Sofa City Sweetheart

by HEAB on January 6, 2010

Ugh, my head cold that I thought I was over has now morphed into an ugly green monster sitting in my chest. Nice. No fever or aches though. So, that’s good. However, I haven’t been sick in so long, and honestly, it sucks.

No workout for me today. On the schedule from Lindsey was some strength training, but I’m laying low and taking the day off. I cancelled my afternoon clients, and I’m just resting, which is not easy for me. I have trouble relaxing as I’m always on the go, but my body is trying to tell me something. I think I better listen.

Here are some meals I’ve been enjoying lately. Again, more protein, fewer grains.

Dinner last night…

Spiralized raw zucchini squash with a veggie stir-fry consisting of 1/4 onion, Brussels sprouts, 1 yellow bell pepper, spinach, and tempeh marinated in Braggs. I tossed my veggies in my favorite hummus dressing (Trader Joe’s Smooth and Creamy hummus, 1/2 packet stevia, Dijon mustard, and water to thin). Click here if you’re looking for a good vegetable spiralizer.

Breakfast…

Scrambled egg whites (from carton, hence the color. I’m lazy), 2 tortillas, and a blob of hummus the size of my head. Let’s talk tortillas. I wish I could say these were flourless sprouted grain tortillas or brown rice flour tortillas, but they’re not. They are low carb/high fiber tortillas, and I LOVE them. My favorite brand is La Tortilla Factory, and unlike Ezekiel wraps, they do not taste like cardboard, they actually “wrap” without breaking, and they’re super cheap since we buy them in bulk at Costco. I know the ingredient list isn’t perfect, but neither am I. :)

The sofa is calling my name. Later my friends.

Erica January 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm

ugh! So sorry you are feeling yucky. Get lots of rest and fluids. I’ll be thinking about ya. That spiralized dinner looks awesome! I got one of those for Josh’s sister for Christmas, now I need one!

Graze With Me January 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Yup, I’m at home taking a sick day as well. My throat is on fire and I have a box of tissues and a trash bag right next to me.

I buy the same type of tortillas, I love the high fiber! And you’re right, Ezekiel ones taste like dirt.

Evan Thomas January 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Rest well! After CD was sick for so long you wouldn’t want to be, too

brandi January 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

I need to try hummus with eggs. That sounds really good.

Jess January 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I’m so sorry you are sick! If it makes sitting around for one day easier, then I haven’t been to the gym in over two weeks because of my pneumonia. You don’t want to get any worse, so just lay low and enjoy your rest day :)

That spiralized dinner looks very yummy!
<3 jess
xoxo

Tiffany S. January 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

You’re a trooper for posting at all!

I’m digging the La Tortilla Factory 100 calorie tortillas but sometimes they hide from me at the grocery store.

Feel better soon (isn’t that a dumb thing to say – like you’re not trying your darndest)!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm

so sorry you don’t feel well…colds are seriously the worst. the foods look yummy though! what do you use to spiralize the squash?

hope you feel better…just take it slow :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm
Chrysta January 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Feel better soon hun! SO not fun being sick. Love the spiralized Zucchini noodles though. Awesome eats! I really like the La Tortilla Factory brand of tortillas too. They arent too bad. Anyways take care of yourself and get plenty of rest!!

Abby January 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Feel better.. def good idea to lay low and take the day off!

Its funny.. i actually love the taste of the cardboard Ezekiels.. I eat em plain for a snack. You’re right, though def not a good choice for a “wrap”!

Tiffany January 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! I currently use Flatout wraps and they generally hold up well unless the insides are wet and the wrap gets soggy. I am always on the lookout for cheap, good tortillas, and I will have to see if I can find those La Tortilla wraps in Costco!

molly @thevegandorm January 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I’m a fan of the la tortilla’s too. the texture is to die for, and they’re HUUUUGE!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Feel better, Heather!!!
The Spiralized raw zucchini is a staple round here as are brussles sprouts. For a sick girl, you sure made pretty and delish looking food :)
take care hon!

Leah Z January 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I’m sorry you’re sick! I know it can be so annoying to be sick when you eat so healthy, and live a healthy lifestyle…but I’m sure you will get better soooon!
also, I totally feel you on the ezekiel tortillas. Ezekiel products sit best with my body, so I eat them all, english muffins, breads, and wraps…but I wish they would make their tortillas more flexible! I always just give up and use them as pitas for hummus, but sometimes I really crave a wrap. I might have to give La Tortilla factory a try, just for a treat!

eaternotarunner January 6, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Feel better! And what fun is being perfect?? ;-)

eatmovelove January 6, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Take care of that cold – keep eating well! Now where’s the sauce on your meal though haha ;) different strokes for different folks hey?

If anyone likes yogurt check out my site for a give-a-way – they don’t give it to Canadians :( …but alas someone else can benefit??

The Pancake Girl January 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Your din from last night looks like it was just scrumptious.. BTW you are making me re-think my own strength routine, which is practically nonexistent if I am honest with myself… I need to get started on that. Perhaps a challenge would useful.. ;-)

Feel better!

caronae January 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Feel better soon!

Kimberly Lee January 6, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather. I hope you feel better soon!

Whit January 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I bet those tortillas are nice and soft too, without that grainy chew of the sprouted thangs. ;)

Feel better soon HEAB! Those ‘jumping’ colds are the worst! [ya know, when they jump from one part of the body to the next...]

Veggiesmack January 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Rest up! I hope you feel well soon. :-)

I may have to snag one of those spiralizers!

Peanut Butter Bliss January 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

those la tortilla factory tortillas are ahamazing!! so much better than ezekiel. Never break even with copious amounts of veggies :D

feel better!

Amy January 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’ve been sick since last Wednesday, today is my first day back in the ‘real world’. Luckily I haven’t been this sick since last year around this time… I hope the best for you and that you bounce back more quickly than I have.

Congrats on still eating healthy! Whole grain goldfish was the best I could do for a few days!

Lori January 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Wow, your dinner looks fantastic!!!! I need, need, need to make that! Yum! Thank you for sharing!

And feel better!!! :(

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

hope your afternoon off makes you feel better!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Feel better! You be sure to give that sofa the attention it deserves.

Anna January 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Sorry you’re sick!! Hopefully your afternoon of relaxing will get you feeling better :-)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Dinner looked amazing!

Donca Diva January 6, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I will have to check Costco for these wraps. I only recently started eating them and didn’t think to check costco for them. Speaking of costco have you seen that they carry Marnatha (spelling) almond butter for $5.97 for a huge 26 oz jar. I was shocked.

Hope you feel better. It’s good that you are listening to your body and resting.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm
plamarie January 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Oh the tempeh-Oh how I love thee! Take it easy you and get better. Nice music, warm tea, a blanket and a good book, wish I could rest for you. I am all to good at it. :D

charlotte January 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I love those La Tortilla wraps too!! And I’m so sorry that you are sick. Kudos for listening to your body – I hope you feel better ASAP.

missyrayn January 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I’m glad you are getting rest. It’s hard to stop but better make the decision now instead of having your body make it for you.

Brynne January 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Feel better Heather! La Tortilla Factory wraps are the best!

erintakescontrol January 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I hope you feel better soon! I found out today I have a stress fracture in my foot and it’s not an easy pill to swallow. :-( I’ve never been able to actually buy La Tortilla…my Whole Foods never seems to have them!

Rest up!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Erin, I don’t think any Whole Foods carries the La Tortilla Factory tortillas. Look for them at your regular grocery store or at Coscto or Sam’s.

So sorry about the stress fracture. It should heal in 4 to 6 weeks right? Perfect timing for a beautiful spring run. :)

Brooke January 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

i need to find some of those tortilla’s :) hope you feel better soon!!

homecookedem January 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I love la tortilla factory tortillas!! I eat one everyday for lunch!! :)

Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I just ordered a spiralizer! I can’t wait for it to arrive :)

justrun January 6, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I confess, I actually love those tortillas, too.

Feel better soon, Heather!

theemptynutjar January 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Heather, hope you feel better.
And DO NOT obsess over ingredient lists…you will drive yourself crazy, and life is too short!
Unique eats once again!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I bought those same tortillas today at the grocery store for the first time. I was a little hesitant on buying them because they aren’t the most natural tortillas. BUT we don’t eat them often and I really wanted something soft and pliable. I was also pretty impressed with the fiber. Looks like I made a good choice :)

elleneatsbeats January 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Those tortillas are my favorite, I don’t even care how processed they are. Best tasting torts out there!

Tamzin January 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I can totally sympathize with you, I’ve had a strain in my back for the last week that completely went a couple of days ago so have not been able to do anything not even leave the house I’m going a little crazy but my body is saying rest so I guess I gotta rest! Hope you feel better soon lovely lady x x

Susan January 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Feel better Heather! And I lived off of cartoned egg whites last week when I was sick. They felt nice on my throat : )

Cherie January 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Sorry you are still sick! I’m really intrigued by this Spiralizer. I may have to get one…and it’s not as expensive as I thought!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Cherry Pie, Lurve my spiralizer.

Jordan January 6, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Enjoy your downtime, get that nastiness out of there!
Happy belated birthday too 8)

ohhmay January 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

LOVE. LOVE. La Tortilla factory! Nothing wrong there!!! ;) Next time you pick some up, try the Rye tortillas- they’re soooo good with hummus and smoked salmon! (they’re still high fiber)

ohhmay January 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Oh and feel mucho better mucho soon!

Allison Rentmeester January 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I love La Tortilla wraps! Although, as you said, the ingredient list isn’t *perfect*, I figure with how “whole” everything else I eat is, these are a-okay in my book! :) Plus, think of the people who consider eating a Big Mac “not perfect,” it makes our whole-wheat tortillas a little silly lol.

Lauren January 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm

LOVE those tortillas too! By far, the best tasting you can buy.

Hope you feel better soon Heather! Take care of yourself. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 6, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hope you feel well soon! Your dinner looks amazingly delicious.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm

What? You’re not perfect. Gah, I’ve been duped! ;-)

Wishing you a very speedy recovery. Yes you are a trooper for even posting, Carbzilla is right. I keep ebbing and flowing myself. Something not 100% right. Promise I didn’t kiss CD, promise!

Your meal looked like an Averie meal! :-) So healthy and good- I need to get to spiralizing. I have a funny Japanese one.

Love you and feel better- good to take the day off.

Katie January 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I love La Tortilla wraps too!

And Josephs High Protein/Fiber Pita is awesome.

: )

Katie

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Katie, I didn’t know anyone made a high protein fiber pita. I must find these. Thanks for the tip!

Lauren January 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Heather, I hope that not only you feel better soon, but that you enjoy this time to rest and relax. Maybe you’ll read something that you just needed to hear that you wouldn’t have had the time for before, or that you catch some extra zzzs to help with strength workouts next week! Peel an orange, sip some tea, sit back and relax! :)

Jessica January 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm

My favorite is La Totillas too! I LOVE the taste.

Ashlei January 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Feel better Heather! Being sick is the worst! Just rest up.

And that spiralized zucchinit with tempeh and the hummus dressing looks fabs. I could eat tempeh like there’s no tomorrow, so I don’t buy it too often, but I definitely will give this a try! :)

Margie January 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Your dinner looks great! I have to try your hummus dressing. I saw the La Tortilla wraps at Costco. My hubby mentioned for us to try them, but I wasn’t sure. I will pick them up next time, due to the postive reviews.

lena January 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm

take care and get well soon!

Christopher Ian Hill January 6, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mmmm…that food always looks good!

Yes, take it easy Heather!
I am sure you deserve a break anyway. I hope you feel better soon!

~Chris :)

Nicole January 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Get better!! I know it’s hard to rest…I’m the same way. Especially when my appetite is normal but I know I can work out…kills me. Something I need to work on.
I eat those same wraps you do. I don’t like them that much but I bought them in bulk too and now have to use them all up. They taste better when they’re heated but if not, they’re pretty gross. I love Ezekiel bread (especially their English muffins, which I am obsessed with) but I haven’t bought the wraps yet since i have so many of these lo-carb ones left to eat. Thanks for the heads up on their taste though.
Anyway REST REST REST! I’m glad you canceled your clients. You need to get better!!!! XOXOXOXOXO

Melissa S. January 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm

ah, I hope that you feel better soon. good job for letting your body rest.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh Heather, I knew I liked you, but now it is more!!! Love La Tortilla Factory tortillas! The BEST! I just made praise tonight to the almighty chickpea. I swear, I could not live without them! I made hummus today and had to stop myself from licking the blade! Heaven!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 6, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Sarena, I always lick the blade. I gotta stop doing that! ;)

hayleycepeda January 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Feel better soon Heather! I know how sucky being sick feels…especially when you are restless. Your meals look delicious and I am SO with you on those tortillas. I actually like Ezekiel products, but for some reason La Tortilla Factory tortillas are soooo much better. Who wants to be perfect? Perfect is boring.. :) Take care girly..

Maggie January 6, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Those are my favorite wraps!

Jillian January 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I love La Tortilla!! You will have a Jillian photo-coffee-table book one day my dear:). Hugs

yogiclarebear January 6, 2010 at 10:27 pm

heather thank you for the spiralizer link. might invest in this, looks like something fun for the new year!

i surely hope you feel better soon! take it slow, friend.

kbwood January 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm

i love la tortilla! and josephs lavash :)
feel better love!!
do u think a spiralizer is something worth investing in?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 8:39 am

kbwood, YES!!! Use mine all the time. Makes great “raw” noodles, but also good for making sweet potato curly fries!

Gaby January 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Sorry you feel sick! I hate colds, I started getting a sore throat over the weekend but I think Az just wore me out so I’ve been resting and it’s been holding off.
I know how hard it is to rest since I’m always “go go go” too, whether with exercise, work, or anything, I just have to be productive at all times, but you’re doing the right thing!
That spiralized dinner looks delish! And even if those tortillas are a bit processed, they’re pretty nutrient packed. If anything, I think you’re attitude towards nutrition is “perfect” :)
Hope you feel better soon!

Cherie January 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm

sending get well wishes your way! Hope your feeling better real soon Heather. FYI…you might want to increase your Vit D, for more info on it you can go to mercola.com. A big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup wouldn’t hurt either, ha! Take care!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 8:41 am

Thankd Cherie, I take LiquiD3 drops everyday as my levels were a little low. Took them all last winter, and they helped so much with the winter blues!

Katie January 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Being sick sucks for sure. At least you can get in some trashy tv or magazine time though, right?

I forgot about my spiralizer, thanks for the reminder. My zucchini and my spiralizer have a date tomorrow. And I love those tortillas too. So soft and chewy, and they don’t rip. I tried to be virtuous and eat those cardboard wraps, but they just aren’t good. If you haven’t tried grilling the tortillas, I recommend it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 8:40 am

Katie, Grilling…I’m on that.

Shelby January 7, 2010 at 7:07 am

Oh no Heather! Feel better soon!

Love both of the meals. I agree on the ezekiel wraps..they never wrap and always break!

Pure2Raw twins January 7, 2010 at 7:39 am

Feel better soon! We love zucchini pasta!!! Yours looks absolutely amazing. Love the brussel sprouts in there, great idea :)

livingfreeforever January 7, 2010 at 7:39 am

Feel better soon deary! I HATE being sick and I hate that you are sick :(

Allie (Protein Girl) January 7, 2010 at 8:43 am

Did you just get the Swine Sniffles instead of the flu? Hope you feel better soon. Great opportunity for some R&R and spicy hot and sour soup (my own personal Chinese Penicillin).

xoxo,
A

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

Allie, Just the Swine sniffles…I hope. No fever or aches, just snot.

joy January 7, 2010 at 10:05 am

feel better soon HEAB

Cindy January 7, 2010 at 10:15 am

love your noodle dish! I am desparate for a spiralizer and I keep seeing great noodle veggies from them! MMM

please rest and get well soon! I hate being sick bc I hate slowing down and I take great measures to not get there! ick.

scrambled eggs sound good this morning but I am doing a vegan thursday and a Raw Saturday and low gi eating….it starting to get hard to keep up!

haha
sending you a big vitamin C hug!
xo

Jen January 7, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’m there with you (on being sick :( )…feel better! Off to check out the spiralizer….:)

Lele January 7, 2010 at 10:25 am

I was really skeptical about “low carb” grains too, but I have to say that the “low carb” pitas at Costco are UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS. And they’re 100% whole wheat, which somewhat redeems their unnaturalness.

marla January 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Need to get a spiralizer…that is such a fun way to eat your veggies!! My kids would love the spaghetti shape.

kate January 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

“Sofa city, sweetheart.” Did you watch “Sixteen Candles” recently?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Kate, Finally! I didn’t think anyone was going to catch my movie reference. Haven’t watched in years, but definitely a classic!

jenngirl January 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Good for you listening to your body. Hope you’re feeling better :)

And I say eat the tortillas that make you and your taste buds happy! There’s no such thing as a “perfect” diet. Do you like Flat-Out wraps? I used to eat La Tortilla Factory, but now I love Flat-Outs, they’re similar, but just taste even better in my opinion. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Jenngirl, I do like FlatOuts. They sell them at our Costco as well, and I go back and forth between the two.

Bekah January 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm

haha LOVE your comment about the tortillas! It’s funny because I’m not a huge fan of the “low-carb” products (I just eat low-carb naturally), but if I’m going to eat a tortilla (as we talked about) its gonna be one that has like two ingredients. flour and lard. (or oil, or whatever.) but its gonna be gooood. :)

Hope your feeling better Heather. :( no funn.

Erin January 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

my latest kick is one egg scrambled with egg whites, topped with salsa, a little sprinkle of green tabasco and crumbled blue chips. amazing! it’s still high protein but you get that little carb crunch from the blue chips…

Erin January 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

i think i meant crushed blue chips? haha… regardless, just smash some up and mix them in!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2010 at 11:12 am

Erin, I love blue chips…crumbled or crushed, I don’t care! ;)

sarah January 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Hi Heather! I just found your blog, I love it. I was wondering what you use/how you spiral the zucchini into those pretty noodles? Looks like a wonderful idea.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 7:15 am

Sarah, So glad you found me. I won this spriralizer from Gena over at Choowing Raw.com: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-Tri-Blade-Plastic-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1250527442&sr=8-1. Love my spiralizer!

bodyhacker.com March 1, 2010 at 11:22 am

Hello, thanks so much for your information and we definitely agree that we love The La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Tortillas too!

We have been faithful consumers (actually most days we have at least 2 of these wraps) of The La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Tortillas. These tortillas are only 80 Calories per wrap and are cholesterol-free, contain no saturated fats, trans fat or hydrogenated oils. Therefore they are perfect for the health conscious and dieters (especially people who are following a low carbohydrate, low calorie and lower glycemic index foods – such as diabetics).

We use the wraps for all of our meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner although can be also used for snacks (you just have to get creative).

If you are interested, we list one of our favorite recipes (Italian Pizza) and will continue to list more on our site: http://bodyhacker.com

Thanks and look forward to reading more! :-)

{ 2 trackbacks }