Stuck on The Fluff Factor

by HEAB on January 31, 2010

Hi Pies…I wanted to carry on Erin’s tradition since she’s no longer blogging. :(

Happy Sunday my friends. I did something this morning I haven’t done in so long. I sat in bed and read for hours. It’s day 2 of being housebound due to icy roads, and I can’t say I haven’t enjoyed it. However, I was sad to miss out on Sunday morning coffee at Frothy Monkey. Cherie, next week for sure!

I made up a new pancake recipe this morning, and it was yummy. Are you ready?

First I separated 3 eggs and beat the whites until 2 boobs stiff white peaks formed.

For my batter, I mixed 2 of the egg yolks with 2 TBSP flax seed meal (inspired by reader Carolyn), 4 TBSP coconut flour, 1 packet stevia, 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 cup seltzer water. I then folded in my egg whites. While I showered, I let my batter “set” and heated up the pancake griddle.

The flax really thickened things up…

So, I drizzled in some more seltzer water and went to town frying my cakes!

All finished and topped off with butter and Chocado Sauce.

Oh my gosh, these were heavenly. Sorry Jay, but my pancakes are so fluffy when I leave you out of the batter. No worries, I can think of plenty of other uses for you. ;)

Speaking of Jay Robb, don’t forget, today is your last day to use this promo code. You can click here to order.

JayRobb_PromoJan2010.jpg

Read any good books lately? I’m currently reading The Host. It was kind of weird at first, but it’s starting to get really good.

Meg January 31, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Woww those look AMAZING! I am a HUGE fan of your protein pancakes, Heather, and probably soon-to-be a huge fan of these as well ;)

Happy Sunday! Stay warm :)
Meg

Mara @ What's for Dinner? January 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Lovely pancakes my dear :) I’ve gotta try making pancakes like that now that I have all the ingredients!

Janice - The Fitness Cheerleader January 31, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I’m reading “Skinny Bitch” – it’s really made me think twice about the food my family eats.

kathleen January 31, 2010 at 1:19 pm

ahahaha!!! funny funny. looks delish.

Marianne in Auburn January 31, 2010 at 1:20 pm

So, I’m curious about the seltzer water…what exactly does it do? would plain old H20 work as well?

Loving the vanilla flavor Jay Robb protein as well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Marianne, I read that seltzer water makes your pancakes and other baked goods light and fluffy. It totally works, but you won’t get the same effect with H2O sin gas.

Joanne January 31, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’m reading Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson (the author of Three Cups of Tea). It’s really good so far, if not a little slow. Have you read Three Cups of Tea? If not, I would start there!
Your pancakes are gorgeous and look delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Joanne, I have read Three Cups of Tea and loved it.

eaternotarunner January 31, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Those look awesome! Whipping the egg whites is a great idea, I’ll have to check that out ;-)

Jessica January 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Seltzer water in pancakes?? That sounds amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Jessica, The seltzer water makes them light and fluffy. :)

Anna January 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Your egg whites look like the Mr. Pringle man from the side, with his big handlebar mustache.

That is all. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Anna, Ha ha – I must have a dirty mind. All I saw was boobs. ;)

Mandy A January 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I hear ya on being homebound! They’re saying this mess won’t even start to melt until tomorrow afternoon!! :(

You’re reading The Host? I actually was curious about it… I am – ashamed to say – hooked on the Twilight Saga now thanks to my sister… and was thinking of reading The Host after I finish up. I’d love to hear what you think when you’re finished!

Stay warm!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Mandy, No shame in the twilight series. NO SHAME MY FRIEND. You are welcome to borrow The Host when I’m done. Would give us an excuse to meet up. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Fluffy goodness- love the way that they got all dark and well-done- they even look like they could have been crispy. LOVE that coconut flour! Enjoy your house-bound day- lying in bed reading is heavenly.

Danielle January 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’ll have to try making pancakes with Seltzer water! I follow recipes in cookbooks and stuff but I always sub in whole wheat flour so they come out more dense. Maybe that will do the trick?

The chocado sauce looks sooooo good :)

Susan January 31, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Uh, I think you need to open up a HEAB Pancake House, stat!

I just finished Olive Kittridge – so good!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) January 31, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Your big plate of pancakes always looks so delicious. Have you ever tried vanilla seltzer? It’s really good and I bet it would be delicious in pancakes.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Mae, Good idea…as always! :)

Heather January 31, 2010 at 2:33 pm

My friend that got me into Twilight just read The Host and said the same thing – started out strange but ended real good. I just picked up The Omnivores Dilemma from the library. I’m excited to start reading it today :)

Tiffany January 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Wow, seltzer water in pancakes? Must try! I love “experiments” in the kitchen :)

fartygirl January 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm

LOVE the name Chocado sauce!!! :)

EE January 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Heather, my latest book recommendation is The Hour I First Believed (I hate that you can’t italicize in comments!) by Wally Lamb. I’m a voracious reader, and this was one I wanted to stretch out for days longer than I needed to read it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm

EE, you can italicize. Just type this: open bracket, i, closed bracket TITLE open bracket, backslash, i, closed bracket. I love those kind of books…the ones that you never want to end.

Rachel January 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I’m reading Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food. Really great so far!

caronae January 31, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Oh how I love books! I’m reading Cry, The Beloved Country right now.

Veggiesmack January 31, 2010 at 4:28 pm

The chocado sauce looks soooo tasty!

EE January 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Thank you, HEAB. :) You won’t regret reading that book if you do. Wally Lamb is one of my all-time favorites.

Kara January 31, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I tried to use that promo code, and it told me it was invalid. Oh well, they’re out of vanilla anyway.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Kara, Hmm, should be good through today. I’ll email the Jay Robb folks. Sorry about that!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oh, glad you enjoyed your morning! The pancakes look delicious! As always!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 31, 2010 at 6:31 pm

GOOD FOR YOU: I sat in bed and read for hours.
Great interchange last night, thank you. And thank you for this post, reminded me to step away from the ‘puter. And repeat. Step back, repeat.
xoxo

marla January 31, 2010 at 7:14 pm

These pancakes with your Chocado topping look great!
The Frothy Monkey, cool name and the food looks super yum. No wonder u like to hang out there.
Last good book I read…Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad. A memoir of survival. Great for adventure seeking folks who can’t risk being quite so adventurous!

Sarah January 31, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Currently I’m reading Pride and Prejudice and Zomies! It’s hilarious :) I love me some P&P especially with some zombie action….

As for those pancakes, they look delicious! If I haven’t just eaten dinner, I would have whipped some up for “binner”.

Enjoy your snowy day and your book!!

Cherie January 31, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Frothy Monkey next week, fo’ sho’, Heather Pie.

Mama Earth January 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Thanks so much for all these awesome pancake recipes, they really are satisfying.
I used the PROMO CODE for Jay Robb just now, and it worked….figured I could be inventive w/ the strawberry flav. since they are out of vanilla. I used your KOBACHA PANCKAE recipe and substituted canned pumpkin and flax meal for the eggs and in my humble opinion, it was fab. Have a great night.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 31, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Mama Earth, Yes, Jay Robb extended the promo through tomorrow. Glad you ordered some, and also glad you enjoyed your kabocha pancakes. Your version sounds yummy. :)

psychoj1 January 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm

WOW! Incredible pancakes. But everything you make is incredible!
<3 jess
xoxo

theprocessofhealing January 31, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Oh I love days like that, they are the best!

And I must say… you are the pancake QUEEN!

thedelishdish January 31, 2010 at 9:06 pm

ill have to try using this seltzer water in pancakes! i love lazy weekend mornings spent reading in bed…especially when it’s too cold to want to be outside. im starting unaccustomed earth by Jhumpa Lahiri now!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) January 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Wow, what a great way to make pancakes! Awesome!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Day-um, you make me want pancakes like no other. Definitely on the to-do list for my next free weekend morning. You just keep coming up with fun tweaks in the meantime, and in return I will tweak your boobs. I mean batter.

inmytummy January 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Haha, I love the two boobs.

I read The Help recently and really liked it. I just borrowed The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo from a friend. Looking forward to reading it.

Katie January 31, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I spent 2 hours reading this afternoon. I feel lucky to have the time to just sit and read when I feel like it. After my busy and productive morning, I definitely deserved it too!

I’m reading Whip It (a great great great movie, and even better book, of course) and am almost done. Just got Summer Sisters (a Judy Blume book for adults!) that is on deck. I love reading a little too much…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 8:46 am

Katie, In my opinion, you can never love reading too much. :)

candicemccoy January 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I finally gave in and ordered some Jay Robb. I can’t wait to try it!

Jillian January 31, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Those pancakes look D-lish my dear! So…I basically told everyone in NUT about how great you are…and about your blog too. :) Day one of broth starts tomorrow…heavy sigh. Hugs!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thanks for spreading the HEAB love Jillian. Good luck with the broth!!!!

Rose January 31, 2010 at 10:55 pm

WOW. YUM. My goodness.

I’m trying to start Anil’s Ghost for book club but keep falling asleep after I read a page. It’s not boring. I’m just tired!

Miz February 1, 2010 at 5:13 am

ooh and I do love me some ROBB

especially his packets for traveling.

pippapatchwork February 1, 2010 at 6:40 am

Those pancakes look delicious!

Tracie @Hollafoodzone February 1, 2010 at 9:23 am

oooh chocado sauce! Brilliant! I’m making it next time I make pancakes!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2010 at 9:28 am

this cracks me up…plus it looks so good! anything topped with butter wins in my department… :)

Marissa February 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I was REALLY craving pancakes this weekend but didn’t get to make any due to plans. Your photos never help! I am at work, still craving pancakes, and no way to make any!

Erin February 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

You’re my pie :)
P.S. I make your pro powder/egg white pancake recipe in the micro about 8 times a week…lurve it :)
Reading books is so glorious! I’m re-reading some Dave Eggers. Love him!

Bekah February 5, 2010 at 6:43 am