Feeding The Cold

by HEAB on January 7, 2010

Yuck, still feeling horrible. I have no voice, and I think I will stay in my PJ’s all day. I could not sit still yesterday and ended up cleaning our entire upstairs, or Heather Eats Almond Butter Headquarters as CD likes to call it since my computer is up there. I then stripped all the bedding and did the laundry in an attempt to de-germify. I told you I’m just not good at being sick. During my marathon cleaning session, Leroy the mailman stopped by. I’m beginning to wonder if he thinks I’m up to no good as he is constantly knocking on our door to deliver little packages. Hehe. :)

Look what he brought me yesterday…

An amazing birthday package from The Fitnessista including her raw Chili Cheese Crackers and Bloomin Onion Bread, a yoga shirt (wearing it right now), and a jar of raw almond butter. Gina, what an amazing box of goodies. Thank you so much! I also received a very thoughtful box of some of my favorite Scharffen Berger chocolate from Marla. She sent me the super dark stuff. You know I love it Marla. Thanks!

Soon after opening all my goodies, I heard another knock on the door. It was Mr. UPS man bringing me tidings of great joy…

Chocolate Covered Katie made me the cutest birthday card I’ve ever received. It’s a girl holding a jar of almond butter. I love it Katie! She also sent me coconut love in a jar. Oh my gosh, I am so excited as I cannot get Artisana nut butters in Nashville. Please check out her homemade cards here. 100% of the profits from her cards AND her blog go to charity. Speaking of Katie

Did you guys know it’s Vegan Thursday? Well, it is, and I decided to celebrate with breakfast…

201001071002.jpg

I used this photo to test out Snagit for Beta, a new photo capturing software for Macs. So fun. Anyway, for breakfast, I had a Five Star Foodie Artichoke Burger and a bowl of kabocha soup (1/2 roasted kabocha, 1 cup water, stevia, and cinnamon blended in Vita-Mix until warm) topped with coconut butter. Just what the doctor ordered!

Before I crawl back into bed, two things:

1) Remember Emily, the brilliant creator of PBU? Well, she has been staying very busy up at The Rhode Island School of Design. She’s currently taking a class in T-shirt design and is hoping to develop a line of healthy eating tees and eco-shopping bags. It’s still in concept stages, but she’d love to hear what you guys would like to see on a T-shirt. If she uses your slogan, you will receive a free shirt. So, put your thinking caps on and help a girl out. Emily submitted her own slogan, I always eat my broccoli, to Threadless, and if it gets enough votes, it will be printed, and everyone can buy one. So, while you’re thinking of your own slogan, please click here and vote for Emily’s. Thanks!

2) My good friend Maggie awarded me with a Beautiful Blogger Award. Thanks Maggie! Every winner of the award is supposed to list 7 random facts about themselves. If you’re interested in reading mine, please click here. :)

CD, I know you’re reading this. Gina’s raw crackers and bread are in the fridge. The coconut butters are in my blogger stash cabinet, and as far as the chocolate goes…Good luck trying to find it. Hehe. ;)

Holly January 7, 2010 at 11:43 am

Blech! Feel better, my dear! I don’t know what it is, but the week-and-a-half before my finals, I was sick, too. I nipped it with my silver before it got too bad, just random stuffy head (but not nose), a dry cough at night, and lethargy. But after a few days of that, my voice was totally gone, and stayed away until after Christmas (It was really fun leading a discussion for a final exam-grade like that, let me tell you!) Anyway, that started around December 20th and my highest octave is still not back yet! But it will start to get better, just keep fighting it with soup and ice cream! Your kabocha soup looks like the perfect weapon!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 7, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hope you feel better girl! All of your birthday treats look delicious! Too bad you had to get sick around your bday…sending you good vibes! :)

Little Bookworm January 7, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hope you feel better soon Heather!

Veggiesmack January 7, 2010 at 11:53 am

Wow! Talk about an awesome mail day!

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

Katy @ These Beautiful Feet January 7, 2010 at 11:53 am

This is so cute! Okay, it killed me that you have your own cabinet for blogger goodies. Hilarious, hopefully our new place(whenever and wherever that may be) will have plenty of space! I’m so sorry you are sick. Praying you are healed up in no time. Sometimes it’s natures way of telling us to be still and rest which is SO hard to do. Again, love your blog..I am hooked!

rachael January 7, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hope you feel better soon!

I was given the same birthday card that Gina gave you for my birthday. Love it!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 7, 2010 at 11:54 am

how fun! i love getting sweet gifts…i can’t wait to hear what you think of the chili cheese crackers :)

i certainly hope you feel better soon, being sick is absolutely no fun

Chocolate-Covered Katie January 7, 2010 at 11:59 am

Yay! I’m so glad Mr. UPS Man didn’t steal the coconut butter for himself. And your breakfast picture is too funny! Who knew Sunshine burgers were so opinionated?

Ugh, feel better HEAB :(

Oh, and I gotta ask: What happened to Leroy the Mailman? Was he replaced? Poor guy, probably couldn’t cut it…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Katie, Leroy is still around. Our address is keeping him very busy. :)

Thanks again so much for my coconut butters. I meant to pick some up in Arizona, but we never made it to Whole Foods. So, your package made me very happy yesterday!

Rachel January 7, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Those are such great gifts! The card of the girl with almond butter is really cute, but I think my favorite is the yoga shirt!

Scott in Ohio January 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hey, nice loot. The caricature of HEAB from Katie is great!

We can loan you some snow if you’d like. :-)

Hope you can kick the sick soon!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Aww hope you feel better soon Heather! I hate being sick :(

Erica January 7, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow! What a day of gifties from the delivery dudes! I’m certainly jealous ;) Especially of Gina’s homemade goodies. Hope you’re feeling better today and getting some relaxing in (I’m so bad at sitting still too….)

The Pancake Girl January 7, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Feel better HEAB- being sick is no fun!

Danielle January 7, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Awesome gifts! I’ve seen those Artichoke burgers, are they good?? Feel better :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Danielle, Love the artichoke burgers! My favorite veggie burger.

prettyladycmu January 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Hope you feel better soon, HEAB! Love the note to CD, btw ;-)

Leslie K January 7, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Feel better. My holistic stuff is starting to work. Also steamy hot showers before bed alleviates night coughs for sure. My boyfriend and I both did it last night and we got a full night’s sleep. Tons of water. Just ride it out baby! Perfect time to catch up on movies!

xo
Les

marla January 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Ok, I know you are feeling icky (sucks don’t it??)….but you got so many great packages to help cheer you up!!! (cartwheels, flips, happy dance!!) Glad to hear we were able to spread some cheer your way. Feel better soon & get some rest :)

eaternotarunner January 7, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Hope you feel better soon! I bet all those packages will help ;-)

Chocolate-Covered Katie January 7, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Ummm… ignore my previous Leroy question. It makes no sense. I obviously can’t read LOL!

Still sending get-well wishes your way!

Marianne in Auburn January 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I haven’t been sick in ages but traveling over the holidays and lack of sleep took its toll on me. I have been sick with a cold too since Sunday and I am having a hard time resting…I can’t sit still normally and trying to make myself rest is next to impossible. I look like a complete nutter with tissue hanging out of my nose while sweeping the kitchen!! and it is really hard not to work out!

Hope you feel better soon!

zestycook January 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Heather, Sorry to hear you are sick. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Jenny R. January 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm

aw Heather…I made the bestttt chicken soup yesterday – I wish I could send some to you :( How very sacriledge of me on vegan Thursday. tsk tsk Jenny. CD’s lucky you share with him! if it were me…I wouldn’t be so generous b/c those look delish ;)

Evan Thomas January 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Lol, I was just thinking today about what our mail people must think of us.

Heather January 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm

What fun birthday packages!! Hope you feel better!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 7, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hope you feel better soon :)

Kimberly Lee January 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Sorry that you are not feeling any better. I can relate to cleaning while sick. Over the summer, I had a major sinus infection, inner ear infection, and a chest cold — at the same time — but my house was absolutely spotless.

gina (fitnessista) January 7, 2010 at 1:44 pm

what an awesome collection of gifties :D i love the card katie made you- so cute! i’m so glad all your goodies got there safely!
get well soon <3
xoxo

Susan January 7, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Feel better Heather! Maybe you can “feed the cold” with some of those delish-looking birthday goodies.

Jess January 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I got my first kabocha this week – 99c a lb, last one left! Would love to make that soup but I lack a vitamix and while my cuisinart does well, I don’t know . . . plan on roasting half of it for fries. . . maybe I can roast the other half and see if that blends up better.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Jess, Let me know how your first kabocha tastes! Mine have been really dry lately. :(

Julie @savvyeats January 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Feel better soon. At least you have lots of fun blogger packages to cheer you up! I have been dying to try cacao bliss, but it is out of my budget right now… someday!

angnxd January 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Feel better!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Great stash for your birthday! So sorry you’re sick….on your bday week, no less. I won Marla’s give away and just yesterday the mailman brought me some S. Berger choc too! GREAT STUFF, I am sooo happy. Your yoga tshirt is adorable, too!
xoox

homecookedem January 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Feel better soon!! You are definitely loved HEAB, that’s for sure!! You seem to get the most gifts of any food blogger from what I can tell!! :) Well deserved! Enjoy them!! :)

Tamzin January 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm

What fab gifts i love getting packages in the post! x

Anna January 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Awww! Great birthday packages! Those would definitely make me feel better :-)

Ameena January 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Sorry that you are still feeling sick! But what generous, amazing blog friends you have. I am so jealous of your great birthday gifts!

Jess January 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Incredible packages! So sweet of Katie and Gina!

Feel better!!
<3 jess
xoxo

Quix January 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Feel better! And happy birthday. I’ll add my vote that you look nowhere near 34. At all. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Quix. :)

Bekah January 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm

NO ARTISANA IN NASHVILLE?!! What about Whole Foods? That is a bunch of baloney. Katie is the sweeetest. I have never seen her cards though, so cute!

Well I hope all the snail mail love has been keeping your spirits up Heather. :( And I loove that you have a *blogger stash* cabinet. The perks.. ;)

BTW, I did a picture tutorial today about protein ice cream in the bullet. I’ll email them as soon as I upload.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Beeks, No, no Artisana in Nashville. Stinks! I meant to load up in AZ, but never made it to Whole Foods. :(

Abigail Stephens January 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Feel better Heather! I’m in love with kabocha and oat bran, thanks to you! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Abigail, You’re welcome. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’ve never heard of artichoke burgers, they sound delish tho! Your BDay treats are amazingly sweet from those ladies, hope they cure you!

Meredith January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Feel better! Being sick is no fun!

Mama Pea January 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Keep feeling better sweetie! Chicken noodle has nothing on that kabocha soup!

Maggie January 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Feel better :( I hate being sick. I haven’t been sick in so long (until this week) and I can’t wait to be better again!!

Get some rest; I know it’s hard; but you definitely need AND deserve it.

Yay for cleaning though :)

theemptynutjar January 7, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Heather, hope u feel better.
Wow, you have the greatest friends ever! All of it looks great. Artisana is the best nut butters. Its so expensive though…and there is one store not too close to me that sells it occasionally (it comes in every now and then, and then disapears for a while, etc). Since its so expensive, I typically buy all the other nut butters…I am not picky …any brand name, flavor, etc will do :)
That said, Artisana cocoa bliss rocks…i splurged on it once and amazing…might splurge again soon (hard to do when the money meter is running literally in the negatives!)…the coconut butter is amazing too…any of them…whenever i see something new and exciting, its worth a try and an occasional buy anyway!
I need some blogger friends to send cool packages like that :)
Feel better. Being sick sucks.

Kristen January 7, 2010 at 7:11 pm

For Emily: “everthing tastes better roasted” with little veggie pictures below. I say it all the time…it is so true!

Feel better soon! At least your house will be spick and span!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Oh Heather, feel better! I keep hoping I don’t get what my husband had over the holidays! Love the gifts! There are some nice people out there…aren’t there?! Get some rest and hopefully you will feel better soon!

eatmovelove January 7, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Great gifts for a great B-Day girl…albeit stuffed up. Feel better soon. Lots of rest and old movies should do the trick. I’ve never even heard of Artisana or heard of it around here….now, stop cleaning and get some ice cream and sleep :)

april January 7, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Get well soon Heather!!

Mae @ OhhMay January 7, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Heather, I hope you get well soon! These are such cute birthday gifts… at least that brightened up your sick day!

JenniferSue January 7, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Get better HEABs!

Katie January 7, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I never eat like that when I am sick. You never cease to amaze. Kabocha soup is just what the doctor ordered.

carolinebee January 8, 2010 at 8:03 am

Heather i hope u start feeling better soon!!!! UGH i hate being sick….but the mail helps! HA and my mailman’s name is Leonard…..fun fact!

Cindy January 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

good for you for having “headquarters” I have a spot in the pantry for my coupla things. haha

hope you are feeling better soon and I can’t sit still long eihter…I bet moving around a bit did you some good.

I love that Emily is making health conscious T-s and bags. Sign me up! I have one shirt that says “eat your veggies” with a carrot a tomatoe and broccoli…my son LOVES that shirt and I wear it to bbq’s all the time! haha

happy friday

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm

So funny. I THINK I read every word of every blog. Then I read someone like Beeks’ (bionic woman eyes) comments about something I missed.. BLoggers stash! Hee hee. How did I miss that?! All my goodies that bloggies send me get funneled directly into their appropriate “homes” but I do have a special Bloggie Pile in my pantry (that sounds bad) for all the sweet cards etc.

I think that you may never ever in your life have to purchase almond butter again. :-)

Feel better my friend.

PS I love the name Leroy the postman. Makes me giggle.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Deb, My blogger cabinet stash cabinet is really just the bottom shelf of one cabinet…and it’s mostly filled with goodies from you. :)

marla January 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm

OK, I love your photos using all the goodies we sent you!! Hopefully you are feeling better today :)

Nicole January 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Must.Try.Coconut.Butter.NOW!!!

I love the weatherman comment. We got an inch of snow last night and schools were delayed 2 hours, federal offices closed…did they freak out down there over your dusting? lol

Get better!!! XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Nicole, Yes, they announced on Wednesday night that schools would be closed on Thursday…before one flake even hit the ground.

The Deranged Housewife January 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I know you get a lot of comments and don’t know whether you’ll even see this, but I had to de-lurk to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog and how clever about making things you are. I’m writing here because your kabocha soup fascinated me–I eat roasted kabocha like it’s candy and was wondering why you’d “waste” it in a soup. Today, I had some leftover roasted delicata squash and since it’s about 3 degrees here in Chicago, decided to make your soup. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It was just what I needed! I added about 1/2 of a canned chipotle to give it even more heat, then stirred in some Greek yogurt and feel like I’ll never be hungry again. I’ve been a foodie nearly all my life and love how you eat so simply and so well. You make it look as easy as it actually is once we stop worrying about it and just cook. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas. TDH–The Deranged Housewife

{ 2 trackbacks }