Make This Now

by HEAB on January 27, 2010

Two posts in one day? Yep, couldn’t wait to share this one. Another Mae inspired dish…After reading her post today, I knew I had to try adding nutritional yeast to some protein ice-cream. However, I left out the protein and whipped up a bowl of fat-cream instead. ;)

Key Lime Cheesecake Ice-Cream

Into the Vita-Mix went:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

1/2 avocado

juice from 1/2 lime (real lime…none of that concentrated stuff)

1/2 tsp vanilla

sweetener to taste (I used stevia)

1 tsp nutritional yeast

pinch of Celtic sea salt

1/4 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp guar gum

Blend until thick and creamy and then add 15 ice cubes and blend again.

Topping choices are endless, but unsweetened shredded coconut is a must! Mine received a few walnuts as well. I was in the mood for a little crunch.

I was bit nervous about adding nutritional yeast, but Mae was right. It added such a light cheesy flava…and besides, y’all know I’ll eat anything that sounds weird. Thanks for the idea Mae! Because of you, I am going to have to restock my nutritional yeast very soon. :)

Enjoy the rest of your evening my friends.

Ariffa January 27, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Hey Heather! I was curious about the saturated fat content of coconut, what gives? is it the same as saturated fat in like.. meat? or is it a healthy almond butter kinda fat?? I see you use coconut/ oil so often I thought you could help me out =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Ariffa, Yes, coconut fat is almost all saturated, but I am of the opinion that saturated fat is not a bad fat. As far as coconut fat goes, it’s mostly all medium chain fatty acids which are easy to digest as well as converted into quick energy. From what I understand, the saturated fat found in coconut is immediately utilized by the body rather than stored as fat.

Rachel January 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm

That looks amazing! Wish I had a vita-mix :(

Evan Thomas January 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I don’t think there’s anything nutritional yest doesn’t make better.

eaternotarunner January 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Your blog gives me vita-mix envy!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm

HEABs I’m so glad you like it!! :-D This looks so amazing… avocados blend up so creamy. If you freeze them and then blend them, it makes avocado gelato. Gahhh!
I love key lime! I can’t wait to try this new flavor. Do you mind if I link it back to the cheesecake protein ice-cream post?

& Eaternot a runner, I just have a regular blender and this works fine in mine. Without a vita, crush all the frozen things first, then add liquids, powders, and soft things like fruit/avo. You may have to push it down a few times but it comes together! :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Mae, Link away…and yes, I love the frozen avocado trick. However, only fresh ones on hand. Too good to freeze. :)

Anna January 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm

YURM!!! That looks amazing!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 27, 2010 at 8:37 pm

oh wow. it might be a good thing i don’t have a vita-mix…i’d likely have this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Tiffany January 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

mmmm… green ice cream! i have to go pick up some ‘cados now!

Jessica January 27, 2010 at 9:00 pm

That sounds incredible! YUM!

psychoj1 January 27, 2010 at 9:06 pm

That sounds SOOOO good!

<3 jess

jqlee January 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I neeeeeed a vita mix :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

jqlee, Mae makes her “ice-cream” in a regular blender. No Vita required. You may just have to stop and stir a few times and use LESS ice. :)

Mara @ What's for Dinner? January 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm

DROOLING… yup. Going to make that. :)

Ariffa January 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm

awesome thanks Heather =)

Jillian January 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Of course you can call me Jilly-Bean!:) Love it. Yes…how do I put this calmly.. THE FREAKING CREAMER!! Can’t seem to get it out of my life! Well, it will be for the next 11 days, and hopefully after that. Last NUT program, after the food testing, I started using Silk Soy creamer with a drip of the Coffee Mate stuff…well, that drop has turned into a whole lot more- grrr. Heavy whipping cream, that sounds magnificent! Hope you are happy and well dear one. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 28, 2010 at 12:31 am

Wow, Mae is really on a roll- or perhaps she’s simply a genius! :-)

I have been throwing nooch all over everything lately- it just gives it that little cheezy salty edge to everything. Love it.

I’ve also done the frozen avo, but usually b/c I’m going away and I can’t bear to toss an open avo into the trash. Came back and made smoothies-yay!

Looks really good heabs. I feel like a smoothie- I’ll add some nooch to it- I usually add more than what you did. either 1/2 T or 1 T

Alyson January 28, 2010 at 1:00 am

I really need to try these avocado addition smoothies!

Heather January 28, 2010 at 7:06 am

Yum that sounds good!!

Bekah January 28, 2010 at 7:12 am

FAT CREAM. hahahaha I love you.

It’s funny a half an avocado is around the same cals as 1 serving protein or so, so really its not all that different, except what it does for you I guess is different. Already missing my protein ice cream! But its snowing right now, so I guess I don’t want any anyway. Met a guy in my class from Nashville yesterday! Thought of you. :)

Veggiesmack January 28, 2010 at 7:57 am

Yum! Nooch makes everything better!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 28, 2010 at 8:21 am

I love all your “ice cream” concoctions! I have a silly question…my blender is starting to crap out on me, can I use a food processor the same way?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 8:46 am

Yes Sarah, I have made smoothies in our food processor and it works just fine. Never tried any ice-creams in it (besides banana soft-serve), but it should work.

Jean January 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Any suggestions on a substitute for xanthan gum, or am I just out of luck? X-gum is corn-based, and I can’t have it.

I think my hands are dry & cracked b/c it’s winter & I hardly ever wear gloves. Need to break out the paraffin wax melter for a home spa treatment.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

Jean, Just use the guar and leave out the xanthan, or you could try Kate’s agar agar pudding base: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/12/17/out-of-one-many/

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

Jean, P.S. I thought the same thing too about my hands, but since adding more fat, they are so much better, AND it’s colder outside.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Heather McD wrote:

> Jean, > Just use the guar and leave out the xanthan, or you could try Kate’s agar > agar pudding base: > http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/12/17/out-of-one-many/ >

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl January 28, 2010 at 11:01 am

You have me drooling, Heather! Gosh, it looks SO good!!! :-D

kkbutler January 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

Ok, this sounds AWESOME! I have to try it.

janetha January 28, 2010 at 11:44 am

mmmm i had berry protein ice cream last night and now this is making me want to try some lime flava! yum! heather. your gums have changed my protein ice cream making abilities for life. i cant thank you enoughhhhhhhhhh. MWAH!

caronae January 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

That sounds simply amazing!

Samantha January 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I WILL be making this this weekend, I knew there was a reason the avocados were calling my name yesterday at the commissary!

Amy January 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Hmm.. I’ve never thought of adding nutritional yeast to anything sweet! This sounds like an odd combination of ingredients, but I might just give it a try today since I have the ingredients on hand.

Amy January 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Well, I was skeptical, but I’m eating this right now and it’s good! I added a bit of lime zest into it as well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Amy, Lime zest…I like it. :)

Simply Life January 29, 2010 at 7:51 am

Wow that looks SO good!

jessicaconte February 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I just tried some of your ice creams – oh my gosh!!! I will never ever crave regular ice cream again. DELICIOUS!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

This makes me so happy Jessica. Aren’t avocados amazing?!?