A Savory Morning

by HEAB on January 21, 2010

Several of you requested to see what I’m eating these days now that I’m not eating grilled chicken breasts 24/7. So, I’m posting all my eats today.

I’ve been waking up craving salty foods which is so unusual for me. Usually, I crave sweet in the morning. I’m guessing it’s because I haven’t been eating as many carbs…or perhaps it’s because CD’s bacon and egg concoctions always smell so good. :)

This morning, I sauteed some onions, frozen artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and spinach in a little ghee and then scrambled all my veggies with some tempeh bacon and 2 eggs. Topping everything off was 1/2 a butchered avocado. Be warned…this is not very pretty…

A few of you also asked about my daily calories/fat intake. I’m not going to count up every macronutrient for every meal as I know myself all too well, and I will start obsessing. However, I don’t mind adding up the numbers for some of my daily eats to give you an idea of how/what I eat. After all, I’m always curious to read what others eat, but I know that I may need more calories, or I may need less. So, please keep that in mind. Our bodies are not the same, and we all have different needs.

I like to keep my breakfast under 500 calories. This morning’s totals:

Picture 1.png

Oops, didn’t even include my 2 cups of coffee with cream, and I was already over 500…AND I’m still hungry. Oh well, at least it was tasty.

The plan is to post everything that crosses my lips today over 2 or 3 posts so as to not overwhelm anyone with a super long post at the end of the day.

OK, off to do some Tabata Intervals before my first massage therapy session this morning. Don’t forget, you have until January 31 to use the Jay Robb promo code found here before it expires. Also, I often get inquiries about my favorite kitchen appliances (spiralizer, frother, food processor, etc.), and I’ve set up an Amazon store with some of my favorites, including foods and yoga gear as well. You can click here to visit. :)

Weekly Bite January 21, 2010 at 9:35 am

Delcious looking breakfast! Love the addition of Temp Bacon :)

Have a great day!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

You are so lucky you can still get avocados – here in PGH every single one I get is rotten and costs me $10.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 21, 2010 at 9:43 am

Jessica, That stinks. I would die w/o my avocados. Do you have a Costco near you? We always find the best avocados there.

Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar January 21, 2010 at 9:40 am

I crave savory foods EVERY morning.

Monique January 21, 2010 at 9:43 am

Messy but yummy looking!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 21, 2010 at 9:45 am

I am the same way – I cannot add up everything I eat for a calorie count. I would freak out, I’m sure! =)

Cindy January 21, 2010 at 9:53 am

your breakfast was a lot like mine yesterday only your’s had way more interesting things. LIKE AVOCADOS

I would die without my daily one too~ DIE I say, just DIE.

wonder how I survived before I did that?

xo

Ameena January 21, 2010 at 9:56 am

That looks super filling and a nice alternative to oatmeal!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) January 21, 2010 at 9:58 am

Love tempeh bacon! It must have tasted great with avocado. :)

Anna January 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

Mmmmm…avocado for breakfast is such a great idea! I mean, it is a fruit after all, right? :-)

Veggiesmack January 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

That makes me want a tofu scramble. The avocado looks so good! I’ve been craving savory breakfasts more often as well, but I usually end up having a smoothie or a Larabar.

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 21, 2010 at 10:14 am

I’m so angry I stocked up on Jay before the coupon!!! Boooo.
The breakfast sounds good, and it looks fine! ;-)

eaternotarunner January 21, 2010 at 10:15 am

I think the breakfast looks awesome, but I have been on an avocado kick lately ;-)

Babs January 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

Ahhh I love and hate tabata!

Gracie January 21, 2010 at 10:24 am

You know, I usually crave sweets 99.99% of the time. But I’ve found that after a night of drinking, all I crave is salty foods! And the thought of sweets makes me feel ill! Isn’t that weird? Obviously I’m not saying you drank last night (haha) but your post just made me think of that little fun fact about me =)

I’ll defitely be checking back later to see your daily eats. I agree that having to count calories can really stink sometimes, but like you said – it’s nice to see what/how much other people eat from time to time. So thanks for that!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 21, 2010 at 10:50 am

Gracie, I tend to crave salty foods when I’m dehydrated. It’s our body’s way of trying to tell us something. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 21, 2010 at 10:31 am

I usually don’t crave salty meals in the AM either but I’d totally make your breakfast as a dinner!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 21, 2010 at 10:59 am

i’m fine with you never sharing calorie counts (i get obsessive about it too) because I love just garnering great food ideas from your blog! you eat very healthfully and you eat GOOD FOOD, so as long as you promise to keep doing that, i’m game :)

Mama Pea January 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

Not much to say about your eats except how much I love that you are so in tune with what you want to eat! But I did want to add that our cat’s name is officially “Ghee.” Turns out little kids can’t say “Maggie” so well, so I’m left explaining why our cat has the name of clarified butter.

adrienmelaine January 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

Excited to check out your Amazon store, love the product you use on here, I hope you get Nutzo, and the ability to ship to Canada (for that matter).

That brekkie looks amazing! Have fun the with Tabata Intervals- the first couple are always easy, it’s the last 3 or 4 that kill!

Evan Thomas January 21, 2010 at 11:08 am

I feel like I’ve eaten sooo many avocadoes recently, but they’ve all been made into something chocolate, haha.
Now I’m craving tempeh bacon

caronae January 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

I’m normally a sweet breakfast person too, but that combo sounds mighty tasty!

Jenny R. January 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm

i love that you cook with ghee

Abby January 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Sometimes the “not pretty” lookin meals are the best!! Im stoked to check out your amazon store!

Laura January 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Heather, how do you keep your avocados from browning?! I use lemon juice, but that only works if I store them immersed in said liquid for a very short time- not very portable! Any HEAB tips?! On another note, I’m sad, the Kabocha supply in dwindling both in numbers and size over here ;(

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Laura, Whenever I save half an avocado for later, I always just store it in a Ziploc bag with the pit left intact. The top may brown a little, bet it’s usually fine. If I know I probably won’t eat it the next day, then I de-pit, peel, and slice and store in the freezer for future smoothies. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Love your store! I have posted on my various gadgets that I have (including the same spiralizer as you) and put them into an amazon “wish list” thingey, but should make something nicer…b/c i get tons of ?’s too.

Avo’s. People sure seem to have problems getting them. I do take that for granted in So Cal or AZ where by and large, they are no more than 2 bucks each and never bad.

Calorie counting. Wow. I try not to. I eat what are know are good choices for my body and I never know the stats. I have a rough, and i do mean rough, mental tally (sometimes) of protein, fiber and was this food full of vitamins, but not so much on the calories/fat/protein specific stats. I always get asked in my recipes to create this and I refuse! Too much work :) You’re a good woman for doing this for your readers :)

Amy January 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

oohhh… your breakfast looks like what my dinner aspires to be every night… I’m a big fan of breakfast all day long…

I’m slowly getting better at those veggie scrambles! I stress the word “slowly”…

chrysta January 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Great looking breakfast!

Angela January 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I always crave sweets in the morning. I will wake up thinking of chocolate!

N.D. January 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

N.D. January 21, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I love reading this stuff and really wanted your breakfast that you posted the other day with the eggs and mushrooms. Also your ice cream just looks so smooth. Mine is like an icee! Is the difference blender (me) vs vitamix?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm

N.D. Yes, I think it’s the blender. If I make it in my Magic Bullet, I use about 1/2 the amount of ice.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I love some egg scrambles! They do always smell so good! I think I will have one tonight for dinner! Yummy!

janetha January 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm

contrary to what you said, i think that looks REALLY pretty! good enough to eat, you’re lucky you got to.

Katie January 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm

That looks a lot like my breakfast from today. But I smoothered mine in nooch sauce. :D
Thanks for the tip about freezing avos, by the way. I just bought a bunch that I was worried about eating fast enough.

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Heather, the breakfast looked amazing! Love the fact that you added avocado, I will have to try that with my eggs :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

You just described my situation when I eat a non-smoothie breakfast of any kind…500 cals into it and still hungry. Just not worth it for me. You’re a better woman than I!

jenngirl January 22, 2010 at 8:53 am

Sometimes the most unattractive meals turn out to be the tastiest! And I always adore your intent on embracing the fact that we are all individual and unique, with individual and unique needs! Such a healthy message :)