What's A Chocolate Lover To Do?

by HEAB on January 11, 2010

People often ask me how I gave up sugar. Well, just because I don’t much eat refined sugar doesn’t mean I don’t eat sweets. Following are some of my favorite HEABified meals & treats…

Craving some chocolate?

Try my Hot Chocolate Soup pictured above (topped with Beeks’ granola and Artisana’s raw Cacao Bliss).

Or how about a mug of hot cocoa?

Simply, pour the following…

into a pot on the stove-top…

Heat through and add sweetener of choice. I sometimes drink it plain or add 1 packet of stevia.

Mmm, warms the soul I tell ya. :)

In the mood for a savory dish? Ok then, let’s talk peanut sauce. Oh my gosh, I LOVE peanut dipping sauce, but have you ever looked at the ingredients on the back of a store bought bottle? Sugar is typically the first or second ingredient listed, but you can easily make your own healthier version. It’s quick and easy too!

For mine, I usually just stir together 2 TBSP crunchy almond butter (or use PB), juice of 1/2 lime (real limes, not the plastic ones – makes a huge difference), 1 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 packet of stevia, and water to thin. You can pour over noodles or rice or simply use as a dipping sauce for any and everything. :)

Peanut sauce with raw zucchini noodles…

See, cutting back on sugar doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods. You just need to get a little creative in your kitchen. :)

Erica January 11, 2010 at 9:55 am

I loveeeeeeeeeee making my own peanut sauce (in fact I’ve never purchased this sauce). So delicious. I like your idea for the hot chocolate too. I will have to give this a go! Thanks HEAB! Hope you had a great weekend

Carolyn January 11, 2010 at 9:55 am

good stuff!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

Chocolate almond milk really changed my life! I use it for sweet cravings all the time, as I do with my protein powder. Chocolate protein shakes have always curbed my cravings for sweets!

Steph January 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

mmmm your homemade peanut sauce sounds really good! I love peanut suace too but I never thought to try and make it myself!

And super great idea for hot chocolate! I tried a dairy free sugar free mix once and it was soooo nasty!! definitely going to try this method instead!

Thanks you rock!

Mish January 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

they don’t have that in oz. tear.

I did 1/2 c. plain yogurt, 2 tsp cocoa powder and 1-2 tsp of sugar alternative (i use xylitol) and 2 tsp peanut butter.

best.pms.dessert.ever

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

Mish, Hehe. :)

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 11, 2010 at 10:09 am

i adore peanut sauce! i’ll be using this recipe soon, it sounds AH-mazing!

Cindy January 11, 2010 at 10:12 am

LOVE this Heab and I come here knowing you are going to provide some support and help for lowering sugar! I just finished my second bout of Low GI eating and as hard as it is, I have really begun to lesson my sweet tooth and find replacements (and omit) treats and sweets from my diet. (even lowering carbs in general) I LOVE IT…my skin clears up, my tummy flattens, and I feel great!

but I am still a recovering sugar holic and it’s hard some days!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!

plamarie January 11, 2010 at 10:12 am

Oh, good idea for the peanut sauce. I was wanting something like that for some raosted veggies the other day. Thanks!

Anna January 11, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks so much for the homemade peanut sauce recipe– the ones at the g. store are usually so fake and sugar-laden!!

strawberrysuitcase January 11, 2010 at 10:19 am

peanut sauce is a great way to have a savory dish and save some money on a big bottle of the store-bought stuff that you might end up not even liking. great idea! hot choc looks fab as well.

Veggiesmack January 11, 2010 at 10:20 am

Love peanut sauce, and I looooove unsweetened chocolate almond milk. I normally use xylitol as a sugar alternative, or I use small amounts of agave. I can only handle the taste of stevia in a few things.

Melissa January 11, 2010 at 10:20 am

Zuch noodles!!! Im looking to get a spiralizer..what kind do you have?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 10:23 am
joy January 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

I <3 that almond milk – I love that it isn't sweetened! I drive further so I can get the unsweeted

Nicci@NiftyEats January 11, 2010 at 10:44 am

I love the looks of the raw zucchini noodles, how did you flavor them. I have one in the fridge staring at me, and I wnat to cook it this week.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 11:19 am

Nicci, The only thing I put on my noodles was the peanut sauce I described above the picture. So yummy! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 11, 2010 at 10:48 am

I can’t wait to get my spiralizer so I can make those noodles with peanut sauce!! YUM!!

eaternotarunner January 11, 2010 at 10:48 am

Peanut sauce is the best! Thanks for the tips :-)

Evan Thomas January 11, 2010 at 10:49 am

Way to show that low sugar does not mean low flavor! I have been loving chocolate avocado pudding this time of year; it must be a general fat craving with these freezing temps. I use plain coconut milk kefir as the wet ingredient

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

LOVE the hot chocolate idea!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle January 11, 2010 at 11:02 am

I haven’t tried Chocolate Almond milk yet.. I guess I need to give it a try.

Ameena January 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

I really love the Chocolate VAB idea…I have only tried the original flavor but I want to try your idea now.

Thanks for the peanut sauce recipe. I am always trying to get away from bottled sauces.

DiningAndDishing January 11, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the tips Heather! I am a chocolate ADDICT and eat a little each day. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to switch things up once in a while with a less sugary option :) .

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Gracie January 11, 2010 at 11:20 am

I recently heated up chocolate almond breeze for “hot cocoa” as well. Christmas morning, actually :) Such a great treat without all of the sugar and calories.

I wish I had the willpower/motivation to give up sugar. I mean, my intake has got to be pretty low because I only drink water and I use stevia as a sweetener, but I’m still stuck on my packaged foods (i.e. cereals, granola bars). I know that there are delicious alternatives to those things, but I just worry that I’ll screw up and let myself down with it. I guess you could say I’m afraid of failing – same thing when it comes to giving up meat!

Even though I tend to be an “all or nothing” type of gal, I think I’m going to try to at least make small changes in the sugar department (and the meat department, for that matter!). And, according to your post, I certainly don’t have to deprive myself from sweets!

Speaking of which, I’ve been *dying* to try your coconut flour pancake recipe (I’m a pancake freak). I just haven’t gotten to the store to get the ingredients yet! Before I do – could you tell me where you get rice protein powder? I haven’t seen it anywhere…only whey protein. I really want to find the rice pp so I can do it right! Please let me know if you get the chance, thanks girl :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

Gracie, I think your small changes are a good way to start. Sounds like you’re already on a good path, and no need to beat yourself up over a few packaged granola bars or cereal. There are definitely plenty of low sugar bars and cereals to choose from out there, and sometimes we all need a little crunch in our lives. :)

I buy my rice protein powder from work. I am a massage therapist and work for an alternative MD. We sell both Jay Robb and Sun Warrior rice protein powders, but Jay is my favorite. If your local health food store doesn’t carry it, you can purchase online at http://www.jayrobb.com.

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 11, 2010 at 11:34 am

I just love the name “Hot Chocolate Soup” sounds so decadent!

Mama Pea January 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I eat TONS of sweets every day, but no sugar. Stevia has changed my life!

Have a great Monday!!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Good examples, all of them! I bought a bottle of Thai chili sauce for a recipe the other day, then looked at the ingredient label (1st mistake, I know) and the top ingredient was indeed sugar! Groooossssss. It’s in the darndest places, but I’m getting pretty skilled at avoiding it. There’s a decent amount of agave in my life, which is not too many steps better, but then I do have a pretty rockin sweet tooth. Probably my biggest accomplishment was switching to dates + figs as my nightly dessert! JUST LIKE CANDY, no joke. A little nut butter thrown in doesn’t hurt either–unsweetened, of course. :)

Tamizn January 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

That’s it I must must MUST make that chocolate soup! Boy it looks good x x

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Peanut sauce is one of my favorites, especially when homemade. Sometimes I add some red pepper flakes to kick it up a notch!

erintakescontrol January 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I love that peanut sauce of yours!!!

Fallon January 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The peanut sauce mixed with the zucchini sounds really good! I just need some limes.

Susan January 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I wish I was not confined to my dorm room microfridge right now so I could make some of these treats!

Gracie January 11, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Great, thanks so much!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Ah man, I have been missing hot chocolate since I went vegan, thank you for the easy substitute! I will definitely have to try it :)

Quix January 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Ok, I MUST try that peanut sauce, it sounds amazing! Thanks for the tips!

eatmovelove January 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Chocolate is good in any way, shape or form :) …I’ll have it all.

I like how your posts are simplistic and yet say so much
;)

Jordan January 11, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’m a huge fan of peanut sauce too! Just made a batch the other day pretty similar to your recipe but added some rice wine vinegar to give it some tang and balance out some of the saltiness. So, so good!

Brooke January 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm

okay, i’m so trying that hot chocolate. i drink regular almond milk everyday. but chocolate…..i just never knew. :P

Chrysta January 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm

awesome post!I too am giving up most refined sugar. I dont really see the need for them in my diet. Plus I think food is sweet enough on its own! But in some cases where a bit of sugar is needed stevia rocks! Your hot chocolate idea is fantastic. I am in love with almond milk so much. What a great idea! and I love the peanut sauce. Have a great day!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love the Chocolate Almond Milk! I have been putting NuNaturals Stevia in it with a little coffee! Chocolate Mocha love is what I call it! YUM!

Mae January 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love unsweetened almond milk!! Have you ever tried Blue Diamond’s almond milk from the refrigerated section? It’s even better than the aseptic packaging!!
(Although I’m not sure if that’s all in my head or not- they still keep for about a month un-opened…)
It makes the best cappuccinos! I’m working on my dairy free cappuccino post right now! ;-)
These are great stevia ideas- I really like the taste of stevia and felt like such a bad girl buying it on the “black market” before it was approved by the FDA hahaha
(It was actually the back section of the Health Food Store. I know, I take risks!)

Amy January 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

omg, first the hot chocolate soup recipe and now the hot chocolate!!! can you write a cookbook please? :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Hi Heather! I love peanut sauce and zuke noodles, too. I posted a recipe last week for what I do! Yours looks awesome, of course! And choc almond milk…can you believe I have never had it??!! I usually just take reg almond milk and add cocoa powder for my own version of choc milk, THEN warm that up. I should just buy choc and save a step, huh!

Thanks for answering the question I had re egg replacer. Flax goo egg. Duh, can’t believe I didnt think of that…on my allergy group yahoogroup boards, the ladies always use flax. Duh! Thanks for the reminder :)

Reigne January 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Mmm. I love almond milk (finally managed to get my hands on some!) but the one and only variety available is very fake… Mostly water, with sugar being the second most prominent ingredient, and only 7% almonds. Talk about sacrilege.

Peanut sauce… delish. Have you ever tried Gado Gado? It’s vege’s (broccoli, carrot, cabbage, maybe beans…) on an (optional) bed of rice, topped with tofu, or boiled eggs, and peanut sauce. Very, very, good.

You are so right about sugar! I’m trying to cut down too (mainly for skin reasons) but can’t find stevia or agave at a (relatively) reasonable price. Any other suggestions for sweeteners?
:) Reigne.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Reigne, I’m a stevia girl, but a lot of readers prefer xylitol. However, not sure if it would be much cheaper. Sorry, I’m not much help!

No, never had Gado Gado, but it sounds like something I would love. :)

Bekah January 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Heather, we eat SO similar. I’m telling you what. Sugar makes me break out, and I gooo crazy in the kitchen, if I have too much sugar. (For instance baking, one little taste of dough, and I want the whole bowl) but I eat sweet breakfasts, and stuff like this above ALL the time. (OH, and your oaties! yumm!)

Yayy granola! What a great use.

Kate January 11, 2010 at 7:24 pm

i feel like is a dumb question, but how do you make the zuc noodles? just buy a spiralizer and let it do it’s thing?

i am suddenly reminded of something an old boss said, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people…… ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Kate, Not a dumb question. Yes, buy a spiralizer. You put your veggies in it, and turn a little handle, and voila…noodles! Super easy. :)

Mandy January 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Oooh chocolate almond milk. I really love the regular type. Definitely want to try the chocolate type though. I loove chocolate.

Sagan January 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Way to be creative, Heather! I like doing the same kinds of things. There are so many options.

Also unsweetened choc (AND vanilla) Almond Breeze is so good in oatmeal. Especially with a spoonful of almond butter on top ;)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) January 11, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I heat up unsweetened chocolate almond breeze for dessert when I’m at my parents house. I don’t add any sweetener, but it still hits the spot!

Jess January 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Okay, that’s it. I NEED a spiralizer. Peanut sauce sounds glorious!
<3 jess
xoxo

brittac January 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I totally agree – give up the sugar not the dessert!

Katie January 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

I just ate that a couple nights ago. My spiralizer is back in business! And my sweet tooth isn’t slowly killing me now that I discovered stevia!

fitandfortysomething January 12, 2010 at 7:40 am

I love chocolate almond milk too!

Holly January 12, 2010 at 8:27 am

peanut sauce = my life. once i start eating it, there is simply no stopping the beast.

Diary of a Nutritionist January 12, 2010 at 8:30 am

Yum. I love chocolate and chocolatey recipes. I used to be asked how I could have so much restraint when it comes to not eating certain foods… in which case, I totally agree with your approach- it’s not about restraint at all, I just get really creative in the kitchen. Who knew an avocado could do so many things or that almond milk could be the perfect hot cocoa. great post.

Amy January 12, 2010 at 10:09 am

Heather – you rock. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I bought some coconut flour and I’m determined to turn it into pancakes somehow for hubs this week. Can’t wait to try.

Thanks for getting creative in the kitchen and sharing your info – so the challenged folk like me can still learn and try to ‘be’ like HEAB!

Rachel January 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm

These are all such great ideas! What are the benefits of eliminating refined sugar from your diet? Or, maybe, what are the drawbacks of keeping it in?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Rachel, Our bodies do not need sugar. They need glucose to function, but you can get all that your body requires from complex carbs and vegetables. Many argue we don’t even need the complex carbs, but not sure how I feel about that…love my oats!

Sugar, natural sweeteners included, are not necessary. They will in no way benefit you unless you are an endurance athlete. My body doesn’t tolerate sugar well at all. I’m insulin resistant, and it goes straight to my belly. Giving up sugar helped me lose all my weight, and without it in my life, the weight has not come back.

{ 5 trackbacks }