Squash Staying Power

by HEAB on January 22, 2010

Oh my gosh, I was full for 6 hours straight after all that roasted kabocha at lunch. CD and I ate dinner around 7 PM. He opted for veggies stir-fried with bacon, eggs, and Parmesan cheese, and I ate something I haven’t had in years…

A bowl of baby pooh. No, just kidding, it was canned soup. You guys know I haven’t had baby pooh in months. ;) I finally tried Amy’s Split Pea soup. It’s been sitting in our cabinet for a few weeks, and tonight, I just wanted something warm and bready. So, I toasted two La Tortilla Factory tortillas and alternated between dipping them in the soup and the last of my Horseradish Hummus. As far as canned soups go, this was actually really good. The ingredients are not bad at all, and I loved that it was not too salty.

The nutritional info. for dinner including my chocolate dessert…

Picture 2.png

Following dinner, I ate 1/2 square of Bakers unsweetened chocolate and called it a night. The photo of the chocolate was so boring, and so in Conan fashion, I’d like to reminisce about a classic moment in HEAB history…

Remember the Raw Chocolate Cherry POM Pie I made for CD?

Gosh, that was good. Enjoy the rest of your Friday night my friends, and goodbye Conan. I hope you’re not gone long!!!

Meg January 22, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Ahh that dessert looks amazing! Hope you have a wonderful evening :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) January 22, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Seriously 6 hrs? I need to go back and find your exact meal so I can repeat it. I had canned soup the other day too- it was nommy truth be known!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 7:57 am

Deb, The squash was huge – at least 3 pounds, and I ate most of it. CD ate some, but then I went back after lunch and finished it off. That on top of the Brussels sprouts…I can still feel them sitting in my belly.

Mish January 23, 2010 at 1:52 am

I love pea soup…and that dessert looks amazing.

Anna January 23, 2010 at 6:20 am

Mmmm…I made split pea soup the other night! Nothing better in January!

Betherann January 23, 2010 at 6:29 am

“Baby pooh” made me laugh (or, more accurately, snort) out loud. :)

KT January 23, 2010 at 6:36 am

Another long time reader, 1st time poster – I must say I love all of your eats HEAB! Due to your love for the kabocha, I have even made my whole family try it, including mom and dad who do not adventure much from their regular rotation of foods. They were very pleasantly surprised!!

And due to your love of yoga, I am very happy to say that I have finally taken a few classes (4 in this last week to be exact) – and my big old husband has even joined me.

I also wanted to address the question from the poster from Chicago – I have found kabocha at Whole Foods and Dominick’s (and also a few different Asian markets).

Keep those crazy recipes coming – I love attempting them all.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 8:00 am

Thanks KT, So happy to hear you and your family enjoyed some kabocha and that you and your husband are doing yoga together. I have yet to get CD to join me in the studio. ;)

EE January 23, 2010 at 7:00 am

Sometimes I notice Amy’s brand items taste a little like Trader Joe’s brand items, so I’m wondering if that’s true for the split pea soup. One of my favorites!

Heather January 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

Wow that squash really held you over! I don’t eat much canned soup either but Amy’s split pea is one that I have when I’m in the mood for some soup.

The dessert looks AmAzInG!

danielle January 23, 2010 at 7:16 am

Something seems wrong with that calorie label…
1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories, 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat = 9 calories. So the total is something like 596? Weird.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 7:58 am

Danielle, Maybe the tortilla calories are off…something to do with their fiber content?

Ashlei January 23, 2010 at 7:22 am

That Heather Pie looks so delicious!

theemptynutjar January 23, 2010 at 7:36 am

Heather, I love Amys soups…especially the split pea soup. Its awesome with bread, wraps, etc on the side. I really like the combos. You need more dessert and chocolate in your life!
I am Team Jay actually. Big fan of Jay – I always watch his show now, so I might become a really -late night watcher when he goes back to late night.

homecookedem January 23, 2010 at 8:24 am

That dessert was definitely a beautiful moment in HEAB history. Thanks for letting me reminisce! ;) Happy Weekend!!

missyrayn January 23, 2010 at 8:44 am

I can’t eat split pea because it looks like puke or baby pooh. I’ve never been able to get past it.

And I remember your pie. I still hagen’t replicated it but drool every time I think of it.

Abby January 23, 2010 at 9:15 am

Kabocha is incredibly filling.. I always pair it with more veggies so my stomach is always happy for awhile too.

That soup is quite flavorful for being a “canned” variety.. Amy’s really can do no wrong!

Jessica January 23, 2010 at 9:17 am

That cherry POM pie may be the most amazing thing I have ever seen!

eaternotarunner January 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

That dessert look unbelievable!

adrienmelaine January 23, 2010 at 9:41 am

That dessert looks amazing!
Is there a recipe coming with?

Do you also find that raw desserts are healthier then “regular” ones? Or about on par?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

Adrenmelaine, You can read the recipe for the Chocolate Cherry POM pie here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/28/heather-pie/

As far as raw desserts go, sugar is sugar. However, when given the choice, I will always choose a raw dessert over a conventional dessert filled with with flour and Crisco. Raw desserts are usually made with nuts, fruits, raw chocolate or cacao. Much better ingredients in the raw desserts, but both are usually high in calories.

janetha January 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

i hate salty stuff so thanks for noting that the soup wasn’t bad. i always find canned soup super salty. 6 hours? there is something to that squash…

have a great weeekenddd!

mclowers January 23, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love split pea soup. I have to admit that I totally love the baby poo colored stuff. My mom makes the best stuff on earth. I swear she is the soup Nazi because every soup she ever makes is amazing. Whenever she does make split pea soup I undoubtedly will eat my way to the bottom of the pot in no time. It is that good.

Danielle January 23, 2010 at 10:35 am

Baha I’m never thrown off by baby poo- looks good to me ;)
Omggg that pie looks delicious! Raw desserts are quickly becoming a staple in my diet.

Gracie January 23, 2010 at 10:37 am

Heather, as much as I loveee your blog, I kind of regret reading this post. Why? Because now my mouth is literally watering from seeing the Chocolate Cherry POM Pie….!!

Run Sarah January 23, 2010 at 10:55 am

I think soup is the least photogenic food, ever!! So tasty though.

Jamie January 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Split pea soup is my all time favorite! I would say it is a year round soup, but better for those cold winter days! I love making it on my crockpot from scratch so the sodium content can be controlled.

Candice January 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Hi Heather! I’ve been reading your blog for a little while, but haven’t commented so much yet…sorry!

I absolutely adore split pea soup, and I totally agree that Amy’s is pretty darn good. Sometimes I take it to work for lunch if I’m in a pinch.

You also inspire me to do some yoga. I’ve done one class at my gym that was a combo of yoga and pilates, but the other yoga classes offered there are at times that I can’t attend. Bummer! You make it look/sound so enticing!

Michal January 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That POM pie looks amazing – I need that pie in mah belly right now.
kthxbye :)

carolinebee January 23, 2010 at 7:09 pm

OMG HEABS, i’m the saame way, literally NEVER ate soup before i moved to the frozen tundra :D You MUSTTT try the amy’s lentil soup it is my favorite, and really not at all your stereotypical “canned”/blah soup!!! Have a great weekend, it’s so fun to see all of Heaby’s eats lol :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 24, 2010 at 8:20 am

Thanks for the tip Carolinebee, and stay warm my friend!!!! Love you. -H.

Carolyn January 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

Why can’t all these companies trying to keep us healthy make their products with less sodium??? Drives me loco…my puffy little water retaining fingers are typing this right now… ;-)

Picking up that Amy’s pea soup today.. Love pea soup… dam the sodium.. Your dinner looked very wonderful…

Nice (Heather) pie!

CaSaundra January 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

I swear that everytime I visit your blog, the recipes/food keeps looking better :-)

Annabel @ www.FeedMeImCranky.com January 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

that raw dessert is causing a work health hazard. i am currently drooling on the keyboard. in front of my co-workers. this is not good.