Skip to content

Mac & Cheese Please

January 30, 2010

Who all got snow? Nashville is covered in more snow that I’ve seen in years, and it’s so beautiful. I even went sledding which I haven’t done in years. So fun!

Did you eat mac & cheese with peas growing up? There’s just something about that combo, and I wanted to recreate it for today’s lunch. So, after a 30 minute walk with the pups in the snow, I did just that. I present to you cheesy pasta with green things HEAB style…

I roasted a spaghetti squash in the oven and scraped the “noodles” from one half of the squash. I then added 1 TBSP of butter and allowed it to melt. For the “cheese”, I used 2 TBSP nutritional yeast, and a drizzle of tahini. 1/2 of a chopped avocado served as my “peas”. Mmmm, comfort food at its finest. :)

Y’all, I’m spending way too much time on the computer, and I’ve got to take a step back. I so appreciate every time someone makes one of my recipes and takes the time to link back to me, but I don’t think I can comment on all of the posts anymore. Please know that I am grateful, but I won’t always be able to stop by to say thank you in person. Thanks for understanding. :)

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday!!!

63 Comments leave one →
  1. January 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Looks super yummy! We appreciate all the time you spend in sharing your recipes with us!

2. January 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Holy Schmoly! This look awesome! My kind of Mac n’ Cheese as well. Thanks Heather!

3. January 30, 2010 3:06 pm

That does look awesome- and I’m still going to keep posting on your recipes regardless of if you reply or not- you need a real life too- blogging is an insane time suck!

Have fun playing in the snow!

4. January 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Oh, man, that makes me so hungry!

5. eaternotarunner permalink
    January 30, 2010 3:06 pm

That looks delish ;-)

6. January 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks Adrienmelaine! :)

7. January 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Its so hard to keep up with blogging and commenting! Enjoy yourself :) I can’t believe how much snow you guys have gotten!! Love your version of mac n cheese- spaghetti squash rocks

8. January 30, 2010 3:24 pm

I heard you guys got 6 inches–that’s crazy!

9. January 30, 2010 3:28 pm

For a sec I thought you had pasta for realzzz….nah! I know bettah :)

Avocado peas=too perfect.

10. January 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Brilliant idea! I want some. :) Btw. we got some snow in PA too.

11. January 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Heather, I’m a newer commenter, and I comment because I want to affirm that I think you are fantastic — not because I ever expect a response. Don’t give it a second thought.

By the way, I attempted pancakes with diet 7-Up since we had no seltzer water — not quite the same effect! ;)

12. January 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks EE and sorry about the 7-Up mishap. Hehe…it was worth a try!

13. January 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I knew when I saw this title that it would not be your average macaroni and cheese! Looks absolutely delish :)

14. January 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Love this idea, even though nutritional yeast freaks me out a bit… maybe i’ll try it anyway!

15. January 30, 2010 3:51 pm

My favorite dish! Looks good. :)

16. Brandi permalink
    January 30, 2010 4:01 pm

glad you got to enjoy the snow :) we’ve been playing with our puppy all day, too. We got about 9 inches, and it’s still snowing here!

17. January 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh my gosh – this looks SO good! I definitely associate peas with macaroni and cheese. I’ve had nutritional yeast on my shopping list for weeks now, but I can’t find it at our local grocery store, so I think I’ll have to head over the health food store. I will be making this meal asap, though. Thanks so much for the idea, Heather!

Question: when you dig out the “noodles” from your spaghetti squash, does it take you forever to pick out the seeds? I never see any seeds when other people post pics of spaghetti squash, but it took me forever to pick them all out! There has to be an easier way, no?

18. January 30, 2010 4:17 pm

OMG, I am drooling. It looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe :) I’m from north of Atlanta and we were supposed to get snow but I’m not sure if we did or not, because I’m up in the snow belt of NY. If I could, I’d send my snow down to you! LOL

19. January 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Candicemccoy, I always cut my squash in half and bake face up in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Wait until AFTER baking to remove the seeds. They practically come out in one scoop. Much easier.

20. January 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Candice, Just re-read your comment. Sounds like you are waiting until after cooking to scoop out seeds. I make sure to get all the seeds out first before trying to remove any of the flesh.

21. January 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Mmm love the sound of avocado with spaghetti squash:)

22. January 30, 2010 4:50 pm

I just ate a luscious bowl of cabbage/caraway comfort soup, dolloped with tahini and cottage cheese. Perfect for a cold day!

BTW, I’ve made a fab spaghetti squash avocado dish –

23. January 30, 2010 5:20 pm

OMG, this looks sooooo delicious. Bookmarking it to try :) Thanks fo sharing!

24. January 30, 2010 5:39 pm

that way you make spaghetti squash makes me want to try some for myself ;) i need to add it to my list of veggies to try!

25. January 30, 2010 5:51 pm

ohhh my…that looks sooooo good! Looks like a real winner, for sure.

I definitely understand about the commenting. You do what you have to do…I’ll still be sure to stick around. :D

26. January 30, 2010 6:15 pm

What a creative little remake HEAB!

27. January 30, 2010 6:22 pm

So creative and delicious looking! I always make my spaghetti squash like traditional spaghetti and get tired of it after a few days (giant squashes!)… this is a good change to routine!

28. January 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Yep– mac, cheese, peas, and ham cubes– reminds me of my childhood :-)

29. January 30, 2010 6:47 pm

That looks great!!! I have yet to try spaghetti squash but I really need to!

And I live in Spartanburg, SC and we got LOTS of snow. OK well a lot for us Southerners haha Enjoy your snow!

30. January 30, 2010 7:07 pm

I love spaghetti squash, it’s a new favorite! This is kind of like the pizza with squash on it: de-pizza-ized. I cant wait to try it, what a great idea! :-D

31. January 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Mae, I know, you’ve got me obsessed with the nooch/tahini combo. I want it on everything! :)

32. January 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Heather, great work! Can you believe I never make spagh squash? Elise Hungry Hippy makes a great version and the Pure2Raw Twins posted a Mac n Cheeze recipe as a Guest Post when I was in Aruba on my blog. And it seems you made all that in one meal: awesome!

33. Melanie permalink
    January 30, 2010 7:38 pm

hehe…actually, knowing that you don’t feel obligated to comment every time I link to a recipe is kind of liberating…that way I can link to your protein pancakes each time I make a variation without feeling like I’m overwhelming you;). BTW, this morning’s? Not so good:(. But my rice protein powder and Xanthan/Guar gums arrived, so I’m IN THE GAME!!

34. January 30, 2010 7:50 pm

That “mac and cheese” looks delicious! I like broc in mine! <3 jess

35. January 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Oh yum, I LOVE spaghetti squash!

Hope you have a super saturday night :)
    bec xo

36. January 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Melanie, Oh my gosh, can’t wait to hear how you like your rice protein powder and gums! Sorry about this morning’s pancake mishap. ;(

37. January 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Enjoy the snowy Saturday evening!

38. abbynormally permalink
    January 30, 2010 8:27 pm

That looks so good!!!!! I am going to have to try it!

39. January 30, 2010 8:34 pm

I had an almost identical lunch today! I topped my spag squash with spinach and hummus and nooch. So good. And I agree with Melanie. I link to your site to give credit where it is due, not to get comments! And I hope you keep reading, even if you don’t comment.

40. January 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Looks great!!

41. Shannon permalink
    January 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Can’t wait to try this. I have all the ingredients on hand, so this week for sure! Love your blog, Heather. You are so inspirational.

42. January 31, 2010 12:42 am

THAT is my kind of mac ‘n cheese! I bet it was so good after an afternoon playing in the snow…I’m pretty jealous! I am seriously going through some spaghetti squash withdrawals, since I don’t think my store stocks them year-round. I’ll definitely have to procure some as soon as possible.

43. January 31, 2010 1:24 am

i havent had spag squash in sooo long, but that looks fabulous! def. going to make something similar when I get home!

love you HEAB! you always inspire me with your eats!!

44. January 31, 2010 2:06 am

The girls LOVE Annie’s Mac with Peas! Yours looks right up my alley, although my green would be broc or Brussells….or PEAS!!!

45. January 31, 2010 7:53 am

Katie, Great minds think alike, no? ;)

46. January 31, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks Shannon! :)

47. Carolyn permalink
    January 31, 2010 8:23 am

That looks great HEAB…Need to cook it the way you do!!! Me and Spag Sq have had issues in the past with the cook, shred part.. and sometimes it was not pretty… :-)

48. January 31, 2010 9:40 am

this looks great – I just bought nutritional yeast and was looking for recipes. thanks.

49. fitandfortysomething permalink
    January 31, 2010 9:55 am

Can you make that for me please?????

50. January 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Oh that squash looks great!

51. January 31, 2010 1:13 pm

What happened to Oatgurt? :) Have you tried avocado cocoa pudding in your oats? Overnight or normal. It’s ridiculously good.
    Have a wonderful day!

52. January 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Barbara, Ha ha, the oatgurt. Haven’t made it in forever after ODing on it earlier this summer. I’m sure it will make a comeback one of these days. Yes, love avo cocoa pudding on my oats:

How’s the Vita-Mix? :)

53. January 31, 2010 1:50 pm

I totally get that you could NEVER comment on everyone’s blog who ever makes something of yours!! Not a chance. You wouldn’t have enough time to eat and sleep@! I honestly do not believe that people would ever expect you to go and thank them for making your dishes- they are yummy and that’s why people make them!

Derek just said ” OOOOHHhhhhh macaroni, cheese and peas….THAT sounds delicous”…now that’s a compliment! :-)

54. January 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks Luvie!

55. January 31, 2010 8:29 pm

i just took a whole weekend off from the computer (no email, no blogging, no nada!) and it FELT WONDERFUL. seriously. at first, i was tempted. but after some what not to wear, america’s next top model, hanging with the fam, cooking and playing games, i didn’t even think twice. enjoy some time away from the comp!!!!

56. gordo permalink
    January 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Heather, I’m a friend of Jillian’s in C. Springs. I have to tell you this is a perfectly incredible recipe! (She told me about you and your site.) A group of us (including Jillian) are in the midst of a nutritional program sponsored by our yoga company (shameless plug: Corepower Yoga.)

57. January 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Gordo, Thanks for reading and ahhh, I wish I was there to do the NUT program with all of you. I took a couple of classes at Corepower Yoga when we were in CO this past summer. Loved it…love that Jillian too. :)

58. January 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the tip…I’ll have to try getting the seeds out first, then scooping!

59. February 1, 2010 12:45 pm

YUMMM. You know I’m lovin’ this. The title got me, but then when I saw the spaghetti squash, it was instant love.
    I wonder how this would turn out if I left out the tahini? Not a fan of the stuff…perhaps I’ll just double the nooch ;)

60. February 1, 2010 12:58 pm

Lara, I think it would be fine if you left out the tahini. :)

61. February 1, 2010 3:52 pm

Looks yummy – all it needs is a can of tuna and it’s like my perfect comfort food (I wonder if that would work with it…hmmm…). Thanks for sharing your recipes, it gives me some great ideas!

62. February 2, 2010 8:12 am

I love using spaghetti squash as a noodle alternative–for me it actually is much heartier as well! I love the idea of using it in mac n cheese–I never thought of that one! Leave it to you to think of all the genious ideas :-)

63. February 5, 2010 6:42 am

You are a genius my friend! Seriously- I don’t think of nooch, squash, tahini or avocado when I think of mac and cheese- but it looks like mac and cheese!! :) And fyi.. I don’t even like mac and cheese.