Listen To The Pimps

by HEAB on January 22, 2010

OK, so Deb always swears by her morning shake. I remember it’s one of the first things she told me about when we started emailing back and forth last year. I am never one to crave smoothies. I mean I always enjoy a good smoothie, but the thought of Hmm, I think I’ll make a smoothie this morning never really crosses my mind. I’ve always been more of an oats or eggs…or pancake kind of gal. However, lately, my breakfasts have been pretty high in calories, but they’ve been leaving my hungry. So this morning, I went with the Deb and Allie method, and made a big smoothie. It was delicious. I am full.

Into my Vita-Mix went

2 cups water

25 grams chocolate Jay Robb rice protein powder

1 TBSP cocoa powder

1/2 TBSP maca powder

Stevia or sweetener of choice

cinnamon

1/2 tsp guar gum

1/4 tsp xanthan gum

I blended all my ingredients, and then added 15 ice cubes and blended again. The gums my friends…you NEED the gums. I know, I know, xanthan gum is expensive. I think it’s $15+ a bag at my Whole Foods, but I’ve literally had the same bag since this past summer. It will last you forever, and 1 bag of guar gum is only $4.71 online (plus shipping). I try not to order foods online as our grocery bill is already high enough, but guar gum is not available in Nashville. However, ever since Deb was kind enough to send me my first bag, I know it will forever be a staple in our kitchen. I can’t believe how creamy and fluffy both gums make my smoothies.

The above recipe filled this huge cereal bowl…

as well as this 16 ounce coffee mug…

I topped my smoothie with 1.5 TBSP whipped heavy cream and the last few nibbles of Deb’s Holy Mole nut butter. Sniff sniff. Deb, I’m so sad it’s gone. It was truly amazing!

Many of you have asked me about the cream and my dairy allergy. Well, I’m trying to add more saturated fats to my diet, and so I’m upping my coconut and full fat dairy intake. I do have a problem digesting dairy proteins. Lactose is not my friend, but neither are the whey and casein proteins found in dairy. I emailed Alisa over at Go Dairy Free, and she answered my question regarding dairy allergies and the use of full fat dairy products on her website. Heavy cream still contains some proteins, but butter is often okay for people with mild dairy allergies. So, I’m experimenting.

The stats for my uber yummy and uber satiating breakfast:

Picture 1.png

Can that possibly be right for such a filling smoothie? Yes, it can. It’s not that I’m encouraging anyone to eat a low cal breakfast and save all their calories for later in the day. I used to do that, and for me, it was a bad idea. However, I don’t like eating a substantial breakfast high in calories only to be left hungry 1 hour later. I think Smoothie Girl and Allie the Pimp are really onto something. ;)

What are your thoughts? What fills you up best in the morning?

mrssturgis January 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi Heather! That smoothie looks So delicious! I definitely fill up in the morning with a smoothie, though mine are much less beautiful. I usually throw in some hemp protein, frozen acai, spirulina, almond milk, and a dollop of almond butter. It fills me up without being heavy and lasts me about 3 + hrs of steady energy. Sometimes I also have a piece of sprouted 7 grain toast with a little almond butter with the smoothie and that’ll keeping me going well into lunch time!

I can’t wait to get a vita mix!

Have a great day :)

Rachel January 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

Wow, that looks amazing. I can’t believe it’s so few calories when it’s SO MUCH!

I generally have grits and fruit, but on the weekends I have eggs, french toast, or pancakes. Something I don’t have time to make during the week :)

Weekly Bite January 22, 2010 at 10:53 am

Lovely looking smoothie! I need to try xanthum gum next time.

adrienmelaine January 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

That smoothie looks amazing! I’m going to buy some gums today, you sold me on it!

I always find I top my smoothies with granola or cereal and then eat them from a bowl. Something about spoon to mouth I just enjoy, and then sipping my coffee on the side.

Amanda Jewell January 22, 2010 at 10:57 am

You should try adding fruit (and greens if you’re interested!) into your smoothie rather than the gums! 1/2 banana + 1/2 apple minus the gums & your smoothie would be even more amazing & not have the polysaccharide! have a great day HEAB!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) January 22, 2010 at 10:58 am

Looks like a lovely smoothie and a great alternative to your usual morning breakfast. I’ll have to experiment with gums, even though they are expensive I can see how they can be beneficial to make smoothies even more satisfying.
Also – I love the look of the blog!

Mama Pea January 22, 2010 at 11:02 am

YES! I’ve been eating my smoothies in a bowl for breakfast for about a month or two straight now, and I just CRAVE them in the morning now. Of course I need a big hot cup of coffee to warm up afterwards, but so worth it.

EE January 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

I like smoothies, but they never cross my mind in the morning (when I usually go for hot cereal of some sort or else a tofu and brussels sprouts mess). And perhaps they should! Glad to see it’s possible to make good ones with no dairy.

Erica January 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

The smoothies look yummy. For me though, drinks (smoothies or otherwise) never make me “feel” (totally mental) full. I need to chew! I like fruits and nut butter or toast and nut butter. Ovenight oats are another favorite :) Happy weekend Heather

Deb January 22, 2010 at 11:10 am

Heabie! Thanks for the major shouts! And well, it’s stating the obvious, but I cannot live for long without my shakes, or I gain weight pronto. They are the ONLY ONLY ONLY thing that makes me full for hours. If I feel like ‘real’ food, I have that sometimes, but usually the smoothie does wonders. And oddly enough, I find that if I eat eggs, oats, whatever- not only am I hungry an hour later (after up to 500 cals) BUT I”m hungry the whollllllllllleeeee rest of the day too. Not so with smoothies. I can’t explain it. Inexplicable. I just know what works for me. If I didn’t do smoothies, I’d be a good 10-20 pounds heavier with out one question in my mind. So glad it helped you today! :-) And PUUUURrRrrrrty with the cream on top- very artistic!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

really anything with oats does the job! thankfully i’ve been able to find lots of great oats recipes to use, too :)

i love smoothies in the summer, but usually have to eat an egg or some oats on the side to be full for a period of time!

Lauren January 22, 2010 at 11:15 am

Hey Heather, just wanted to let you and your readers know that both gums can be found for a really good price (I think) at http://www.vitacost.com I love this website where I get my vitamins, fish oil, natural toiletries, etc. Flat shipping of $4.99. Here’s a link to Bob’s xanthan gum http://www.vitacost.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Premium-Quality-Xanthan-Gum?vbnpid=34917
(I should get some major coupons from these people with all the promoting I do w/ friends and family, but so far, no dice!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 11:23 am

Thanks Lauren!

eaternotarunner January 22, 2010 at 11:18 am

Oatmeal really fills me up if it has nut butter in it :-) My favorite breakfast is cereal but usually I am hungry again soon after!

Melanie January 22, 2010 at 11:26 am

I usually divide my breakfast in half because I have to eat so early (6 am). For example, yesterday, I had five egg whites with hot sauce at 6 am, and at about 9, I had 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup soymilk and about 1 tbsp tahini. That usually does it for me. Because I have a desk job, I have to divide up my meals so I can eat a lot during the day. Otherwise, I find myself *wanting* to snack all day (not *needing* to eat). This morning, I tried your protein pancakes and they were freakin’ AWESOME!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 11:31 am

Melanie, So happy to hear you enjoyed the pancakes! :)

Tamizn January 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Ummmmmmm yummy looking smoothie, I sometimes have a smoothie for breakfast but usually have quinoa flakes and protein powder porridge which fills me to lunch for sure!

I just made a batch of your avocado ice cream pudding and can’t wait to dig in later for pud, thanks for the idea x x

Jenny R. January 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

I used to eat a full fledged breakfast of champions but now I start off the day light. I don’t count the cals..I just kind of judge it by how full I am. I find if I fill up too much in the morning I feel lethargic and foggy. That is why the fats are key. They keep you satisfied.

janetha January 22, 2010 at 11:39 am

how funny~ i was just rambling about how long smoothies keep me full for! i have seen a whole new light now that i’ve got the gums. seriously! i think it is crazy that smoothies are so low cal but keep me full for so long. maybe it is the volume? anyyyyway~ have a great weekend my dear! xo

maggie January 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

Yum! I really do need to buy some gums..its just the price tag thats putting a knot in my stomach! I too have dairy allergies..I can’t handle whey. Actually yesterday I had some without knowing it and it sent me into a huge flu like state..not good! I find that some ice cream and butter products don’t bother me though so its a balance I suppose. For breakfast the combination of protein, fiber, carb and fat always helps. Oatmeal never holds me over though..strange huh!

Maggie

Beth January 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

Love the gums – they are truly a miracle worker! I always have greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, fruit and fiber cereal or oatmeal for breakfast and that seems to hold me over quite nicely – I have been saving the smoothies/protein ice cream for dessert, but maybe I’ll make a smoothie for breakfast this weekend!

courtney January 22, 2010 at 11:58 am

Hmmm, the more I think about it nothing keeps me full for long in the morning! I usually have oat bran made with milk and then top it off with some nut butter, but at most it keeps me going 2-2.5 hours, and usually not that long. I will have to try the smoothie technique–they never keep me full for long either, but I’m thinking some Jay Robb might remedy the situation… Thanks for the recipe (I actually own xantham gum and it is totally owrth the price tag, just gotta find some guar!!) :)

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm

It’s definitely important for me to eat a filling breakfast. It actually influences my whole day. I usually have an ezekiel muffin w/nut butter. Nothing fills me up like ezekiel!!

Ameena January 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Oatmeal with flax really fills me up like nothing else!

Heather January 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Wow so much smoothie and so few calories!!

Pumpkin or banana oatmeal with nut butter usually holds me over quite well, but this morning I added a couple egg whites and it’s really keeping me full much longer. The protein really makes a difference in staying power.

Veggiesmack January 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Smoothies, potatoes, or Larabars (for some reason) are the only things that keep me remotely full in the morning. Oatmeal always leaves me hungry and so does just about anything else.

Kelly January 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Yum that looks great!! In the morning I find that as long as it is well rounded (i.e. protein, carb and a fat) then I will stay full for a good 3 to 4 hours! Have toy ever tried almond cheese? I am not a big dairy gal either and almond cheese is REALLY tasty!! I find it at Whole Foods!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Kelly, I’ve seen the almond cheese but never tried it. Perhaps I will pick some up next time I’m at Whole Foods. How is the melting factor?

Scott in Ohio January 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm

If you’re grooving on the whipped cream you should definitely give the coconut milk (full fat, of course) a go. Oh my goodness.

Also, I discovered something with that kabocha smoothie I made earlier this week. Psyllium husk fiber helps to thicken and keeps me satiated for much longer.

Have a good weekend! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Scott, I just froze a whole can of full-fat coconut milk into cubes for my morning smoothies. I’ve tried it before, and I can’t wait for them to be ready my next smoothie adventure. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Love the step by step blow by blow. THEN, add 15 ice cubes. See, I always make glue :) when I use XG and GG and have begun to tire of wasting$ my precious ingredients so I never Smoothie or Pimp much (love you girls!!). This inspires me, and it’s choc!

And I love Alisa and that post, I had not seen that one…I find that if dairy does sneak into my life and it’s full fat, I am much more ok with it. It still throws my tummy for a loop sometimes, but not nearly as badly. Love that you’re experimenting and can’t wait to hear more about it all!

Evan Thomas January 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I’m usually very traditional with my breakfast with a bowl of oatmeal, a tablespoon nut butter, and a bowl of greek yogurt with jam. I like a good, healthy 400-500 calorie meal. Some mornings like this morning I just want fat and will be heavy handed on the nut butter or trade greek yogurt for chocolate avocado pudding.
I must have got a deal, because my xanthan gum was only $10. I have yet to find guar, though

Haylee January 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I want to try the gums SO BAD, but they are so dang expensive! What if I end up not liking them..??..I guess ill just send them to you :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Haylee, Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

Ana January 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hi Heather!
I don’t comment very often but I read your blog everyday and truly enjoy it!
I am another fan of Morning Smoothies!! Since I started having a nice smoothie in the mornings (a few months ago) I haven’t felt hungry, it is just like you said, it may not look like a lot of calories but it does fill me up, and for hours.
Every morning I make mine with fruits (at least 1 cup), water or milk (soy, almond, or dairy), 1 tbsp ground flax and some protein – either whey protein powder, or hemp, or sometimes greek yogurt (and I noticed that the greek yogurt is the one that fills me up the most and for longer periods – sometimes it makes me even too full).
I love my smoothies, and I don’t even add ice to it. I like it creamy but not too cold, as I get cold too easily, especially now on during the winter. It always makes for a big mug/cup of deliciousness for my breakfast, I just love it!!
Love your blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Ana!

Megan January 22, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Hmmm…I might have to give it a try! I’m usually a fruit-focused smoothie girl, but that DOES look delish!

Katie January 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I am addicted to the gums also. They make the smoothies so foamy and creamy, and filling. I concur about the almond cheese. It’s great, but it doesn’t melt like regular.

luckytastebuds January 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Heyy there Heather!! This is a comment inspired by your last post, which reminded me that you had gone off dairy completely. Do you mind me asking why you decided to finally forgo it, or perhaps refer me to some sources to read up on going dairy-free? I’ve studied up a ton of sites, but a lot of them aren’t put together well or aren’t scientific at all. I’m considering going dairy-free because of a health issue. I had a few calcified lumps in my breast as a teenager and had them removed, but they seem to be coming back. My mom suggested that it was due to dairy products and the hormones in them. Do you know if there’s much truth in that? I just love yogurt (but I don’t drink milk) and would be a little bit sad to give that up, but would love to hear what you have to say on this topic! :) Thank you so much…hope you have time to give me some advice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Luckytastebuds, Here is my post discussing my decision to go dairy free: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/15/youre-going-to-give-up-greek-yogurt/ .

As far as informative sites go, I recommend http://www.godairyfree.org, and the book Go Dairy Free. It changed my life. Alisa Fleming is the author and Go Dairy Free is her website. The girl has done her research and has helped me a ton.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Lucky, P.S. Not sure about the hormone thing, but Alisa could probably give you some answers.

Lara January 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

If you could only use one of the gums which one would you use? Or is it something about the combo of the two that works so well?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Lara, I’ve only ever used both gums, and so I’m not sure which one I prefer. You can read all about both and what they do here: http://smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/2009/12/saturdaysunday-smoothie-guar-and.html

Elina January 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Smoothies never really fill me up (long term) even if they seem filling at the time and have protein in them. Maybe the gums are the trick because they make them thicker. I looked for some at my WF last weekend with no luck. Maybe another location will carry them. I really want to try all of your gum-needing concoctions! :)

charlotte January 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Deb & Allie both totally rock the smoothies! They’re not even smoothies any more but works of art!! For me, with so many kiddos, breakfast has to be simple. I’m an egg/white scramble + toast and fruit or oatmeal or yogurt kind of girl:)

Liesl January 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

The smoothie looks good and is definitely low in calories, and chalk full of protein, fiber and some fat…but I don’t see much other nutrients going on. There’s no fruit, or veggies…I don’t think I could do something like this for breakfast in the morning and really feel like I was getting vitamins and needed nutrients. Just a thought.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Liesl, 1 scoop of Jay Robb’s rice protein contains 2% of your daily vitamin C, 10% of your daily calcium, and 30% of your daily iron. Not too shabby, and as far as other vitamins and minerals go, I usually eat my weight in various vegetables throughout the day. So, I don’t mind if breakfast is veggie free. I used to add spinach to all my smoothies, but when I did, I was eating between 5 to 7 cups of spinach a day…all that organic spinach adds up in cost. So now I usually save the spinach for my salads or egg scrambles. :)

Quix January 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm

That smoothie is divine-looking. I can’t believe how much for how few calories either! I might have to rethink my “not-drinking-my-breakfast” stance…

cbrazas January 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I’ve come to accept that I eat like a hobbit in the morning. I eat one meal (usually oats and pb) before I leave for work at 6 and by 9 I’m ready for second breakfast (usually Chobani and a piece of fruit). I don’t know how I’d feel drinking a cold smoothie on the way to work with all the snow outside.

Kristy January 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I always have smoothies for breakfast, and lately I’ve been loving my “Blueberry Almond Dream.”
Add to blender:
5oz. 2% Greek yogurt
5oz. frozen blueberries
1/2 scoop strawberry protein powder (~13 grams)
1/3 tsp. unrefined coconut oil
1 T. almond butter
1 T. of chia seeds gelled overnight in water
4 oz. spinach (which you can’t taste)
Blend it up thick and delicious! Lots of protein and fat.

Pure2Raw twins January 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Oh yes we love smoothies for breakfast. We have a green smoothie everyday. Normally water, a dark leafy green, some type of fruit, flax or chia seeds, coconut oil, and stevia. We sometimes add hemp protein powder. And yes smoothies are very filling : ) Glad to hear you gave a smoothie a try for breakfast.

Susan January 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Confession, I’ve had both gums forever and haven’t tried them because I hate cleaning my blender!!! But we seem to have similar morning hunger, and if you say this works I’ll try it ;) What fills me up best are 33-33-33 carb-fat-protein breakfasts. Usually oats with protein and a glob of nut butter. But I find the food can be different so long as that ratio stays the same :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Susan, After your smoothie, just put some hot water and liquid soap in your blender, cover it, and turn it on. Makes clean up super easy!

Kristy January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Heather, does your Vitamix get muck stuck on the inside of the container? I’ve scrubbed and scrubbed, and it won’t come clean. At first I thought it was tiny nicks in the polycarbonate, but it’s actually a film-type stuff – sort of like a hard water stain. The only way I could get any of it off was to use a little oven cleaner! I’m not going to scrub the whole thing with oven cleaner, though. I wash it after every use, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong…It’s only ~2 years old.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 7:52 am

Kristy, Yes, my Vita-Mix had the same film, and I posted about it once. You can read the comments on how to get it clean here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/09/17/rainy-day-smoothie/ I poured boiling vinegar in it and let it soak. It got it clean, but it also cracked the blender container. Don’t know what I was thinking pouring boiling vinegar into my blender. I would fill your Vita with vinegar, run it 3 to 5 minutes until hot, and then let it sit overnight. You can also try the same thing with water and baking soda. I ended up getting a new container.

Allie (Protein Girl) January 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

Wahoooo! I’m a pimp! Thanks for the love! Just had myself a room temperature green smoothie.

Bekah January 25, 2010 at 9:48 am

LOVE the stats! And that’s why I like to vary my breakfasts with a 250 cal smooothie or a 450 cal oatmeal bowl. Or a 300 cal egg+fat power breakfast (hello protein pancakes!) ;) ;)

Great smoothie dedicated post.

{ 6 trackbacks }