sick of it yet? LOL I just posted another kale pic today. Like I do almost every other day hahah! But I am so glad you’ve come over To This Side.

And the Secret Santa’s…you’d think that my reading 50 blogs a day, I couldn’t have missed that one. Well, I did. As I’ve told my other friends, if you see it again next year, holla please! :)

Happy 2010!!!!! Great award answers too :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm

p.s. Haha, Beek’s page that you linked, I just went to it…and from that page, she links to me. So see, I really do eat this all the time LOL :)

missyrayn January 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’m sure CD loves that you can tie the cherry stem in a knot…Hunni likes that I can ;-)

I’d like to run at least one marathon in my life but a 50K sounds like insanity.

kbwood January 1, 2010 at 5:43 pm

aww happy early bday heather!

Sagan January 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I saw Four Christmases for the first time this year and it was so cute!

I’m jealous of your cherry stem abilities, Heather :) Happy tomorrow birthday!

jenngirl January 1, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Glad CD is feeling better. And score on new pots and pans! I need cookware badly.

I love Say Anything too, it’s such an underrated classic I think. Happy early birthday, and seriously, age is just a number ;)

Heather January 1, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Massaged kale salad is the only way I can handle raw kale (or in green juice, yet I hate it in green smoothies?) — yours looks especially great! I’m convinced tahini+kale+cherry tomatoes+hemp seeds = magical. Happy early birthday to you!

Danielle January 1, 2010 at 6:08 pm

You completed a 50K?? I knew you used to run…but WOW. I can’t believe you’re turning 34- you look so young! Happy almost birthday :)

Pure2Raw Twins January 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

We LOVE massaged kale salads as well! So happy to hear that you enjoy them too, we eat them all the time! We find it hard to believe that you are turning 34 tomorrow…..you do not look it! We thought you were in your late twenties. :)

Abby January 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Happy 2010, Heather AND early birthday.. how exciting. Enjoy it to the fullest! :)

psychoj1 January 1, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Happy Birthday, HEAB! Well, almost ;) That kale looks great. I have never had kale. Need to get on that!
<3 jess
xoxo

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm

how cute are you? happy early birthday! hope you have a wonderful evening and an even better 2010 :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 1, 2010 at 6:24 pm

OK FIRST, Happy pre-birthday! I can’t believe I didn’t remember it when you told me at b-fast the other day! Gah. Guess I was just too dang excited to have spent the entire 2 days having fun with you to commit numbers to memory!

And, yes, having seen you in person you look like someone in your 20s- MID 20s to be honest.

OK, sounds like there can’t be THAT many crazy people out there- it sounds like when you massage the salad it somehow softens it or “ferments”? it?????? I’ll give it a try. I’m not one to poo-poo without giving it an honest try!

Hugs to CD who is OBVI on the mend!! :-? As in: oh I’m sick as a dog. Well, actually I think I’ll run 10 miles, bye! Must have been the bacon sarnie.

Deirdre January 1, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Happy Early B-day! I just had to comment because Say Anything is definitely my favorite movie. I am single and I always joke with my friends that if they could just find me a guy like Lloyd Dobler I would be set.

‘I gave her my heart. She gave me a pen.’

Shirley @ gfe January 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday, Heather! It’s my son’s birthday tomorrow, too. :-) He’ll be 22.

I love kale in green smoothies, but haven’t eaten it raw yet. Seems like a good thing to try for 2010. Your raw kale salad looks very good! I need to make kale chips, also.

xo,
Shirley

Erin January 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I want to marry Lloyd Dobler, for ever and always. Swoon! I’ve always tried to tie the stem with my tongue! Great things Heaber. Glad to hear CD is feeling better! Happy New Years Heab!

Haley January 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Heather, happy birthday. I want to comment on your post yesterday (I’ve been behind in my reading). Thank you so much for that. I get caught up in the blogs fads too and I realize it is really silly. I feel overwhelmed with all the protein ice cream and green smoothies. Their just not me and I can’t make myself change. But I know now that I don’t NEED to. I can have my dairy ice cream. Thank you for reminding me of that. My family always have their “comments” when I eat 2 cups of brussels and tater fries with 8 oz of salmon in a meal. They always say “you are eating 1.5 servings of fish there, or more honey, don’t you think you should – “. And when I have ice cream for dessert, they say “don’t you think you should have (blank) instead –” Thanks for reminding me to be true to me and no one else!
Happy 2010 Heather. (I love Apples to Apples too!)

Veggiesmack January 1, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I have had some untasty experiences with kale, so I’m always afraid to try it again. Maybe I should give your salad a go!

Happy birthday!

ProteinGirl January 1, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Happy early Birthday Heather! You definitely deserve the Beautiful Blogger Award~ you are stunning and beautiful inside and out! Just wanted to ask if you have ever played Celebrity Chef! The Game,What’s Cooking, Foodie Fight, or Reveal Entertainment Food Lovers Trivia Game (http://www.amazon.com/Reveal-Entertainment-Food-Lovers-Trivia/dp/B000CL3Q7Q/ref=pd_sbs_t_2).

Glad CD is feeling better! I wish you such a fantastic day tomorrow!!! My birthday is in January too (in Calgary it is about -27C- not fun).

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm

ProteinGirl, Never played it, but thanks for the link. I think…no, I know I would love that game! Now I just need to find some foodies to play it with me. :) Happy Birthday month to you? How’s your Vita????

Rachel January 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Happy early birthday!

Maybe I should put kale on my list of foods to try in 2010. I’m trying to branch out, but it can be so scary :/ .

thenheathersaid January 1, 2010 at 7:04 pm

love the gift Alex sent you! Was so glad to have you be a part of the bloggie secret santa swap!

Trail January 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I’ve never tried kale before to my knowledge, but I’m very curious to try it. I hear so many people rave about massaged kale. Ok, but a quick question– do you massage the kale with your bare hands and then toss it into the rest, or do you throw all of it into a baggie and then massage it through the bag? I think kale may go on my next grocery list.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Trail, I simply remove the amount of kale I wanted from the bag (I buy pre washed and chopped) and then add my ingredients and massage away with bare hands. Then insert fork and eat. The massaging wilts the kale – makes it taste like you cooked it because it’s not so hard, crunchy, or bitter.

Trail January 1, 2010 at 7:06 pm

P.S. Happy New Year!

LZ January 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm

yay happy new year Heather! Your running record is fantastically incredible! and being able to tie a cherry stem in a knot with your tongue might just be the most unique trick ever. awesome.

sending you best wishes for 2010 and beyond!

Carolyn January 1, 2010 at 7:15 pm

wow i thought i was impressive cause i can take a match out of a pack and light it with my bare feet… gona have to try the cherry thing..

Enjoy being 34…soon it will be a memory and you will remember fondly how young you were..

HBD HEAB

Mish January 1, 2010 at 7:16 pm

20+ that’s amazing. that’s 10 marathons…wowzers!

Happy Birthday from Australia..cause it’s your b-day here :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Awesome, thanks Mish. :)

Tina January 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Well here it’s already the 2nd of January!

So Happy Birthday, Heather! (Mwahahha, being up late and in a different time zone makes me the first person to officially congratulate you on your special day)

And I just gots to say, you look fabulous! If I’m fated to age anything like you, I’m looking forward to 34!

Lots of love,

Tina

P.S. Happy New Year!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Tina! Happy New Year to you as well…now go get some sleep. :)

Carbzilla January 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Happy Birthday, lovely Heather!!!!

I’m 34 too!

If you transpose the numbers…and photograph me with a vaseline lens!

I hope you have the best year ever. I think 34′s gonna be a really great year for you!

(more healing vibes to CD!)

Lindsay January 1, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I love apples to apples! Such a fun game :) Happy New Year HEAB!

Marcia January 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Happy Birthday!

I have to say that I thought of you this holiday. My hubby and kiddo and I took a train (23 hours!) to Santa Fe, NM for several days. We did one day wandering along Canyon Road and the art galleries. Only went into two because of the kiddo (he was having too much fun in the snow).

One gallery had these BEAUTIFUL paintings of veggies. My vegetarian friend, knowing that I know my veggies from the CSA, pointed to one and said “what do you think THAT is?”

I said, “well, funny you ask. I read this blog of a woman who is somewhat obsessed with kabocha squash, and I do believe that’s it.”

Even the gallery worker did not know, and he was compelled to look it up. He said “you’re right! I always wondered…”

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Marcia, See, HEAB isn’t just about odd recipes and yoga…there is a bit of culture thrown in the mix as well. :)

Katie January 1, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I am board game junkie, and Apples to Apples is one of my favorties! I still need to try massaged kale. It honestly just sounds like too much work, though I am sure it isn’t (I’m lazy…)

Happy birthday! You don’t look a day over 25! ;)

The Fit Collegiate January 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Happy (early) birthday, Heather, and a happy New Year’s! What a better way to kick off the New Year than with good food, Apples to Apples (best game everr!), and a nice long yoga class??

Evan Thomas January 1, 2010 at 7:52 pm

5-7 Were great facts. Happy almost birthday!

Meghan Telpner January 1, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Happy Happy Birthday!

Lauren January 1, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Holy cow girl, that is quite a commendable race list. 20 1/2 marathons!! That’s awesome. :)

Heather, I wish you the most amazing things in this year. Not only do you get to start a year off fresh but you also get to begin it with a whole new age! Now that’s pretty cool.

Happy New Year, and HAPPY HAPPY Birthday! :) Sending you all things wonderful. :)

Claire January 1, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Yay!!Happy new decade and HAPPY HAPPY Birthday!!My Bday is on the 12th…
33yrs:-).I do love me some Lloyd Dobbler,too.He’s so cute and awkward at times.cc

Carrie @ I See Monsters January 1, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Say Anything is one of my favorite films of all time! I can pretty much quote the entire thing. ;)

Happy New Year!

april January 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I still haven’t tried kale! It kind of scares me.. I hear it’s bitter!

Happy early birthday!! I can’t wait to see what your birthday treat will be.. possibly protein ice cream in a pb jar? ;)

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Happy Birthday Week! You know you have to celebrate the entire week, don’t you?!!! ;)

I can’t whistle either. And 50 miles?!!!??!!!!! Wow! I truly can’t even imagine…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Andrea, Thanks – I’ll tell CD that we have to celebrate all week. :)

The trail race was a 50K – so 31 miles.

Rina January 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Hi Heather!
First of all, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Your beautiful kabocha creations inspired me to go out and buy some.. it’s delicious!! It is the best tasting squash because it is so sweet and more starchier and less stringy than other squashes… I was just wondering if you knew what the nutrition information was for the squash? I looked online, but I have a hard time believing that it is really ONLY 30 calories for 85 grams…or when I weighed my HUGE piece, only 120ish calories for something so filling and delicious! I am also a big butternut squash eater (or was!) and it supposedly has more calories than kabocha even though kabocha is much more starchier…
I was just curious to see if you (as the kabocha queen) knew what the nutrition was? I’m thinking it’s closer to the nutrition of a potato?
Thanks!
And congrats on your achievements!
I am going to try your protein “ice cream” and ALL your kabocha creations!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Rina, I have discussed the nutritional info. of kabocha with several others, and I have to agree with you. There is simply no way that 1 cup equals 30 calories. That would mean that my huge jars of pureed kabocha only contain about 60 to 90 calories and that kabocha is less calorically dense than an apple?!? I just don’t believe it, but everything I can find regarding kabocha calories says the same thing. One of my readers has a theory that it contains 15 calories per cooked ounce which seems a bit more accurate to me, but who knows. I’m going to just keep on believing it’s only 30 calories per cup. :) Thanks for reading and enjoy your protein ice-cream!

Brynne January 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm

We share a birthday! I hope you have a great one tomorrow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Happy birthday Brynne!!!

Maggie January 1, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Happy New Year and Happy Early Birthday!

I played apple to apples last night for the first time… very fun :)

eatmovelove January 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Happy Happy Birthday Heather – and 34 is young! Hey 40′s are the new 30′s now, and 50′s the new 40′s…etc…:). Never played Apples to Apples, but it seems super popular! Can’t wait to read about more of your creations in the New Year!

And 2-hour Vinyasa?! Holy crap girl.

Jessica January 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Happy birthday week! :)

Mama Pea January 1, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Yes! Raw kale gets such a bad wrap. My goal for 2010 is to make it the new iceberg lettuce. Not really. That’d be an impossible resolution.

You are older than me?!? I had no idea! Maybe I need more yoga and almond butter in my life. (I too love Say Anything!)

Happy Birthday, you wonderful girl!

daintyvegan January 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Ugh, kale. I’ve tried it a few times but so far haven’t liked it which actually really disappoints me. I know it’s packed full of healthy vitamins and minerals.. I guess I just need to find a way to prepare it that I like.

Hehe, I can do the cherry thing too! It can entertain me for hours, doing whatever I’m doing while attempting to tie the cherry stem into a knot. Love it!

chrysta January 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Love your facts!!! Happy Birthday!!!!

Lara (Thinspired) January 2, 2010 at 12:59 am

I loved Four Christmases! Did you catch Tim McGraw in that? Hehe…loved the whole “$10 gift limit” scene!

Happy Early Birthday! Actually, where you are, it is already your big day :) I hope you have an extra glob of almond butter to celebrate!

Oh yeah, I’ve had that calorie-free gelato. It’s kind of like the fat-free croissants of Paris, right? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

Lara, Yes, did notice Tim McGraw. The scenes at Vince Vaugn’s father’s house were definitely my favorite. Hilarious, and yes those fat-free *croissants pain au chocolat are so yummy. ;) *

lena January 2, 2010 at 2:48 am

Happy 2010 Heather! looking forward to reading more of your blog! :P

thanks for the yoga tips! :)

And HAppy Birthday!

Gina January 2, 2010 at 5:42 am

Happy 2010 Heather!! I love Apples to Apples, sounds like a good time :)

ohhmay January 2, 2010 at 6:19 am

Happy Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday Heather! Happy Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday Heather!!!!! :-D

Allie (Protein Girl) January 2, 2010 at 6:25 am

Your lifestyle agrees with you. You don’t look old enough to have seen Star Wars at the Drive-In! Didn’t you practice on raw kale at massage school?

Thanks for the compliment. You may borrow my guns at any time.

Gena January 2, 2010 at 7:25 am

She doesn’t hate raw kale!!! Hooorah!!!

And happy 2010, baby.

Susan January 2, 2010 at 7:52 am

Dude, happy freakin’ birthdaaaay!!! Will you be doing protein ice cream in a jar a la April? :P Also, High Fidelity is my fave movie, John Cusack can do no wrong in my eyes. Hope you’re having a wonderful day :D

theemptynutjar January 2, 2010 at 8:13 am

Happy birthday HEAB. There needs to be more people like you in the world —people who realize all they have and do not complain and are thankful for it. Have a wonderful b-day and well wishes to CD.

Kelly January 2, 2010 at 8:17 am

Happy birthday! Wow, I am impressed with all the races you’ve done! 50K…crazy!

rungirlrunn January 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Happy birthday!! Wow 20+ half marathons is quite an accomplishment! I can’t whistle either ;)

Ashlei January 2, 2010 at 9:59 am

Massaged kale salads are one of my favorites salads. I used to think I didn’t like raw kale either. It just depends on how you dress it up!

And Say Anything is definitely one of the BEST movies!

Happy Birthday HEAB’s!!

fitandfortysomething January 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

Happy Birthday! Wow you look great for turning 34!

Holly January 2, 2010 at 10:21 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEABS! UMMMM 34? NEVER EVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED. I WAS THINKING MORE ALONG THE LINES OF 28 :)

AND I DON’T KNOW WHY I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS – IT MUST BE BECAUSE ITS YO BIRFDAY! HAVE A GREAT, FABULOUS, RELAXING AND ENJOYABLE DAY!!!

lisa January 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!
Wishing you a year of great health and much happiness… you deserve it.
P.S. I thought you were in your 20s too–
Enjoy your special day — Lisa

homecookedem January 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!!!!! :)

Whit January 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

Happy birthday on your birthday! ;)

*Andrea* January 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS :) !!!

N.D. January 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Happy birthday! That is a lot of half marathons! Congrats! :)
Love the pancakes and thanks for the great recipes that you share!

Trail January 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the kale massaging tip!

Bekah January 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Heather!!! Yaaaayyyy. 34 is so not old by the way. I’d have guessed you were 29, 30 TOPS anyhow. ;) ;)

Yayy for kale! So glad you found a way to like it. Honestly, lots of veggies need a little love to be loved! Like the Food Network teaches America… covering a casserole pan of broccoli with bread crumbs, butter and cheese will get the kids to eat it. I’m just glad I don’t need melted cheese to make me like something.

baroque diva January 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Raw kale salads are THE BEST!!! It’s hard to find in Boston in the winter, though. We also got Apples to Apples for Christmas and it was sooooooo much fun! Oh, it’s the wrong post to comment on, but HAPPY BDAY!

{ 2 trackbacks }