Blue Pancakes

by HEAB on January 27, 2010

Don’t forget the Online Bake Sale for Haiti today!!! Please click here to bid on my Maple Nut Oaties.

OK, so anyone who thinks yoga is not a good strength training workout, I would like to inform you that you are wrong. My triceps, biceps, glutes, and hamstrings are more sore from yesterday’s yoga class then they have been all month. Lindsey had me scheduled for weights today, but my muscles said Ha ha…um, No. So, I did her 45 minute HIIT workout on the stationary bike instead. It kicked my sore booty.

I had an old favorite for breakfast. 🙂

Reader Regina was so kind to send me some blue corn meal from Native Seeds/Search in Arizona, and I immediately thought pancakes. Above was my protein pancake recipe with 20 grams of the corn meal added to the batter. The toppings were the best part, because as we all know, pancakes are really just a vehicle for the toppings. Mine consisted of a big blob of grass fed butter and syrup. Thanks so much for the corn meal and other goodies Regina! I can’t wait to experiment.

Hey, did you guys know Ellen is a huge fan of the protein pancake? It was news to me. 🙂

Now, go bid, bid, bid.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 28, 2010 at 12:27 am

Love the Miz/Ellen thing- hope she gets on!

charlotte January 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I too am missing the yoga love in my life! I am so glad that to be able to work that back in now. Love your sassy face:) And the bake sale for haiti! You are full of awesome!

Rachel January 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Pancakes look delicious. I want them. Now.

theprocessofhealing January 27, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Those pancakes look SO good!

Katie January 27, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I guess I take for granted that I can buy blue cornmeal everywhere, living in Arizona. It is good stuff though; I’ve used it in corncakes (savory pancakes) that are delicious. Probably very similar to your protein pancakes. And I accidently bought the hot man’s Egg white protein powder….looks like no pancakes for me on national pancake day. Sigh.

Monica January 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Although I love lots of fun protein pancake toppings, sometimes it is wonderful just to keep it simple with a little butter (or Earth balance for me!) and syrup. I call them “minimalist pancakes”–well, ok, I don’t actually call them that. But I should!

Danielle January 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I’ve actually never had protein pancakes (gassppppp) 🙂 I guess I should try them out!
Yoga is DEF. a good strength training workout

Erica January 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Hahah loved mizfits post today! Totally cracked me up! Blue corn meal? I must find and try this- yum yum yum!

Miz January 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for the linklove (she types having emerged from under the rock where she must reside)—ID MISS THE WHOLE THING ABOUT THE BAKESALE.

off to click.

janetha January 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm

ive NEVER done yoga. i need to give it a whirl. hey pancake queen, tomorrow is national blueberry pancake day. just a heads up 🙂

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Janetha Bean! Will definitely have to celebrate since I screwed up National Peanut Butter Day. 😉

Samantha January 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

You’re walking proof that yoga can make a body lean and strong! Whenever I leave a hot class I’m almost always sore for a few days after getting into poses so deep and really working my muscles. Ohhhh loving the looks of your protein pancakes…I see more bites with ice cream in my near future!

Sarah January 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I’ve been following your blog for awhile and love all of your pancake toppings. The other day I discovered cream cheese(or tofutti), almond butter, and syrup warmed together is heaven. Just thought I’d pass along the discovery 🙂

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Sarah, That does sound heavenly. Thanks for the tip. 🙂

caronae January 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Yoga is SUCH a good strength workout when done intensely 🙂

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm

“anyone who thinks yoga is not a good strength training workout, I would like you to inform you that you are wrong”–

It’s kinda funny that I have no idea what HIIT means. I see this all the time on blogs and am totally clueless when it comes to gym lingo 🙂 Google here I come…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Averie, High Intensity Interval Training.

Abby January 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I love Ellen even more now… so cool, totally did not know she was vegan!!

Thanks for bake sale update.. Must Go BID 😉

Stephanie January 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I’m always arguing with my BF that yoga is actually strength training too! Now I can tell him even HEAB says so too! 🙂

eaternotarunner January 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Those look delicious!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Grass-fed butter… Wow, I didn’t know butter ate grass!

Of course I know what you mean but for some reason “grass-fed butter” made me giggle.

Ameena January 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm

These pancakes are so yummy looking! I can’t wait to try these!

Kelly January 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Yum…those pancakes looks awesome. I not only want those…I NEED those! 🙂

brandi January 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I’m so jealous of the blue corn meal! I see Bobby Flay use it all the time on Food Network, but I’ve never been able to find it here.

Hope you have a great rest of your day! You pancakes always look perfect.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Yup, Ellen’s a vegan! She talks about it pretty frequently…she had the “skinny bitches” on her show as guests one time, and told him how much going vegan changed her life.

Just another reason to love her! 🙂

I bid on your treats Heather, but they’re VERY popular!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Anna, Thanks for bidding!! 🙂

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

i love ellen, and i love that she loves the protein pancakes! so cool 🙂

molly @thevegandorm January 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

Ellen’s a vegan! She often has vegan chefs on the show and has talked about it a couple times. MizFit cracks me up!
And is there anything better than pancakes with syrup that make you feel good? (I’m gonna say no!)

Evan Thomas January 27, 2010 at 10:56 am

Natural food coloration is fun! Would blue corn protein pancakes with tumeric make them green? That’s an interesting thought…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

Evan, Ha ha – not sure. I’ll have to experiment. 🙂

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 27, 2010 at 10:52 am

45 minutes of HIIT!? Holy crap! I can only do 15-20, but I do 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off. I could never last 45 minutes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

Jessica, Warm up and cool down took 15 minutes. So, really only 30 minutes of HIIT. Still a killer workout.

EE January 27, 2010 at 10:26 am

Did Ellen go vegan, or did I make that up?

My hometown would appreciate your blue pancakes due to the upcoming Superbowl.

Good luck with the bake sale!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 10:29 am

EE, Is Ellen a vegan? I don’t know. Just googled it – mixed stories. Hmm, maybe she likes her protein pancakes made with flax seeds instead of eggs. 😉

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

Ah Ahh ahahha I think everyone is a fan of protein pancakes! I loved MizFit’s post, how hilarious!!!
Good luck with the bake sale! I’m so excited to see how much is raised for the cause.

Heather, would you mind if I did a protein ice-cream variation post? Let me know!! 😀

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

Mae, Go for it. I would love for you to spread the protein ice-cream love. 🙂