Veggie Addict

by HEAB on January 9, 2010

I’m feeling so much better, almost 100%. In fact, all that remains of this week’s nasty cold is a hacking cough. Lovely. :)

After working on an early morning client, I did my first workout from Lindsey in 4 days. My body was so happy to be up and moving again. My workout consisted of a 5 minute warm-up on the stationary bike followed by a few supersets using dumbbells and a balance ball. Leg curls on the balance ball are not easy! To cool down, I took Einstein on a 30 minute walk in the snow. Exercise, I missed you. I truly did!

How many of you out there eat an obscene amount of vegetables? I hear about those people that won’t touch a vegetable, and my brain can’t even fathom it…a veggie-less life?!? Honestly, if at least one meal a day (if not more) isn’t 90% green, I feel gross. This girl needs her greens!

Some of my green meals as of late…

Spinach salad with baked tilapia, hummus dressing, and Gina’s raw chili cheese crackers.

Last night’s dinner…

A humongous bowl of roasted kale, but wait, that’s not all…

Hidden underneath the kale was spiralized zucchini squash, steamed Brussels sprouts, and roasted tempeh.

CD and I tore our way through 10 pounds of Brussels sprouts last week…TEN. I sometimes wonder if our skin will turn green.

Football is going to be on in our house all day…which means I’ll be curled up next to my hubby with a good book. I’ll leave you with this comic sent to me by Rachel. So cute. :)

Picture 1.png

One more thing, exciting savings from YogaDownload:

40% OFF your entire order!!
We here at YogaDownload want to help you get off to a good start with your New Years’ resolutions by offering you a BIG discount on all of our video, audio and meditation classes. For a limited time receive 40% off your entire order at YogaDownload.com!!

Simply enter the coupon code: NewYearsRez during checkout to receive your discount!

HURRY!! The sale ends at midnight (EST) on Monday Jan. 11th.

Ameena January 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I couldn’t fathom a life without vegetables since that makes up 90% of what I eat! Glad you are feeling better!

Evan Thomas January 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I don’t get none veggie lovers either. I just downed a nice big bowl of brussels, sweet potato, and tofu. Sooo good. I have to imagine if people just tried around they’d find some veggie they like

Run Sarah January 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

That comic is so cute! That kale dish look so good…yum! I am always shocked if I see someones dinner with no greenery on it, doesnt seem ‘right’ to me.

universitycooking January 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I’m with you on the greens thing. I *love* vegetables. People look at me funny when i order a veggie burger or meatless entree and proceed to tell them that it’s because sometimes i just like veggies better than meat.

I definitely eat waay more veggies than meat. In face whenever i end up purchasing meat at the grocery store i always end up freezing it because i get to preoccupied with the veggies i bought to make something with meat.

I think a lot of people have just never had tasty veggies, or they just don’t want to give them a chance.

angnxd January 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

My husband HATES veggies its really hard because I make him dinner with no veggies and mine made with loads. I think its just how his family is, everytime I eat with them I pile on the veggies and they stare at my plate like i’m a crazy person!

Becky Edgeworth January 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

i’m a 90% veggie girl too. wouldn’t know what to eat w/out access to fruits and veggies. i’ve already worked my way through 3.5 lbs of brussels this week so I’m right there with you.

Mama Pea January 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I wish my skin would turn green. Mixed with my orange, I’d be a nice deep brown. Gorgeous! So glad you are feeling better!!!

lindsey January 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

glad you are feeling better!

♥ lindsey

Rachel January 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Wow, so much green! I’m going to check out that yoga website.. I’ve never used it before.

Jessica January 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Your new workouts sound awesome girl!

janetha January 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

great to hear you are feeling better! if you do turn green i will just have to start calling your kermie. have a great weekend, heather :)

MaryZ January 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I’m glad you are feeling better! I’m a total veggie freak…my co-workers make fun of me for bringing a huge salad for breakfast and then have more veggies at lunch. The guy who sits next to me said, I don’t even remember the last time I had a vegetable that wasn’t fried! ICK!

ohhmay January 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I know what you mean about the green! My family bought 4 boxes of baby spinach last Sunday and we were out by tuesday. I’ve been known to eat a full pound of snap peas or asparagus in one sitting. YUMMM.
So glad you’re feeling better… I think I’m going the opposite way though! :-(

eaternotarunner January 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Emily GG January 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Oh my goodness I am such a veggie and fruit addict. Actually my skin, especially in my hands, is tinted orange from all the orange squash and carrots I eat. I have not met a vegetable I did not love.

Tamzin January 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I know people that don’t eat veg are the same people that eat meals that are all the same colour, wrong! Bring on the rainbow! I just had a huge plate of veg and now my tummy is happy. Your dishes all look divine x

Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Hooray for feeling better!!!!

Lauren January 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Glad you are feeling better and getting some easy exercise. Please do keep it easy though, you wouldn’t want to relapse your progress in healing! ;)

I feel like I am turning shades of green somedays and orange other days. With all of the veggies I consume, I guess it’s only natural that my skin starts to glow the hues of what we eat, right? ;)

Have a wonderful Saturday Heather!

Marcia January 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I *love* veggies. My mom and my inlaws think we are weird. Like a lot of people, our diets come and go with our work schedules. But for the most part, the 3 of us eat about 25-30 lbs of produce a week. I think I eat at least half that total (I’m better at fruit than the spouse, and the kiddo is, well, small.)

I mean if you do the math…9 servings/day for an adult is about 2 lbs (assuming 4 oz per serving). About half that for a kid and you are looking at 5 lbs/day, 35 lbs/week.

Trail January 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm

So glad to hear that you’re feeling better! I can’t understand people who hate veggies either! I definitely related to universitycooking: when we ate meat, we would ALWAYS end up freezing it because we had it so rarely.

Erica January 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm

hahaha – as I sit here eating an entire bag of carrots…..yes- I <3 the veggies too! 10 lbs of brussels? That sounds like one incredible week to me :) We'll be rocking the football over here too! Enjoy your day

Justine January 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Oh my goodness- vegetables/fruit are my life! I know it is kind of a tacky resto, but one of my favourite things to do is go to the “Souper Salad” that is near my house and just eat until I can hardly move! I know it is no bueno to stuff yourself like that, but it isn’t very often and the wonderful part is is that it is ALL vegetables! I don’t even have dessert there. Well, I do, but it is only because I save (my favourite part!) sweet potato for last.

Veggiesmack January 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Love veggies! Don’t know how some people live without them!

Carrie @ I See Monsters January 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I honestly don’t understand what people eat for lunch/dinner if they don’t eat vegetables. Meat and some sort of grain only? How boring. I would go crazy.

pureblissnutrition January 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Omg. I can eat a forrest of vegetables! In fact, it is sometimes slightly embarrassing when out to dinner and I order 3-5 extra sides to go with my entree. My sister won’t eat veggies though unless they are sauteed in butter and garlic and decorated (or rather, drenched) in ketchup. Mmm. But I love that too, though. I have a weakness for ketchup.

N.D. January 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

see right now I’m in this zone where your food pictured does not look like anything I want to eat.. trying to get back to my veggie zone.

Abby January 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm

YA for feeling better! Your massive plate of veggie goodness is right up my alley.. perfection! :)
Happy Saturday!

erintakescontrol January 9, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Love my green veggies!!! I can go thru a large bag of spinach in a day, and the same goes for broccoli – I can go thru 3-5 large heads daily! Add in my love for orange and we’re all good! I can’t imagine life without veggies!!!

plamarie January 9, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Veggies make the body happy. Enjoy the book on this comfy day!

Danielle January 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Vegetables make up 50% of my food pyramid. I can’t even imagine not having them!
Glad you’re feeling better :)

Kristen January 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

At work back in the summer, someone had left fresh green bell peppers from their garden in the break room. I sliced one up asap for a snack! One of my coworkers was so grossed out by my eating one. I couldn’t believe it!!

Jillian January 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Brussels Sprouts!!!! I am so in love with them too dear Heather. I told Maddy that I may indeed turn into a B sprout. Hugs… thanks for my comments. Monika, you and I would def be friends if you lived here. Doing anything in June? Want to come to Mexico with the girls and I? Dani, Staci, Jess, Maddy…the whole crew. Dani’s sister owns some villas in Puerto Viarta (sp?) that we get to stay in for free! You are soooo invited dear one. We are figuring out the dates soon here. Anywhoo…just throwing it out there! Big hugs!

Maria (realfitmama) January 9, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Heather,
That meal looks amazing (minus the fish for me) and the salad gave me a great idea for a meal this week! Glad you’re feeling better…

Susan January 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Bahaha, that comic is awesome. I have a draft to almond butter on the go as well ;)

TEN POUNDS!? You guys are champs!

Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills January 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm

My boyfriend had a cold last week and is left with a hacking cough too. He feels fine, but sounds awful. Here is something that is helping him that may help you too:

* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 Tablespoon honey
* 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
* 2 Tablespoons water
Mix and take by the teaspoon.

(Source: http://www.pitt.edu/~cjm6/sp99cough.html)

It tastes awful, but it really helps. He has been a big baby and has only taken a teaspoon at a time, but I think two or three teaspoons would really snuff out a cough for quite awhile (especially before bed).

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Jessica! I have everything to make this. Cough has settled down, but will try it if I start coughing again tonight.

Tiffany January 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I love brussel sprouts too! I could probably go through 10 lbs in a week with my boyfriend as well. He eats them by the 4-cupful. He eats A LOT but he’s so little… sounds like CD! And yay for the yogadownload discount! Which downloads would you recommend to get nice and sweaty?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Tiffany, The Forest Yoga is great – your quads will be BURNING. The core yoga and all the classes with weights will help tone those muscles quite nicely as well, and all the Dave Farmar classes are challenging…but he talks…a lot! ;)

Pure2Raw twins January 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm

You know we love our veggies and greens :) A girl definitely needs her veggies!!!! Glad you are feeling better

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Pure2Raw twins, Good luck in your marathon tomorrow!!!!

chrysta January 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm

so glad you are feeling better hon!! I’ll tell ya, I eat crazy amounts of veggies. Even the guy at Whole foods was making fun of me. haha. I just cant deal without my veggie loads=) so good!! Thanks so much for the awesome yoga link! Have a wonderful weekend!

Anna January 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Glad you’re feeling better! That is a GREAT plate of greens!

Ashlei January 9, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I used to live a veggie-less life. I can’t imagine going back to that! I’d feel so sluggish and awful all the time.

Ashlei January 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I used to live a veggie-less life, and I can’t imagine going back to. I’d feel so sluggish and awful all the time!

Cherie January 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I love my veggies too! Glad you’re feeling better. I don’t want to be Debbie Downer…but I have to ask if you knew that eating Tilapia has the same amount of bad fats as a doughnut (because they are farm raised on corn)!! If you’d like to read more about it and get a list of healthier fish choices check out this link….www.alsearsmd.com/tag/tilapia/. I love fish & seafood too. Do you have the grocery chain Aldi’s? They have a great price on wild caught salmon.

Hope you & CD enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hey Cherie, Thanks for the heads up. We only buy wild tilapia. No farm raised fish here. :)

Gina January 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I love my veggies, especially spinach – I get the gigantic bag of spinach from Costco and it’s gone in, like, 3 days. Fortunately my family likes the veggies too, even my 7yo daughter. She loves broccoli, snap beans, cauliflower, etc. – just like her mama!

eatmovelove January 9, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I love veggies too – as much as chocolate and the other stuff…but mostly filling ones versus the “leaves”?? haha ;) Glad your feeling better anyhow! Does it get cold down in Nashville? I better get outside now even when it is nice out , it’s still cold and I’m a wimp…what, only 3 more months and it’s spring right :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Eatmovelove, It was in the teens all day today. When I walked the dog, it was 14 degrees Fahrenheit. The streets are covered with ice. Brrrr.

glidingcalm January 9, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I am definitely a veggie addict, but you are queen of green!! I wish it were warmer though!! I miss green smoothies!!! Plus, i rarely am able to stand a salad!! I had one today for a snack though, and massive amounts of broccoli and asparagus with my din din……so I guess I am still managing in the winter months…….but BOY is it so much harder!

Jess January 9, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I am a definite veggie and fruit addict! For instance tonight’s dinner: chicken, GREEN BEANS, a small bit of mashed potatoes (veggies!), huge SALAD, and I went back for more salad and grapes. Veggies are just great! I sure love salad :)

<3 jess
xoxo

gaby January 9, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! I hardly ever get sick and when I do start to feel a twinge of sickness or allergy it goes away in a day or two and I give full credit to the outrageous amount of vegetables I consume. Seriously, I go through more in 2 days than my family of 5 goes through in a month at their house ( I have to raid their kitchen every time I visit and it drives me crazy that they just let things rot!)
I’m actually getting a little nervous for my upcoming trip to Argentina. I’ll be traveling for over a month and the whole country pretty much lives off of pasta and beef. Not ideal for a vegan, especially not a green addicted one. I just don’t feel as good eating as many carbs, and my system gets messed up without all my veggies to ease things through :X I already went out and bought some digestive enzyme pills to take with me in anticipation of not being able to find anything without butter or dairy in it. I don’t want to ruin my travels by having a constant stomachache.
Anyways, I’m rambling, but I’d also love to hear more about your workouts. I need some good easy to do in small apartments ideas :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 7:41 am

Gaby, Do not worry my friend. You WILL find eats. Don’t let it stress out b/c you should enjoy every minute of your trip!

Here is a great workout you can do anywhere. The first time I did it, I was so sore the next day that it hurt to inhale. I’m not kidding! http://www.bodybuildersboard.com/intense-cardio-interval-workout-92.html

Cindy January 9, 2010 at 11:34 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. a veggie less life is such a gross one. but if all you eat are canned mushy veg’s than maybe I can see why.

the are def. a base for us!
xo

candice January 9, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Haha, I love veggies, but I think I love complex carbs more. :) A mean green meal is fabulous, but there’s just nothing like a big bowl of “everything” bounded together by my carb of choice. <3

fitlizzio January 9, 2010 at 11:52 pm

i have been known to eat a dinner sized plate full of green beans at one sitting. like, every day :)

Katie January 10, 2010 at 12:39 am

This topic is creeping up all over the place, I just posted about my favorite veggie bowl meal a couple days ago. I buy those huge containers of spinach at costco for myself and polish it off in about three days. And I love me some brussels, but DAMN, 10 pounds?!?! Impressive.

fatassassin January 10, 2010 at 3:03 am

Please PLEASE do a post on tempeh. I tried to work some into my stir fry tonight, and I didn’t find it appealing at all. I boiled it for ten minutes, before marinating it in soy and fish sauce (hey, maybe it was that)
and then i stir fried it.

Help!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 7:44 am

fatassassin, Oh my gosh, I LOVE tempeh, but a lot of people don’t like the texture. Tofu bothers my stomach, but tempeh doesn’t. Has something to do with it being fermented, and personally, I like it sooo much better than tofu. Not slimy or mush at all. I often eat it plain straight from the package, but I also love it roasted. Marinate in Braggs or peanut sauce and roast in a 400 degree oven 20 to 20 minutes. Flip at least once during cooking. I LOVE IT!

Nicole January 10, 2010 at 9:17 am

I love veggies too. However, I have to be careful because they tend to give me heartburn and/or upset stomachs. I love salad but I always repeat lettuce, no matter what kind it is. And spinach — I have to use spinach in moderation. Onions, garlic, all the things I love…it’s unfortunate too because I usually end up suffering after a huge plate of greens–especially if they are raw. (another thing that really sucks)

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Susan January 10, 2010 at 9:27 am

I am like you – love my veggies! I’ve been known to eat 1/2-3/4 of a bag of frozen veggies in one sitting! (Coated in hummus of course).
Glad you’re feeling bettah mama!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yay for feeling better and for greens. You and Averie and Beeks have had me inspired to get kale and they haven’t had it here in any of the so. cal stores I’ve checked- what’s up with that!!??

Have a nice cuddly day! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 10:05 am

Deb, Have you looked in the bagged greens section? I always buy pre-washed and chopped kale. I’m lazy that way. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 10, 2010 at 10:17 am

I am so glad you are feeling better! Life would not be complete without veggies! I could not survive!

gaby January 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

Thanks Heather! That video looks intense haha, I’m looking forward to not being able to move.
I’m going to try to just relax a little because I definitely want to make the most of my trip, but one of the wonderful pastimes in Argentina is going to coffee shops with friends and family and getting to indulge in pastries or croissants with dulce de leche, but as much as I’d love to just be free to go get those things at coffee shops, my stomach would most likely explode from all the lactose.
But I’m going to just do that kind of thing once in a while, and focus on the other non food related joys of immersing myself in the culture and carry around a lot of fruit :)
Speaking of veggies, I had to tell you about my green monster this morning because I ended up using a whole 16 oz bag of spinach in a “hot buttered rum” inspired smoothie- banana, almond milk, honey, spinach, rum extract, vanilla extract, tons of cinnamon!
I feel like I’m going to turn into superwoman!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 10:26 am

Gaby, 16 ounces of spinach in one smoothie? You’re my superhero. :)

Shelly January 10, 2010 at 10:31 am

I woke up and had a giant bowl of sauteed kale topped with 2 sunny-side eggs and hot sauce for breakfast yesterday. :) Dinner was cabbage and kale soup with potato, carrots, tomato, barley and chicken sausage. Oddly enough, I had granola and milk for lunch.
Lunch today is going to be cooked spinach with boiled eggs. Yum! (We’ll ignore the fact that I’ve had hot cocoa for breakfast. :P )
I seriously can’t get enough of the green leafy’s when it’s cold outside!

DouglasH January 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hey Heather, been a while since I posted.

Gotta believe in the good ole veggies. Can’t say they are a big part of my diet. but Tomatoes (I know they are fruit) and lima beans are about the only ones I don’t like.

Thought it was kinda funny on the comment about bell peppers. I can do the same thing, just slice them and eat em.

Don’t think I have ever told ya. I lost my Mom last March, after that I went up to close to 250 LBS, was also unemployed, so probably helped with not gaining an excessive amount.

As of Jan 1 I was down to 199 LBS, first time I have seen that first number less than 2 in at least 4 years. Primary issue is High Blood Pressure, well lets just say, high enough that when I go to the doc he wants to put me in the hospital each time.

If you hear anything on that front let me know.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I love it DouglasH.

So sorry about your mom, but I’m glad you are taking care of yourself. What is the one thing that has really helped you to lose the weight?

Bekah January 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I go crazy with no veggies too! Even too much fruit make me kinda nauseous. Veggies (and protein, hello) are what me happy. :)

DouglasH January 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm

The one thing, is there such in weight loss, I guess the biggest one thing would be portion control. I don’t count calories, just eyeball everything, eat things that help me feel full, protein or fiber at every meal. Currently at 40% veggies, although a couple of months I did go full vegetarian with only veggies sources of protein.

I would be known to go through a 12 pack even a 24 pack of mt dew in a day. Kinda fell back into that when my mom died. So cutting out empty calories is really high on that list also.

I have almost totally eliminated all added sugar products from my diet. Being prediabetic, have learn to watch for insulin spikes and try to maintain a good energy metabolism throughout the day.

Funny thing is that I eat more now than I did when I was gaining the weight, just better more nutritional food more ofthen through out the day.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm

D, Mt. Dew – hard habit to break. Been there. Switched to diet. Even harder habit to break! Congrats on your weight loss. Sounds like you’re on the right path. :)

Gena January 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

You had me at “humongous bowl of kale.”

Maggie January 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

So glad you’re feeling better :)

Yes, I *must* have veggies. I don’t know how people can do without them. I honestly love them. Especially brussels sprouts. I haven’t had my beloved squash in a while… I’m un-orangeing!

Really liked reading all the comments on this post… I’m giving up diet soda (again) and it’s hard, but it’s so much easier to just eliminate something like that than to try to have it in moderation.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Maggie, I cannot do diet soda in moderation either. If it’s 1 Coke Zero, then it might as well be 6.

{ 1 trackback }