Back On The Fats Train

by HEAB on January 18, 2010

The winner of the chia seeds is Sarah. Sarah, congrats! Please email me your address, and by the way, to all you pizza for breakfast eaters, that is not weird. ;)

OK, so the higher protein thing just wasn’t working for me. It never does, and I don’t know why I keep trying to eat that way. I ALWAYS return to the way of eating that helped me lose weight, a diet higher in fat with moderate carbs and protein. I think the problem is that I always try and eat a ton of lean protein, and my body simply converts the excess protein to glucose causing me to gain weight…and trust me, the last thing my body needs is excess glucose. I was aiming for 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight, but now I’m no longer aiming for a certain number as far as protein is concerned. What I’m aiming for is fat, (my favorite), both saturated and unsaturated, but there is still some carb lovin going on…in the form of squash!

Have you ever seen these?

Kabocha chips!!!!! I did a little exchange with local reader JacobC. We traded some kabocha chips he received from a friend in California for a batch of Oaties. Oh my gosh, 2 of my favorite things combined into one: chips and kabocha squash. Thank you JacobC! These did not last long. :)

The other day, I was running low on kabocha, but really wanted some jarbocha, AKA kabocha in a jar (coined by brilliant reader Carolyn). So, taking a cue from Susan, who pimps out her yogurt with carrot baby food, I pureed the last of my leftover roasted kabocha with some steamed carrots, cinnamon, and stevia to fill up this jar schmeared with almond butta.

I’m not the only one doing some major kabocha lovin. Check out Carolyn’s stash…

veggies.jpg

Carolyn, I’m completely green with envy. I definitely see a trip to the Asian market in my future very very soon.

So, I know I’m going to get a lot of questions regarding saturated fat, and I am of the opinion that it is not necessarily a bad thing. I do eat meat, but I’m pretty picky. CD and I prefer grass fed FINISHED. Before you leave comments or email me regarding this topic, please read this post by Dr. Kurt G. Harris. This guy has done his research, and I think he brings up some interesting points.

I keep thinking today is Sunday since CD has the day off from work. On the agenda for this morning is some more hyperbolic resistance training, and then I hope to spend the rest of the day with my hubby until I have to go to work. See ya later. :)

Anna January 18, 2010 at 9:11 am

lol– love that pic of the veggie stash :-)

I’ve never seen those kabocha chips– very interesting!

Good for you for listening to your body and doing what you know is best for you!

Ameena January 18, 2010 at 9:12 am

I finally bought my first kabocha…can’t wait to try it!

eaternotarunner January 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

Those Kabocha chips look amazing! Jealous.

Abby January 18, 2010 at 9:15 am

Terra chips actually carries an “exotic mix” that includes kabocha now!! They are really good,but I can polish off a bag in one sitting bc they give you sooo little.

Enjoy your day!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 9:19 am

Abby, I love those chips, but yes, very dangerous to have around. :)

candice January 18, 2010 at 9:15 am

How come stores in California always have the coolest stuff?! I’ve never seen kabocha chips in any of the Whole Foods stores where I live. :( I wonder if I could make them? Love the “jarbocha”! ;)

Carbzilla January 18, 2010 at 9:15 am

Way to be adaptive to what works for you! I’m still trying to figure it out.

Kabocha chips – wow. I’m gonna need a food dehydrator, methinks.

Graze With Me January 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

Holy Kabocha Carolyn! That’s insane…. I would turn orange for sure.

I always get on those “I’ll eat this way for a while” kicks and then I seem to go back to what I’m used to. It’s fun to get all excited about something like that just to see where it goes. Even if it doesn’t work out at least now you know, right? Now there’s no questions about what works for you.

Jenny R. January 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

its ok honestly our bodies need poly-unsat, mono-unsat, and saturated fats! BUTTT if you get your saturated fats in the form of coconut oil/butter its a bonus b/c medium chain triglycerides are efficiently burned for fuel. YAY coconut. Fat = happy blood sugar balanced people :)

fitandfortysomething January 18, 2010 at 9:22 am

I can’t do the high protein thing either-YUCK!

Evan Thomas January 18, 2010 at 9:25 am

Thank you for your response to my email. I’m definitely thinking of replacing some of the fats in my diet with coconut oil.
And cool squash! I’m sure Jacob has devoured your oaties :-)

Veggiesmack January 18, 2010 at 9:25 am

High protein does nothing for me–just makes me crave carbs, lol!

Those kobacha chips look awesome. I really should buy a kobacha and try out some recipes!

homecookedem January 18, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’m still figuring out what my body likes… one thing I know it does NOT like are carbs. But they taste so darn good! ;)

Good for you for reevaluating what works for you. Those kabochips look so good! Did I just coin a new one? ;)

Enjoy spending time with CD!! :)

missyrayn January 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

I buy them three at a time when I see them. I love them but the don’t come to my sleepy little town that often.

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

i adore kabocha squash…those chips look perfect! i bet you could make a rockin’ dipping sauce out of yogurt and maybe some chives or something to dip ‘em in :)

caronae January 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

A few months ago, I read a book talking about how SF/fats in general have gotten a bad rap. I totally forget what it was called though! Anyways, I agree with you, and science actually shows that eating SF and red meat in moderation (i.e. you aren’t having bacon three times a day) is GOOD for you. The impact on cholesterol is pretty much negligible, and for people like us with insulin issues, it’s a good thing. I just made a stir fry with local grass-fed beef last night. So delicious. I absolutely love me some meat, and fat :)

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood January 18, 2010 at 9:47 am

I am so glad to hear that you are only eating was is best for you!! I also read this very interesting article the other day. It was titled “What if it’s all been a big fat lie?” By Gary Taubes and was published on July 7, 2002. I hope you get the chance to read it because it corralates with your ideas!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 10:16 am

learningtocookeeatandenjoy, I read that article a few years ago, and we own a copy of Gary Taubes’s book, Good Calories Bad Calories. I haven’t read the entire book, but I found what I did read very interesting.

Deb January 18, 2010 at 9:48 am

Yes, I’ve seen them in health food stores but never jumped into it- figured I could make it at home- what—oven?dehydrator?? What do you think? Think of how you could pimp this- stevia, cinnamon, CARDAMOM!! Oh, goodness, this could be fun.

Hyperbolic- que es hyperbolic??

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Deb, Not sure how to make those kabocha chips. They were so crunchy!

Hyperbolic resistance training is kind of like your hotel room workouts…short plyometric type intervals, like the pulse pyramid I was telling you about.

Sweet Cheeks January 18, 2010 at 9:55 am

I agree with you; fats rock! Enjoy your Monday HEAB!

Deb January 18, 2010 at 9:55 am

OK you closed your comment for the previous post but you KNOW that I had to comment because you used the word “penis” in your post! :-)

I couldn’t tell if you had 150 comments because of the fact above or the fact that you were giving away chia seeds :-D

BTW I’m pretty sure I noticed a bit of testicular action in the pancakes too.

Nom nom. Great idea to let the chia seed gel in the mix. You’re soooo smart!

Weirdest breakfast- well, I’ll just give you yesterday’s “I’m staying at a hotel but going to a conference-on the run” brekkie: bit of muesli soaked in a small amount of greek yogurt mixed with some Jay Robb (thanks Heabs!), layered on a low carb tortilla with PB (thanks Heabs!!), couple slices banana, sprinkle of peanuts. Eaten as a wrap on the streetcar. Odd.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

Deb, Your odd = brilliant in my opinion, and I can’t take credit for the chia gel in the pancakes. Got the idea from reader Carolyn. :)

Erin January 18, 2010 at 9:59 am

I recommend the book The China Study to all…Although I know itd be hard to live the way it wants one too…pretty much Vegan, LOW protien LOW fat diet….it has some great studies, and makes you think. :) Good stuff! your breakfast looks yummy, I love that squash, but never had it in an almond butter jar yet…or with nut butter! I will need to try it. :) Anything drenched in nut butters is great with me. :) LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! You inspire. :)

Mara @ What's for Dinner? January 18, 2010 at 10:01 am

Thats one heck of a veggie stash!! I’ve found that every time I bought what I thought was a kabocha, it was in fact buttercup squash. I have to get to the asian market soon!

Eleanor January 18, 2010 at 10:01 am

I’m still figuring out what works for me, but your experience seems to be much like what’s emerging from my various food experiments. I shed some excess weight on low-fat-raw-vegan, but was constantly cold, leaving me craving carbs but reluctant to give in to them due to insulin issues. Plenty of fat (all plant-based, in my case mostly cashew butter!) has kept me warm through a very cold winter and to my amazement I’m still steadily dropping in weight. It goes against everything I used to believe about fat. Yay! Love your blog, Heather.

Nicole January 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love how you preempted the comments by posting your backup link. Way to have your facts at hand!
As I’ve said many-a time before, you do what works for you. I feel like I eat much less throughout the day when I start my day out with a higher fat breakfast (ie coconut oil, flax, pb, etc added to my oats or pancakes or something)
And I think Deb is on to something with her Kabocha squash chip ideas…

Salem January 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

Too much protein makes me constipated. Too much fat makes me diarrheic. Moderate protein and high fat and high carb work best for me.Saturated fat is good. I drink a 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk a day (10 g saturated fat) and there is saturated fat naturally found in plenty of the foods I eat. What does CD do for work Heather?

I do have trouble making sure I get protein though. How can I get protein at every meal if I do not want to push animal protein at every meal?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 10:18 am

Salem, Chris is a financial analyst.

It’s tough if you’re not wanting to do much animal protein. I’m not a big fan of soy, but I do eat fermented soy products, including tempeh and miso. Nuts have some protein, but they’re mostly fat mixed with a little carbs. I’m not a huge legume person either, but you could try beans if that works for you.

Pure2Raw twins January 18, 2010 at 10:14 am

Love it! Love how you are listening to your body and doing your own thing!!! ;) You know we are trying to figure our bodies out too! Keep up the great work, you are so inspiring :) Fats are not the enemy like most people think, LOL :) You know we love our fats!

Carolyn January 18, 2010 at 10:34 am

That was 17.5 lbs of kabocha… and now it’s all getting roasted whole, peeled, seeded, and separated into 11 oz mason jars servings for the freezer… All kabocha all the time, whenever you want it…!!!

But my finger tips will be burnt by the end of the process from peeling the hot little buggers straight out of the oven.

Heather that heabjar looks especially wonderful today.. lots of nut butter visible… :-P

lindsey January 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

i don’t see anything wrong with a little grass fed beef!

and it tastes so much better, as well :)

♥ lindsey

Jenna @ Health and Happiness January 18, 2010 at 10:44 am

Kabocha. I have never even heard of this, but your recipes sound so good! Can’t wait to get to an Asian market now as well!

maggie January 18, 2010 at 10:44 am

Those chips are from WF??!?! Where have I been! And I’m orange with envy for that carrot/kabocha mix…yum!

Maggie

Susan January 18, 2010 at 11:11 am

Kabocha chips?? That’s awesome!!

It’s fun and interesting to experiment with our diets sometimes, but I always revert to the same way of eating too. I think if you’re body likes fat, then that’s what you should give it. Oddly, my body hates it unless it’s in nut form. No arguments here!! :P

Cindy January 18, 2010 at 11:11 am

loved your link…very interesting..I just realized if i eat some fat…appetite is GONE.
If i eat sugar…STARVING.

AMAZING
and I have never been able to ditch butter…part of me went WOO HOO when I read his blog. Coconut oil and butter are my two favorite oils on planet EARTH

I have a sneaky feeling the kabocha chips were fried. hence the crispy.

xo

Mandiee January 18, 2010 at 11:14 am

oh dearie! that is some serious kabocha loving going on right there. i’ve got to admit, i’m pretty green with envy myself. there are no asian markets by me so finding just one kabocha is a steal. i never thought i’d say this, but i miss fall. kabocha is my LOVE.
i’m glad to hear you’re back to what you know works for you body instead of what you think you should be doing. have a lovely day!

jenngirl January 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

Have a nice day off! And as always, I find it so refreshing that you have found what works for you in terms of your diet. You are a shining example that EVERYONE has INDIVIDUAL requirements.

Chrysta January 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

Love Kaboucha! My favorite way to eat them is with a little bit of cinnamon, vanilla stevia and almond butter. Super comforting! Yum! Im really interested about eating higher in fat than protein. Ive been playing around with this too. I feel that more protein doesn’t satisfy my hunger the way I think it should. Im not sure. Im really curious about trying to incorporate more fats in my diet maybe. Is there a certain range or percentage that you aim for? Have a great Monday hon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Chrysta, Nope, I just try and concentrate more on fat rather than protein or carbs. Some people aim for a certain percentage…I tracked yesterday, and I was at about 24% carbs, 22% protein, and 53% fat. I have no idea what my totals will be like from day to day. Trying not to get caught up in all the numbers b/c I obsess.

erintakescontrol January 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

Wonder if you could make kabocha chips in a food dehydrator? They look fab!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Erin, I think the chips probably require some frying. :)

balancejoyanddelicias January 18, 2010 at 11:43 am

I have a similar load of kabocha in my house right now, need to put them pretty and send you a pic of it, kabocha sister! :D
sweetie…. I remember that you went on high protein because of some hormone disorders… so it didn’t help?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Coco, High protein diet did not help at all. :(

Sarah January 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Thank you so much :) I’m so excited to try the Chia seeds. I might have to make those pancakes ;)

Sarah January 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Hey Heather, with as much squash as you eat, have you ever noticed your skin turning orangish? I love me some carrots, sweet potatoes and all kinds of gourds, but had to cut way back after friends started commenting that I was looking jaundiced from all the Vitamin A I was ingesting…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Sarah, I turned orange a few years back after eating 1 to sweet potatoes every day. I looked like I had done a really poor job of applying self-tanning cream to my entire body. Not pretty. The kabocha has not turned me orange yet. If it does, I’ll probably back off of it for a while.

Gracie January 18, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Just out of curiously, why do you think it is that your body reacts best to a higher fat diet? I’m actually really interesting in that concept regarding my own eating habits. And how did you come to realize that that was what works best for you?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Gracie, I gain weight if I eat a lot of sugar, even from fruit, and I gain weight if I eat a lot of protein, even if it’s all lean. From what I understand, the body converts all carbs to glucose. It uses the protein it needs, but then converts the rest to glucose as well. Excess glucose gets stored as fat. When you eat fat , it is used for energy when your body has used up all of the available energy from carbs, but will never be converted to glucose. That isn’t a license to go crazy on endless amounts of bacon or nut butter as anything in excess will put on the pounds.

FOR ME, after years of poor eating and lots of sugar, my metabolism is messed up, and I have to be careful about any amount of sugar floating around in my belly…cause that is where it will stay…right in/on my belly!

Gracie January 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm

curiousity** =)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I’m uber jealous of the veggie stash too! Still need to try kabocha sometime soon. The chips looks wonderful too!

Fats are my friend too :) but I try to go for the unsaturated fats just cause they make me feel good. If you can find a balance that works for your body then go for it! You know yourself the best.

Shannon January 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Amen, sista’ to the saturated-fat-got-a-bad-rap concept. I am doing a series on my blog right now about how getting back to traditional fats is foundational to health eating. Butter, coconut oil, even lard and tallow – we ate them for thousands of years, heart disease was non-existent, suddenly it’s evil, we switch to all vegetable oils and bam heart disease epidemic.

Brandi b January 18, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Now I’m really confused-is he saying that nuts and seeds are to be limited and instead focus on coconut oil and butter? I still can’t figure out what works for me I’ve tried high protein low carb I wish eating wasn’t so stressful!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Brandi, Yes, that is what he is saying, but my almonds are and will always be a part of my life, but I have no problem using coconut oil instead of canola or grapeseed oil, etc.

Don’t stress my friend. There is so much info out there, and I know it all be confusing. Just try and listen to your body…it will tell you what it does and doesn’t like. :)

EE January 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Heather, I learned the hard way over the past few weeks that too much fruit doesn’t have good weight implications for my body, either. I guess it’s a mild fructose intolerance, but that’s OK – more veggies for me, which my body enjoys. To each her own.

Cass January 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hi Heather Can you post a couple of sample days for a day now that you are back off high-protein? And can you give the calorie-count?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Cass, Yes, I’ll post a few days of eats soon. :)

Quix January 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Good for you for experimenting, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. I tried to eat at zone diet ratios 40 carbs/30 protien/30 fat and found it’s just too much fat and not enough carbs for me to run on. Oddly enough, with super intense 3-day per week training, I’m actually eating closer to that naturally (more like 50/25/25) and finding what I’m craving is pistachios and veggies and protein rather than all carbs/sugar all the time last half marathon. Which I like muchmuch better.

And I can’t wait to see your days of eats. :)

Scott in Ohio January 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Great to see/hear you are listening to your body’s signals.

Science seems to be heading in this same direction…good saturated fats being ok.

“Good Calories, Bad Colories”, “Nourishing Traditions”, and links from Marks Daily Apple all have very convincing evidence.

So important to make sure that saturated fat is from healthy animals, too, though. Glad you mentioned to your readers that your beef is grass-fed AND finished.

Jessica January 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Yay for fat! I have a significant amount of fat in my diet too and I LOVE it.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Kabocha chips!? That’s freakin’ awesome!
I have a kabocha at home waiting for me to hatch into it!

Gracie January 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm

@ your response:

I 100% know what you mean. When I eat lower carb, even if I’m eating *higher* in calories, I lose weight. And like you said, I don’t think anyone should go haywire eating butter, bacon, and cheese all day, but I do think that there is more truth to the “low carb” concept than most people give it. I’ll be honest, sometimes I don’t like admitting that I’m carb-sensitive because some people jump down my throat about it. I think people automatically equate the idea of eating less carbs with being on the induction phase of the Atkin’s diet.

Have you read the book “Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes? I haven’t read the entire thing, but it’s all about the carb/glucose/fat storage connection that you’re referring to.

Thanks so much for the response! =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Gracie, I tried to read Good Calories Bad Calories, but it reads like one long research paper. I skimmed a lot of it. :)

Kristy January 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I don’t see that the high protein I’ve been doing has done me any good either. I haven’t lost anything; in fact, I’ve probably gained a little. I feel fine, although I don’t think I’m getting enough fiber. I think I’m going to add a little bit more carb and fat.

I went to K & S on Saturday and finally got some kabocha (these had stickers)! It seems like everyone cuts it into wedges and roasts it, but it was so hard to cut that I just halved it and cooked it face down. Think that will turn out as good?

I also bought some chia seeds, but am not quite sure what to do with them. Do you just sub them where you would use flax (like in a green smoothie), or what?? I don’t want to waste them because I could only find an 8oz. pack at WF, and it wasn’t cheap!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Kristy, Make chia gel to add to your smoothies. Stir 2 TBSP chia seed into one cup water or nut milk and store in fridge over night. I make big batches at a time in a 32 ounce glass mason jar to have on hand for smoothies. I also like adding it to my oats after they’re cooked and then let the chia seeds thicken up the mix for about 15 minutes. Then I blend everything up in my blender. You can eat as is, but I prefer blending the chia seeds. Otherwise, they taste like little globs of gelatinous goo.

I love roasting in my kabocha in thin slices for fries, but if I’m going to puree it, I just wash it, place the entire squash whole on a foil lined baking sheet, and slow roast in a 275 degree oven for no more than 2 hours. It will practically fall open when you cut into it this way. :)

Sagan January 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I find it amazingly fascinating how different everyone’s bodies are… some people do better with high protein, some with high fats, and some with high carbs. We just have to figure out what’s best for each of us and then stick with it! Me, I find that I’m better off with higher amounts of carbs and lower amounts of fats. Too much fats make me groggy.

Deadra January 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Delurking…
When I was prengnant with baby #1 I made an effort to eat at least 100 grams of protien a day so that my baby would grown well. (so I was told) she ended up being small. And it was so hard for me to choke down all of that protien. This time I threw caution to the wind and had a much more intuiative eating style, and this baby (who is yet to be born) is huge! I have no GD or any sugar issues, he’s just a good grower! Interesting I say!

Deadra January 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Delurking…
When I was prengnant with baby #1 I made an effort to eat at least 100 grams of protien a day so that my baby would grow well. (so I was told) she ended up being small. And it was so hard for me to choke down all of that protien. This time I threw caution to the wind and had a much more intuiative eating style, and this baby (who is yet to be born) is huge! I have no GD or any sugar issues, he’s just a good grower! Interesting I say!

Erin January 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm

The reason people don’t lose weight or feel good on “low carb” is because they do the “low carb/high protein” thing and, like Heather said, too much protein converts to glucose, which gets stored as body fat. They usually don’t eat enough fat to run their body on and so their body sends out hunger signals or carb cravings! Fat has been demonized and protein glorified for so long that people get it backwards when they try low carb!

Here’s a great interview that addresses all these issues, and also issues of longevity and aging:

charlotte January 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Your protein epiphany? Mine also. I’m the same way – I keep trying it because everyone keeps saying how good it is and then I wonder why I ever departed from the way my body LIKES to eat and does well at. Fats? Three thumbs up!!

tryingtoheal January 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I actually saw those chips at WF the other day! how ironic!

and i’m glad you’ve figured out that the “fat” way is better for you than the protein. do what’s best for you and your body!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Kabocha chips=NICE score!
The fact that you know what percentage this or that fat or carb or protein you’ve had for the day…wow! I know some other bloggers know this info, too. I have no clue :) People write to me and ask me #’s questions and I seriously am so out of the loop on that one!
I do know that in my early 20s I hung around with girls who were big time gym go-ers and they were really what I’d call muscle girls. They loved to get big and lift. They would eat 1 g protein per 1 lb body weight. And guess what, they got real big! So, I think that your result of gaining on that path is not surprising. It’s a mathematical certainty, I’d surmise.
I am soooo happy you’re doing whatever path you want, that works, that you enjoy. That’s all that matters :)
And can I just thank you again for the email. You are amazing. Namaste my friend.
oxxo

jacobc January 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Glad you liked the chips, the oaties were gone asap!! Even her 8 and 4 year old loved them! We are going to attempt to make them sometime.. However chicken & Dumpling is the recepie of choice next..

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Heather, I completely agree with you, that your body tell you what it wants and needs! I am still learning. It’s quite the process. You’re lucky that you mostly have it figured out! :)

eatmovelove January 18, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Hope you find what works for you. It seems you’ve tried alot of different things…it goes to show, I think, that there is no perfect or RIGHT way to eat. I mean, before you were eating grains, then you were writing about lovin’ the high-protein, but now it’s the fats…it takes time I guess and the body changes…

Honestly though chick I think you might over-think it sometimes?! Don’t take that the wrong way please!! I just think you should relax and not worry about what proportions , macronutrients, or what will make you gain , etc…there’s more to life – as YOU of all people know!! Just go with it and eat as you feel and don’t overthink it. I actually have read several studies and read about people that just do better this way. Alot of the time what we think is right or wrong come from internal issues – meaning anxiety, worry, etc…when those issues are dealt with – then the body can just relax and BE.

But it takes time…and Lord knows I am not one to talk as I struggle every day…take care chica ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

You know, I’m sure those kabocha chips are totally common in Japan. Actually, I just did a post about funny sweet potato snacks that I found during my trip last month. They make the darndest foods from sweet potatoes! And similarly, kabocha/pumpkin finds its way into all kinds of things–I made french toast with kabocha bread while I was there. USA has not gotten this delicious memo!!!

Lola January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Hey chickity! Glad you are back to lovin’ on the fats! Mmm mm :) It is hard to figure out what works and what doesn’t so I commend you for experimenting, don’t be hard on yourself! Are you moving onto a primal diet? I would be sad if you gave up your oats :-( You just aren’t HEAB without them! How are things going anyway my dear? (I mean, because we talked about why you originally switched to the higher protein thing)… been thinking about you! Hope it’s going well :) Anyway- oats, no oats, high protein, low fat, lotsa fat- whatever- I love you no matter what! xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Lola, I owe you a phone call. We need to catch up, and no, not giving up my oats. Been there, done that, hated it. :)

Lola January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I meant to say! Email me if you’d like/have time, about how things are going, so you don’t have to post it to the whole world on the bloggie :) Oh and I totally agree with you that fat is not scary. Even saturated. I eat plenty of it! I am working on healing and I’ve been eating bone marrow from grass-fed beef too…. yucky sounding I know! But fat is not the enemy!

yogiclarebear January 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm

hi heather! when you say you gain weight from higher protein…are you considering that your body is building muscle? and muscle weighs more. sorry you probably know that lol!

going to read this blog article, looking forward to it actually. thanks for posting it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 6:17 am

Clare, I thought about that yes, and I wish it were biceps that were bigger. Unfortunately, it’s my belly. :)

Katie January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I think the fats train is a great way to travel! :)

Trail January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I’d be curious to try kabocha chips. Glad you found what works for your body and can just stick with that.

Brandi B. January 19, 2010 at 5:18 am

I am looking forward to seeing some sample eats–I always need new ideas! How much fat do you think you take in a day with the nut and seed butters? I always see that you are filling the jars, but I still measure out an ounce daily and at the most half of an avocado (which I try not to do in the same day since I use coconut oil and take fish oil:)–anyone have thoughts there?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 6:25 am

Brandi, I don’t aim for a certain number. Depending on my calorie intake for the day, my fat intake can be anywhere from 75 grams to over 100, and half of that is probably from nuts. Been eating a lot of avocados and coconut products these days as well as some full fat dairy.

rebecca lustig January 19, 2010 at 8:16 am

Insightful post! Those chips look sooo delicious, great find :)

Hope you’re doing well darling <3

livingfreeforever January 19, 2010 at 8:26 am

I haven’t had time to read the link yet, but find what you are doing very interesting. As you know, I have had a tremendous fear of FAT. I guess I’m confused because I thought that if you eat a lot of fat and still eat carbs that you would gain tons of weight–In other words, eating kabocha, oats etc. along with lots of fat. I thought that the carbs is what turns on the fat storing hormones. Obviously, I don’t know much about this, just confused I guess. I’ll try to read the link this afternoon. I DO agree that TOO much protein just gets stored like carbs. I’ve just never heard this view of fat! I also know that if I eat too much(and that’s not much) Sunbutter/nut butter I DO gain weight. Other fats don’t seem to affect me that way though–weird! Anyway, I look forward to seeing more about this ;)
XOXO
Kimberly

Jessica January 19, 2010 at 9:52 am

I am sooooo jealous of all of those veggies! I still have not tried Kabocha – I really need to do that soon!

Gena January 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You know how I feel about the supreme importance of healthy fats! Glad you feel strongly about them, too :)

Bekah January 20, 2010 at 1:10 am

hehehe if higher protein doesn’t work for you, that is totaaally fine. I’m just glad you know yourself well Heabs, and you choose to share your daily choices/struggles with the b’sphere!

Honestly I KNOW how I eat.. but in technical terms I really don’t know how I eat. I think I eat a balance of protein+fat+veggies+little carbs. but who knows really how much fat compared to protein I eat in a day.

Thanks for your sweet comments as of late Heather. They have meant soo much! Truly. BTW- I think my family finished off the christmas can of oaties in about a week. No joke. We LOVED them!

And I’ve already made them 3x since Saturday because now my mom wants to give them to everybody! My two best girlfriends and I went on a little road trip to Phoenix and had a picnic, and I brought half a batch (the 1 cup oats version), and Heather- the three of us ate them ALL. :) haha.

Off to go catch up on more posts.. ;)

{ 2 trackbacks }