Fat Up, Protein Down

by HEAB on January 19, 2010

Some of you requested a full day of eats now that I’m back to eating less protein. I’ll try and post a few different days if you’re interested. Today, I don’t have an entire day of eats to share with you, but I did manage to take photos of the following creations before scarfing them down.

Sunday’s lunch…I like to call it Guess The Pile On The Left. ;)

I had 2 whole eggs scrambled with mushrooms and some crumbled tempeh. On the side was a biscuit flat bread thingy I made with 1/4 cup blanched almond flour, one whole egg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. T’was schmeared with Nuttzo. T’was kind of weird. Recipe needs some tweaking, but still edible. I ate it.

I’ve also been lovin on some avocado ice-cream…

This is basically my protein ice-cream recipe made with 1/2 avocado and cocoa powder instead of rice protein powder. Toppings were unsweetened shredded coconut and cacao nibs. Chocolatey goodness soothes my soul at night.

I took the weekend off from working out, and I’m now on week 3 of my monthlong online personal training experiment. Honestly, it’s been a blast, and I’ve loved the variety. However, I can’t say I’m not looking forward to getting back in the yoga studio in February. I’m in need of a good long flow. :)

eaternotarunner January 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Mmm that avocado ice cream looks delish!

Evan Thomas January 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm

The egg dough thing sounds really good if you can perfect the recipe! I love me something doughy, warm, and packed with fat and protein

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm

that avocado ice cream is rocking my face of – it looks heavenly!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm

That avocado ice cream sounds evern better than protein ice cream, and I am a protein loverrrr!

eatmovelove January 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Interesting HEAB. As always! I haven’t been exercising as of late…but how come you aren’t keeping with your yoga? time?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Eatmovelove, Time. I’m sticking with the personal training this month.

Anna January 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Mmmm…I think that egg flatbread/biscuity concoction sounds pretty good! I’d eat dinosaur poop if it were smeared with Almond butter :-)

Julie @savvyeats January 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I imagine that the avocado makes the ice cream soooo creamy and smooth!!

Veggiesmack January 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm

The flatbread thingy looks tasty. Do post the recipe when you perfect it! :-)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I have an idea. Next time you make an egg-mushroom type pile, you should REALLY make us “guess the pile on the left.” Then if anyone actually names everything in it, you send her a Vitamix. Deal?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Diana, Sounds good! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Yum, that pile of eggs on the side! I love eggs and I am always throwing in whatever is left around the house! As for the bread thingy…I do that all the time. I playing around with my flours since I don’t buy very much bread from the store. It’s fun, but can be kinda strange too! I guess that is all part of being adventuresome in the kitchen!

lpskins January 19, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Holy hell, never in a million years would i think about avocado ice cream. bless your heart lady.

marla January 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Hey girlie! I gotta try the avocado/cocoa combo. Sounds like a hot trend these days! Gosh, I have not made the time for Yoga in so very long. Not cool.
Gotta a Coach’s Oats Give Away on FFC u might like :)
xxoo

Heather January 19, 2010 at 4:13 pm

That’s a frightening picture….but it sounds good!!! I do better with more fat too :)

Deb January 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Twas in need of Tweaking. I like it. Avo n cocoa in place of prot powder- bellllllly interesting! Well, u know your bod! I know mine too. 1000 cals into a grazing/potpourri lunch n I’m still hungry. Bottomless pit days reeeaaaalllly call for my blender!!!!

Allie (Protein Girl) January 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Heabs, you gotta read “The Truth About Beauty” – I think you’d totally love it. The author, Kat James, started off her transformation with Atkins, but wound up eating a diet more like Rosendale, which is lower protein and much higher fat.

And Deb – haha. I just finished off a giant cranberry/rhubarb shake sprinkled with Mexican pineapple crystal light. Like a tropical vacation in a cup. Ah….

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Allie, Yes, I think you were the one that told me about it before. It’s on my Amazon wish list, and I actually just requested it from the library. Thank you!

Angela January 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

that ice cream sounds good!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Sometimes I make scrambled egg mixtures like that one and I totally guessed that it was eggs before reading!

Mae January 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Hey Heather, do you ever freeze the avacado? I have before and it’s really good!!! (so creamy!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Mae, Yes, I usually keep a stash of frozen peeled and sliced avos in the freezer for smoothies. Need to restock!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm

yay for more downward dogs for you, soon! And yay for the squash tutorial in the prev post! :)

Lindsay January 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm

oh yea, just bought more almond meal so I’ll have to try your recipe. Looks heavenly to me!

Danielle January 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I love how you just throw things together (i.e. biscuit flatbread). It sounds good!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I have to say that biscut flatbread thingy looks awesmoe!! with some tweaking I am SURE it will be DELICIOUS!!!
I need to try this avo icecream! I see it all around the blogosphere :)

Katie January 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

That is a picture of what my breakfast looks like nearly every morning! I love egg scrambles. Have you tried them with hummus yet? It is my new obsession. Scrambled eggs + veggies + hummus with a side of nut butter filled dates = breakfast heaven!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm
Katie January 19, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I just read the comment about frozen avocados – I did not know you could do that! Awesome! I want to make that avocado ice cream soon. :)

Susan January 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I like the idea of scrambling tempeh with your eggs. I’m gonna have to try that!

Sarah January 19, 2010 at 8:12 pm

i think your lunch looks delicious! i personally think the “ugliest” and “craziest” looking meals often taste the best because it’s a delicious surprise.

i think i want to join you on the fat train :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Sarah, Join me. :)

Runeatrepeat January 19, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I love when you post ideas of your daily :) It reminds me that I don’t have to eat what everyone else is eating and can do what’s right for me!

glidingcalm January 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm

i love your eats. just love them.

avocado protein ice cream? can I get a bowl!?

Margie January 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I would love to see you come up with a muffin/biscuit recipe that tastes good. I have almond flour sitting in the fridge waiting to be used, because I don’t know what to do with it. Maybe I’ll dig around for some possible recipes. Please post if you tweek it.

sophia January 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Ah, Heather! All that eggs need is a squirt of ketchup to jazz it right up! :D My scrambled eggs is more like scrambled CHEESE with a touch of eggs. lol.
That biscuit flat bread thing looks very interesting!

Erica January 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Interesting distinction!

Now, um…would someone explain to me what the difference is between a yam and a sweet potato? Please?

brittac January 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm

The ice cream looks great. I tried to read the PaNu guy’s blog, but it is over my head I feel like I would get it more after a biochem class.

Trail January 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm

When I saw the “guess the item on the left” food, I figured it was a scrambled egg concoction because it looked a lot like the food my husband calls a “wreck.” I can definitely relate to those semi-decent recipes where they aren’t great, but they’re edible. You already put all the work into making it, so you just eat it anyway. Mediocre and all.

The avocado ice cream looks heavenly!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) January 20, 2010 at 1:01 am

YUM! I want to make that ice cream!

Haha, I’m a protein and fat lover. Carbs…eh, they iz good, but I prefer them as landing pads and holders for all my nut butters and meat!

Bekah January 20, 2010 at 1:20 am

haha Deb+Allie crack me up. And youuu my dear amaze me with your fat consuming skills! I have yet to try cocoa+avocado, but it still intrigues me to this day!

Can’t wait to hear about what you thought of your month fitness experiment!

Fallon January 20, 2010 at 1:39 am

How come your Nuttzo looks so creamy??? I opened up a new jar and could barely MIX it. It was so dry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 20, 2010 at 7:47 am

Fallon, Really? I haven’t experienced a dry jar of Nuttzo yet. Sorry. :(

Jaclyn January 20, 2010 at 6:29 am

have not heard of avacado ice cream! interesting!

rachael January 20, 2010 at 6:43 am

You avocado ice cream looks amazing!

The Deranged Housewife January 20, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Hey Heather–I’ve noticed that in a lot of your pancake and bread recipes, you use both baking powder and baking soda. Is there a reason? I ask because although both are leaveners, only baking powder will actually work in some of your recipes. Baking soda needs to react with an acidic ingredient (like buttermilk, honey, coffee, brown sugar, lemon juice, etc.) in order to create carbon dioxide, whereas baking powder only needs liquid and heat to leaven. Baking soda can also impart a soapy taste to food–I don’t find it unpleasant if it’s just a little, but some people do. I don’t see acids in most of your recipes, so if you’re not happy with how they’re turning out, you can always try leaving out the baking soda.

I know, I’m a complete geek about food chemistry, particularly if it has to do with baking. But since you’re somewhat of a mad scientist in the kitchen too (and I mean that in the very best way), I thought you might be interested. TDH

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 20, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Deranged Housewife, I love that you know about this stuff. I’m only using both baking powder and baking soda b/c a reader tried adding it to his pancakes, and he said he made them fluffier. I use so little that I never taste the baking soda, but if it’s not doing anything, I think I will try leaving it out. Thanks! -Heather