Fat Is Our Friend

by HEAB on January 28, 2010

First off, look at the differences in my hands since I started upping my fat…

Photo 1: This was taken in December. In November, I cut way back on carbs and upped my protein. However, for the most part I was eating all lean proteins, i.e. grilled chicken and egg whites. My only source of fat was nut butter. My hands got so dry and my knuckles began to crack and bleed. By the way, I’m holding one of Pure2Raw’s delicious Mint Chocolate Chip Macaroons. Ha, I should have been eating more of those coconut filled goodies!

Photos 2 & 3: About 2 weeks ago, I gave up on the high protein thing and switched back to a diet higher in fat with moderate carbs and protein. Look at my hands as of yesterday…

Oh my gosh, so much better! Plus, my weight kept going up and up. I don’t want to get into exact numbers, but I haven’t seen my ideal weight on the scale since November. Honestly, I try not to weigh myself, but when I know I’m gaining, I can’t help wanting to monitor the numbers. Maybe some of it was muscle gain from all of my workouts with Lindsey. I don’t know, but yesterday, I was 3 pounds lighter than I was 2 weeks ago. My calories have remained about the same, usually about 1700 to 2000 a day, and the only difference is my fat intake. Instead of egg whites, I’ve been eating the eggs, instead of chicken breasts, I’ll eat bacon or grass fed finished beef. I’ve been using heavy whipping cream in my coffee and slapping butter or ghee on all my pancakes. All this to say, don’t fear the fat my friends. It is NOT your enemy. In fact, the only fats I avoid are trans fats found in packaged foods as well as most vegetable and seed oils due to their high Omega-6 content. That’s why I switched back to real butter, and it’s also the reason why CD and I use coconut oil for everything. So, no, I don’t think saturated fat is the enemy either.

Now, I’m still eating my carbs, mostly in squash form…

However, I still enjoy my oat bran, and sometimes late at night, there is nothing better than a bowl of cereal. However, I’m trying to eat more meals like my breakfast this morning…

And let’s not forget the coffee. Let me tell ya, you have not lived until you’ve had coffee with heavy whipping cream!

Now, I’ve been told by a certain someone that today is National Blueberry Pancake Day. Don’t worry, I didn’t forget. Nothing wrong with pancakes at lunch! :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 28, 2010 at 8:55 am

You can’t even imagine how much I needed to read this today. Seriously. First of all, I’m really tired of all my friends doing low-carb, low-fat, super high intensity workouts and then scowling at my 90% lean beef chili because it’s not 96% lean.
Can we email/chat about yoga later? I need some suggestions/help/encouragement…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Mara, Email, call, or text me anytime. Would love to chat yoga with you. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

that’s amazing how much better your hands look now – i never would have thought a little fat would make that big of a difference!

i love how you each kabocha all the time…if i could find it more often here, I’d probably be orange from eating it every day :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie January 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

Nothing wrong with pancakes EVER ;)

Hangry Pants January 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

Such an interesting post. I was actually just thinking about your switch this morning and how I think it’s really cool that you are really willing to learn about your personal food needs and requirements. I think a lot of people would be scared or nervous, but you go for it!

thedelishdish January 28, 2010 at 9:01 am

i couldnt have said it better myself!! i def keep an eye on trans fat, but I try to keep everything else in moderation without going crazy & eliminating anything in particular. especially good fats, and especially when they come in the form of avocados!

Heather January 28, 2010 at 9:01 am

Good for you for doing what’s right for your body and not worrying about it! Fat is so important!

JENNA January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

that is truly amazing!! so cool! I was wondering if i read right the other day when you said you put whipping cream in your coffee..i stared at your cream mustache forever with a confused gaze!? lol. do you pour it directly in your coffee or do you ‘whip it’? sounds yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 9:03 am

Jenna, I whip it with a milk frother: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/picture-13.png. I like to play barista. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love me some fat. I see a huge difference in my hair and skin when I have it in my diet, too.

Heather January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

I agree 110% about fats being our friend :)
Since becoming vegan it’s so hard to get enough in. But, I think if I stick to chocolate avocado pudding, I’ll be juuuuuuuuuust fine! LOL!

eaternotarunner January 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

Great post, I wish people would stop being so afraid of fat. A little butter makes everything better!

Ameena January 28, 2010 at 9:05 am

I totally agree that fat is our friend…my hair and skin have improved drastically since I started eating more flaxseed and olive oils and avocadoes.

fartygirl January 28, 2010 at 9:12 am

Dude I WISH I could digest fat like you… it’s so yummy! Alas, my IBS seems to be hyper-sensitive to fats. I can eat a little bit at every meal… but no way could I ever do eggs plus an avo… as delicious as it looks! <3

Greenbean January 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

That breakfast is perfection
I need to go avocado shopping!!!

Anna January 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

Wow– the difference in your hands is amazing!!! Very cool.

Laura January 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

Heather, have you read about Weston Price and all of his research?? It is quite comprehensive but I think you would really enjoy reading about him. If you haven’t already, be sure to google him!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

Laura, I’ve read excerpts from Weston Price’s research. Interesting stuff!

Brandi January 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

yay for fats! now I’m sad I have no avocado in the house :) You know i love eggs! Egg whites are okay, but the yolks are my favorite part.

Joanne January 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

What a great post! Hell yeah for REAL food!

Tiffany January 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

fats are awesome! i’m still trying to get more into my diet, as i tend to eat a lot of protein. i haven’t really noticed a difference in my skin either way, but i know i need a balanced diet!

Emily GG January 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

The fats thing is so true! I had been eating a really really low fat diet and I was suffering from dry skin, and not just on my hands. Then I started eating nut butter and avocado’s because of your blog and not only have I lost the last few pounds but more importantly my skin is so much healthier! Thank you!

eatmoretuna January 28, 2010 at 9:34 am

Hey Heather-can you suggest a good yoga dvd for beginners? I’m not ready to go to a class and let strangers see me-in all my glory-in a downward dog. Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

Eatmoretuna,

For DVD’s, I really like Polly’s DVD, and I have some of the Sarah Ivanhoe DVD’s as well. They are all great. I also like finding free yoga online:

– Polly has some great online videos perfect for beginners. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you. – Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts! – I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga -sequence/. – Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://www.yogatothepeople.com/tryOnlineClass.shtml – You can try tons of free 20 minute classes over at http://www.yogadownload.com, one of my favorite yoga websites. Love all their classes, especially the new videos.

All that being said, I really recommend taking a few beginner’s classes at a local studio if you have access to one. Learning proper form in the beginning is so crucial, and it’s hard to know if you have correct alignment when learning yoga on your own.

Eliza January 28, 2010 at 9:40 am

hey heather :)
i agree fat is nothing to be feared! i used to fear fat, and saturated fat, now fat is my friend ;) and i get most if not all of my fat daily from nuts/nut butters and coconut!
and blueberry pancakes for lunch sounds great to me!

xx
Eliza

Maggie January 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

Heather!!! We have to chat again so I can hear all about what’s going on with YOU. It is so strange how bodies can react to the different foods we eat. I can definitely maintain my weight while eating veggies + fats, but the last 2 months or so were super carb and protein heavy (not to mention not homecooked) and it just makes me feel icky (was probably eating a little bit more calorie-wise, too, but not a significant amount – it doesn’t match up to the weight I’ve gained). I like the fat diet. It keeps me thin, hehe.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

Me too Maggie. Me too. Let’s chat soon!

Kelly January 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

Awesome post! i love that! I find that with 99% of my clients (and especially women) they are SO scared to eat fat! I am tried to explain over and over the benefits of HEALTHY fats and how they can actually improve your skin, hair, and weight! I love that you are actually visually showing people what healthy fats can do!! Awesome! :)

Evan Thomas January 28, 2010 at 9:48 am

Amen to this! Saturated fat revival? I still like turning to nut and seed oils for when I need a liquid fat, but I think I’ve found a good rule for myself: If I won’t eat the nut or seed, I shouldn’t eat the oil.

Veggiesmack January 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

When I go too low with the fats, my hair totally suffers. I’m still trying to figure out the right balance, though.

Margie January 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

I think everything in moderation is fine. On the subject of saturated fat, I don’t think people should be afraid of it. Our ancestors have been eating fats for decades. I looked at a study recently about saturated fats, because I was thinking of adding more in. Fats are beneficial to women to help control hormonal issues. That’s why there is recorded evidence that vegan/vegetarian pregnant women crave meat during their pregnancy. There must be a reason the body craves the saturated fats.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

Margie, I concur. :)

Mona January 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

Haha love the before and after photos of your hands! Fats are amazing- especially avocado and nut butter YAY

Question, are you drinking heavy cream straight up? Because the cup of cream looks exactly like a cup of cream, not a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

have a good day!
-Mona

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

Mona, No, I whip about 1 to 2 TBSP of cream with my milk frother and then use it to top my coffee. I love foam. http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B0002KZUNK

kettlebelllove January 28, 2010 at 10:02 am

The fat phobia in this country drives me nuts. I love fat, and by today’s standards I eat a lot of it. I couldn’t agree more that as long as the fat you’re eating is natural fat (i.e. not vegetable oil or hydrogenated garbage) it’s good for you. I notice a huge difference in my skin and hair when I don’t eat enough fat.

Coconut oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, and nut butters. I couldn’t live without any of them.

Katie January 28, 2010 at 10:02 am

Yum, fat. I ate 2 full jars of nut butters in the last week (no joke). I still really need to try that coconut oil…is it really coconutty? I don’t like the taste of coconuts at all, so I have been a little hesitant to shell out for it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

Katie, Yeah, if you don’t like coconut, I wouldn’t recommend the coconut butter. However, if you do decide to try it and don’t like it, I’d be glad to help you out with any leftovers. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

I know that you and Protein Goddes (Allie) love your fats and you are better men for it (uh, you know what I mean). I am still scurrrrred (I stole that from Low) and while I have more fat in my diet than before, it’s still doled out in very small doses. Mostly nut butters, avo, low fat cheese and a teeny bit of oil. One day perhaps I’ll try a different approach. I am glad that you know what works for you though heabie.

N.D. January 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

thanks for posting – good to know! I don’t know that I’ve ever limited fat… especially with the nut butters, cheese, and I Love butter! One day when I calculated it was way high around 90g. What is your fat intake like on the 1700-2000 calories?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

N.D. Usually anywhere from 70 to 90 grams. Edited to Add: OK, just tracked today’s and I’m already at about 100. Haven’t even had dinner yet. So, first estimation was too low.

Jenny R. January 28, 2010 at 10:48 am

you’re so right heather…a lot of people actually end up losing some weight when they add fat to the diet. A lot of it is used for fuel – MCT’s. Your b-fast looks amazing. You know what’s also good…making egg salad (if you like egg salad…i hate all mayo so i skip out on the mayo) and putting it inside the avacado hole. So much fun. Have a great day :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 11:10 am

Jenny R. I’ve made egg salad with avocado – thanks for the reminder. It’s also really good made with hummus.

prettyladycmu January 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

Yay for good fats! Glad you’re feeling better and your skin isn’t quite to dry. Nothing is worse than perpectually dry or cracked skin all winter :(

Mama Pea January 28, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m trying to tell myself that it’s colder and less humid here, so that’s why my hands look about 40 years older than yours. Of course, I am in one of the wettest places in the United States, so that’s no excuse. Other than nut butter, though, I’m just not a big fan of the flavor of most fats :( I can’t down an avocado unless it’s in guac or chocomole (choc?).

Have a good day, HEF ;)

Megan January 28, 2010 at 11:03 am

Heather,
How are you feeling now that you are consuming some dairy? I have problems with dairy products and I have read in previous posts that you also have problems. Now that you are consuming some that are high in fat I am wondering if you are noticing any problems you have had with others that are not so high in fat?

Heather Eats Almond Butters January 28, 2010 at 11:08 am

Megan, My body doesn’t like lactose or whey and casein, the proteins found in dairy. My body usually fights back with some sort of infection. So far with the butter and cream, I have had no problems.

Cindy January 28, 2010 at 11:08 am

love love LOVE this! I am in the same exact place as you…love my veggies, less LESS sugar, cutting back on protien again and high fats..butter coconut oil, avo’s and cream.

I zip some cream in my magic bullet for a few seconds with vanilla and have the best coffee creamer EVER. I don’t even add sweetener most days.

LOVE IT! THANKS for the inspiration! (as alwasy)

Erin January 28, 2010 at 11:15 am

hey heather… i know you’ve talked about trying to go primal before but it didn’t work for you. i’ve been reading mark’s daily apple pretty regularly and it seems like you’re giving it a go again, with the exception of maintaining a higher carb intake than he recommends.

i’m always so curious about that diet… i already eat a lot of fat but everytime i try to give up carbs i just binge on them. i’m such a carb/sugar addict and i can’t take it anymore! any advice on nixing the sugar? it seriously feels like i am addicted to a dangerous drug and i can’t get enough sometimes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 11:20 am

Erin, I have tried the primal thing before, but I kept focusing on protein protein protein, and for me, I need to focus on fat. Dark meat instead of white meat, egg yolks instead of whites, etc. Excess protein will only be converted to glucose…trust me, I need no more glucose. Fat will never be converted to glucose, and I think that’s why my body does so much better on a high fat diet.

As far as the sugar goes, you just have to be stubborn. I’ve gone cold turkey in the past. You get used to saying “no thanks”, and the cravings really will subside. I promise. That being said, I still find ways to get in my sweets: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/11/whats-a-chocolate-lover-to-do/. My go to “desserts” are baked squash, baked sweet potatoes, dark chocolate, avocado pudding, and oat bran.

Erin January 28, 2010 at 11:18 am

also, if it’s any condolence, this summer i really upped my protein, focused on yoga and strength training, less on cardio, and gained like three or four pounds. i really do think it was muscle, however. the scale can really mess with your mind! i haven’t been my ideal weight in 2 years, but i remind myself that i have way more muscle than i ever did.

Erica January 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

Great post. I need to incorporate a few more fats into my diet. It IS amazing the difference it makes in your skin and hair

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

Heather, I really enjoy reading about all your experiments with different eating styles. I think it is great that you keep searching and trying to find what works best for you. I admire that!

charlotte January 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Ohmygoodness! I have just come to this exact same dietary conclusion myself ! Like you for january I tried to go higher protein lower carb thinking it would help me lose weight and it has had the exact opposite efffect. Back to my healthy grains and yummy coconut oil!! I swear we are two metabolic peas in a pod.

Meghan Telpner January 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

Fat sure is our friend- so is keeping the eggs in tact (yolk please!).

Anna January 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

Fat is our friend indeed! I was reading an article written by a dietician the other day and she was talking about weightloss and general health… her tip? “Don’t put nut butter on your toast/whatever, use jam. Nut butter is too fatty. Jam is fewer calories!” ughghg.

I wanted to bang my head against the table. Thank god for rational voices like yours!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Anna, That makes me really sad. I would NEVER recommend choosing sugar over fat. NEVER.

Hallie January 28, 2010 at 12:01 pm

This was really interesting! I thought I got enough fat in my diet, but my hands look cracked and dry like your “before” picture, to the point it’s sometimes painful. And I live in Southern CA…not exactly frigid temps! Now I’m wondering if I should up my fat intake a bit and see if that helps.

adrienmelaine January 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

It’s nice that pancakes get several days throughout the year- one for regular, one for blueberry, there must be one for chocolate or banana coming up… there must be!

Lisa January 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Hi Heather! I luv your site and have visited it regularly for about six months. I think you give great advice but remember that not everyone can eat fat like you and not gain weight. I really appreciated your post (I think it was around Christmas) regarding how individual people’s bodies are and how our diet’s need to reflect that. For instance, If I ate eggs and avocado for breakfast I would have a bad breakout by nightfall. I just can’t handle that much fat without problems. I think it is worth noting because cholesterol levels are *still* an important indicator of heart health and such high fat intake is not recommended for most people. Are you able to maintain a healthy cholesterol level (research from the Framingham Heart Study as well as work by doctors Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyne and John McDougall suggest that a blood cholesterol level of no higher than 150 mg/DL is safest) at your current fat intake? (I suspect the answer is *yes* because it seems to have beneficial effects for you)–just curious!
Cheers,
Lisa M.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Lisa, Thanks for the input, and yes, this is what works for me. Since I work for a doctor, I’m always having random blood work done just to check my levels. The ONLY thing that happened when I upped my animal fat intake was the my good cholesterol numbers went UP. I’ve done the Dean Ornish thing, and I was unhappy, always hungry, and my hair look I’d stuck my finger in an electrical socket. Never again.

nicolegodiva January 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Yes, fats are good for you !!! TRULY!! I have been eating 2 eggs and a piece of millet bread topped with a bit of avocado, sea salt and a drizzle of Udo’s oils… PERFECTION! I have been working out a ton so sometimes I am still hungry, but I will get used to it…..

It’s funny how similar our breakfasts are though!

Liesl January 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I love how our bodies are all so different! Your are lucky you can eat lots of healthy fats and feel great. When I have a high fat day, even if it is healthy fats, nut butters, higher fat meat, or dairy I can totally tell and I feel heavy and gross. My body loves me lots of lean protein, fish and cottage cheese and carbies from oats and fruit. Our world would be so boring if we were all the same.

melissa @ the delicate place January 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

a-to the men. 50% of my diet is fat which means i eat anywhere from 50-100g of the good stuff a day. i’ve never been leaner or felt better!

candicemccoy January 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I always used to be scared of fat…until recently. I’ve realized how much I need healthy fats in my diet. They keep me satisfied, and I truly believe I lose weight more consistently and comfortable when I’m eating a healthy dose of avocado, nut butters, nuts and olive oil (my favorites!). Thanks for doing posts like this to help people realize that fats (at least some) are a healthy and necessary part of our diets, regardless of who we are!

shannon January 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Girlie, I am loving your fat love. I made a big fat smoothie this morning and thought of you:

1.5 cups homemade raw yogurt (whole of course)
2 egg yolks from pastured chickens
1/4 cup blueberries
ice
2.5 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 T milled flax
xanthan gum
vanilla & almond extracts
stevia
Giant spoonful of peanut butter

Yum. Saturated fat makes such a positive difference in the diet. I too am losing weight while upping my fat and am finally, finally feeling well and energized.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Shannon, I would like to swim in your smoothie. :)

Holly January 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

ALL HAIL FAT! i shudder to think what my life was like without coconut oil. i use those medim chain triglycerides for everythang, and it makes everythang taste sooooooooooo good!

all hail fat! and greek boobies! and supple hands!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Holly, You’re hilarious. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Wow, so the proof is in the (key lime) pudding, eh? I hate when my hands crack open in the winter. I have a nasty spot on my thumb right now, which is taking forever to heal. Not because I avoid fat though! Not at all. However, when I do eat low fat meals (usually unintentionally), I do notice how they don’t hold me for as long as foods I make with good fats included.

I have never been a nighttime snacker, but unfortunately I too have recently discovered the joy of a late-night bowl of cereal. Probably because I haven’t had enough fat for dinner!

Abby January 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Great post.. when I first went vegan I was deficient in everything (esp fat) and my hair/nails/skin looked like crap. Now, I seek fat out!!

Lara January 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Do you think maybe you actually ate more calories when doing higher protein because you weren’t as satisfied therefore took extra bites/licks/tastes here and there or what not?

With calories being exactly the same, one would theoretically lose more (or more easily maintain) eating higher protein than fat because protein has a higher thermogenic effect.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Lara, Nope, I tracked random days. In fact, most of my high fat days seem to be on the higher end of my calorie spectrum.

janetha January 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

my skin is ALWAYS dry~ i chalk it up to living in the desert but never thought about fat playing a role. thanks for the food for thought! and pancakes are acceptable 24/7. YUM! i had some this morning!

Mandiee January 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

i can totally vouch for the dry hands thing. living way north does have it’s downsides. everyday i make sure to visit my almond butter jar to fix my hand problem. there can’t possibly be a better way than enjoying the yummyness AND getting soft hands :) . bonus!
i was wondering about your view on omega fatty acids. why do you avoid them? personally i love up the flax seed and don’t get much saturated fat (i guess that’s mostly from being vegan, but still). any insight?
have a lovely day!xox

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Mandiee, Oils made from from vegetables and seeds, i.e. grapeseed, canola, olive oil, etc. are all high in Omega 6′s which most of us get way too much of on a daily basis. I try and focus on getting Omega 3′s which are found in fatty fish, eggs, etc. Meat from grain fed animals is usually chock full of Omega 6′s, but grass fed meats have a more optimal omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. Our ancestors used to only eat grass fed meats, but now farmers like to fatten up their stock with grains, depleting the Omega 3 content of the meat.

Now as far as vegetarian sources of Omega 3′s go, there are walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, etc. I’ve read conflicting info. on whether or not the body can utilize plant sources of Omega 3′s, and convert the ALA to the EPA and DHA we need.

Here is an interesting post on fats and oils. Interesting read: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/22/fats-and-oils.html

KL January 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I FINALLY tried Kobocha — it is YUMMMYYY–THANK YOU! I actaully finsihed off 1+. I did one roasted and one slow cooked. Must admit I like the roasted waaayyyy better. The slow cooked way kind of dried it out. So I tried to puree it–guess what — i KILLED MY VITA-MIX!!!!! OUCHIE!!! I hope (and Pray) that they will be able to fix it. IT IS A WAY TOOOO EXPENSIVE TOY!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm

KL, I’ve burned the motor out on my Vita-Mix and cracked the container and the Vita-Mix people are always quick to fix everything. Did you call their 1-800 number? Is your blender still under warranty? Hope so!

I always puree my kabocha in the food processor. Too hard to dig it out of the Vita.

So happy to hear your enjoyed your first squash…or two. ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm

That’s a crazy difference in your hands! It’s great that you can find a way of eating that works so WELL with your body.

tryingtoheal January 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm

ya know, i never put two and two together with the dry skin and fat…i seriously need to step away from fear of fat and try it because i really think it will help me and trying to stay feeling full all the time…since i think i rely more on carbs/protein than anything!

Ashlei January 28, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Blueberry pancakes are the best <3

And I adore my fats too – I'm like you: won't gain with fats, but doing mainly protein or carbs (even fruits) will cause me to gain. Works for me – I love coconut/coconut oil/avocados/nut butters :)

Carolyn January 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm

mashing kabocha… I just take it out of the skin (I know you leave the skin on Heather) after it’s roasted and smash it all together with a potato smasher thing… multiple Z shaped thing on a handle.. I do have to add water sometimes to get it back to a puree…If you do it enough you can forgo the Vita mix and the food processor… And work out your right arm at the same time!

I wonder if a potato ricer would work??? Might make for a fun texture…

Kristy January 28, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I excitedly tried this recipe as I finally got my ‘gums’ yesterday! It was so cool to watch it thicken! Not to mention that it was tasty.

For people who think the gums are too expensive, check this out:
On Amazon.com, there is a seller called Barry Farms that makes all types of flours, etc., and I bought 4 oz. of xantham gum and 8 oz. of guar gum from them for $13!! That includes the shipping (which was priority mail and came very fast). I HIGHLY recommend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Kristy, So happy to hear you are loving the gums, and thanks for the Barry Farms tip!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Very interesting! I slather it on mostly on the outside…I need to up my fats on the inside now!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 28, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Holy comment mania. Wow girl nothing to add to what you said or anything anyone else said so I’ll say something different: CUTE DISHES!
Love the brown,they really make the green salad POP and the avo and white/yellow of the egg looks stellar, too. I try to see art in my food and your pics are always among the best in the ‘sphere. Both in terms of artistry and clarity. I’m no art snob, just my little musings :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Ha ha – thanks Averie. Our dishes are from Target. I love them!

Pure2Raw twins January 28, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Totally agree with you girl 100%! We have being increasing our fat as well for a while now and loving it. Mostly coconut oil base fat, with a few avocados, hemp seeds, and very very little olive oil. Love what you are doing for your body and how you eat grass feed beef :) I tell people if you eat meat please be either local or grass fed! Just a thought, if you have the availability to eat grass feed goat meat, it is one of the best types of meat in my vegan opinion :)

Yes macaroons full of healthy fats, we eat them all the time! ;) Michelle and I had lost weight too when we increased our fats. Still have a long journey of figuring our body out with hormones and all but fats are definitely a keeper for us!! Keep up the great work girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Lori, Goat meat, huh? I think the farm we buy our beef from sells goat. I’ll look into it.

Gracie January 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I’m 100% with you.
Lately my energy has been lacking and my weight has been rising. I started to look back at what I’ve been eating and it’s mostly low fat, high carb. Back in the summer I was doing more of a high fat low(ish) carb “diet,” and I was so much happier and energized. My weight seemed to be much more stable as well. I think I’m going to try to get back to that. In fact, I’m planning on grabbing my very own copy of Taube’s GC/BC tomorrow =) It’s not that I’m against high carb diets, I just think that everyone’s body reacts to certain nutrients *differently,* ya know?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Gracie, Believe me, I know. :)

The Fit Collegiate January 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Ahhh great post! I can’t imagine my life without almond butter for my oatmeal, avocadoes in my sandwiches, or olive oil vinaigrette dressed on my salads! Healthy fats are our friend! And plus, they are so much more satiating than low-fat foods.

Mimi Honeycutt January 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm

THANK YOU! I hate the bad rap that saturated fats get. There’s only one kind of saturated fat that seems to contribute to adverse health effects (beyond just mega overconsuming saturated fats in general), but saturated fats are dang fine, especially the ones in coconut oil.

I’ve been eating a lot more nuts and nut butters lately. I too have seen improvements in my skin.

Janice @ The Fitness Cheerleader January 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Arrrgh – my hands look like picture #1. I started a new lower fat diet 3 weeks ago… Coincidence? Hmmm…

Fats are very important – we often forget thta we need fat in our diets to digest fat soluble vitamins and those vitamins are usually found in higher fat foods – like animal meats.

Bekah January 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

WHENEVER I feel a hunger pang… literally… I dip a spoon in the nut butter jar. No joke. :) And I took your advice Heather- my top drawer is dedicated to my nut butters.. unrefrigerated.. tahini can, dark chocolate dreams, mighty maple, woodstock farms almond butter, arrowhead mills peanut butter. :) thought it would make you proud!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 7:30 am

Bekah, I want to raid your top drawer. So glad the nut butters ranked above the panties. ;)

Reigne January 29, 2010 at 12:38 am

That’s interesting! I used to have a bad skin problem on my hands, where my skin would become red, irritated, very dry, and would crack. It’s gone now, and I think it’s because of my higher fat content. Oh, and I’m totally with Bekah on the spoon in the nut butter jar thing. What would I do without my fats?

Thanks Heather for commenting on my blog. And yes, you were number five. :D :D :D (I’m ecstatic.)

lola January 29, 2010 at 1:39 am

Hey Heather!
I’m really curious about this high fat thing…have you had any acne problems?how do you know you ar enot consuming too many calories with this new high fat if you dont track?
I’m glad this is going great for you, but i’d be scared shitless to try it xD i’ve been brainwashed by Dean Ornish, McDougall and Happy Herbivore! haha :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 7:38 am

Lola, I used to breakout when I was a teenager, but ever since I’ve cleaned up my diet, my face has been clear for the most part. I pick random days to track my calories just to keep myself in check. So, I usually have a pretty good idea of my intake. Besides, foods that are higher in fat are quite filling and you don’t need to eat as much.

Miz January 29, 2010 at 5:22 am

BEST ILLUSTRATION EVER Heather.

Entirely.

My hands nails hair—love the good fat.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) January 29, 2010 at 5:44 am

I agree, fats are fantastic. They have so many health benefits, and not to mention they taste awesome!!

Jenn

eatmovelove January 29, 2010 at 6:45 am

Interesting how you are switching it up all the time in terms of “playing around” with your eating…I think bottom line it shows that nothing is “Right” – because what you believe or follow one minute changes. That said, I think it’s best just to not be restrictive with anything – it can lead to more body chemistry troubles than you know…I eat ALOT of nut butters, nuts and stuff like that though – cheese, milks…etc…do you just throw “caution to the wind?” !!! ;) or do you worry about too much…and love me some beef , but with carbs…;)…but i eat too much way too much sugar and cookies every night too – you would judge me…so I wont’ go there…

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 7:36 am

Eatmovelove, I do experiment with my eats a lot, but I usually always end up back where I started…a diet higher in fat. It works for me. Don’t know why I keep trying other things.

As far as the sugar goes, I’d never judge anyone as I know my diet is far from perfect.

marla January 29, 2010 at 6:57 am

I couldn’t agree more about the Fat thing. I have that in the pipeline to write about as well. Healthy fats have changed my life! I feel so much more satisfied and not deprived. Ghee is also a staple and I have just started on the coconut oil thing. Have you tried that Artisana Raw Coconut butter…..Oh my I could spread it on absolutely everything! Your hands do look great, which makes me think that is why my hands have not cracked open this winter….the last few winters I had so much less fat in my diet and they cracked like crazy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 7:31 am

Marla, Artisana’s raw coconut butter is one of my most favorite things on earth. However, we can’t get buy it here in Nashville, and I am rationing out the only jar I have sent to me by another blogger.

EE January 29, 2010 at 7:58 am

Oh no, I missed a national pancake day? A tragedy!

I’m glad you are happily back to the land of fat and beautiful skin.

Christine @ hot mama health January 29, 2010 at 8:38 am

I like the hand demo…it’s so interesting what you notice when you are in tune with your body and the way it reacts to food you eat. For me, I notice a difference in my finger nails!
I am an avid fan of getting your good fats…and avoiding excess Omega-6 is the way to go…they are pretty much rampant in our food supply. Plus you want to make sure you are eating a healthy proportion of Omega-6 to Omega-3 (like 2:1).
I am not sure if anyone wrote this but Coconut oil is a great fat! It might be pretty fatty and high in saturated fat, but it has a high smoking point so it’s great for cooking/sauteeing AND it is more readily put to use in the body…so it is not sitting around going right to fat storage. Oh…and it makes a great natural moisterizer for your skin…esp on the cold winter days!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 8:41 am

Christine, Yes, I love coconut oil. It’s the only oil we use. I used to use it as my daily lotion…but it started staining my clothes. :(

Nick January 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

But..what about the almond butter???

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 8:46 am

Nick, Never fear, it’s still there. Almond butter will ALWAYS be a staple in my life. ALWAYS.

Jenna January 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

Healthy fats are our friends :)

Tiffany P. January 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

I try to tell people all the time that if you have dry skin you should increase your fat intake. NOBODY believes me ever! Haha

“Many practitioners suggest that the solution is to drink more water—usually eight glasses per day of water is suggested. Unfortunately, this doesn’t help much as you may already have learned. The reason drinking a lot of water doesn’t work very well is because the water in our cells is actually derived from the metabolism of fats. (The water we drink mostly goes into the blood stream and then out via the kidneys.) It follows, therefore, that when the skin is dry, it means there is a relative imbalance or deficiency of fats, especially compared to the levels of carbohydrates in the diet. I find confirmation of this in my practice in that most of my patients who suffer from dry skin are thin and have been eating a lowfat diet. They are also often hypoglycemic and crave sugar. Thus they are eating a diet that is high in carbohydrates but deficient in good quality fat. By changing the ratio, so that more calories come from fats than carbohydrates, the body produced more water for the cells. In addition, the body will now have more fatty acids available for our oil-producing glands, which are our natural moisturizers. Good fats include butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil and small amounts of flax oil”

brittany January 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

Fat has always been my friend…its almost my BEST friend!

Theresa January 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

Hi Heather! Your experiment with increasing your fat intake is really interesting. I recently have been doing the same thing to see if eating a diet high in yummy/healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, avocados and extra virgin coconut oil will help my eczema (aka my “frankenskin”), plus I was curious if all the fat will cause me to gain weight. I haven’t gained any weight (score!) and my skin condition has improved (amen!), but I’m a little worried about the high saturated fat levels I’m consuming (especially w/the coconut oil). We have always been told that saturated fat is the enemy and somehow that is ingrained in my head. You mentioned you stay away from “vegetable and seed oils due to their high Omega-6 content”. Can you explain why? I thought flax seed and grape seed oils were good oils. Also, is Omega-6 a good or bad thing? As you can see, this is all new to me. Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

Theresa, Read this post: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/22/fats-and-oils.html. This guy is a more extreme than me, but he’s smart and he’s done the research.

DouglasH January 29, 2010 at 11:03 am

Heather,

I do want to correct one thing. Grass Fed Cattle are not High in Omega 3′s

Was trying to find the link on the research. but to get the equivalent amount of omega 3′s that you get from wild salmon is somthing like 2 lb’s compared to 8 ounces.

That said. Grass Finished cattle have a natural balance of omega 6 to omega 3. Is lower in satuarated fat naturally, have higher concentrations of CLA (A Transfat that is good for you)

Omega 6′s are not nec bad for you either. the issue is that most of the available omega 6 is rancid and promotes inflammation.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the info. DouglasH!

DouglasH January 29, 2010 at 11:18 am

I guess I should add, Compared to Grain Finished Beef. Grass Finished Beef does have a Significant amount of Omega 3. :)

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm

DouglasH, Yes, I should have been more clear on that as well as that is what my comment intended.

eatmovelove January 29, 2010 at 11:32 am

Heather, I apologize so much if my comments came off as passive-aggressive – I checked what I wrote – and I guess I can see how they can be taken that way? BUT I DO NOT MEAN TO BE NOR WILL I EVER BE AGAIN. It breaks my heart that you would think otherwise. I respect you and what you’ve done and your successes. You are smart and strong. I think I have my own insecurities and I have had comments judging me harshly on my patterns so it is a sensitive area. And I KNOW you would never ever judge me – I should haven’t worded it that way or put a smiley after if…my deepest sincerest apologies. That’s all I can say…

Kate January 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm

i have such dry hands and always attributed it to the mn weather. i never thought about diet. i am going experiement too and see what happens. my hands thank you!

Abbey January 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Please tell me what is the deliciousness in the photo with the squash? Some sort of salad? I must have it! Please divulge!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Abbey, It’s a bunch of veggies stir-fried with 1 slice of bacon and covered in tahini. 100% deliciousness. :)

Susan January 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Funny, I got a nasty nosebleed last night and thought to myself “I need more fat than just nut butter in my life.” You don’t even want to see my dry skin… I’ve always thought that oils and avocadoes were the only other ways of getting fat, but I like your butter method. Butter seems to sit okay in my belly. And I’m already on the whole egg train :) Thanks for the gentle reminder friend!

DiningAndDishing January 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm

My hands are looking very rough right now! I keep adding more and more lotion but I never considered my diet may help. Eye opening post Heather!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

PS, do you think my cheese steak and cookie lunch will help? hehehe.

Elechdub January 29, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hey Heather, this is kind of a silly question, but one I’ve been meaning to ask for a while. How long did it take before you started seeing yoga affecting your muscles the way weight lifting does? I’ve always seen yoga as more of a “stress relief” thing rather than a workout. And I’m struggling to see yoga as strength training, but I still want to start a regular yoga practice. I just have a hard time justifying spending the time and money on downward dogs when I could just go pick up a set of dumbbells, know what I mean?

Incidentally, I just started a 2-week yoga challenge (1 class every day) to get me to a happy place. I’m hoping my time away from the gym won’t lead to muscle loss!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Elechdub, Not a silly question at all. Did you ever see this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/24/confessions-of-a-former-runner/. I noticed major results after just a few weeks of consistent yoga. If you’re practicing Ashtanga or any type of “power” yoga, trust me, you will not lose any muscle. :)

Elechdub January 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

So far I’ve been a Vinyasa girl. I’ve never tried Ashtanga. Maybe now’s a good time to experiment. Thanks, Heather! I’m hoping 3 times a week of yoga will do the trick and that eventually I can give the cardio a break. Fingers crossed!

Christine January 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Just came across your blog- love it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Thanks Christine. Glad you found me. :)

Michal January 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Yum yum! There is never a wrong time for some pancake lovin :)

theprocessofhealing January 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Such a good point! I used to be terrified of fats.. think nut butters = evil. Oh how things have changed.. thank goodness!!! And that’s crazy how much of a difference your skin is now!

Lindsay January 29, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I love cooking with coconut butter and GHEE> good fat that just melts in your mouth and is GOOD for you!!

DouglasH January 30, 2010 at 7:53 am

interesting that the we are talking coconut butter, And those that don’t like the flavor. There is a way to get the goodness and get rid of most of the flavor.

I know from past convo’s that Heab visits that site on occasion.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Douglas, Just found this comment in my spam folder. Thanks for the link!

Jane January 30, 2010 at 11:32 am

Started putting heavy whipping cream in my coffee around the holidays when we had some leftover in the fridge and you are absolutely right – WHAT a difference. Having coffee is such a treat now! And 2TBS has the same calories as the amount of 1% milk I was putting before, but the taste and the mouth feel is sooooooo much better.

Lindsay January 31, 2010 at 11:33 am

Heather, your blog is one I always keep up with. This post just spoke to me, because I’ve always been a big pro on eating fats, but sometimes I let myself be influenced by what other people are eating and what works for them instead of just focusing on knowing what works for me. This post made me remember to do what works for me. And like you, fat is for me :-)
Thanks for being so awesome! haha

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for reading Lindsay. Now go eat an avocado. :)

Lindsay January 31, 2010 at 6:27 pm

That is by far the best response to a comment I have ever received :-)
Did I tell you yet that you are awesome?! haha thanks Heather.

Chandra February 1, 2010 at 9:12 am

I really like today’s post. I was just in a discussion with my boss about coconut oil last week. I eat eat everyday. He never eats it because of the high fat content. I on the hand feel it’s fine!!

I also want to know how you make your mixed veggies I always see. They always look delicious!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 9:29 am

Chandra, Lately, I’ve been stir-frying all my veggies with a slice of bacon or 1 TBSP ghee or coconut oil. I usually let the onion, bell pepper, and Brussels cook for a few minutes and then add in sliced mushrooms. After everything is almost done, I’ll add in a few handfuls of spinach and continue cooking until wilted. That pictures of veggies has a drizzle of tahini on top. Was so good!

Chandra February 1, 2010 at 11:32 am

Well, I printed that out and will be making it tonight!! I have nearly everything just waiting to be made…Thanks!!

heather February 1, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I love this post. I want to introduce more fats into my diet, but I have to be honest and say that fat TERRIFIES me. I only get maybe 10-20 grams a day, and at my worst less than 10 a day. Fat= weight gain to me. Reading your blog is helping me to see how important it is for me to eat more fat!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 7:09 am

Heather, I’m losing weight on 100+ fat grams a day. DON”T BE SCARED!

Chandra February 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

HEAB
I made the veggies last night and variations of this will now be a staple at our house!!

Heather,
I eat fats everyday (after reading this and doing more poking around) and I’m not going to stop. I don’t gain any weight and only exercise moderately…mostly strength training I can do at the office. I maintain a healthy weight. Once I took it upon myself to get healthy I dropped 15 lbs (all I needed to lose) just by cutting out refined foods and eating plenty of veggies, fruits & meats and have maintained that weight. So don’t be afraid and keep eating more fat!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 9:04 am

Chandra, Yes, fats are so good for us. No fear here. :) So glad you liked the veggies! Love, Heather

Jenny July 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What a difference that week with fat made in your hands! I wonder if my fat intake isn’t high enough… my hands are dry and crack constantly! I can’t wait to try upping the fat and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the idea. Kudos.
-Jenny
Kitchen Scales

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Jenny, Hope it helps. Whenever I notice my skin drying out, I up my fat. Makes a world of difference!

G March 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I have been trying to include all sorts in my diet lately has have been underweight,my bmi is well under the normal range. but not sure what works? which foods can i eat to up the fat intake? and what foods should i eat less off with protein in them. i am looking to try the higher fat diet. i also have very bad ezcema problems, and dry hair.

HEAB March 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hi G,
Plenty of fat-filled foods to choose from. If you’d like less protein/more fat, I suggest coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut butter, whole eggs, avocados, beef, lamb, dark chicken, full fat dairy (butter, ghee, heavy cream, full fat cream cheese, whole milk yogurt), bacon, & salmon. I know there are other options, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Is your eczema triggered by food allergies? If so, eggs might be a bad idea. Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

G March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for replying so quick.
thats a good list to get me started. i have been i think over-eating on my protein this week and it has left me feeling quite heavy, slugish.

i am not sure of any allergies i have, i have cut out wheat from my diet and found the itchiness i got with the ezcema has disspeared. i have just have the extreme dryness, flakes, skin peeling, cuts from my ezcema.

i am also just waiting for my dietician appointment, as i need to gain weight, which i am finding an extreme struggle, and have also lost my periods. just trying to work with which foods will help me out, this week has been a mix of everything, fats , protein but protein seems to be getting higher at all times, i have evn been including quite alot of carbs (the good cabrs), i think my body is just having a meltdown with food overload and too many different things in one go.

am not sure its liking the richness/nutrients of all the food it has been deprived of

Christina July 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Can you tell me what’s in the accompanying salad next to the roasted squash slices? It looks amazing and so delicious! I want a recipe!

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 9:55 am

Christina,
Yes, I can. Actually wrote a post about it since so many people asked: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/02/03/whats-in-that-bowl/. :)

Christina July 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Thanks so much for the reply! I love your blog by the way, you eat all my favorite foods (coconut, bacon, nut butters (though I’m partial to cashew nut butter), and lots of veggies)! I <3 Fat.

Ashley Roberts September 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Heather, I am fascinated by your blog! By the grace of God I have overcome an eating disorder, so now I want to make sure I am eating healthy. In addition, I just had my first baby while breast feeding I want to continue eating healthy. But how many calories/fat/carbs/protein does that mean? I want the food I eat to count! I am lactose intolerant and I have discovered that my son reacts terribly to soy products. They make him gassy. I use Almond Breeze, coconut creamer in my coffee, Ezekiel bread, protein powder, Almond butter, quinoa, flax meal/seeds, and I eat two apples a day. That’s not all I eat, but those are my “I will freak out if I run out of” staples. All that said, what can I do stay on the right track and still lose the baby weight?

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

Hi Ashley,
Glad you found me, and so funny that you are from MI and now living in TN. We’ve spent the past 2 summers in northern MI and have fallen in love with that place. The lakes, the little towns…the ice-cream! Haha, what is up with all the ice-cream up there? Not that I’m complaining – it was a lot of fun when I was pregnant, and but honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t birth a little moose track.

As far as your eating goes, I’m not sure how many calories/fat/carbs/protein your body needs. You will have to figure that out for yourself as it’s based on so many factors – your size, how many calories you are burning daily, etc. All of our bodies are different and have different needs. Just don’t skimp right now as your body is working hard to make milk, and I promise the weight will come off. Just eat well, stay active (pushing a stroller in Nashville is a workout – so many hills!) and you’ll be fine. I gained weight to breastfeed (had a low supply and took domperidone), and the weight did not come off until after we weaned. You’ll get there as it sounds like you are eating all good stuff. Hope this helps and thanks again for reading!

Ashley Roberts September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am

Thank you Heather! You’re right, Michigan is beautiful and there is indeed something about the ice cream! Mackinac Island Fudge was always a favorite of mine…that is of course in addition to Moose Tracks. My husbands aunt and uncle actually owned the ice cream parlor in my hometown, Marlette. The shop is called Moore’s Ice Cream. Not sure where you stay when you’re up there, but if you ever get the chance to check it out I think you’d find it worth the while. Not to mention my sister and her husband have a funky little sandwich shop there too, Stacks. They make the best pannini’s (their also on FB!). I build my own and have them put the works on it with pesto, onions, black olives, turkey, spinach, tomatoes, and pretty much whatever else they have on the ala carte list :-) Take care Heather! I look forward to reading your blogs and trying out your recipes! Thanks again for all of the helpful info.

g January 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm

i have recently become vegetarian but finding it hard to keep low carb and what to substitute for grains like quinoa, oats and buckwheat etc? also finding it hard to increase fat intake? how do you manage with being low carb? what do you mainly have for carbs to substitute for grains? things like beans? squash etc

HEAB January 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Hi g,
A low carb lifestyle has never worked well for me – love my carbs and eat oats, quinoa, rice, etc. We don’t really do wheat or gluten because our toddler is allergic. I also eat beans on occasion, and sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. Been eating one just about everyday here lately. I talked about eating low carb in the beginning of this post but then went on to say it really wasn’t working for me and I ended up adding more fat and carbs back into my diet. I’m happiest eating plenty of fat, carbs, and some protein – I do eat meat, and so I never worry about not getting enough.

Sorry I can’t be of much help to you, but a recipe that you might really like did come to mind. It’s for coconut flour “oatmeal”, and although I haven’t yet tried it myself, I’ve heard only good things about Katie’s recipe: http://www.katiekdid.com/2012/07/30/paleo-coconut-flour-oatmeal/

emma April 28, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Fat is good, it has taken years for me to realize this and some days I really have to remind myself of it. For years I tried the low-fat/no-fat diet and I would get SO hungry I would eat a ton- total backfire.
Balance, eat till satisfied…and if you get hungry, eat again. :)

HEAB April 29, 2013 at 7:20 am

Emma,
EXACTLY! Why do we always try to make the natural process of eating so complicated?!?

{ 11 trackbacks }