Hello Old Friend

by HEAB on February 2, 2010

Yes, this morning it was Oats in a Jar. Oh how I’ve missed you! I prepared 1/2 cup oat bran with water, added some vanilla and cinnamon, plopped it into a waning almond butter jar, and topped it with 2 TBSP whipped heavy cream and more cinnamon. I think I could have eaten this x 5. So good.

I ♥ chocolate. Oh, and I recently just discovered all the fun symbols I can insert with my blog publishing program. Danger danger ☢…evil ☠ chocolate pictures ahead, but don’t worry, chocolate is ☤ healthy. ☺

OK, so as most of you know, my favorite chocolate to keep around the house is…I’m weird, I know…the Bakers unsweetened chocolate baking squares. For some reason, I just love them. Plus, they are inexpensive, available at every grocery store, and the only ingredient listed is chocolate. However, Marla sent me some Scharffen Berger 99% chocolate baking bars, and they tasted way too bitter for my blood. I wonder what the deal is with the Bakers? Anyway, I couldn’t let all that Scharffen Berger go to waste. Such quality stuff! So, I made some homemade chocolate bars.

I simply melted down the chocolate on the stove-top over low heat, sweetened it a bit…just a bit, added some cinnamon and toasted almonds, and spread it out some parchment paper. I then placed it on a pan and let it sit outside in the cold. After the chocolate hardened, I cut it up into bite-sized bars with a pizza slicer. Perfect!

Speaking of yummy chocolate, you guys ever heard of nicobella chocolates? Well if not, you need to find some ASAP!

Reader Kendall told me about them, and the company was kind enough to send me a box of their vegan dark chocolate truffles. I tore into them immediately…

The box included blueberry almond, ginger green tea, pumpkin chai (my favorite), walnut flaxseed crunch, and sunflower banana butter. (Katie, I think they got the idea for that last one from you. ☺)These tasted amazing and so fresh. I loved the pumpkin chai, and the walnut flaxseed crunch tasted like it was filled with pure walnut paste. YUM! The blueberry almond was the only one I didn’t like so much, but I’m not a big fan of fruity chocolate flavors. Thanks so much nicobella. I so wish I could find your products in Nashville!!!

What about you? When you receive a box of chocolate truffles, what kind do you reach for first? I’ll grab anything that looks like it has nuts in it.

The Foodie Diaries February 2, 2010 at 8:49 am

Ok that chocolate looks ridiculous. I would’ve been all over the sunflower banana butter. Since that’s not usually an option in my boxes of truffles, I opted for whatever looks like it DEFINITELY doesnt have coconut inside. yuck. (don’t throw anything.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

The Foodie Diaries, Just mail me all the coconut ones. :)

Jess February 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

Pumpkin Chai vegan truffle? That sounds incredible!!

Hooray for oats in a jar :D
<3 jess
xoxo

EE February 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

I love unsweetened baking chocolate squares, too. A friend of mine used to swear I’d get used to them if I ever tried them, and she was right.

Ameena February 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

Okay I am dying over your homemade chocolate and the Nicobella! I am heading to their site right now to try to find out where they carry it. Totally cute packaging too!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Ohmigosh…those chocolate bars look delicious. I always have the bakers chocolate in my house, but could never imagine eating it. I reach for anything that has peanut butter in it. :)

Anna February 2, 2010 at 8:57 am

YURM! Those truffles look delicious…and such interesting flavors, too!

Susan February 2, 2010 at 8:57 am

That chocolate looks off the chain! I need get my hands on some Scharffen Berger stat!

Hey Heather, I know you’ve been increasing the fat in your diet, and I was wondering if you’ve noticed a change in your hair/skin as a result? Mine have been looking a little dull recently, and I’m wondering if maybe this is why. Thanks girlie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

Susan, Did you see this post? The proof is in the photos. I’m amazed myself… http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/28/fat-is-our-friend/

Erica February 2, 2010 at 8:59 am

I’m one of those odd girls that isn’t a huge chocolate fan. I prefer sugar sugar- like gummies (I know, so good for my body haha). If I am going to do chocolate, I do prefer darker chocolate! Love the oats in the jar- looks mighty tasty :)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

I’m the opposite- I would go for anything without nuts in it. I don’t like nuts in brownies, ice cream, chocolate, any of that. However, if it were a nut butter, that’s a completely different story!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

i love chocolove…it’s so good, and there are so many amazing flavors! i love chocolate with dried fruit in it…holy yum!

Susan February 2, 2010 at 9:09 am

Thanks Heather! I was pretty sure you had written something about it, but I wasn’t sure.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

I’m pretty sure I would die and go to heaven if I ever got a pumpkin chai chocolate in my hot little hand! WHEW!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

I’m a caramel girl… if anything looks like it maybe possibly could have caramel in it, I’ll eat it.

Tiffany February 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

Ahh I love all things chocolate and this post is just overflowing with the yummy goodness! :D And um… pumpkin chai truffles? Ahh must find some now…

cereghinojen February 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

My only real chocolate lust…See’s Dark Chocolate with Almonds! I wait all year for that one small box my mother-in-law puts in my Christmas stocking. :) YUM!

Rose February 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Those look incredible.

Run Sarah February 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Now I am craving chocolates at 7am! Hmm, I love any chocolate with PB!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

In a word: NOM.

Anything crunchy/nutty gets my teethmarks stat.

eaternotarunner February 2, 2010 at 9:34 am

I love that you made chocolate bars! That is such a good idea :-)

Justine February 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

I freaking love truffles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always take bites out of all of them looking for the ones filled with more chocolate or caramel. I cant stand the ones filled with fruity cremes or coconut, bleh, bleh, bleh!!!!!!!!!!

~Justine

Evan Thomas February 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

Those truffles sound too good to be true. I need to get my hands on some!

DiningAndDishing February 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

Lately I’ve been thinking a truffle made with black truffle oil would be amazing. Do those even exist I wonder??

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

DiningAndDishing, I’m sure it does exist, and when you find some, please send me one. :)

caronae February 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

Mmmmm…all of those chocolate bars sound wonderous, especially the ones you made. I just learned from Janetha that Feb. is national chocolate month!!!! Perfect timing HEAB.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

ahhhhh all your whipping cream is making me feel weak in the knees. I dare not try it, I don’t have restraint for one dollop like you. All of a sudden I’m be drinking it by the litre.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

Morgan, Don’t think I haven’t thought about it. ;)

Kristy@chewchewtrain.wordpress February 2, 2010 at 9:59 am

The whole time I was reading about the chocolates, I was thinking, “Yum, blueberry almond.” And then you say that’s the one you don’t like LOL. I just, not five minutes ago, put a post up on my blog about a blueberry almond smoothie. Too funny. I’ve been sick the past few days and have been craving carbs. I might do some oat goodness today, too. :)

plamarie February 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

Anything that is DARK chocolate. I usually like it plain. (No interference) Truffle chocolates and mouse are great too. As long as it is dark and plain :)

the vegster February 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

Mmm chocolate + oats in a jar. That’s my kind of eats! :)

-Ashlei

thedelishdish February 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

wow you sure did put me in the mood for chocolate!! those bars are a brilliant idea! i usually love praline truffles, but ill eat anything if its covered in chocolate :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 2, 2010 at 11:09 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! There is too much chocolate in this post. Too much chocolate? Is there such a thing? Why yes there is, if it’s chocolate I am unable to get my greedy hands on! :(

Fallon February 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

I wish someone would buy me a box of chocolate!! I always go around saying how much I love chocolate and how awesome it would be for someone to buy me chocolate as a present. But no, I usually get something completely different and wish it was just chocolate!!!

I will usually go for the dark chocolates either with a truffle ganache filling or hazelnut filling. Then if ANYTHING has caramel or butterscotch in the middle, it is ALLL MINE!

Julie February 2, 2010 at 11:17 am

I like anything with a gooey center, not rip my teeth out gooey, but nice a soft.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I can’t say I am much of a chocolate fan…I crave it very rarely, but I am with you on not having it too sweet. I think that’s why I don’t crave it so much since most of the time it is just too sweet for my blood. Your chocolate bars sound yummy though and of course that jar of oats looks decadent!

SamWB February 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

I will steal anything with nuts in it out of the box before I offer them to anyone else! lol

Just found your blog and loving it, I am ADDICTED to Almond Butter :)

xx Sam xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 11:41 am

Sam, Anyone who is addicted to almond butter holds a special place in my heart. Glad you found me. :)

LesleyG (justrun) February 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

Here’s fun fact about me: I do not like chocolate. Not. At. All. So more for everyone else! :)

Killian February 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

Oh wow your chocolate bars look so good! And the truffles too! When I get a truffle box, I go straight for the hazelnut cream, the toffee, the dark chocolate, the fondant, anything either creamy or nutty or gooey and oozey, in my gob it goes :P The vegan ones look great but I’m not sure how comfortable I am with vegan chocolate. In my opinion, the more milky creamy thickness, the better :) You must love allowing yourself all the double cream and such that you do! You’re such an inspiration in a world where the majority of people would see it as an enviable sin! I’d love to try it one day. One day. Have to try oats in a jar too, that sounds amaze! I just can never gauge when I have gotten rid of enough nut butter and then suddenly it’s all gone and I can’t do it :/ Yours look good though :)

xx

Kelly February 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Truth…I don’t like truffles…they are too sweet for me!!

Julie @SavvyEats February 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Those flavors look so creative and DELICIOUS!

Cindy February 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Heather!! I had forgotten that it was because of YOU that I even tried a square of some unsweetened baker’s chocolate on one desparate day months ago. I’ve been hooked ever since. As a matter of fact, I JUST bought some this weekend…AND USED some.

I do love fruity chocolate flavors but mostly I love CARMEL and chocolate. or toffee and chocolate. OH MY

your chocolate treats look great!

Happy Tuesday

I had me some home made whipped “cream” minus chemicals and sweeteners this morning in my coffee….AMAZING. Simply Amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Cindy, Oh my gosh, try the cream on your oats! ;)

So glad to know I’m not the only one who can eat the Bakers squares straight up. They’re the only 100% chocolate I like.

Allie (Protein Girl) February 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I like chocolate two ways.
1) naked, dark and sultry
2) with everything but the kitchen sink in it – coconut, nuts (non-negotiable), raisins, craisins, smaller bits of chocolate, chocolate crunch, toffee. Am I missing something?

I ♥ silly symbols!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Anything with caramel in the middle =) Oooh – or peanut butter!

You MUST get your hands on some Poulain dark chocolate – I think you will like it a LOT! It’s pure dark chocolate, but so creamy and delicious. Don’t know if they have it in the states but it’s EVERYWHERE in France!

eatmovelove February 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm

YUM!
And I’ll pretty much sample them all – even if they’re not that good – I’ll try any cream, caramel or nut..and then try the next :)

Samantha February 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Chocolate is the most amazing thing ever…..gives joy to my world! That and nut butters!

Katie February 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I reach for whatever is closest to me. :D

I also eat the unsweetened bakers chocolate. A little dab of peanut butter on top, and it is the perfect dessert. I just posted a really good chocolate brownie recipe I think you’d like. Check it out if you get a chance.

Your chocolate bars look amazing. I was just thinking this morning that I should make something along those lines.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Oh MAN this post gave me a toothache! A good toothache, that is. ;) Nothing better than chocolate truffles. I tend to go for the ones that look like they’re NOT fruit flavored. I’m hardc0re with my dessert, and fruit = healthy = antithesis of dessert!

Margie February 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm

That chocolate looks great! If I was to receive a box of truffles, I usually reach for the darkest one or look on the bottom of the box to see if any one of them contains praline or toffee.

Ana February 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh, I love the oats in a jar, so good! I think I am obsessed with almond butter, I can’t go one day without it, then the jar starts to get empty (always have another full one in pantry, obviously!) and I get happy because I can add oats in there!
Another chocolate lover here, the darker the better! When I get a box of truffles I try to go for the dark ones first, and usually the ones that doesn’t have any flavors, I like to first taste the pure chocolate thing, then I go to the one with almonds!! (favorite nut!)

phl003 February 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

what a brilliant idea for chocolate! i’ve never thought about just melting it plain. sounds good!

Jenn@slim-shoppin February 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I love the baker’s chocolate too, but don’t like other kinds either, sometimes they are too dry, or bitter, or yucky!

I’ll have to find the Vegan chocolates for my friend at work who is Vegan at work, I’ve never heard of those before

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 2, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I go for whatever has salt on top or looks like it may contain caramel. I’m a huge burnt sugar fan!
Those vegan truffles look so delicious! I remember looking for dairy-free/vegan truffles a year ago and finding 2 companies, one of which wouldn’t ship in the summer months. I don’t know if my search engine skills have improved or if they’re just becoming more popular, but it’s so great to see such varietiy in vegan gourmet chocolate!

Abi February 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You change the way I eat Heather :) By the way, cooking oat bran in unsweetened vanilla almond milk with coconut and apricots is quite tasty! (topped with AB, of course!) Plus, it’s a great way to eat more fat!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Abi, Sounds very tasty. I like the way you think. :)

Kay February 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

oh my gosh I love 99% chocolate too. It just taste so rich but I can see why others don’t like it.
mm oats in a jar is just the best! I will have to try adding some whipping cream for extra staying power. I think I have a similar situation as you – fat> protein for staying power!

ps. you got my hooked on xanthan/guar gum. A day doesn’t go by where I don’t make a smoothie (yay for extra fruit/calcium!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Kay, The gums changed my life. Lurve them!!!!

Alyssa February 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Heather, I love your blog and recipes! I’m on a cleanse right now and shouldn’t be reading your chocolate blog!!! Difficult when I am sustained on beet broth and master cleanse!

P.s. I’m obsessed with almond butter as well :-)

Karla February 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Oh goodness! Now I’m dying for a hunk of chocolate!

Michal February 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Yum yum yum!
You’ve got me making a trip out to my kitchen to make some homemade chocolate almond butter cups. You enabler! Hehe just teasing i like being enabled by your scrumptious eats :)

BroccoliHut February 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Oh man, I am totally jonesin for chocolate now. I always go straight for the ones that appear to have coconut:)

abbynormally February 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Chocolate is my best friend. Almond butter is my soul mate.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Great minds think alike with making chocolate fudge like things.. Just yesterday I made a batch of vegan fudge using coconut milk and chocolate!!! Mine didnt harden up as much as I wish, though. Even in the freezer. I think I used a smidge too much coconut milk but I digress. Yours looks gorgeous! And I also won some of that Choc from Marla (love her!) and have been playing around w/ it. I think it’s more bitter than Baker’s b/c it’s simply purer and the purer real choc is, the more bitter it’s going to be, i.e. it’s sourced from a purer place, cocoa bean, whatever.
Just my musings of course.

And the vegan truffles. Oh lovely. I avoid nuts. I go for caramel-ish type chocolates or just a hunk of pure dark choc!

Great post Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Averie, Good point about the chocolate being more pure. Thinking that’s probably not a top concern for the Bakers folks. :)

adaywithoutapples February 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm

i like almost all truffles but hazelnut, so i tend to go with the one that’s the prettiest!

Gracie February 2, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I really, really like chocolate. I’m not like most girls, though, who sometimes seem to go crazy for it, haha. I like a good piece of chocolate every once in a while, and it has to be *super dark.* No milk chocolate for me. But those truffle flavors sound AMAZE. Pumpkin chai? Yes please!

theprocessofhealing February 2, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Oh girl.. that chocolate looks incredible.

And oats in a jar… oh yum… I’m trying to use up my jars of nut butters so I can have one (it’s been way toooooo long) but I have so many.. it may take a while.

pureblissnutrition February 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I go for the chocolate, chocolate, chocolate truffle…

DiaryofaNutritionist.com loves chocolate. :)

missyrayn February 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I always look for the dark chocolate outside and nuts inside. I hate the fruit flavored one.

jenny February 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm

i must find some vegan chocolate stat.

yogiclarebear February 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm

im not sure about any of these chocolate products, but it seems to me that scharffen berger and nicobella are more fun to say than bakers.
;) happy wednesday heather!

Claire February 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Wow, whipping cream in oats! Was it whipped? Sounds like a good idea for a birthday breakfast….OIAJ with whipped cream! I’ve got to try the Bakers unsweetened baking squares….never had those straight before! And if I don’t like it….then I just get to bake! You always inspire me HEAB! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2010 at 8:06 am

Claire, Yes, I whip the cream with a milk frother: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B0002KZUNK

destiny February 2, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Hi, My name is Destiny and actually fitnessista directed me to you with a question, any help at all would be great!

I have a question that i have been curious about. I have seen people using their empty peanut butter/almond butter jars and putting oats and other goodies in their and they are all excited about their jar creations. I was wondering what was so great about it, if you did it, any hints to it, and any recipes you can give me for it, i am so new, and soaking in all this information.

thanks soooo much!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2010 at 8:14 am

Destiny, I always dump my cooked oats into an almost empty nut butter jar, and I finally posted it my blog, and the idea kind of took off. It’s so good because all the clumpy remains of your nut butter are waiting for you at the bottom of the jar when you finish eating your oats or whatever hot cereal you put in the jar. The oats kind of melt the nut butter at the bottom, and it’s an especially good jar if you have nut butter smeared all over the sides. I always make sure there are a few side smears before dumping in my oats. Hehe. :)

The method is easy. When you’re nut butter jar is almost empty, use it as a bowl. Dump your hot cooked cereal in there, and I sometimes use mine for smoothies and pureed squash as well. Whatever you would top with nut butter, just throw in the nut butter jar instead. You’ll love it!

Emily February 3, 2010 at 2:50 am

I don’t know which one I like better…. the oat bran or the chocolates. Both look so good! You should add some of the chocolate to the oat bran. ;)

I don’t know why Bakers is different than Scharffen Berger. That’s interesting! Cocoa butter content?

Goldie February 3, 2010 at 6:56 am

I am a massive PB and oats fan.

I can’t find almond butter in the UK :0( think I need a specialist shop.

I’m also a massive yoga and walking fan and you inspire me daily…

thank you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2010 at 8:07 am

Thanks Goldie. :) You can always try making your own almond butter: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/homemade-nut-butter/

marla February 3, 2010 at 7:04 am

I am glad to see that you found a tasty use for your SB bar. It is very strong flavored. Gives quite the choco buzz too! That heavy cream on your Oats, good idea. I might need to go that direction. I have been addicted to my Artisana coconut butter with goji berries and cacao. That stuff is mad good on top of a steamy bowl of oatie goodness. Gonna go check out Nicobella. I too like the nutty truffle flavors over the fruit ones. That said, if I were stranded in a room with citrus or raspberry truffles….they would be eaten, all of ‘em!

fartygirl February 3, 2010 at 9:48 am

Made pancakes with oatbran this morning. Holy Jeebus were they yummms. Made me think of you. <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

Thanks farty. So happy I was a part of your brekkie. :)

Hillary February 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Oh-M-Gee…the nicobella bars sounds uh-mazing – such creative flavors. Know where I can get my hands on some??? I am a HUGE dark chocolate fan, but unsweetened…you crazy, girl.

- The Nutrition Nut

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

Hillary, You can currently purchase the nicobella chocolates in California, Seattle, and Chicago. Or you can purchase them online here: http://www.nicobellaorganics.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?CatalogueID=60474. They’re so good!

Jenna February 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Chocolate looks so good!!