My Throat Isn't The Only Thing That's Sore

by HEAB on January 5, 2010

My armpits are so freaking sore from all those push-ups yesterday, and my booty is cursing me. I think it was the burpees. :)

Today’s workout will consist of 45 minutes of intervals on the stationary bike. I haven’t done it yet as I woke up feeling not so hot. My voice is gone, and I am definitely dealing with a head cold. It’s not in my chest, and so I think I’m fine to exercise. I’m just waiting until later, hoping I’ll feel more energetic, and I probably won’t push myself too hard. We shall see.

Many of you requested a glimpse into my eating this month. Since I’m working with an online personal trainer and doing more strength training, I thought it would be a good idea to continue eating a higher protein diet. I started cutting back on my grain consumption over 2 months ago, hoping it would help with some hormone imbalances I was having. You can read about it here. From what I can tell, it didn’t help with the hormone stuff, but I do feel better overall. I didn’t lose any weight or anything as that was not the plan, (However, I won’t lie. Wouldn’t been too sad about dropping a pound or two.) but I do feel more energetic and not so carb heavy. Sometimes after a big bowl of oats, I just feel so lethargic and bloated. In fact, yesterday’s carb laden breakfast was the first in a while, and I’d do again in a heartbeat. So good! Again, I’m not doing no carb, I’m just trying not to eat oat bran for breakfast, lunch, and dinner…which I’ve been known to do. Anyway, back to this month, I might try doing the smaller meals with protein throughout the day. I’m usually a 3 meal-a-day kind of gal, but I love experimenting with my eats. Maybe I’ll blog a whole day of food once a week or something. Not sure what the plan is. What would you like to see? How about we start with yesterday’s lunch? :)

I met up with 2 of my favorite girls for some veggie eats at The Wild Cow, a new vegetarian restaurant in Nashville. Veggie options are slim pickins around here, and I was so excited to finally try this place!

Me, Tonya, and Rayna. Scarf from Deb, check!

For my meal, I ordered the Hummus Plate with a side of tempeh. Any restaurant that serves tempeh as a side item receives the HEAB stamp of approval.

T’was tasty. The only thing I would change is the celery. I’m just not a fan, and would much rather have some steamed or roasted veggies instead…or just more chips. :) Thanks to The Wild Cow for opening in Nashville! I hope to visit often.

In other news…

You can click here to become a fan of HEAB on Facebook. The link wasn’t cooperating yesterday.

Please click here to read all about my favorite product discoveries of 2009 over at I Ate A Pie.

The winner of Leonie’s Goddess Guidebook is Claire. Congrats Claire! I will forward your info to Leonie, and she will email your Guidebook.

Many thanks to Marisa for awarding me with the Happy 101 Blog Award. Thanks Marisa!

Happy_101.jpg

The reward requires me to list 10 things that make me happy. So, I’ll leave you with my list…

1) When CD calls me “Heather Pie”

2) God’s grace

3) The look on my pups’ faces when I walk through the door

4) A yoga class with Jessalynn, my favorite teacher at my favorite studio

5) Sunshine

6) The fact that Lost will be back on TV next month

7) A good book, the kind that you never want to put down, and you’re sad when you finish it

8) Pedicures*

9) Jeans that don’t show too much crack

10) Pancakes :)

*Ha, ha, just noticed that when you type the number 8 followed by a closed parenthesis, it turns into a smiley with sunglasses. Awesome. 8)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Those burpees will do it! Love them. :)

Mama Pea January 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

Oh so much to say! I’d gladly you trade you some chips for that celery…we’d make good lunch companions.

I too am looking to increase my protein intake (my body just seems to function better and leaner with more) while I pick up the weights workouts. It’s just a little bit more difficult for me without meat or dairy :(

I’m finally caught up on LOST and can’t wait until it starts again! I’ve seen every episode since the beginning. Is it possible to be equally in love with Jack and Sawyer? The answer is YES.

And I love that God’s grace is on your list of loves. At church Sunday, a lot of the scripture and songs we read included the word “grace” and it was the only way I could get Gigi to pay attention!!!

Have a good day and feel better!

Susan January 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

You three ladays look so cute! And I’m all for a “day in the eats” of HEAB.

Veggiesmack January 5, 2010 at 10:33 am

Mmmm! That hummus looks awesome! And I’m with you, celery is weird. More chips or roasted veggie would’ve rocked.

Hope your soreness goes away soon. I’ve been weight training, so I feel your pain!

Casey January 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

Your list of loves is so great! I completely agree with all of them…esp God’s grace and the puppies :) .

Lyss January 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

this is 100% unrelated, but you are beautiful heather! :) inside and out!

prettyladycmu January 5, 2010 at 10:40 am

Oof burpees are the best/worst! Hope you can kick that head cold to the curb ASAP and are feeling better soon!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 5, 2010 at 10:43 am

oh burpees…i haven’t been able to bring myself to do them since high school volleyball :/ Hope you’re not too sore!

Lindsay January 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

Oooh sore armpits :( no fun lol. I love you 10 things, they are all so cute

Danielle January 5, 2010 at 10:46 am

I think it’d be cool to see what you eat in a week- your meals are always so creative!
I’m also not a fan of celery…roasted veggies or chips would have probably been better :)
I’m going to do some burpees today, hope I can stay in one piece. Feel better!

livingfreeforever January 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

I love your list of ten things!! I love it when my hubby calls me “my love”, I could NOT make it in life without God’s grace, and my dear Samson makes me smile every day :) I love sunshine too 8) , but we have been covered in snow for the last several weeks! Oh, and how could I forget the pancakes?! LOVE!!

I laughed about your armpits being sore. It reminded me of one time I was SO sore I could barely put deodorant on!

Hope your cold goes away ASAP! Take care.
XOXO
Kimberly

p.s. How do you like the Wii Fit? I think you would like Wii Active too ;)

16to8 January 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

Heather, I just wanted to say that you are such an inspiration! I love the creative foods you come up with. I have been reading your blog for a while and have gained a lot of knowledge. Thank you. Who knew… protein pancakes rock!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 11:35 am

Thanks 16to8. Very encouraging! :)

eaternotarunner January 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

Can’t wait for LOST! My favorite :-)

rungirlrunn January 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

Hey at least being sore means you worked hard yesterday!! Sorry you’re not feeling well, hope it goes away quickly!

Maya January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

A weekly post of daily eats sounds like a great idea!

Love the name Heather Pie. Adorable!

Kristen @ Simply Savor January 5, 2010 at 11:11 am

Loove the updates on your workouts and can’t wait to read more! A daily eats post would be fun, but I know that can be really time consuming, so maybe just an outlined list of ways you are increasing your protein intake (types of protein, how much, when, etc.)

your happy list made me smile. i think we should all make happy lists everyday! 8) (using the 8-technique lol)

Hope you’re feeling better and have a great day!

JavaChick January 5, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’m signed up with Lindsey this month too, and those burpees are killer. Good luck with the cardio, hope you start feeling better soon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

JavaChick, Just finished my cardio intervals on the bike. Kicked my butt. I am covered in sweat!

Erica January 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

That restaurant looks rocking! I will have to give it a go next time we visit Josh’s parents. Yummy hummus. Love your list of things that make you happy- especially #3 and 9 ;) . Have a great day HEAB!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle January 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

I love your #3.. there is nothing better than walking through the door and having my little Sadie look at me with big eyes almost saying ..hey I am glad you are home.. it just makes my day :)

jacobc January 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

hmm, that must be a green hills restaurant.. WIll have to look into that. I discovered garlic hummus yesterday, and proceeded to eat the whole tub, and a whole sleeve of saltines with it. I didn’t think i liked hummus all that much!

How could puppies and sunshine not make anyone happy! 8)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm

JacobC, The Wild Cow is on the East side, right across from Rose Pepper. Have you tried Trader Joe’s Smooth and Creamy hummus? My favorite!

Claire January 5, 2010 at 11:48 am

Interesting to hear about your low-er carb intake in the past couple of months, but sorry to hear that the hormone imbalances are still a mystery!

And I would love to see a day of HEAB eats once a week —- your meals always inspire me!

caronae January 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

I’d happily read a day of HEAB eats! Thank you times ten billion for the sweet advice on the blog! I am very grateful for it. I am going to be working on stuff this week, so stay tuned!

Tiffany S. January 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hope you feel 100% soon!

I, too, cannot WAIT for LOST to be back – it’s one of the few shows I still watch.

Since I’ve been tracking in Calorie King, I’ve been surprised how low my protein is even though I make sure I have some at every meal. Powders and veggie burgers don’t really contribute a lot. :( I’m going to add some eggs and ramp up the protein too (and loads of exercise will necessarily follow, oui?)

Would love to hear about your higher protein plan!

The Pancake Girl January 5, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Pancakes are on my happy list TOO! Number one spot! Have a great day!

brandi January 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm

that place sounds great! and now I want hummus. I totally forgot to stock up at Nick’s parents house this weekend!

love the list :)

greenbean January 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

plamarie January 5, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I hope you start feeling well soon. What a fun restaurant. Any place that would serve tempeh as a side would be an instant favorite of mine. Infact, you turned it onto me; Thanks Heather 8)I love it now!

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Burpees are killer.

I love God’s grace too…makes me feel better about all my mistakes and his forgiveness.

Chrysta January 5, 2010 at 1:22 pm

ouch! sore armpits are the worst! I hope you feel better!! By the way #9 made me laugh…haha. Oh the little things, right? The Wild Cow sounds awesome!! Glad you had a great time out. Hope you are feeling alot better too.

mary ann January 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm

i think tortilla chips give pita a hummus vehicles run for its $. Thoughts?
MA
lilpauladean.wordpress.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Mary Ann, Gosh, I don’t know. Love me some warm whole wheat pita, but tortilla chips are one of my most favorite foods on the planet. Both make me very happy. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I have had to accept the fact that celery does not have a place on my plate either. I kinda want to like it, but I just don’t…unless it’s boiled to the point of disintegration in a soup or something, I guess. That’s good news that you have a new veg resto in Nashville, though! Hope you get to try something w/o celery next time. 8)

Tracie @Hollafoodzone January 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

It’s weird but push ups and pull ups make you sore in places you never knew you could be sore!

Katie January 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I did some burpees about a week ago and felt the soreness for a couple days; I love/hate those things.

I feel the same way about books too. What did you end up reading over your vacation?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Katie, CD gave me The Help for Christmas, and so I read that. So good!

Lily @ Lily 's Health Pad January 5, 2010 at 2:14 pm

The 8) smiley thing has been driving me crrrrazy! If you learn how to fix this, please let me know!!

daintyvegan January 5, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Ugh, I’m not a fan of burpees. For some reason whenever I do them, they give me a horrible head rush and I feel sick. The food from the Wild Cow looks awesome! Even the celery. ;)

I think a weekly post of your daily eats would be great. I love seeing what others eat, helps give me ideas.. and inspire me not to be so boring/safe with my food. :)

eatmovelove January 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hope your cold clears up soon. Nice list – I should get on the “Lost” bandwagon.
I tagged you in my 10 List…I haven’t been particularly chirpy or happy lately so I decided to do a twist and do a list 10 bloggers that make me happy and why. Whatever works right ;) Cheers .

Anna January 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm

lol– sore armpits! That’s a new one! Not funny…but still kind of funny :-)

Looks like a good vegetarian restaurant! My BFF went to Vanderbilt, and she used to complain about the lack of healthy eats. Always good to get some new options!

Pure2Raw Twins January 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

We are HUGE Lost fans too!! Interesting to hear about your hormones and grain consumption relation, we have cut way back on grains too. Lately we have been trying to balance our hormones as well. It is one of biggest issues, we hope to a post on it soon…our issues and plan of attack. We can email you more of what we have found out if you would like.

Best luck and hope you feel better.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Pure2Raw, Would love to hear what you have learned regarding hormone issues!

erintakescontrol January 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Your number 8 is awesome! Sunglasses rock, but pedicures rock harder!

ohhmay January 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Sounds like an awesome workout!! Feel better Miss Heather!!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I love your list! Yay for workouts that work you out! I hope you feel better. I do think it helps to workout through the small stuff. I think it boosts that immune system.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Sounds like a great killer workout, especially the push ups! When I started the 100 push up challenge after the very first day I was in so much pain, but then after that one painful day the next 6 weeks weren’t so bad (at least after I finished getting through my sets).

Michelle (Snacks and Field) January 5, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Ahh I love feeling super sore the day after I start doing a hard workout- I feel so accomplished! I hope the exercise bike workout went well- Did you go all the same pace or intensity? …I guess I’ll find out in your next post!

Oh, and that hummus plate looks delicious!
Michelle

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Michelle, I did one minute intervals. Kicked my butt. Covered in sweat. Awesome.

april January 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I transitioned from a high-carb diet to a high protein diet a few months ago and I feel so much better! I never thought I’d be able to live without carbs but now I’m much more leaner and I can see muscles. Plus I don’t feel bloated or heavy like you said! I even had a smaller bowl of oats this morning and my stomach still felt off. It’s so strange! I also eat 5-6 small meals a day and love that too because I feel like I get to eat more!

Gracie January 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I agree that I feel less heavy and lethargic when I don’t have carb-overload for every meal (sometimes it’s hard, though, because carbs are just oh-so-good ;) ). And I’ve been trying to up my protein intake…especially after my strength training workouts (I’ve been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred which is intense strength training for me).

Would you say that your coconut pancakes are low-ish carbs?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Gracie, Yes, the coconut pancakes are very low carb and oh-so-good. :)

Christopher Ian Hill January 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Looks good! :)

Except I didn’t know what Tempeh is, but I just looked that up. I am not sure about that stuff. I am not a big fan of anything fermented (As what I read on Wiki) I tried Natto which is fermented beans in Japan…YUCK! As the Japanese would say “Natto ga Kirai Desu!” “I don’t like Natto!” ( I took a little Japanese in High School)

But I would totally take the celery! :) Mmmm.

Ha ha ha…your list is funny! :)

~Chris

theemptynutjar January 5, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Nice to get out for meals with friends at new places!
Yum on the tortilla chips.
That book you mentioned above..a novel?
Carbs are good – you are unique Heather – but its important like you said before that people not read all these blogs and get obsessed foolishly…just read, look, enjoy, and then get back to “reality”…food blogs can be dangerous if people aren’t careful!
Killer workout…I like your list. And I admire in YOU that YOU appreciate what you can do. You don’t complain about working out, rather you realize you are BLESSED to be able to do that! Lose that ability, and it can hit a person really really hard. So people that appreciate what they have and can do are #1 in my book!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Empty Nut, Yes, The Help is a novel: http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341. I loved it.

Carrie @ I See Monsters January 5, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I can’t wait to try The Wild Cow! It’s right around the corner from my house. I think I’m going to try to make it this weekend.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Carrie, I think you’ll love The Wild Cow. I can’t wait to go back…I want to try everything

marla January 5, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Ya know those carbs sure do taste great, but they don’t do wonders for the energy levels. I am an absolute fan of the mini meals throughout the day. They help sustain energy levels and prevent cravings. My six meals are heavier on the veggies, healthy fats and lean proteins. My most carb dense meal is breakfast and then I taper them back throughout the day. By about 3:00pm, bye, bye carbs for the day. I worked with a dietician last year ’cause I too was having some hormonal stuff going on. This plan is working well. Good balance….for now!

Hangry Pants January 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Heather Pie – I love it! Now, if only I could Mark to start using it, too.

The Fit Collegiate January 5, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh my goodness…MUST go to the Wild Cow when I get back to school! Dinner date part two, perhaps??

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm

The Fit Collegiate, Definitely!

hayleycepeda January 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I love your scarves as much as I love that sore feeling I get after workout out. Goes to show that all that hard work is paying off! Your top 10 list of things you love is so nice…makes me think of all the things I love and am grateful for.

I’m so glad you said that about tempeh! I went out to lunch with some friends today and ordered a “Build Your Own Salad.” I had tempeh on mine, which I absolutely LOVE, and when everyone tried a piece they all spit it out. I said, “I wasted my tempeh on you guys!” Jokingly of course…heheheh…anway, I can’t get enough of it.

Feel better!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 5, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Let me see 8) 8) 8) oh that’ll be a fun trick- thanks heabs!!

So glad that my scarf went to lunch with you guys? What did it order? Hope it used the right utensils- puh I didn’t send it to charm school for nothing!

Love tempeh. Love seitan too and all that jazz. I’m a closet vegetarian!

Funny that your armpits are sore! I can’t wait to see what’s sore on me tomorrow. :-)

Have a great night and feel better!

gina (fitnessista) January 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm

hi heaby! i hope your package gets there tomorrow, too. i hope everything gets there ok without getting too smashed- let me know :D
i’m also going to up my protein intake and am even thinking about eating tofu again… we shall see
i also love that christian dior calls you heather pie :)
have a wonderful night <3

Kristy January 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm

We ventured to the Wild Cow as well last week. I’m all about supporting vegan/veg stuff in Nashville (because we essentially have NONE – I’m lucky if I can find one veg entree in a lot of places), but I was quite underwhelmed after visiting really great veg/vegan spots in other cities. I can easily make pretty much all the stuff on their menu at home.

PLUS, it’s really a pet peeve of mine when people create a menu of simulations of standard American diet foods (i.e. buffalo chicken sandwich made with tempeh instead or reuben sandwich with tempeh). Veg dishes with veggies as the stars are almost always superior. I suppose you have to satisfy the masses with things they’re familiar with, but do the masses even go to the Wild Cow? Sorry about the rant…it just gets to me when they try to simulate junk food with tempeh/tofu/etc. Just use those ingredients to create dishes that shine on their own! Kudos to them for trying, though.

Also, I did my first class at 12South Yoga today. It was different from what I expected – lots of instruction. It definitely wasn’t as strenuous as even a walk around the neighborhood, but I guess you have to start at the bottom to get proper form. I’m going to keep practicing just so I can attempt the hard stuff (eventually)! Thanks for the inspiration and help!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 7:33 am

Kristy, Glad you tried 12th South, and yes the beginning classes are just pose after pose with lot of instruction, but you’re learning good form, and that is what counts.

I completely understand your thoughts on the Wild Cow. Definitely not like many veggie restaurants I’ve visited either, but at least they’re here! It’s a start, ya know?

whydeprive January 5, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Thats such a great list! I totally agree with #3 and #7.
My dog is the only one thats ever so excited to see me she pees. Thats kind of flattering when you think about it!

Jess January 6, 2010 at 8:54 am

Ok, have to ask – Why is it called a BURPEE?? (I looked over the website – seems like a fun challenge to add to my (non)workout routine since I can do it at home!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 9:01 am

Jess, Good question, I had no idea. Here’s what I found out from Wikipedia:

*The exercise may have been originated by a man named Lieutenant Thomas Burpee (1757-1839). He was an officer in the New HampshireMilitia during the American Revolutionary War and was described as “having the innate Burpee fondness for martial exercises” in **A History of the Town of New London, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. Lt. Burpee may have used the combination of pushups and squat thrusts as a means of drilling, conditioning, and disciplining the troops under his command. In addition, the exercise may have also been used by the troops as a way to stay warm during the winters in wartime New England .*

Bekah January 6, 2010 at 9:47 am

YOU’RE A LOST FAN?!?!?
Heather why was this not brought up when we met? Ahh now that I know you, you do totally seem like a fellow Lost fan. I am so stoked. I am sooo stoked to watch it, and to debrief! Eeek. And gotta love jeans that don’t show crack. I tend to shy away from low rise jeans for that reason.. but soo many good jeans out there are low rise!

And got your comment about the protein ice cream in the magic bullet. I’m gonna email you with exactly how I do it.. but who knows, you may just make A LOT of it, and it doesn’t fit. C’est la vie. :(

jacobc January 6, 2010 at 10:51 am

re- hummus..
I got 5 tubs, original, garlic, vegtable,spiced and lemon.. Loved the first 3, but the lemon ended up in the trash! And i’m not to much for spicy stuff, so that one will probally sit in the fridge until it grows mold…

Jess January 6, 2010 at 10:57 am

Glad you had fun with the girls at that vegetarian restaurant!! Love what you ordered!

Great high protein talk!
<3 jess
xoxo

Holly January 6, 2010 at 11:43 am

eeeekkkk LOST! i cannot wait. and buttcrack is never good (but still hilarious nonetheless). and tempeh as a side item? i die.

happy training :)

Lara (Thinspired) January 6, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Your happy list makes me happy :) Sunshine, yes…so underrated!

Your workouts are looking intense! Would you believe I have never actually done a burpee?! Good luck with your new plan, I hope the added protein pumps up your life ;)

Deb’s scarf looks great on you! All three of you have such a happy glow :)

Holly January 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm

after “lurking” for a little while now your list just made me have to comment. my husband would say “were y’all separated at birth” (well, except for the yoga- not that I wouldn’t love to do it, I just haven’t made the time in a while)…too funny!

thanks for sharing all your great recipes, tips and insights…happy wednesday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Holly, Always love hearing from delurkers, especially when they’re my long lost sisters. :) Happy Wednesday to you as well and thanks for reading!

ProteinGirl January 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm

As always you look ridiculously stunning in your picture! Why are you always so perfectly gorgeous and photogenic? It’s not fair! ha ha. Hope you feel better and your armpits are ‘less sore’! Take a rest break, so you don’t compromise your immune health!
Loved your post!