Smaller Meals Success

by HEAB on January 12, 2010

Clean Eating intrigues me. I know there are different definitions of this way of eating, but when I think clean eating, I think of the magazine. Have you ever looked at some of their suggested menu plans? They recommend 3 meals a day with a morning and afternoon snack, with calories ranging from 1,500 to 1,800. The focus is on protein, complex carbs, and some fat (not enough in my opinion). I’ve tried this way of eating back when I did Body For Life, and honestly, it didn’t go so well. I was eating 6 mini-meals a day, but I was always hungry. All I could think about was my next snack meal, and 1/2 serving of yogurt + 1 scoop of protein powder did nothing to satiate my hunger. Looking back, I probably wasn’t eating enough, and again, I think the fat recommendations were too low. So, after 3 months on the program, I went back to my usual 3 big meals a day with an afternoon snack. However, for some reason, I always want to try smaller meals/more protein again. I think it’s because I see other women who eat like this, and I covet their physique. I won’t lie, I want Mizfit’s arms. :)

Anyway, since I’m switching up my workouts this month, I decided to play around with my eating. Since I don’t do well with menu plans (too much structure), I’m doing my own thing. Besides, the thought of eating 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup low fat milk, and 2 Weetabix whole grain biscuits for breakfast (taken straight from the pages of Clean Eating) sounds like my idea of hell. When I mentioned that I was sticking to a diet higher in protein this month, many of you requested more details. So, yesterday, I recorded all of my eats. Are you ready?

After a 7 AM 30 minute walk with the pups, I came home and made a smoothie. Yesterday’s smoothie bombed. So, this is actually a photo of today’s breakfast:

Almost lost some of it there, but no worries, my tongue caught it. :) This amazingly delicious and filling smoothie was inspired pimped by two of my favorite girls (Deb & Allie):

2 cups water

15 ice cubes

30 grams Jay Robb chocolate rice protein powder

1 TBSP cocoa powder

1 packet stevia

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

few drops of almond extract

1/3 tsp xanthan gum

3/4 tsp guar gum

2 TBSP cooked oat groats swirled in at the end for a lovely “chew” factor (Brilliant Deb!)

Topped with spoonful Deb’s sunflower seed butter

Yesterday’s lame-O smoothie did not keep me full for long at all, but later in the day, I realized it was probably from lack of fat. Hopefully, the addition of nut butter this morning will help.

The next few hours involved housework and 20 minutes of plyometric exercises followed by 5 minutes of ab work. 40 burpees later, I needed some food! Around 11 AM, I ate the following…

2 La Tortilla Factory tortillas with 1/2 grilled chicken breast and hummus. This did nothing for my hunger (again, not much fat), and 2 hours later, I was eating again…

This was about 3/4 of a small roasted kabocha squash pureed with water, Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder and Deb’s Brazil nut butter. This did the trick. My hunger finally subsided. My afternoon was busy with massage clients, and then I received a phone call from a good friend. It was moving day for her and her husband, and in-between their 2 year old and trying to unpack boxes, she was a bit overwhelmed…oh, and she was also going into labor with their second child. So, I whipped up a meatloaf for CD’s dinner, grabbed a Think Thin bar for myself (I know, contains both dairy and soy, but SO GOOD!), and went over to help unpack boxes. While I was there, my friend’s contractions were 10 minutes apart, and by the time I left, they were coming every 5 minutes. I had a text message this morning with the news that Lennon, their little baby girl, was born at 1:05 AM. :)

I didn’t get home until about 8 and made the world’s ugliest egg white omelet filled with artichoke hearts, spinach, onion, mushrooms, and shrimp with a big smear of hummus on top.

Dessert was HEABifed hot chocolate

and a few squares of dark chocolate…

I think this day of smaller meals went really well once I got some fat into my system. Without it, I just feel like a bottomless bit. I tracked the protein for the day, and I was at 140 grams. That a lot compared to my usual intake, but more protein is the goal for the month. So, protein…check!

I have more to say on this topic, but this post is long enough. Would love to hear your thoughts on clean eating. Any Tosca Reno wannabes out there? :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 12, 2010 at 9:56 am

I love the Think Thin bars, too – but do they have alot of sugar alcohols in them? I think I remembered someone being in them that upset my stomach?? But the tasted fabulous!!

I really like clean eating magazine. I think it is a huge improvement over Oxygen – I used to be an avid Oxygen fan since I competed, but recently they have showcased 21-day fat loss programs and crap like that that I think its ridiculous. Clean eating is much more well balanced and I really like the recipes. I usually try them in hopes to like veggies more.

I, too have always gone back and forth between 3-4 larger meals, and 5-6 smaller meals. I think one thing that is important to it is your schedule. Some people just can do 5-6 smaller meals. I have looked my best with 5-6 smaller meals, so who knows! I think it’s all mental for me. :)

Susan January 12, 2010 at 9:56 am

That smoothie looks like a chocolate milkshake! Drooooolll

At school I end up eating a lot of small meals, but I love when I go home and eat those 3 large meals a day – so satisfying. Good to hear the small ones are working for you now though!

Mish January 12, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have realised that I am a protein machine. I need protein. I keeps me full, balanced and happy.

Cindy January 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

I have been trying to do the 6 mini meals for a while but my food day doesn’t start till after 9 or 10 and that is a smoothie or green juice, than lunch than a 4 pm snack than dinner and normally a snack

so that is 5 mini meals and a juice or smoothie is no fat, lunches are typically low fat (not because I am trying) but a veggie based lunch is pretty low fat/protein…and by 4 I am HUNGRY and needing fat. I HEAR YOU. Clean eating is what I strive for every day and low sugar.

it’s gonna an interesting year. 140g of protien….OMG GIRL. I’m lucky to get 50 in. LUCKY. Fats are easier for me to get in. Girl loves her coconut oil. (and nut butters too)

I guess I need to crack open that humungous jar of pp I just bought.

loved todays post (well, I love them all) but thanks.

Whit January 12, 2010 at 10:09 am

Congrats to your friends on the new baby! How exciting!

Evan Thomas January 12, 2010 at 10:12 am

Clean eating to me is nothing artificial: colors, flavors, preservatives, etc. Then the stuff that is questionable to me is sausage flavored or chicken style soy products, which are all-natural and I love but not exactly filled with ingredients I recognize.

I definitely feel better with fats and don’t find complex carbs from starches to do much more for me than be a good base for other foods. And after hearing success stories of the Paleo diet I’m pretty convinced it’s a good one for people along those lines. At the same time, I’m torn because I’m also convinced whole grains are good for the body and I could never give up oatmeal or oatbran, even if they might not be “filling”.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Evan, Paleo and Primal eating both make so much sense…but like you, I’m torn when it comes to complex carbs. Not 100% sure whether our body needs them or not, but I’m not giving mine up. :)

Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 12, 2010 at 10:13 am

I used to do 5 or 6 mini meals during the day but it left me so hungry. I was constantly starving for my next meal. Now I have 2 or 3 big meals and maybe a snack during the day. I prefer eating more food at once than little meals. It keeps the hunger at bay.

Therese January 12, 2010 at 10:14 am

Maybe I’m weird but I think your omlette looks delicious.

I absolutely LOVE the La Tortilla Factory brand tortillas. If only they had cleaner ingredients. I can’t eat more than one a day though because all the sodium just makes me feel icky.

Oh and burpee are the most henious exercies ever. They suck. I’m sure you got a killer workout!

Anna January 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hmmm…I’m such a volume eater that meal plans that include “mini meals” usually don’t work for me. I, too, am intrigued by the concept of clean eating, however. I’ll have to check out that zine!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

clean eating is great, but you’re right…there’s definitely a need for a little more fat in it since it helps slow digestion and keep you full longer. the smoothie (from today) looks awesome! :)

Veggiesmack January 12, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’ve tried doing the smaller meals, but having 3 squares and a small snack or two seems to work out better for me. I need to feel full after a meal or I just start grazing like crazy.

Lara January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am

I really like the Clean Eating Magazine and Tosca’s cookbook. You got to hand it to her, she looks awesome at 50 but I do think her approach is a bit extreme i.e. she considers a non-fat latte a “treat” and that wine should only be consumed a few times a year.

I do best with 3 main meals and 1-2 smaller snacks. I aim for 1 gram/lb of protein, some fat and tons of veggies. That keeps me the most satiated and happy.

Oh and MizFits’ wonderful arms have all to do with weight training, not eating mini meals. There has actually been research into mini meals vs 3 squares and neither is better or worse for boosting metabolism, fat loss, muscle building, etc. That is a myth. It is whatever works best for each person and helps them adhere to a healthy eating plan.

eaternotarunner January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am

I think I am just now realizing how important fats and protein are for staying full! Carbs and veggies alone just don’t do it for me….

erin January 12, 2010 at 10:32 am

i LOVE clean eating. a couple months ago, i participated in a body fat loss challenge at my gym, and beyond the cardio (oh, the cardio!) and weights, clean eating was my [not so] secret weapon. i love the magazine for the recipe ideas, but i’ve found the books to be more helpful. basically, i followed the recommended foods and increased the proteins and green veggies whenever i was gettin’ hangry. you’re right about one’s focus shifting to what/ when the next meal will be, but i found that process kind of rewarding. i don’t know, something about the combination of discipline, anticipation and self-sufficiency made me feel really… alive. and now i sound batshit crazy; don’t let me dissuade you! really, it’s a flexible, forgiving little plan (dare i say way of life?) and i think your approach sounds great and that you’re destined for success!

this board is SO helpful, and its members are amazing and full of advice and super stoked on eating clean: http://toscareno.proboards.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for the link Erin. I’m going to check it out later tonight. :)

molly @thevegandorm January 12, 2010 at 10:35 am

daaaayyuummm….140 gees?! i should really track my protein for a day, because i sort of just assume i’m getting plenty. way to go on getting that much!

S. January 12, 2010 at 10:39 am

Hi Heather. I eat 6 meals a day. But your 5 meals are small. My breakfast would be a calorie-equal to about 2-3 of your meals. So really if I look at your 5 meals, I would be having the same things, but combine them into about 3 meals, and then add 3 snacks.
Plus, I don’t focus on protein that much. I think 140 g is very high, and I don’t know if that is something that is healthy for long-term. I hope it works well for you.
My husband and I are fans of Dr.Oz. His ideas are based on balance with healthy whole grains, fruits, vegetables and both animal and vegan options. I like that and its helped my husband trim down and lower his blood pressure. We feel balanced and we get plenty of healthy grains. We also like Dr.Oz because he shows you that dessert has a place in the diet. We try to follow a 80-20 rule. But we slip up! You should have an interesing experiment for the month though Ms. Heather.

Sarah R January 12, 2010 at 10:39 am

I like the concept of clean eating–eating the least processed foods that you can and like Evan, nothing artificial. I also enjoy the magazine, but haven’t every followed the meal plans, just the recipes. I just love that they are full of real/healthy ingredients that I can find in my local grocery stores. I haven’t ever read the books though.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

Clean Eating magazine is the one magazine I subscribe to and I love it! I don’t like to follow strick meal plans either, but the idea of only eating whole healthy balanced meals (and more smaller meals) is what seems to work for me. I’ve never been able to just eat 3 large meals, I’ve gotta have my snacks! 5-6 smaller meals/snacks work perfecto for me. Everyone’s just gotta find their own balance since we’re not all made the same.

erin January 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

and as far as the wine thing goes, i think the general consensus on the boards (with Tosca’s added approval) is that a glass of wine is fine once or twice a week. her point is that if you’re aiming for serious (and rapid) weight loss/toning, the added sugars aren’t going to do you any favors. people do great on the plan with super treat meals- it’s not about deprivation. i definitely had pizza and beer one friday, brownies the next, etc (and managed to enjoy and look forward to the meals in between). The hope is to limit the biggies to once or twice a week, instead of a whole cheat day, or what have you. and i sound preachy now. i just really love the plan, and while it’s probably not for everyone, it’s definitely adaptable and doable. and judging by your eats, it really shouldn’t be a problem for you :D

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self January 12, 2010 at 10:42 am

I agree with what some others have said…I eat continually throughout the day, which leaves me feeling full and energized. But I still eat 3 larger meals, and then just add 2-3 smaller snacks. I think everyone’s body is different. Eating every few hours works way better for me because I get full really fast and can’t stomach too large of a meal…but then end up hungry again shortly after! But I know some people who can handle much larger meals and then not feel hungry for hours and hours.

Erika January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am

Not a Tosca wannabe, but I definitely am trying to figure out a diet (or “eating style”) that is something like clean eating/bfl, but the calories they set aren’t going to cut it for me, so with modification. ;)

Personally, my calorie requirements are closer to 2500-3000. I feel like I do a good job making the “standard 2000 calorie/day diet” pretty clean, but once I reach that point, the mindset switches to – I’ve hit all of my food groups, eaten a balanced diet, and then end up with the remaining 500 – 1000 calories being junk. I’m not banning treats or indulgences – I’m a firm believer in the daily dessert – but there is no reason to eat 4 bowls of strawberry yogurt covered TJ’s O’s just because I have the wiggle room. Do you know what I mean?

Annnnyways, my novel aside, THANKS for sharing this post! It gives me some good ideas! And quick question – you have a VitaMix, right? I’m just guessing based on the 15 ice cubes. I would give a kidney for a Vitamix (maybe my appendix for a Blendtec…)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Erika, Yes, I have a Vita-Mix. I’ve heard many Blendtec owners rave about their blenders, but I will always be a Vita-Mix girl at heart. BEST.BLENDER.EVER.

Jen January 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

I lost over 120 pounds eating 5-6 small meals per day, but I was also always hungry and thinking about food. I now eat 3 regular sized meals, with one small late afternoon snack. I have maintained my weight loss and am happier eating this way.

Jen

adrienmelaine January 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

I found Clean Eating the same as you- it almost gives you a complex and takes away from what should be natural eating.
I think it’s great that some people can make it work for them, but for others, constantly planning and counting the hours to your next snack is distracting.

PS- Love your blog, and almond butter too!

Graze With Me January 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Clean eating to me just means making something from fresh, whole foods and cutting out as many processed convenience foods as possible. I try to do this regularly and I think I do fairly well. Clif bars are one thing that I find impossible to give up…

I really love the idea of adding shrimp to an omelet – it would be great with avocado. Yum.

Greta January 12, 2010 at 11:04 am

hey there – LOVE the topic today!

I’m actually struggling with the mini-meal thing myself. I too do not feel satisfied when I’m eating small portions – especially at night.

and… the last time I tried to do mini-meals, I GAINED weight! 3 squares works for me for now, and I’m really hesitant about going back to mini-meals (at the advice of my personal trainer).

clean eating as a concept really makes sense to me. unprocessed, whole foods and ingredients are delicious and great for you. I don’t really think you need to eat them in small quantities, though.

p.s. I too am in LOVE with the omelet photo! yum!

homecookedem January 12, 2010 at 11:10 am

Everything looks great HEAB! :) Just curious, do you count calories? If so, do you write it down, log it online, or just do a mental check? I’m trying to lose weight and I’m logging it online. But once I get to maintenance I want to move to just doing quick mental checks.

Have a great day!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Homecookedem, I don’t count calories everyday, but I always have an idea of my intake throughout the day. Can’t help myself as I know the calorie count of everything. When I do track, I use the Livestrong Daily Plate online tracker.

Denise January 12, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ve been eating clean and loving it. You can definitely make it more interesting then adding a scoop of protein powder to everything. I’m so full I can barely finish my snacks in between my main 3 meals. Maybe you weren’t eating enough…??

Tyler January 12, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love the Clean Eating Magazine, and I got Tosca Reno’s cookbook for Christmas. I love the recipes, but I don’t like eating 6 small meals a day…I would much rather have 3 larger ones :)

rachael January 12, 2010 at 11:24 am

I’ve only glanced at Clean Eating magazine while waiting in line at the grocery store . . . that said when I think of the term clean eating I think of eating unprocessed foods and avoiding white flour and added sugar.

Does Clean Eating suggest that the 5 smaller meals to all be similar in size or are some smaller than others?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Rachael, Clean Eating Magazine recommends 3 meals as well as a morning and mid-afternoon snack. I could never follow the menu plan – not enough food for me, but the magazine has some wonderful recipes!

gina (fitnessista) January 12, 2010 at 11:31 am

congrats to your friend on her baby! so cute
i am a huge 5 meal a day fan. i’ve strayed from that in the past 6 months and am getting back into it- especially since we’re starting the winter shape up next week
i feel so much better, look better and am less hungry when i eat more protein and a substantial amount of fat
wish you were closed so we could work out together!
xoxo

beth January 12, 2010 at 11:31 am

Heather, I do the 6 meals a day with P,F,C with every meal. the only thing i do not measure out is the veggies. Those i eat in copiuos amounts. This definitely works for me and I need the structure or I do not eat and this is not good. My daily protein intake = 150gr and I am 5’6.5″ tall at around 118lbs +/- 2lbs. I also weight lift and do no cardio at all right now.
I am sure you will notice a difference with more protein per day and of course we need good fats.
Good luck

Ameena January 12, 2010 at 11:35 am

I eat clean nearly every meal. I never used to think that eating smaller meals would work for me but it does!

Your omelette doesn’t look ugly…Looks great to me!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie January 12, 2010 at 11:37 am

I’m with you. I don’t care what anyone says, low fat just doesn’t work. Every meal / snack needs a good balance or I’m left feeling flat. We were following a high protein / low fat diet for a fitness program, and my body couldn’t take it. When I upped the fat a bit, I felt soooo much better, and there were definitely no negative consequences in the program :)

I am impressed that there could be such a wonderful smoothie without a banana, I may have to try!

Quix January 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

I have issues with 5-6 small meals too – I like the feeling of being FULL. Not stuffed, just satiated, but I never completely feel that way unless I have a decent dose of food at once. I usually eat a high protein breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, a snack of nuts and fruit around 5, dinner around 8, and then maaaaaybe a itty snack or sweet treat later (never more than 50ish calories but sometimes I just need a little somethin’ somethin’).

I’m a work in progress with clean eating, my snacks are very clean, but breakfast is always a protein bar since I don’t have time for anything else, and while usually dinner is homecooked out of fresh ingredients, sometimes it’s fat free hot dogs and gardenburger patties because I just got home from the gym, it’s 8, and I’m NOT waiting past 9 to eat dinner.

Jackie January 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

I love Clean Eating too! I tried the smaller mini meals and I hated it. I switched back to 3 larger meals, and 2 afternoon snacks (I eat lunch early, and have a small snack before working out, usually a banana). I found this worked better for me. I am a big believer in doing what is right for you! I used to love Oxygen magazine, but some of their articles lately have rubbed me the wrong way so I will not be renewing my subscription.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 12, 2010 at 11:50 am

I have never read Clean Eating but I’d like to! I go back and forth with my meal “structure.” Usually, during the week, I eat 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks. But on the weekends, I am pretty much a 3 big meals girl.

I think it depends on my schedule the most. If I eat breakfast at 6, I’ll need a snack by 10, which is not yet lunch time. But if I eat breakfast at 8 or 9 (weekends), I’m good to go until lunch, usually a later lunch too.

plamarie January 12, 2010 at 11:50 am

Ah, perfect post for me today. I am starting to read and look into the body for life. I dabbled in Tosca’s eat clean diet. I am still working out the kinks of what does and doesn’t work for me. I am trying to add more protein though. It is a balance and I am trying to figure it out. I too, love the way I look and feel when I eat more protein. Loved seeing your smoothie this morning. Reminds of when I first found your site. I remember FLUFFY, green smoothies in a bowl. Have been hooked ever since! Thanks Heather! ;D

Heather January 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

Never thought about hummus on a omelet….you manage to make it look good though! :)

kandkfood January 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

I’ve found the Clean Eating Recipes to be good but I’m with you on the eating plans. They are also tough to stick to unless you are home allll the time or plan out every single day and carry around all the food. By the way, I think the omelette sounds and looks great, eggs in general always looks a little funky in my pics too.

Also- holy cow! Moving is awful enough, I can’t imagine doing it while going into labor. Congrats to your friend though!!
Katie

prettyladycmu January 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love the ThinkThin bars!!

I find getting protein in is the BIG factor for me – funny how we need all the components (carbs/fat/protein) in our diets to really feel satisfied!

April January 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I eat a HUGE breakfast and the rest of my meals are smaller. I like that because then I don’t feel weighed down.

Carbzilla January 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Congrats to your friends! I also think that omelette looks amazing!

I’m conditioned to the 3 meals + two snacks program and have been eating 99% clean for a year (and I do get the magazine). As you know, I’m not super active so progress is slow. Now that I’m tracking calories, I’m finding my lunch and breakfast smoothies are coming in at about 425 so I have to go lighter at dinner, which is usually fine unless I’m starving!

I agree that the protein and fat is what holds me – I’m a hungry monster on just fruits and veggies. The calories add up pretty fast, but I’m still losing…

Thyroid advocates are saying 3 meals, no snacks may work better, but just the thought makes me sad. I have to admit I really love my snacks, though these days I’m trying to make them protein: hard-boiled eggs, etc.

Sounds like you’re doing great HEABs!

RunToTheFinish January 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm

i really like everyone’s comments on these kinds of posts! I am a constant nibbler and maybe it’s because I don’t make a meal with enough fat and protein to keep me full, so I just keep nibbling a little here and there all day. This is a good goal for me to work on in my next monthly challenge!

Bonnie @ Salad Craze January 12, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Hey Heather – I thought you’d get a kick out of your mention on my blog. Almond butter saved my life (well, it saved my lunch!)

janetha b January 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

i did burpees on sunday in your honor! they sure are killer. you know i like to eat BFL style so these smaller, protein packed meals are a joy for me to see. gives me ideas ;) i love tosca! oxygen magazine (her hubby’s mag) is my favorite.

livingfreeforever January 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I usually eat 5-6 times a day and that feels normal to me. I can NOT go all day with just three meals. I can’t eat a big meal all at one time and then I’m starving before time to eat again if I try to just do 3 meals.

I love the Think Thin bars but haven’t had one in ages :( And no Tosca wanna be here–I HATE weight lifting :) Would much rather do yoga and some form of cardio. I tried the weight thing and it just was not my cup of tea!

Congrats to your friend!!!! I’m sure you were a huge blessing to her :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Yay and thanks for the shouts outs HEabie. I guess the pimped out smoothie held you long enough…3 hrs??

I am impressed that you used that much XG and GG and it worked. I measured mine about a thousand years ago when you asked me about the amounts, but never ever have measured since. One day I will. I just sprinkle and if it’s not enough, I sprinkle more.

Your eats looked very nommy. :-)

Clean eating is great, but the mini meals thing leaves me unsatisfied too. My MO is nursing a smoothie or two all AM. Normal lunch. PM snack, Normal dinner, later poss. dessert if I’m having a choc. craving or if I’m still hungry (shouldn’t be though, after a good dinner). I do get clean eating mag and read it but never have made anything- prob just the food porn factor :-)

charlotte January 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Interesting! I too have decided to return to 6 smalls vs. 3 large meals a day with this new workout, hoping it will help. But like you my mini meals leave me feeling deprived. Will have to try adding more fat and see if that does the trick!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I like to graze a bit at least on weekdays because eating at work keeps me more entertained. :) But yeah when left to my own devices on the weekend, I guess it tends to end up being just 3 bigger meals per day.

So what’s up with the smoothie in an ashtray? What happened to smoothies in a bowl?? Your pic looks like an ashtray to me, haha. ;) But yeah I hear ya, menu plans don’t do much for me unless I make it myself!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Diana, Ha ha! It’s an Asian inspired bowl. The dips/cigarette holders are for chopsticks.

vickith January 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I followed Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Diet book and cookbook to lose 20 lbs. It was the first thing that worked for me. Basically it highlighted how much sugar I was unknowingly consuming. It also got me eating more vegetables. But this being said, I also became uber-obsessed with food and my next meal. I think I kind of crossed the line at one point with the food planning obsession. I then started to follow the Precision Nutrition program – but this caused me to become consumed with getting my carbs as low as possible. Not good when I’m a semi-pro cyclo-cross racer. I did get super lean though! I’ve slowly got my head around eating carbs again. I appreciate the Clean Eating magazine for its recipes and food knowledge but I do find the meal plans a bit insane. I think the key is to figure out what works for you as an individual. For me, following the clean eating principles taught me about how my body handles carbs, protein, fat, and sugar. I lost the weight I wanted and now I’ve learned how to maintain my body weight and fuel myself for sport.

By the way, love your site. I am a peanut butter addict. To the point where I only buy it as a treat – because I can be found eating it from the jar!

I’m currently in Belgium racing my bike and I’m looking forward to getting back to my kitchen where I can try out some of your recipes. I also need to get my hands on this kaboucha (sp?) squash…

vicki

Laura January 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Yay! Thank you so much for including the number of ice cubes you use- I’ve been so put off making smoothies/smoothies in a bowl and your protein ice cream as I have had no idea how many cubes to put in… how many would you say you put in your protein ice creams? Or am I being supremely silly and you’ve included that info somewhere else? Think Thin bars do look impressive but, like a lot of things, nowhere to be seen this side of the Atlantic ;(
I do agree that protein and fat in a meal definitely helps fill you up- but also powers my body and my mind better, I feel on more of an even keel. However, wholegrains/complex carbs are important too- in moderation- your brain only uses glucose in the end, and those grains have so many important micronutrients that you can’t get from your fats, proteins… the more I go on, the more I learn how important different things can be- oat’s soluble fibre for your heart/cholesterol, insoluble fibre in other carbs for bowel cancer- just google diverticulitis?!! And too much protein can really harm you kidneys and bones, but only in excess (yes Medicine is turning me into a geek!)
Like you’ve shown, carbs can be fun and interesting too, all those supergrains you use.. Uh oh, I’ve gone on for far too long sorry for monopolising!! Hope you and CD are feeling much much better now ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for the well wishes Laura! Both CD and I are doing much better. I have never counted out my ice cubes for the protein ice-cream, but I promise I will next time I make it and update the recipe page.

Angela January 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I usually just have 3 meals and then snacks in between when I’m hungry. I’m not a fan of meal planning I just eat what sound good that day haha. I think I’ve been lacking in the protein department lately, I really need to start keeping track!

hypki January 12, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I wouldn’t say I’m a Tosca wanna be…but I do love her cookbooks and am a huge fan of Oxygen magazine. I’m also a big fan of the the 3 medium meals with 2smaller snacks a day approach. It works best for me…I hate the feeling of being overly full, yuck.
Oxygen magazine has the best workout routines and ideas on how to vary your diet, which I think is the most important thing. You have to find what works for you and makes you feel and function your very best.
Personally I think everyone is at a different place in their fitness life and you have to take that into consideration when embarking on any workout or eating plan. Adjust it to how you know it will work for you, and keep changing things up, keep your body guessing when working out, and most of all variety helps you enjoy things that much more.
I think you know all this, and because of that I think you will do well with your new approach. More protein and cleaner eating + strength training in general helped me drop excess weight I didn’t even really know I had. I went from about 125lbs. which I had been forever to 117lb. and I feel fabulous!

Enjoy the journey and make it about everything you love!

Lisa January 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Heather, I loved what you said about BFL. I couldn’t possibly ever follow their meal plans (the foods/nutrient breakdown, OR the amount of calories!) I’d starve!

I love your idea of upping protein while still eating frequently. I eat AT LEAST 5 or 6 times a day, and they ren’t really that small of meals. (Of course, I’m an active 23 year old, so I’m sure that doesn’t hurt…. :) Love, love, love the dark chocolate! I just bought a bar of 90% dark by Lindt (didn’t know they made it!) and it only has 3 grams of sugar per servings. Can’t wait to open it and try some!

Good luck! I’ll keep reading, as I always do.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Lisa, That Lindt 90% is one of my favorites. I think you will LOVE!

Jen January 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

HEAB~

I once was a lover of grains (mainly quinoa…yes, I know it’s a seed, and barley), beans (all!), and legumes (all, but mostly black-eyed peas and lentils)…until I decided to test the Paleo lifestyle for myself. I began CrossFit and started hearing about the successes other CrossFitters were experiencing and thought, “One month won’t hurt”.

After the first two weeks, I started to feel and see a difference- no more bloating, a lot more energy and strength, and a clearer, more vibrant complexion. I had also begun to incorporate quite a bit more fat (mainly in the form of coconut oil, almond butter, EVOO, flax, and buffalo) into my previously “lean” diet.

My previous way of eating was pretty “clean” (without processed foods, limited sugar intake, and mostly organic veggies and fresh seafood) so, this wasn’t too big of a shock to my system (some people may experience a sort of “detox” throughout the first week or so). So, with that being said…I think it would be worth it to at least try it for a month (two weeks!?) and see how you feel. Just some food for thought… :)

If you do, I have some great recipes on my blog: http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/

And, here’s a link to THE Paleo site:

Love your blog and look forward to following you adventure for years to come!
Jen

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Jen. I’ve tried Primal Eating before without much success. I LOVE oats. :)

However, will be sure to check out your links later tonight as I’m so interested in reading about this kind of thing.

N.D. January 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I basically eat 6 small meals a day – I tried the clean eating thing (eat clean diet) but got bored thinking of what to eat. I eat pretty clean. That’s a lot of protein. I have to up mine. That omelet looks delicious!

alli January 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

i loved this post- it always helps me to see what others eat :)
everything looks delicious (including mizfit’s arms) i’m going to be trying that smoothie for breakfast tomorrow as i finally bought x&g gum!
i ordered toscas eat clean book a few months ago. i love it, but i agree that following a meal plan everyday is hell!
i look forward to hearing your protein month recap. i think i need to up mine. i’ve been eating more carbs lately and i just feel squishy :)
keep writing, i love reading!

erintakescontrol January 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I <3 smaller meals, and I shoot for 160g of protein daily. Protein and I get along very well, so this works for me, even though it seems like alot!

Anna January 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I know what you mean about seeing the way other people eat and wanting to emulate them. I eat five meals a day (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack), which is about every three hours — I can’t imagine going longer than that! But it’s just down to one’s own body. Like, I know a lot of people stick religiously to the idea of not eating after dinner or after a certain time, but I would go crazy if I didn’t! If I’m hungry before I get into bed, I know I have to eat something (even if it’s just a few crackers), or I’ll sleep really poorly.

Chrysta January 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Awesome day of eats girl! I love that big amazing looking smoothie you got going on. Looks super tasty! I usually eat in smaller increments. Its just what works for me, I found I cant eat large amounts of food at a time so I just break it up and eat like every 2 hours or so. I really like Tosca Reno a lot! I think she has a lot of great ideas and tips on clean eating. Also I think she presents a lot of ways to incorporate clean eating into any schedule, which is great. I saw some squash and nut butter action going on today too. Awesome!!!! Its my favorite thing to eat right now=) Hope you have a fantastic day!

Mama Pea January 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I was a total BFL follower, Tosca wannabe, 130 g. of protein a day girl for a really long time. I know I don’t get anywhere near that much now, but my physique really hasn’t changed. The only time I noticed less muscle tone was when I was juicing constant, doing high raw. I don’t know that a deliberate attempt to get X # of grams of protein is necessary for me, but if I can throw a scoop of protein powder in breakfast or eat some quinoa or tofu with dinner, I definitely feel and look a lot stronger!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 12, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hi Heather! I’m writing to tell you that I do the clean eating. (My blog’s devoted to it) and have for about 8 months. My goal is not to lose weight (although that’s a bonus) but to be healthy. I eat the 6 meals a day, pairing with a protein and a carb. My fats are healthy ones from nuts and/or oils (cocnut, olive, etc.) I’ve never had a problem with being hungry when following this way of eating. It took my body a while to become accustomed to the 6 meals a day, and now I get hungry right around every 3 hours. Looking at your meals, to me, it doesn’t look like you are eating enough per meal. I don’t count calories (although I need to start) but I do know that if I’m hungry then I didn’t eat enough. This seems to work for me, but I’m sure it doesn’t work for everyone :) You can check out the blog and see what I’m eating if you want!

Bekah January 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Like I said before.. we eat verryy similar.:) On small meal days, AND large meal days! Chocolate+ faux hot cocoa, yes please. Alwayss. Almost on a daily basis.

I didn’t know you did Body For Life?? I’ll have to go search for older posts..

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Bekah, I was doing it right when I started blogging and it ended soon after. Loved the workout, but the eating plan didn’t work out so well. ;)

Gracie January 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I personally try to keep the protein on the up and up in my diet as well. Like most people, I’ve tried the low carb/high protein diet as well high carb/low protein diet (mostly vegetarian). I’ve found that I’m most satisfied – both physically and emotionally – when I’m somewhere in the middle. Surprise, surprise :) I definitely a decent amount of protein and fat in *every* meal so stay full for a few hours. And as much as this seems to be frowned upon, I also tend to feel better (more energized and less puffy) when I decrease carbs to an extent. I’d never be able to go back to my Atkins days, but I think that eating lowER carbs is not such a bad thing. In fact, some people (my own sister, actually!) has lived a pretty low carb lifestyle for almost a year now, and she sees no going back. She loves it!

With that being said, I like how your focusing on a high protein diet rather than a low carb diet. Does that make sense? haha. I would assume that focusing on protein would naturally cause your carb intake to decrease, but your not purposefully doing so. And I like that :)

Have you noticed any changes in your energy levels with the higher protein eats?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Gracie, Yes, MORE energy. Lots of carbs make me lethargic.

brittac January 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I have never tried “clean eating” although like you – I do have the magazine! I do enjoy some raw foods in my life though.

Bonnie January 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I would go h-a-y-w-i-r-e if I ate 5 or 6 times a day! Even 3 is bordering on too many times. When I start to eat more often, I keep wanting to eat even more often and never feel finished. I thrive on long times between meals. Just this week I read that that is one part of the “paleo” diets going around. Sort of makes sense to me because I also went haywire when I was vegan.

Mae January 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I’ve always found with IBS and GERD… (err sorry for the acronyms!) it’s much better to have smaller meals and snacks, rather than huge meals.
When my belly is acting up I have to go back to “little bites” through the day which really stinks because I never feel truely hungry.
In a perfect world I would have a big breakfast, go to class and workout then have a medium sized lunch, snack around 5:00 and dinner around 7:30. Sigh… I wish my only chance for lunch wasn’t at 10:30 in the morning!

Mae January 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Ohh and congrats to your friend!! That is so exciting :-D DDD

eatmovelove January 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Well the overflowing chocolate looks good. Personally, I think that many of us tend to over-think things way too much – bottom line is to do what works for you but to enjoy yourself. If you are doing something because you “should” or because someone else is doing it or someone told you told – then that’s not right. Food isn’t meant to be such the worry-pit it has become – seriously! This is what has left such an unhealthy obsession. When one is travelling or experiencing new things or in love or jumping out of an airplane(! hah!) – it matters not what you ate before or will eat – really does it?! As a society we are too focused on analyzing and control – we have to learn to just be. IT is what it is sometimes.
Everything changes and goes in cycles as well. I can guarantee that the way you eat now wasn’t how it was a few years ago and it won’t be the same a few years from now. Change is fleeting.

I just did a post on it – the only thing permanent in life is impermeance. Anyhow, that’s all ;) – glad your feeling better :) . And I’ll do your housework for you if you’ll let me live in beautiful Nashville with ya ;) …half-joking…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm

there is so much goodness in this post but I will go the non-deep comment and say, I tried the Think Thin in white choc outside with a chocolatey inner/center and it was sooo blech! I had to throw it out! I am intrigued that you liked this flavor. I’m gonna have to try it, just to see :)

Congrats to your friend! And your protein intake…wow!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 12, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I love the idea behind clean eating, but I too think they miss the mark on some things. I think the magazine can make things sound so boring! I am a small meal kinda gal. I eat small meals through out the day. Otherwise I get overstuffed at one sitting and then not enough at another. I am always trying to find ways to add more protein into my diet, but I don’t eat meat, dairy or soy. Things are kind of limited. Do you know of any protein powders that are good that don’t contain those?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Sarena, I’ve tried a lot of different non-dairy/non-soy protein powders. Hemp taste like dirt, still on the fence about pea, but I love my sprouted brown rice protein powder from http://www.jayrobb.com.

Mandy January 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm

If the meals are too small and i’m still hungry then i can’t concentrate. I need to at least be satiated.

Em January 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I do the clean eating thing mostly but still have oats and plenty of nuts. Its all about going back to basics and eating well.
I’ve never felt better – stacks of green vegies, raw almonds, oats, egg whites, protein powder, couldn’t ask for more!

Anna January 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Interesting thoughts. I like the idea of “clean eating.” I like that it’s not a term that quantifies anything (as opposed to low-fat, high-carb, etc). And it’s not an all-or-nothing kind of approach.

I can relate to your feeling that small meals not being very satisfying- it does the same for me too. I like 3 regular meals with light snacks in between. I like being full!

Carolyn January 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Averie the White Chocolate Think Thins are my least favorite.. And i love Think Thins.. And i love white chocolate.. But the Think Thin White Chocolate is muy yuck…Try the PB and i also like the Brownie Crunch… The CRUNCHY PB that Heabs covets is the best in my book…

Carolyn January 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I’m with Diana.. That’s an ashtray…

But a darn fine looking smoothie in it!! … Can it please get above 15 degrees here in Michigan so i feel like i can eat one without standing next to the stove burner turned on high to avoid being cold for two hours after..????? Hey… Maybe i just need to wear a cool scarf… ;-)

The Deranged Housewife January 12, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I think Clean Eating is an amazing program–but not for everyone. If you’re eating the typical American diet, it teaches you how to clean it up in simple and concrete ways. When you strip away the marketing hoopla, it’s just whole foods, a little high on the protein than some may be used to, eaten in smallish portions throughout the day. I don’t want to give it short shrift, because it’s been a huge stepping-stone for me on my way to cleaning up my diet and my life.

That being said, I think a lot of the message gets lost in the marketing. Although Tosca Reno repeatedly advises not to count calories, there are recommended calorie counts all over the mag. And just like any other diet, there’s a lot of dogma that I find off-putting. If it’s a lifestyle, why do you have cheats? Why aren’t they just written in as part of the program and not differentiated? Personally, I think you need to find what works for you from whatever you do. I like the small meals because I like to eat and feeling too full is problematic for me. Others who might prefer to roll away from the table would probably do better with larger meals.

Finally, I just read an interesting thread on Precision Nutrition the other day (I wish I could remember where it was but I don’t). The upshot is that you don’t get ripped like a fitness model by lifting, HIIT and 5-6 meals/day with a 40/30/30 ratio, no matter how strict or intense you are. Most of it is genetically determined, and if you want more definition in your arms, you might have to manipulate your workouts and food intake and basically eat very little for decent stretches of time. For me, this would be a recipe for disaster, and I’d guess that many fitness competitors set themselves up for eating disorders when getting ready for competitions. Also, eating to get ripped just sounds sucky. I know a handful of people who’ve competed, and their mealtimes sound so grim. Lettuce, plain chicken breasts, and fish oil does not a satisfying meal make. As someone who’s as passionate about her food as you are, I’d hate to see you give up your beloved kabocha just to get your delts to separate from your triceps.

Plus on a purely selfish level, reading about those meals on your blog would be BOOOOOOOOORING!

Listen to your body. You’ve made such great progress, both physically and (more importantly) mentally. Not a lot of people can say that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 7:41 pm

The Deranged Housewife, I’m never giving up kabocha…unless my eyeballs turn orange or something crazy like that. :)

Katie January 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm

You are a protein queen!

I love it. I feel better and stronger when I eat more protein.

Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills January 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm

“Clean eating” reminds me of my absolute favorite “real deal” fitness inspiration out there…

http://www.bunklers.com and

She has consistently not eaten any junk and lifted heavy for many years. I can only hope to look that hot at 42!

Jenna January 12, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Squash with pb looks great!!
Yummy omlet as well :)

Pure2Raw Twins January 12, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Congrats to your friend on having a girl!!! How exciting!!!

I agree you need fat in your diet, we have fat at every meal. We have been playing around with our fat intake, we have not forgotten about the hormonal post. We plan to do it this week : )

daintyvegan January 12, 2010 at 7:31 pm

So.. clean eating is basically eating small meals? Or small meals high in protein? I liked how you tracked what you ate during the whole day, it’s interesting to see what others eat. And I have to agree, that poor omelet isn’t very attractive.. hopefully it tasted better than it looked. :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm

daintyvegan, According the magazine, clean eating is about eating 5 to 6 small meals a day consisting of complex carbs and protein at every meal. Some fat is encouraged, but not a lot. :(

strawberrysuitcase January 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm

lennon is the cutest name for a baby.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Strawberry, I know, I love it. The parents are huge John Lennon fans.

Lauren January 12, 2010 at 8:07 pm

The idea of eating mini meals scares me. I think my results would be much like your past experience. I would think about food too much and find myself hungry ALL the time! :(

I really enjoy eating 3 big meals a day so I will just stick with that. It’s truly a matter of what works best for you and your body right. To each his own! ;)

Runeatrepeat January 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I am trying to increase my protein this month too. I think lack of protein is what may be causing my frantic trail mix binges. I love when you post your whole day :)

psychoj1 January 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

That smoothie looks delicIous! I also love your wraps with almond butter and chicken. YUM! I never would have thought of that.

I’m glad you have found what works best for you!
<3 jess
xoxo

g January 12, 2010 at 9:11 pm

As usual, your squash puree looks divine.

I also find that healthy fats help me to feel sated!

Chelsea Ward January 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Beautiful array of eats for the day! I agree with you, diets feel like personal prison sentences to me. Eating intuitively has always worked in my weight-loss favor than any over-controlled, regimented diet or nutrition plan has.

I love the idea of hummus on an omelet. I must try that out ASAP. Thanks for the idea!

Kristy January 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Zone diet. I guess it’s not cool anymore. :) It’s got a 40-30-30 carb-protein-fat ratio, and it seems really rational to me. I don’t eat any meat, so I do the ‘Soy Zone’ with protein powders, tempeh (love tempeh), tofu, eggs, etc. I feel like I have so much energy at the gym now. Very satisfied with more protein/fat, but came from a pretty much all veggie and fruit vegan diet for a couple years, so I never feel like I eat enough fiber now. ( I was eating ~75g a day vegan, so now 40 seems like not enough – even though it’s way more than recommended.) I know you get used to more fiber, but do you get used to less?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Kristy, I feel the same way on days I don’t get much fiber. I usually get anywhere between 50 to 80 grams a day.

Katie January 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I’ve always thought that the Clean Eating meal suggestions are far too short on fat and calories. But, I thought it was just me, because I eat a lot. :)

Whole Body Love January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Yes! I have both her cookbooks and I love them!

marlameridith January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm

At first I thought I loved Clean Eating magazine but I agree that they don’t use enough healthy fats in their meal plans and recipes. When I eat too little fat I am crazy hungry, unsatisfied, and I cannot keep food off the brain. I have no time for that. I want to enjoy all kinds of foods in moderation. I gain my largest foodie inspirations from fellow bloggers (like u!) and some of the more gourmet magazines like “Saveur” and “Bon Appetit.”

Trail January 12, 2010 at 11:24 pm

It’s all about finding what works for you! Protein usually makes me feel better quickly when I’m starving; sounds like fats do the same for you.

I really want to get artichokes and mushrooms so I can stick spinach, artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and some hummus into a pita. I’m drooling just thinking about it! Looks like you had a delish day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 13, 2010 at 6:28 am

Trail, I love the frozen artichokes from Trader Joe’s. I just throw them in a skillet straight from the bag, and they cook really fast. That way you can put your own seasonings on them, and they’re not super salty like canned artichoke hearts.

burpexcuzme January 13, 2010 at 12:20 am

I’m not really sure about that term “clean eating”. What do you mean by “clean”? Does it mean we always have to eat “clean”? Is protein powder and xantham gum real, “clean” foods? It kind of sets up this holy, virtuous diet, but…kind of rigid and forbearing in a sense. Well, I suppose the word “diet” itself holds a really negative connotation. It’s altogether kind of ambiguous, and sometimes I feel the main goal is more about calories in this diet, despite what Tosca rona says. Otherwise, why the restriction in fats, as you said?

I’m also wary about the idea of eating 5-6 meals a day…it kind of leaves me hanging from a lot of social events. Most social events is concentrated on a big meal, and I can’t just sit there and not eat, or munch on my own complex carbs and protein meal! I guess the clean eating diet is a good way to jump start a healthy diet for the average overweight American, but it should hardly be a lifestyle.

Real, healthy eating isn’t about only eating “healthy” foods. It’s about eating ENOUGH healthy foods and rejecting ENOUGH junk food to be able to be the most productive in your life. And that includes social eating, which MIGHT include junk like pizza and beer, occasionally.

Well, that’s my two cents. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 13, 2010 at 6:33 am

Burp, Most clean eating “plans” I’ve read promote 5 to 6 smaller meals a day, with aprotein and a complex carbs at every meal. Fat is usually recommended with at least 2 meals. Yes, it’s very structured, and they suggest packing all your food for the day in a cooler. It can be very rigid for some, but I know it has helped a lot of people as well. Definitely not for everyone, but to each his own.

coulditbeseitan January 13, 2010 at 1:15 am

Well that smoothie is definitely happening for me tomorrow morning. I’ve been training for a half marathon for the last few weeks and I definitely notice when I haven’t eaten enough protein. The next day I’m always FAMISHED no matter how many carbohydrates I’ve eaten. Protein is key! (But the unholy amount of almond butter/peanut butter I eat says maybe fat is too…)

Jan January 13, 2010 at 4:42 am

I am a 50 something woman who recently found out my thyroid was low and that I was low in Vitamin D and B12. My doctor has me on vitamins that you can only get through a health care provider and for the first time in my life I can take vitamins that don’t upset my stomach!!! Anyway, I need to lose 25 pounds and he recommended the book and program, “The Fat Flush” plan. My point in all of this is that the author, a highly acclaimed nutritionist, recommends 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil a day. I put flax seed oil and flax seeds in my smoothie in the morning and it easily carries me until lunch. Of course, I also use Jay Robb’s protein powder in my smoothie!

So I agree with you, Heather, you need those fats to keep you full! So far I am doing great on the program although right now I am in the detox stage so that’s when you see the most pounds melting.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 13, 2010 at 6:34 am

Jan, Congrats on your weight loss. Can’t go wrong with flax AND Jay in my opinion. :) Keep up the good work, and I’m glad you found some vitamins that don’t upset your belly!

Rachel January 13, 2010 at 6:14 am

Oooh that dark chocolate looks so good.

fitandfortysomething January 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

I have done Body for Life on and off for years. I was addicted to the 12 weeks challenge and was obsessed with Body for Life Tracker and the blogs. Honestly I think the program is good but may cause some eating disorders (one day to cheat). When I was doing the program all I wanted was carbs and that is all I ate on the cheat day. I am more like you now. I need to find what works for me and not follow a meal plan. I believe some people do well on high protein and others do not. About Tosca Reno you know her husband owns Oxygen Magazine and helped promote her book because of it. I sound a bit negative and I should not. I still use a lot of the methods that I learned in BFL still today so definitely it was not all bad at all. Plus, BFL taught me how to weight train-very good.

Ashlei January 13, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’m trying to up my protein intake as well. I can’t live off those “low fat” lifestyles though – I’m always hungry and thinking about my next meal as well. I don’t think I could do the Clean Eating exactly either.

Can’t wait to see more of your “daily eats” posts. :)

biz319 January 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’ve found that if my meals are between 450 and 500 (or plus at dinner) there is no room for snacking – I am simply not hungry, and since I have to take insulin every time I eat something, I am happy with three shots a day vs. six!

I do like some ideas from Clean Eating Mag though, just not all of them.

Miz January 14, 2010 at 3:52 am

Is this the place where I list the things I covet about the heather who eateth the almond butter?

Thanks for the love and know Id LOVE to lend a hand if theres any way I can (?) for me it is a mix of the zone south beach a smidgetag of atkins notions and a thick slathering of intuitive eating.
and yea.
It took me thirtysomeyears to figure this all out :)

xo xo,

Carla

Lara (Thinspired) January 16, 2010 at 1:10 am

I think you know this already but I can’t do the mini meals either. Love the idea, but it just does not work for me. Are you going to stick with them?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 6:26 am

Lara, No, probably not. Listening to my body, and it doesn’t like it. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }