Coffee Blues

by HEAB on January 15, 2010

Sometimes coffee tastes like the most amazing thing in the world, and it’s the reason I get out of bed. Other times, like this morning for instance, it makes me feel icky. Weird. Does this ever happen to you?

So, y’all know I’ve been trying to do the higher protein thing, but I think maybe I OD’d on chicken breasts. After yesterday’s breakfast, all I wanted was carbs and fats.

Look Katie, I celebrated Vegan Thursday with my lunch! Into my belly went a big bowl of roasted kale, hummus, crumbled tempeh (OK, so some protein snuck in there), and my last Five Star Foodie artichoke burger…sniff sniff. :(

My unpictured dinner was tons of steamed veggies covered in my peanut sauce made with tahini, and then after finishing it, I was still hungry and returned to an old standard…

This was probably my 5th bowl of oat bran in over 2 months. Nothing but oat bran, water, and cocoa powder topped with Artisana’s raw coconut butter. No sweetener added, and it was perfect. However, immediately after eating it, I could not keep my eyes open. Carbs = sleep.

Still wasn’t feeling the protein thing this morning and ate an avocado coconut butter quesadilla. Such a good combo!

Time to workout. On today’s agenda is hyperbolic resistance training. Let’s see, looks like it will involve some rounds of mountain climbers and such. Hmm, no burpees…that makes me kind of happy. ;)

Around the blogosphere…

1) Please click here to read all about Marathon Val’s Dress Down for Haiti. She’s starting a mini-movement for individuals to have a “Dress Down for Haiti” day at their workplace…something that requires virtually no work, but can raise a great deal of money.

2) Tiffany asked me to contribute to her article on stress eating, and you can click here to read it.

Before I go, I wanted to share this photo sent to me by HEAB reader Hope…

Picture 1.png

Her daughter requested oat bran with peanut butter and dark chocolate chips on her birthday…a girl after my own heart. Love it Hope!!! :)

Anna January 15, 2010 at 9:12 am

I definitely have those moments with coffee. I’m drinking tea right now because it didn’t feel like a coffee kind of day! I also have those moments with eggs…random, I know.

Have a great day! That last pic made my heart smile!

Ameena January 15, 2010 at 9:13 am

What a beautiful little girl!

I don’t drink coffee much, maybe a cup or two of decaf a week. Makes me too jittery!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 15, 2010 at 9:14 am

I love that coconut butter in a quesadilla idea! If I eat just carbs, I go into a major food coma, too.

Jordan January 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

Avocado and coconut butter is a delicious combo and so satisfying. That picture of you is hilarious! I’ve been addicted to homemade peanut sauce lately…it’s making an appearance on some rice noodles with veggies for lunch. Have a great workout and weekend :)

kandkfood January 15, 2010 at 9:18 am

Cool mug! I totally agree about the coffee thing, I don’t know why it sometimes gives me a nice caffeine buzz and other times just makes my stomach feel sick. Mysteries of the universe! -Katie

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 15, 2010 at 9:22 am

you said a mouthful . . .about the coffee that is, somedays it makes me feel icky too

CaSaundra January 15, 2010 at 9:23 am

I actually never like coffee anytime, except for when it’s in a blended drink and preferably mocha flavored! And I love protein just because it has amazing staying power–but ooh how I love my carbs as well. Hope all is well down there :-)

elleneatsbeats January 15, 2010 at 9:25 am

I never thought to do coconut butter and avocado. Now I’m going to have to try it!

Mae January 15, 2010 at 9:29 am

Wow I had a coffee this morning and I feel awful too!! I’m not even jittery- just dizzy and unfocused.
I’m priting out the dressdown for Haiti, that you for this link. Hopefully my principal will consider it! Haha BTW I love the Fluff mug!!! :-D

Jenny R. January 15, 2010 at 9:29 am

Heather, did you get highlights? Your hair looks different but gorgeous! Anyways…ya when you eat a ton of protein it often causes cravings for the other macronutrients but that’s cool. Just means your body is rebalancing. I find that if I don’t get protein in each meal somehow I feel strange. But I get like that too sometimes where I just want pure veggies and fats and don’t even want to look at a piece of salmon or chicken ;P

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 9:34 am

Jenny, Yes, I did. I trade out massage for highlights and hair cuts with my hair stylist. She re-blonded me on Tuesday. Thanks for noticing. :)

Evan Thomas January 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

Lol I love your Fluff mug
I made a batch of protein ice cream with the sample Jay Robb sent me and do you eat all of that at once? I know it’s mostly water but that much such a voluminous bowl I could hardly eat half without blowing up my stomach and I’m wondering if I missed something or if there’s a way to densify it a bit.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

Evan, Yes, I eat it all. My stomach = bottomless pit.

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

so awesome that cute little girl asked for that on her birthday! what an amazing movement you’re helping to create in this country (cheesy, yes, but true!)

i love that quesadilla idea :)

Erica January 15, 2010 at 9:46 am

awwwwww Hope’s daughter is such a cutie! What a great birthday request.

Lots of delicious eats. I am going to WFs to look for more of those 5 star arti burgers. Josh and I REALLY enjoyed them! Avocado+coconut butter? I have to give this a try.

Hope your workout goes well and that you have a fab weekend

Monique January 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

funny. my coffee isnt cutting it today either!

my that bowl of roasted kale looks sooo good!

Tracy & Dustin January 15, 2010 at 9:59 am

A FLUFF cup?! No way! I used to live off fluff sandwiches when I was little (so healthy, I know). I’m from Mass and when I moved down south I realized they didn’t have real fluff, and this year for Christmas, my parents surprised us with some at Christmas. It made me nostalgic.

And I know what you mean about the coffee thing. I’m actually currently experiencing the icky feeling. Booo. PS I absolutely love your hair. It seriously looks gorgeous in every picture, no matter how you style it!

dawn January 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

ha ha yes coffee makes me icky if I get it from Dunkin Donuts! LOL

eaternotarunner January 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

I LOVE your fluff mug! Sorry about the icky coffee feeling though…

allison January 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

Ok I just have to tell you this because I think it every time I read your blog… you have the most gorgeous hair! I think it looks great no matter what (even w/ morning coffee). I know it’s totally random and I think this might be the first time I’ve ever commented. Leave it to your hair to bring me out of hiding….awkward. Have a great Friday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 11:00 am

Ha ha, thanks for delurking Allison, and for the sweet comment. :)

Mama Pea January 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

You take that back about my coffee this instant! Next thing you know you are going to be saying that Jay Robb isn’t the tastiest treat in my kitchen anymore!

I love the picture of the oatbran birthday cake. My girls are brainwashed, but they still would want a mound of frosting on top.

Have a good weekend, hon!

Sara January 15, 2010 at 10:54 am

AH! I am SO glad you posted this, I thought it was just me. I used to drink DD coffee, but can’t anymore, I feel nausea, then I made it at home, now it makes me sick. I can only drink Starbucks. My wallet is not happy, but my belly is. Eggs do this to me too, I’ll cook them, take one bite, and get sick. Odd…

I just used cocoa butter to make fudge the other day, you should check it out on my site, it makes anything taste more exotic!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) January 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

Awwww! Hope is a Heaber-In-Training and she’s too adorable for words.

yeah, I pretty much love my coffee but there are times where I want something but the java is a little harsh…so I go more refined…tea :-)

Hey good to see you going with your body’s cravings.

Katie January 15, 2010 at 11:05 am

That is too funny about the coffee; that happens to me all the time, and I thought I was just crazy. Yesterday, I woke up craving it and could only get down half a glass. Weird, huh?

I tried oat bran for the first time last week too – so good. I ate it with maple syrup and cocoa powder. And I had a very similar bowl of veggies with peanut sauce for vegan thursday too!

Melanie January 15, 2010 at 11:06 am

The coffee thing happens to me too. And some days, I want more than one cup, so I’ll have it, but on average, I have just one cup a day.

It’s really good to see how you allow your body to dictate what you decide to eat (within reason, of course). That’s a big issue for me.

That salad looks so freaking tasty.

Melanie January 15, 2010 at 11:06 am

eh….and by salad, I meant roasted kale;)…

Chocolate-Covered Katie January 15, 2010 at 11:31 am

Oh I want to swim in that oat bran. I want to fall in it and have to eat my way out. Wouldn’t take too long. No it wouldn’t!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

I am currently addicted to Vanilla Rooibos tea. I’ve been drinking that instead of coffee because coffee makes my belly hurt.

Gracie January 15, 2010 at 11:42 am

oooh that avocado coconut butter wrap looks/sounds YUM! Actually, I’ll easily inhale anything with avocado in it, haha :)

I really want to start making peanut sauce like you do. Although I do love veggies *most of the time,* having some peanut butter glory dripped on top might just make me a little more likely to eat them! Heck, maybe I’ll just start putting nut buttuh on everything!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Gracie, *Heck, maybe I’ll just start putting nut buttuh on everything!…*A motto to live by. :)

Veggiesmack January 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

There are some mornings when coffee doesn’t do it for me, either. Not sure what’s up with that.

Your oat bran looks awesome! Yum!

livingfreeforever January 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Aww! Hope is my BFF :) I have known her since Emma was a baby. So neat to see somebody from my neck of the woods on your blog! Thanks for posting it!

Have a GREAT day! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Sadly, no, I dont ever feel blah FROM The coffee. But I feel blah ABOUT certain coffees. I am cheap and refuse to pay top dollar for organic, fair trade this or that beans (and sometimes they dont even taste any better to me!) and so I get meh about my usual variety of TJs ‘joes that I buy. Sorry you werent feeling it.

Thanks for the re-link to those artichoke burgers…I had forgotten about those…yum!

Carbs = sleep for me too. No doubt!

Sara January 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Coffee on an empty stomach makes me feel ickeh. Especially if it’s been sitting a bit and getting all acid-y. Blurk.

I am freaked out by your coconut butter, because my brain sees it and thinks “Crisco,” and then I gag.

plamarie January 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I have been known to get the coffee blues sometimes too. It is almost like I want myself to want that cup because I know I love it otherwise. I usually just take a break from it. I might also get a really good quality for the next brew back in the game :) Yay! for no more burpees. Dessert looks perfect!

Laura January 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I’ve noticed that coffee makes me feel super icky when my- ahem- monthly vistor is in town. It might be worth keeping a mental diary of when the coffee makes you feel bad and see if there is some sort of pattern.

anutritionisteats January 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I thought I was the only one!! I am so wierd with coffee – I either love or hate it. Today I loved :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Sometimes I get that yuck feeling from coffee too. No fun

Bekah January 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I get heartburn a lot.. but I refuse to blame the coffee. In the moment, I LOVE (never hate) the coffee. :) hehe

LOL at the picture of you and the marshmallow fluff mug. haha.

It’s so funny to me that you have decreased your oat bran in the past couple months because when I first starting to read your blog, you were eating oat bran in the morning, and oat bran for dessert! But whatever works for you, whatever you’re craving- I say go with it. I do the same thing.

Laughing at your comment to Evan- I alwayss get comments regarding freezing the protein ice cream, and I’m like whaaa? You eat it all in one sitting! Heelloo. It’s like 150 calories, OF COURSE I’m going to eat it all!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm

OMG that is the most adorable picture of Hope and her bowl of oats :) LOVEyour fluff mug too, now thats a way to enjoy some cafe in the morning! usually I am ALL about teh coffee it gets me out of bed as well. fort eh most part I have never had an icky reaction to it, unless I had a couple drinks the night before ;) then I just want h20 in the morning!

I have never had coconut butter, can you believe that?? would you suggest the artisana brand??

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Naomi, The Artisana brand is the only kind I’ve ever tried. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

erintakescontrol January 15, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I never tire of coffee. Gotta have one cup before I am fully awake and ready for the day…

Cute kid!

MarathonVal January 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for supporting Dress Down!

Are those burgers as good as Sunshine Burgers??? Because SB are soooo fabulously delicious but they only come 3 in a pack and they are so gosh darn expensive…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm

MarathonVal, The Five Start Foodies Artichoke burgers are my FAVORITE veggie burger, but I can only find them online. So they are not any cheaper than Sunshine Burgers. :(

Carolyn January 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Your secrets out with the pic above.. I can totally see you as an 9 year old, making that face at your mom… ;-)

Michal January 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Avocado + coconut butter?! That is such an unusual combo i must try it! Too bad I just got done eating my last avocado. I must get to the store asap.

Erin January 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I never thought about avocado and coconut butter?! julie golean just posted about almond butter and laughing cow cheese. I need to extend my butter horizons.

What up Fluff mug!! That’s straight up New England right there, Heaber. My nana used to have that stuff in her pantry. I swear it was the same container the entire time I was growing up but fluff + peanut butter sandwiches will forever remind me of Nana’s house :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Erin, My dad’s from Maine. We grew up eating them too. :)

Kim January 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Yep, there are mornings around here my coffee “fix” just doesnt cut it! I usually move onto energy drinks….I am all stocked on coconut spray, and spent 2 hrs in Whole Foods with a very patient 7 yr old. Listen to your body…it may not like all the protein….

: ) Kim

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Kim, I’m listening. :)

Gracie January 15, 2010 at 7:11 pm

hey girl! Just wanted to let you know that I made coconut flour pancakes for dinner tonight and LOVED them. I had a few technical difficulties (refer to my blog for some scary pictures, haha) but they turned out fine in the end! I’m definitely going to master the process because I’ll be eating these all the time. So major props for a bangin’ recipe ;) xoxo G

Ashlei January 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I think our brains are on the same wavelength with the coconut butter – I’ve been eating the Artisana coconut butter straight out of the jar :)

Plus I just did a post on coconut oil (a favorite of both of ours) and have been consuming oatmeal and creamy rice hot cereal topped with coconut oil. <3 So good!

Pure2Raw twins January 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Totally understand your coffee blues, that happened to us when we drank it a lot. But now since we drink on slim, doesn’t happen as often ;) Love all the coconut action!!!!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I hate burpees! Enough said, LOL ;) Does the artisana coconut butter taste a lot like coconuts? Because I have some I got at whole foods, I think it’s their brand, and it tastes a little like coconuts but a lot like nothing and then it’s oily on top of all that. I wouldn’t ever put it ON anything, but I could cook with it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 6:28 am

Jessica, Are you sure you bought the Artisana coconut butter? It’s usually solid at room temperature, and I’ve never seen oil sitting on top of mine. Yes, it taste like coconut, and it’s kind of sweet as well. So yummy!

Erin January 15, 2010 at 10:58 pm

As far as the high protein low carb thing- I’ve discovered that the real magic is moderate protein (like 60-70 grams) lower carb and higher (yup!) fat! It makes all the difference! When you eat more fat, you crave less sugar and starchy stuff!
When you cut carbs, your body needs a source of fuel and protein isn’t fuel- it’s more of a building block. Fat, on the other hand, is great fuel! However, it takes about 3-6 weeks for our body to switch fuel burning modes- from carb to fat burning.
There are great books about this: “The Primal Blueprint” (very fitness-oriented) and “Primal-Body, Primal-Mind” (more longevity/hormone/disease prevention oriented).

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 6:31 am

Erin, Yes, big fan of Mark Sisson (‘cept his hatred of oats. hehe). Tried Primal a few years ago, and it did not work, but I am slowly discovering that you are so right. I think I was/have been doing too much protein. Starting to up my fats. I love fats.

The Pancake Girl January 15, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Oh my gosh, that little girl is just precious!!

I’m trying a new thing- no coffee for a few weeks, just tea. I sort of just felt like it was something I should try, even though I’m basically a coffee addict. We’ll see how this goes.

ps. Your hair looks great in that pic!

Lara (Thinspired) January 16, 2010 at 1:01 am

Hi Heabie!
Yes, I totally know what you mean about the coffee. MOST of the time I love it, but on the days I don’t want it, I *really* don’t want it. I find that I really just like coffee in the morning only, rarely later in the day. Are you the same?
Lovin’ the avo wrap. OH! Guess what I bought today?! It begins with a “K” and ends with “abocha.” That’s the squash, right? Not the drink ;)
Happy Friday! xox

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 6:29 am

Lara, Can’t wait to hear what you think of your new squash!

Coffee later in the day – sometimes not, but often times, yes. However, try to stick with decaf later in the day.

Miz January 16, 2010 at 4:36 am

you are so flipping cute and NO.
I NEVER EVER GET UP AND THEN THINK THE COFFEE IS ICKCITY :)
up at 4 this am working and pretty much skipped to the coffee maker since I knew my java was waiting.

and
waitforit
its decaf these days too!

Just love the ritual of it all.

marla January 16, 2010 at 9:19 am

Coconut butter and avocado sounds so awesome!! Might sprinkle a bit of salt and vanilla stevia drops on top for the sweet savory thing. Love the Fluff mug…where did u get that??? I always crave coffee. Gonna go make another cup now!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 9:21 am

Marla, The Fluff mug is from Peanut Butter & Co. in NYC.

jenngirl January 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

That little girl is precious! :)

And yes, some rare times, I will be disgusted by my coffee…yet I still drink it. It’s such a strange relationship I have with it.

Lindsey January 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hi Heather, I adore your blog! (recent lurker/reader; coming out of the woodwork haha)

I have a question for you – Your diet seems to revolve mainly around protein and fats – I’m just curious to the health benefits of a diet like this (granted, I could google it, and I will, but I’d trust word from you much more!) as well as the differences/benefits of different types of fats, etc.
I hope that made some sort of sense, and any sort of information would be amazing [:

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Lindsey, I’m honored that you would trust my opinion. :) Gosh, my diet seems to be all over the place these days, but I always come back to the SAME conclusion. My metabolism is messed up from years and years of processed foods and way too much sugar. I do best on a high fat diet. Fat does not seem to effect by blood sugar levels, it keeps me full, does wonders for my hair and skin, and makes me very happy. I seem to gain weight with excess carbs as well as EXCESS protein. Again, this is what works for me. These past couple of weeks, I’ve been doing a lot of lean proteins, i.e. chicken breasts, egg whites, but I think my body does better with with more fat. I usually always eat a good amount of fat, but I’ve been trying to keep all my proteins lean…it’s not working. So, now I’m going to concentrate more on fat rather than protein protein protein.

I focus on fat b/c our bodies need it, and I feel so much with it in my life. Yes, we need carbs and protein as well. However, I have my thoughts on both. As far as carbs go, we do not need nearly as many as the FDA recommends in my opinion. You can also get all the carbs you need from veggies. I’m not a big fruit person b/c of the fructose, but that’s me. I do eat fruit, just try to keep it to one serving a day. Not sure how I feel about grains. Love ‘em and not giving up my oats, but I’m not sure if we need them. On the protein front, totally confused by all the different recommendations, but I was recently reminded that a high protein diet doesn’t work for me. I was aiming for 1 gram/lb of body weight. Too much.

We’re all different Lindsey, and the key is finding what works for you. Again, for me it’s high fat, less carbs and protein, and little to NO sugar. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is an interesting link on fats: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/22/fats-and-oils.html

Susan January 16, 2010 at 11:49 am

Gah! I Fluff mug!!! I LOVE marshmallow fluff. So much so I had it on my oatbran this morning ;)

glidingcalm January 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Yeah, I stopped drinking coffee because it was becoming 50/50- i loved it, or it made me incredibly nauseated! now i am all about the orange pekoe and earl grey tea with some sweetnah and milky. mmmmmmmmm.

Hope’s daughter is adorable! I hope that when I have kids, they eat that well too!

roasted kale. need to get on that. oh and massaged kale, and kale chips. pretty much all of that.

avocado is soo good. I love it on plain bread, or plain quesadillas. Add a little bit of full fat mayo and toms and MMMMMMMMM. We used to always have ‘cado sammys growing up! they were the best!!!!!!!

love you Mama HEABER!

Chelsea Ward January 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Aside from all the wholesome, delicious food going on in this post…my favorite part is the photo of that cutie patootie with her oatmeal! So adorable!

Lindsey January 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm

thanks so much heather!!

Lindsay January 17, 2010 at 6:54 am

okay I must try coconut butter now. It the only “butter” I haven’t tried, mainly because of the cost. It looks heavenly with avocado! Thanks Heather!
LC

Lindsay January 17, 2010 at 6:56 am

p.s.

I am a big fan of the paleo diet so I am loving your posts. Plus Kombucha is my addiction. I need to start making my own before we go broke, hehe!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hey Heather! My coconut butter wasn’t Artisana, but I bought some today so I could try it..I suspect that it will be a lot tastier than the brand that I was buying. Thanks for the tip ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Jessica, You will LOVE Artisana!