Playing With Stickers

by HEAB on January 22, 2010

I’m still posting all my eats…not sure for how long. Maybe through tomorrow? Anyway, lunch was 100% veggiefied.

My morning smoothie filled my belly, but by noon, I was pretty hungry. I started out with a bowl of steamed Brussels sprouts topped with Trader Joe’s Horseradish Hummus.

Then CD and I both went to town on some kabocha fries…OK, so I did most of the going to town, but CD helped a little. :)

After eating pureed kabocha for a few months now, I’d forgotten how yummy plain roasted kabocha is. All I do is cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place the squash halves face down, and slice into thin strips. I then roast them on parchment lined baking sheets in a 425º oven for 40 minutes. They come out kind of dry, and I love them. Gosh, I think I put away at least 1/2 of a large squash, and then had a few sips of the following…

I would like to thank Justine for introducing me to this flavor of Kombucha. I was always a Divine Grape girl, but this one is really good.

I do not have the calorie counts for my lunch. Every nutritional calculator I’ve seen has kabocha listed as 30 to 50 calories a cup. THERE.IS.NO.WAY, meaning I think these numbers are too low. Kabocha is so sweet, much sweeter than pumpkin, and it’s gotta be higher in calories. So, I just eat it and try not to worry about the numbers. However, one of my readers goes by about 15 calories per ounce which sounds much more reasonable to me. So, that means at lunch, I ate about 2,000 calories worth of squash. Well, not really, but I probably could! Mmmm…I love it.

While I cleaned up the kitchen, I tortured my pup with the kabocha sticker…

Hehe, sorry Radley! Did you guys have sticker collections when you were younger? I had notebooks full of them. Kind of a weird thing to collect, no?

Cindy January 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm

mmm, perfect lunch to me!!

I have leftover chicken enchiladas but just not feelin’ it.

I had a killer sticker collection as a kid. I still buy them but for ahem thekids ahem.

oh well, it is a silly thing to collect but stickers are fun!

xo

Lara January 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I think the 30-50 calories/cup is fairly accurate. Winter squashes are very starchy. Pumpkin is about 30 caloires per 1 cup cubes and I have read Kabocha is actually higher calorie/starchier than pumpkin.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Lara, I think 30 calories per cup is way too low. Just doesn’t make sense to me – kabocha tastes so much sweeter than pumpkin.

KL January 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Do you put any oil when you roast the kabocha? I have never tried it before and I just bought some last nite.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

KL, I never put anything on my kabocha. Nada.

Runeatrepeat January 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Putting a sticker on your pup isn’t as bad as a sweater (though I’m guilty of both I think)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I just had my first kombucha yesterday! I had the strawberry flavor – I actually really liked it!

Lara (Thinspired) January 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been interested in the calories in kabocha as well. Why do you think the 30-50 calories/cup is off? To few? Or too many? I know I shouldn’t get caught up in it, but I would like to be somewhat aware at least!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Lara, I think the numbers are too low. Kabocha is too sweet, much sweeter than pumpkin. It’s gotta be higher in calories.

Abby January 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Fabulous lunch!! Do you eat the skin of your kabocha??? I always do, but sometimes my stomach isn’t a fan afterwards!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Abby, I always eat the skin. I love the way it tastes, and I’m lazy. Never bothered my stomach though.

janetha January 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

STILL never tried kabocha. shame on me. there’s that hummus again. i think i can recreate this one~ and considering my stuffed sinuses, i probably should. horseradish is the cure for that! i love your pup :) torturing animals is always a good time! i didnt collect stickers.. but i collected cat figurines.. um yeah, anyway…

jacobc January 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm

mmmm, kabocha chips!
Pooooor radley… ;-p

BTW- John Deere is THE thing to collect!!

Ashley January 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Every time I try cutting into a squash, it seriously takes a force of nature (or my man) to get through it.

Am I cutting into it wrong or something?

There is no way that squash has so many calories. At least it’s healthy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Ashley, We have a really good knife, but I still have a hard time cutting the squash sometimes. It takes a lot of strength and patience. Once I get it cut in half, and can place the halves face down, cutting it into thin strips is usually fairly simple.

beth January 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Hi Heather, I’ve noticed that you and CD rarely, if ever, drink alcohol. Not that it’s really any of my business, but do you avoid for calorie reasons and better overall athletic performance? WHat are your thoughts on drinking and trying to lose a few pounds? Can the two mix?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Beth, CD will have a beer if we go out to eat, but I rarely drink. It’s not really a calorie thing, I just don’t like the taste of wine or beer. If I do drink, it’s usually an amaretto sour or some other girly/fruity type drink. :)

I think you can lose weight and still enjoy alcohol. Just keep it to 1 or 2 glasses of wine or beer a week. If you’re trying to lose weight, the calories can add up fast.

Sian O'Brien October 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Yay! Someone who also doesn’t really drink alcohol because of the taste! I’m sorry to hijack an old post, but I was so excited to see I’m not alone :D

HEAB October 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Hi Sian,
Nope, so not alone. Really wished I liked wine, but I just don’t. Much happier with ice water or something sweet and fizzy. :)

suzi January 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I love your blog. I’m with you on more fat less protein way of eating. I like to roast my veggies with coconut oil. Anyway, where could I possibly find kabocha squash? You and Jenna (eatliverun) are “killing me” with all talk about how great it is. I want to try it NOW. Surely some place in Chicago sells it but I have not seen it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Suzi, The only place I can find kabocha squash is at my local Asian Market.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Suzi, P.S. Thanks for reading my blog. :)

Evan Thomas January 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I collected stickers at one point. hell, I collected EVERYTHING at some point or another

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

what a great lunch! i could totally pack away an entire squash in one sitting if i’m not careful! radley is adorable! :)

Carbzilla January 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I can’t tell – do you think that’s high or low for Kabocha calories?

Remember when Mrs. Grossman stickers first came out (you may be too young)? They were the simplest things but we all went NUTS for them. They still make awesome stickers (and that from a reformed scrapbooker who still owns a sticker binder).

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Carbzilla, I think that’s too low for kabocha. It’s so sweet, and I think the calories are actually higher. 30 calories a cup? No way kabocha is the same or lower than pumpkin.

Don’t remember the Mrs. Grossman stickers. I’ll google them. :)

eaternotarunner January 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I am always sticking my fruit/veg stickers everywhere!

Heather January 22, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I collected stickers and erasers :)

Chris Hill January 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Heather,

I need to try that kabocha stuff! I had the worst stomach cramp ever due to my poor eating and not enough water. So my body told I need veggies, so I just got back from Costco. I picked up a veggie platter, veggie burgers and my second jar ever of almond butter. I might add that to some oatmeal later tonight. :-)

I am sick of this raining weather…I wish my gym was so far away. I need to exercise! :-)

Chris

thedelishdish January 22, 2010 at 4:22 pm

brussel sprouts with hummus is one of my favorite meals!! i always buy the spicy trader joe one but im intrigued by the horseradish flavor! will have to pick some up!

Lara January 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Heather, true it is sweeter/starchier than pumpkin. I have been using the info from this link:
http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/kabocha-squash.aspx but typically keep a serving to 100 grams or less. I treat it as a starch opposed to a veggie in terms of balancing out a meal.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Cool Lara, thanks for the link. Yep, definitely a starch.

Chris Hill January 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Ooops I wish my gym wasn’t so far away…well, it’s not too far….but,it does take a lot of gas.

Chris

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I had roasted veggies today…so good! I needed the hummus though!

EE January 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I collected stickers . . . and erasers that looked like food.

Have never tried the TJ’s horsey hummus!

Lauren January 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Hey Heather, I tried the kabocha squashes, and sadly, I was sorta dissapointed with the texture. I think each time I was hoping it would taste/feel like butternut or sweet potato, and as you know, it doesn’t. BUT, I bought another and don’t want to give up on the kabocha! Do you think it would be softer and maybe even sweeter if I roasted it whole or in half for a long time? Like maybe 325 for 2 hours or so?? I have no clue. Thanks for any tips!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Lauren, Try slow roasting your kabocha whole (don’t even pierce it) on a foil lined baking sheet in a 275 degree oven for 2 hours. This method basically steams cooks it internally, and it will practically fall apart when you cut into it. If I’m making kabocha soup or a squash puree, I always use this method.

Errign January 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I totally had a sticker collection too! Love TJs hummus, but I’ve never tried the horseradish flavor – sounds yummy!

Stephanie January 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm

When you said 30 calories, I had to look around. That seemed low to me too.

While searching I saw something that screamed “HEABify me!” — Kabocha Walnutella Cake!

The recipe didn’t look exciting to me, but the result did. I think I would eat it without turning it into a cake…Just some kabocha puree with walnuts, hazelnuts, and some simple cocoa/agave chocolate sauce… but the idea of kabocha walnutella cake… drool!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Stephanie, Oh my gosh. Kabocha Walnutella Cake??? Yes, definitely drool worthy! Thanks for the link, and I must say I like your version in a bowl much better.

Kelly January 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I love Kombucha!!!! My favorite is the orginial! And I will confess I drink one every single day! :) Kind of an expensive habit but….

missyrayn January 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Wow that was a lot of squash but the stuff is so yummy.

vanessa January 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I TOTALLY had a sticker collection!!! Wow, does THAT bring back memories…My favorites were the fuzzy ones :) .

Heather January 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Mmmm roast squash… I wish I could find kabocha try finally try out but I was just at the store and none was to be found :(

Your puppers is so cute!

vanessa January 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Oh, and about the calories in kabocha…I have been wondering about that for the LONGEST time!!! I’m glad someone else doubts the “50 cals per cup” thing. I mean, the stuff tastes, “feels,” and fills you up like a sweet potato…it’s GOTTA be similar calorically, one would think. If you (or anyone else) comes up with either a more accurate calculation – or and explanation – I’m eager to hear it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm

You’re a posting MACHINE. Way to go!!
Anyway the Trader Joe’s Horseradish Hummus….ok so I took a really long hard look at the hummus/refrig case at the Scottsdale TJ’s last Sunday b/c I remember of all people, Justine SAHM when she used to blog more…that she mentioned that one. And now you. It must be a Nshvle thing b/c the AZ stores, unless I am blind, dont have it. I can hardly even eat hummus (beans!) but for horseradish, it would be worth it. Or, I need to get w/ janetha and recreate on our own :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) January 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm

That roasted kabocha is calling my name! I could easily eat an entire squash to myself. :) Love the grape flavored kombucha as well, but I recently tried the guava one. It is so good!

Donca January 22, 2010 at 5:58 pm

It’s interesting that there are so many sources that say 30 calories.

This site says that the are 100 calories per cup.

Not sure which I believe however I love Kabocha and since it is something that comes from nature I don’t mind “indulging”. However I do think that it is good to be informed at times so I can eat mindfully when needed.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Donca. 100 calories seems a bit more accurate to me.

mclowers January 22, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Oh, I had quite the sticker collection as a kid. I was pretty much a freak for them. I also liked stamps and collected those as well.

lindsey January 22, 2010 at 6:41 pm

aww sticker collection isn’t weird at all! i was the weird one…i used to only pick off the sticker AROUND the stickers :) awesome.

♥ lindsey

Carolyn January 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Both those food pictures looked really yummy today…NEVER seen a better picture of the roasted kabocha! I say we count that plate as 25 calories total.. at least for today!

Paul is completely in love with steamed brussel sprouts now and we will be trying that hummus combo tomorrow…If we can find some stinkin brussel sprouts without having to drive 45 minutes…

Hope you are having a restful fun night…

Keep posting all your eats.. You reminded us of roasting the big K and also recently that i have frozen artichoke hearts in the freezer to use… :-)

Carolyn January 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I count my kabocha as 15 calories an ounce …

after comparing the consistency of canned mashed kabocha… to canned cooked pumpkin…

122 grams of canned pumpkin is 40 calories… so that means .33 calories a gram… times 28 grams in an ounce…is about 10 calories an ounce for pumpkin… BUT…. and there is always a big butt… my pureed kabocha is not the same consistency of canned pumpkin..it’s much denser… i would have to add water to make it that wet, which would mean it would weigh more to be the same volume as pumpkin….. so i count it as 15 calories an ounce…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for doing the math Carolyn. You know I go by your guidelines. :)

Ashlei January 22, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I love kombucha! Gingerade and citrus are both so good too! I’ll have to give the divine grape a try.

Amy January 22, 2010 at 7:36 pm

LOVED my sticker collection–especially the smooshy ones that had some kind of gel inside with tie-dye colors.

lpskins January 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I just found my sticker book–and by book I mean a whole photo album full of them. There were SOOO many cool ones in there and the scratch and stiffs still smelled! Can you believe it??? Me either. I’m 29 so they’ve been in there for a good 18 years. Quality, quality stickers back then.

Deb January 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm

What do you mean “did you have a sticker collection WHEN YOU WERE A KID”? Obviously you don’t know me very well. I’m a grown (and growing) adult and have a current sticker collection. Well, they are “unstuck” so I can include them in cards, gifts, or as in your case- I can put it on my pet’s butt :-) Sam will just LOVE that!

Michelle January 22, 2010 at 8:29 pm

For your Chicago reader, Suzi, that asked about where to buy kabocha . . . . I go to Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights (largest Japanese marketplace in the midwest). It’s awesome! People drive from all over to shop there . . . their website gives lots of info on all they offer. Soooooo worth the trip! And they always have plenty of kabocha! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Michelle, I’ll forward this to Suzi.

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 22, 2010 at 8:41 pm

My super cool Hippie-Christian-Holistic Neighbor makes her own kombocha! It’s really good!
I wish I could find kabocha around these parts more often, my newest food science endevor is determining calorie content of foods by burning and converting from BTU’s per hour to nutritional calories… Should be interesting!
(I’m a dork.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 22, 2010 at 8:45 pm

No way Mae. I think that would be so fun.

Jessica @ Fit & Clean January 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I bought some Kombucha at Whole Foods. I bought the green one. YUCK! I am all about original and peach, so far. I guess I didn’t like to drink algae, LOL ;)

Katie January 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I just can’t get into kombucha. I tried some homemade stuff at a friends house and it just tastes like stale fruity beer to me.

Kabocha on the other hand….is so good, I really could care less about the calories. I mean, really, it is a vegetable! I can see getting worked up about the calories in ice cream or cookies or something, but I refuse to limit my intake of the vegetable of the gods! :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 7:53 am

Katie, Vegetable of the gods…I love it!

Jamie January 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Woahh, I just discovered a TJ’s near me and I’ll be heading there ASAP for horseradish hummus! I’m not a huge brussel sprouts fan but maybe I can become one? In all honesty, I haven’t tried them in awhile ;) Thanks for posting your daily eats!

Maya January 23, 2010 at 12:55 am

Just piping in on the kabocha nutrition issue.

There are actually two varieties of kabocha generally available on the market. The Nihon kabocha (Japanese kabocha), and the Seiyou kabocha (Western kabocha). The Seiyou kabocha is the more common here in Japan, (and I’m guessing that holds true for most of the rest of the world as well) and it is the denser, sweeter one that most people are used to.

The Japanese numbers also can’t totally agree on exactly how many calories there are in kabocha, but they seem to all cluster around a certain range. The higher number seems to come up more often in searches, so that’s what I generally go by.

Seiyou Kabocha (100g raw)
Calories – 91
Fat – .3 g
Carbs – 20.6 g
Fiber – 3.5 g
Protein – 1.9 g

Nihon Kabocha (100g raw)
Calories – 49
Fat – .1 g
Carbs – 10.9 g
Fiber – 2.8 g
Protein – 1.6 g

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 7:55 am

Thanks Maya, Those numbers for the Seiyou sound more reasonable than the ones I’ve seen here in the States.

Marla (Family Fresh Cooking) January 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Loved my sticker collection, especially the puffies. The ones with the googly eyes were most coveted. Gotta try that roast Kombucha. Sounds addictive!

Nicole January 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Not weird…. the stickers I mean! I used to collect them too. I want some kabocha.. I think I found one, I bought it but haven’t made it. It looks orange in some spots though… super ripe?? I don’t know.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Nicole, I always look for the kabocha with the orange spots. In my experience, they are the best tasting. Enjoy!

Mandiee January 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

do you know the difference between the two kinds of kabocha? now i’m totally curious :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 24, 2010 at 9:10 am

No Mandy, I don’t. I think I’ve only ever bought the Seiyou.

Bekah January 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

I wonder the same thing about kabocha! I usually just figure its probably the same as pumpkin. But when I eat the skin, I don’t count the skin as calories. Lol. ;) More fiber, whatevs. Its good, and its good for me. I love that you eat so healthy Heabs, but when you go overboard on kabocha or accidentally make a 700 calorie breakfast, you just go with it. And say heck, I enjoyed it at the time. So who cares?

Loove ya. xoxo