Ohh May, I Think I Love Ya

by HEAB on January 23, 2010

There are so many amazing blogs out there, and every once in a while I’ll discover a food blogger that really wows me with their creativity in the kitchen. Mae over at Ohh May is one of them, and she’s only in high-school! Mae, I cannot wait to see where your life takes you as I truly believe you are headed for greatness. :)

A few weeks ago, I bookmarked this pizza, and today, I decided to finally make it. I present to you the best homemade pizza I’ve ever made…OK, so I haven’t made many, but this was just too good for words. I’ll let the photo do the talking. Mae, you’re a genius!

I followed Mae’s directions but switched up the toppings a bit. I used 2 TBSP tomato paste with a sprinkle of Italian seasonings, 1 piece of bacon cooked with some spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1 TBSP nutritional yeast mixed with 2 TBSP hummus + water to thin, and a drizzle of tahini thinned with water. I’m with ya Mae, I think I could eat this everyday. Seriously, YOU WILL NOT MISS THE CHEESE!!!!

For more pizza topping ideas from Mae, click here.

My camera would not allow me to download the picture of my beautiful chocolate peppermint smoothie breakfast. So I took that as a sign to quit posting all my eats, and as far the calorie count for the pizza? It was too good for me to care. Mae, thank you for changing my pizza eating life forever! :)

EE January 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Wow! Minus the bacon, this looks like a fantastic option for me. I never liked cheese and don’t eat dairy anymore, so the tahini option is genius. And a far better option than eating the La Tortillas plain, it seems (since I go through those quickly and then my gut regrets it).

Mama Pea January 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Not the prettiest pizza I’ve ever seen (sorry), but my mouth is watering just thinking of the hummus, tahini and nooch!!! Too much deliciousness!!!

Chloe (No Sugar and Spice) January 23, 2010 at 1:20 pm

That looks incredible, I am always looking for ways to spruce up my dairy-free pizzas so this is awesome! Must add tahini and hummus to it next time.Thanks Mae and HEAB!

Mimi Honeycutt January 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I LOVE seeing creative pizzas! Most interesting I ever had had a sweet potato crust. Anyway, this one looks great. Thanks for getting us acquainted with this cute little blogger!

Anna January 23, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Mmmm…looks amazing! The combination of nutritional yeast and hummus is brilliant!

Jessica January 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’m sold on Mae – her header has figs in it!! I LOVE FIGS!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Heather, you are one of the sweetest women I know! Thank you so much for the shout out and I’m so glad you liked the pizza. :-D

Your recipes save my life and I have a HEAB inspired faux-cheesecake protein ice-cream post coming up soon!! :-P Love ya Heather!!

Mae

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Mae, I love *YOUR* recipes. I meant every word I said in my post. :) Love, H.

rhodri89 January 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm

RE: Mama Pea.

I think it’s pretty! It’s very colourful and does what all food should do, look tasty! Yummy…

Deb January 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yay for Mae! A new Heab-approved blog to check out! Choc pepp dmoothie Heab??? Talk to me sister!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Deb, Water, chocolate Jay Robb rice, cocoa, stevia, peppermint extract, gums, ice, and topped with whipped heavy cream and crumbled dark chocolate. YUM!

eaternotarunner January 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

That does look AMAZING!

Emily January 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Pizzzzza! My favorite.

I just became a fan of Heather Eats Almond Butter! Whoooo!

Erica January 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Such cool toppings! Love the avocado. I’m totally going to check out ohh may now!

Errign January 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Chocolate peppermint smoothie? Oh YUM.

Evan Thomas January 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Mae is so awesome. Did you know she interns for a peanut butter company and helped develop one of their seasonal flavors? It’s sitting in my pantry now :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 23, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Evan, I did not know that. Makes me love Mae even more…if that is possible. :)

janetha January 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

thanks for introducing us to mae~ that pizza looks great. i need to use up my costco-sized bag of la tortillas!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? January 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I’m blown away by Mae’s blog…and holy crap that pizza looks fabulous!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Being a dairyfree (vegan) AND gluten free girl…pizza is something I wrote off a long time ago…til I saw this! And it makes me feel like it’s possible to do it, well. Sure, I have seen some really (bad!) vegan impersonations of pizza…but this looks glorious. And thank you for the hot tip about Mae’s blog, had no idea she was out there. Love great new creative, inspiring bloggers (who are in h.s.!) and stumbling upon them. I know of a couple raw-ish breads/flatbreads that can double duty as pizza crust I think :) Yay!

Have a great rest of your weekend, Heather! :)

oatsandchocolate January 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

hi! oh my gosh this pizza looks amazing[: what a smart idea to use tahini! do you think chicken would work on it, or am i just being crazy? thank you so much heather (and mae!) xoxo soph

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

Oatandchocolate, Yes, I’m sure chicken would work just fine. :)

Jeannie January 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Holy Yum! I was having a tortilla pizza for dinner tonight anyway (black olives, yellow peppers, garlic, and mushrooms) but added some hummus mixed with nutritional yeast and pine nuts after reading your post. It totally stepped it up a notch.

Jenna January 23, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yummy pizza!!

fartygirl January 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

HEABS, seriously… I squinted at this photo for like five full minutes in disbelief… I cannot believe that’s NOT cheese! The recipe does look good. But so does your handy work. You are an artist.

Mandy A January 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm

HEAB’s… you KNOW you had me at Pizza ;) That’s all it takes! Heading to check this out now!

Miss ya lady.. hope you’re doing well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

Mandy, I miss you too. Let’s grab Mexican soon. Call me!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) January 23, 2010 at 7:08 pm

That pizza looks so good! Even better because it’s vegan! Yum!

Margie January 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Pizza…YUM! It looks really good and it has some of favorite ingredients. I would like to try it, but that means I have to prepare it and I’m a lazy cook. :)

Serena January 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm

OH LORD THIS LOOKS GOOD. *runs to Mae’s blog*

Sweet and Fit January 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

thanks for giving me another amazing blog to check out, Mae sounds awesome! I love the idea of a cheese-less pizza – is honestly not my fav part of the pizza – the crust is!

theprocessofhealing January 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I completely agree, she has the most delicious sounding recipes!!!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

That pizza sounds really tasty. I love cheeseless pizza creations :-)

Nicole January 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Love your blog! The pizza looks wonderful! Avocado and nutritional yeast….brilliant! Can’t wait to read more!

Jenn (j3nn.net) January 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I love using tortillas for pizza crust!! I use tomato paste too because it’s not as watery as sauce. The last one I made was topped with Al Fresco chicken sausage. Yours looks DELISH! Mae is a creative girl. :)

Jenn

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I love Mae’s blog too. That pizza looks divine. I love to make homemade pie’s. So much better than the pizza joints can do.

Sherry January 24, 2010 at 6:53 am

Thanks for this great pizza recommendation. I eat gluten free so it will have to be on these delicious corn tortillas (Maria and Ricardo’s) that I found recently. And I really appreciate learning about a young’un with such motivation and talent! Love supporting her, too. Thanks for your easy to read, fun blog, Heather.

Carolyn January 24, 2010 at 7:33 am

You were really channeling some creative combos here.. YUM

Those LT Factory wraps are so good crunchy..

CaSaundra January 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love finding new food blogs–there is SO much kitchen creativity online, and to think I’ve only scratched the surface–thanks for sharing one of your favs!

Heather January 24, 2010 at 10:35 am

What a creative bloggie! I can’t wait to try that out on my next pizza.

fitandfortysomething January 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

looks super good!

psychoj1 January 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love homemade pizza!

Jenna January 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Yummy!

Claire January 25, 2010 at 6:59 am

Nom! what a great way to make pizza, and the ‘cheese’ looks amazing. Thanks for doing ‘shout outs of the day’ — I heart finding new blogs, and Mae’s is so fun and inspiring! I will have to get some of that Saratoga PB shipped to Wyo!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 28, 2010 at 9:34 am

I tried a version of this last night and loved it! I am a little afraid of nutritional yeast since I had a bad experience with it one time, but I need to try it again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

So glad you liked Serena, and best of luck with the nutritional yeast. I hope it’s better the 2nd time around. :)

Amanda Y. April 7, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Hey Heather, I’m curious–why don’t you eat dairy? Is it part of the weight loss or something else? (email back if you can, I don’t remember to check back on comments!)

{ 8 trackbacks }