January Workouts

by HEAB on February 1, 2010

Happy February 1 my friends!!!

Did everyone survive their Januarys? I’ll be honest, January is not my favorite month as it’s usually pretty cold and dreary here in Nashville, but once it’s over, it means we’re one month closer to spring. :)

As you all know, I gave up yoga for a month of at-home workouts from Lindsey, an online personal trainer. The month was a lot of fun, and I would highly recommend Lindsey. She was always prompt to answer my questions, was very encouraging, and for the most part, I really enjoyed her workouts.

The workouts consisted of hyperbolic resistance training 2 days a week, 2 days of high intensity interval training, which I did on a stationary bike, and one day of strength training with dumbbells. There was also about 5 minutes of ab work 3 days a week, and I had the option of adding on steady state cardio whenever I wanted.

What I liked:

1. The workouts were short and efficient. Why spend hours working out when you can get everything accomplished in 30 to 45 minutes?

2. I was reminded that time off is good. Lindsey recommended that we take the weekends off from any exercise. Back in my running days, I always took at least 2 days a week off, but since I started doing more yoga, I felt guilty if I didn’t do something everyday. Don’t ask me why. That’s just how my brain works. Well, I really enjoyed my weekends without worrying about when I would fit in some exercise, and I’m going to stick with at least 2 days a week off.

3. I loved not doing the same workout everyday. I need variety, or I get bored.

What I didn’t like:

1. I don’t like ab work, and I never worry about doing specific ab work with yoga because almost every pose will somehow work your core. I’ll be honest, I dreaded the ab specific workouts every time I had to do them.

2. I hate burpees, ’nuff said.

3. In the beginning of January I was really excited about my new workouts, but by the end of the month, all I wanted to do was go to a yoga class. So during the last week, I skipped both sessions of hyperbolic resistance training for some yoga.

Numbers:

I gained a pound or two the first two weeks, and as much as I’d like to think it was muscle gain, I honestly think it was due to all the excess protein I was eating. Since I switched back to a diet higher in fat with moderate protein and carbs, I’m down 4 pounds from my highest weight this month. I also lost a couple of inches. So, all in all, a good month, but for me, weight loss/maintenance always goes back to my diet.

Again, many thanks to Lindsey for working with me this month. It was a good experience.

To all my running friends out there, I wrote a guest post for Monica from Run Eat Repeat on the benefits of massage therapy. I don’t talk about my profession much on the blog, but it’s something I’m passionate about, and I had a lot of fun writing the post. Included is a picture of me running the New York City Marathon. See, told you I used to run…this is me about to kick some French man’s booty near the finish line…

Also to any of you who tried to order Jay Robb online yesterday,the promo code actually expired Saturday at midnight, but Jay has extended the offer for one more day. However, they are completely out of vanilla rice protein powder and hope to have some more by next week. So, we’re going to work together on a special deal when they are restocked. You can click here to order. The chocolate is really good too. ;)

JayRobb_PromoJan2010.jpg

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2010 at 11:06 am

look at those leg muscles!!!!

i love that you’re honest about how eating a diet higher in carbs and healthy fats can actually help you keep your weight down. i think it’s something that a lot of people need to know, and something i needed to be reminded of!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 1, 2010 at 11:12 am

Love your honestly regarding the workouts and numbers. I also hate ab work and rarely do it – I feel most other exercise I do works my core. I also didn’t do much when I competed and still had a 6 pack – spending hours a day doing crunches is pointless!! Same with the duration – I am with you that intensity is SO much more important than duration!!

EE February 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

I seriously loathe burpees, but it’s because I fall on my face. And I always find ways to work my core that don’t involve crunches. Thanks for sharing your month musings with us!

Ameena February 1, 2010 at 11:16 am

I hate ab work so much. I’m glad I am not the only one. So funny how we change our diets and exercise to what we think we should do when we already know what works for us! I am so guilty of this.

Danielle February 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

Ab strengthening exercises are probably the ONLY ones I like. For me, arms are the worst!

It’s interesting that the high protein resulted in weight gain and the high fat diet resulted in weight loss. Dr. Atkins would not be happy! :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 11:26 am

Danielle, Dr. Atkins would actually approve – I’ve been concentrating mostly on saturated fats, of which he was a big fan. :)

The Foodie Diaries February 1, 2010 at 11:20 am

OMG I LOVE THAT PICTURE hahahah. And I HATE burpees. This could be because I’ve terrible upper body strength. Go figure, the only time my arms have ever felt strong was when I did Bikram regularly.

eaternotarunner February 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

I love that picture! And the guest post was great ;-)

Evan Thomas February 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

Your guest post this morning was great! I never knew what I was missing never having gotten a massage

JW February 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

What made you choose the rice protein over the other varieties? Just curious. Any tips for someone new to any kind of protein powder? As far as I know I have no allergies or issues with digesting certain foods. Thank you HEAB!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

JW, I am allergic to dairy, hence no whey, and I think the egg protein powder tastes nasty. If you have no problem with dairy, then by all means get the whey. It’s Jay’s best tasting.

Lindsey February 1, 2010 at 11:49 am

Heather,
I’m glad you liked your month! When I’m ready for another HUGE promo, I’m headed your way! :-)

Lindsey

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 1, 2010 at 11:52 am

Guess I’m the odd (wo)man out here- I love burpees but only because they hurt so good. :-) Not a huge fan of ab-work but do it from time to time. I agree you don’t need to do it to get a nice flat tummy- they say abs are built in the kitchen!

LOVE massages more than life itself. Off to read your guestie. :-) Happy monday!

eatmovelove February 1, 2010 at 11:54 am

Great post! I love the 2 days off – way to respect your body!

And ab work…what is that??! ;)

candicemccoy February 1, 2010 at 12:05 pm

What I love most about your blog is that you always give a good reminder that what works for some doesn’t work for everyone, and we all need to tailor our fitness and nutrition to our own needs. I need that remind occasionally!

I am realizing more and more how much my weight/body are directly correlated with nutrition more so than fitness. I used to spend hours a week doing cardio, thinking my body would become what I wanted it to be, but it never worked! I finally have realized that it comes down to what I put in my body for the most part. Not to say that fitness isn’t important for a million other reasons as well:)

Oh, and I wanted to say thanks again because I finally tried a yoga video from Polly’s site this morning, and it was great!

Gracie February 1, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I’m the same way when it comes to exercising – I feel like I have to do at least *something* every day. I haven’t exercised since Wednesday, though, due to an illness. I must admit that it’s been very beneficial to me mentally. I don’t wake up every morning thinking right away about what my workout is going to be, how long it’s going to last, etc. I’ve decided that when I finally *do* get better, I’m going to have a whole new exercise routine – one that doesn’t allow me to get borderline obsessive. I’m also going to decrease my amount of exercise because I feel like I was just doing way too much considering a) my busy life b) I’m not training for anything nd c) I want to have a routine that I can maintain for a *lifetime.* So what I’ve come up with is MWF – 30 minutes of cardio (as intense or light as I choose) and T-TH – 30 minutes strength training, with weekends OFF. I’m really excited about this =) Clearly…because I just turned this comment into a form of self-therapy. Haha, if you actually read all of this nonsense, thanks for being a good sport :P

Rachel February 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm

It’s fascinating how diet & exercise can alternately influence our weight! Even though that photograph of you is 7 years old, you look exactly the same!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Gracie, I think your new plan sounds perfect!

Anna February 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm

UGH– I hate ab work with a passion! Probably why I have a poochy belly :-)

Love that last pic of you!

Carolyn February 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Love the lip bite! Pierre had no idea you were about to open up a can of whop ass on him…

Happy Butter day!

Lara (Thinspired) February 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I am a fellow ab-work hater! Good for you for trying something new last month and getting out of your comfort zone. It must be nice to be back though :) You have worked so hard to figure out what works for you, that I see no reason to abandon it because it clearly works!

Oh, and I am sending this link to Matt at work…he’s going to love the photo of you kicking a French guy’s ass.

Lara February 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I loathe ab work and loving how yoga really works the abs without reazling it. What exactly is hyperboilc resistance training?

I totally agree that with weight it really is all about what you eat, not the exercise. It always comes down to that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Lara, Hyperbolic resistance training was rounds of various exercise using our own body weight – lunges, squats, burpees, jumping jacks, etc. The goal was to improve either the number of reps or the number of rounds each week. They were challenging workouts, but fun…minus the burpees of course. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Lindsey’s workouts sound fun! I love variety and do love working my abbies

missyrayn February 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Heather I love that you, your food and your workouts are always tailored to you. I love that you make a point of saying that you eat and workout the way you do because it is good for you. It’s always a great reminder to me to workout and eat the way my body needs and not what everyone else says.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I heart you…have I told you that lately? I started what we talked about on Saturday, and I’m already feeling less sluggish and just all in all “better”. Might be the veggies, or the fat is helping, or maybe its the not counting…
Thanks again love!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Mara, So good to hear!

charlotte February 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Your experience this month mirrored mine almost exactly! I’m going to post more about it wednesday but I too had tried to up my protein only to see the scale go up with it. And then saw a reversal when I returned to my whole carb lovin’.

ALso – I LOVE your face in that race picture . You are awesome!!

Katie February 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I have read in so many places that weight loss (and maintenance) is 80% what you eat and only 20% exercise. I try to remind myself of this when I am dragging my sore butt to the gym. But, a big caveat is that what foods work for one person don’t work for another, given that hormone levels for everyone are also different. I think it is awesome that you’ve figured out what works for you! I am sure a lot of people would love to be able to say that.

I have to say I love me some burpees. Fast and effective. Ab work? I do it, but I don’t love it.

Janna (Just Flourishing) February 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Whhha? I LOVE Abs and Burpees!

I also love massages. I took a swedish massage class a couple years ago and now all my friends request my massages!

Awesome picture :)

psychoj1 February 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I really enjoyed your guest post, Heather! Massage therapy sounds very interesting.

I have been doing more and more yoga lately and I just love how I feel! I think it’s officially my favorite form of exercise. I just mastered CROW!
<3 jess
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

So exciting Jess. I love Crow. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 1, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Seriously, burpees live up to their ugly name. Blech. Probably means they’re extra good for you though, right? Boo on that.

I tend not to mind ab work because my workout DVDs rarely REALLY challenge my abs. Until Physique 57 that is. THAT ab work has brought tears to my eyes. No fun! And yet awesome.

Marcia February 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I’ve recently started doing some Jillian Michaels dvds and workouts too.

I too HATE burpees. HATE them.

erintakescontrol February 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I’m sooo getting a massage this month! I’ve never had the opportunity to get one. I might be going to visit a friend later this month, and I told them that we MUST get massages!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean February 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I’m fairly fit, but I hate burpees. I look like an idiot when I do them, I have issues getting off of the ground! And then they want me to jump like in basketball?? Ugh. As you say, ’nuff said! LMAO :) I don’t mind doing abs in my classes, but on my own, not so much. I need REALLY loud music and other people feeling the pain too :)

Christopher Ian Hill February 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Hey Heather,

Well, I have been keeping up with my gym. I just work out on a treadmill. I started to work out for 30 mins a day. 3 days a week. This week, starting today, for each 5 min. segment within the half hour. I walked 4 minutes then jog 1 min. So that’s a good start.

The one thing, that’s still upsets me is the trouble of changing diet. First of all, one struggle is my sweet tooth, so I’ll be honest with that. But, I also thought of how hard is to afford healthier food/ingredients when I don’t have much money…it’s frustrating because I can only afford other stuff and usually it’s all fattening. I don’t know…maybe I just need to portion my food smaller…and I weighed myself today…and didn’t like what I saw.

To debunk the myth, it’s not just you ladies out there who care about their weight. I do too…I’m not really heavy, but I am overweight.

OK, well, I needed to let that out. I do feel good after a nice work out today!

~Chris :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Chris, You just have to say no and go cold turkey as far as sugar goes. It has no place in our diet, and you’re much better off without it. Look for specials in the grocery store. Buy in bulk when there is a deal. Get your produce from Costco. Not all healthy food is expensive. I know plenty of people on a budget who still eat very well. Just stay away from Whole Foods. :)

Jill February 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I LOVE that you were kicking that guys butt wearing a FLEET FEET Shirt!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Jill, I had to represent!

Chris Hill February 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Thanks, Heather!

Chris :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

So glad you’re back into your yoga groove! And also rest days. I confess, I dont know how to rest…I am always going, doing, movin n shakin’ and going a million miles an hour. Except in svasana :)

And I loved the massage guestie post, i just commented over there!
xoxo

Sarah February 1, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Wonderful article! I’m a fellow massage therapist (and long time reader) but I’ve never run, and I do almost no deep work-so fascinating from another perspective. I just made your pancakes as a mid afternoon snack and they were wonderful-thank you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Sarah, How cool. What kind of work do you do. More Swedish or more energy type work? So happy you liked the pancakes. They’re great any time of day!

Amy February 1, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I just started doing burpee’s regularly. I understand your statement 100%.

AWFUL!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Amy, AWFUL yes, but very very effective. :)

brittac February 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Hey HEAB you have mentioned numbers on a few of your posts lately. Having an ideal weight is a good thing, but I want to share a post I wrote not long ago over my frustration with concentrating on numbers. You can check it out if you want at http://brittac.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/healthy-vs-skinny/

Sagan February 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Best photo ever. You look so determined and strong!

I heart the core exercises, but I swear burpees are out to get me. They’re pure evil in exercise form.

Kimberly February 2, 2010 at 6:56 am

Hi Heather!
I haven’t been commenting much, but always reading! I was looking forward to this post for days and I loved it! Love the pic of you running–although I have discovered that I detest running. I just want to do yoga :) I also HATE Ab work, well, actually I just want do do yoga! I know I said that already :) Finally got crow and have been doing headstand starting from tripod–AWAY from the wall–WooHoo.

Anyway, I have been reading ‘The Schwarzbein Principle’. Have you ever heard of it? Reading that and seeing all your post about the benefits of fat have REALLY helped me! I am feeling SO much better and I am not weighing myself because even if I did gain, I am not willing to go back to starving! I am even eating the yolks in my eggs now-gasp 8)
XOXO
Kimberly

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 7:11 am

Kimberly, So weird…I was just reading about The Schwarzbein Principle the other day, but I can’t remember where. I’ll have to check it out. Look at you, headstand away from the wall and egg yolk girl…I’m so proud. :)

Samantha February 3, 2010 at 12:10 am

I am RIGHT THERE with you on hating burpees. It’s probably the single exercise I really truly despise…which is going to suck since a friend is sending me a copy of BeachBody’s Insanity which I know tosses lots of them at you!

Great running pick, powerful legs! Hope you’re enjoying being back to yoga! Still waiting on my husband to find the Whole Foods in HI so I can get back in on JayLove!

Bekah February 5, 2010 at 6:45 am

Oh my gosh Heabs- I loove the running picture of you! So hardcore. :) hehe and I LOVED your recap with the workouts and whatnot.. I think the most important thing you said was regarding your weight loss coming down to mainly your diet. And I get yadidadidah that exercise and diet combined is people’s best bet- but I do believe strongly that diet trumps exercise every single time. At least in your case and in mine too!

{ 2 trackbacks }