Guess My Breakfast

by HEAB on February 4, 2010

Carrot ginger soup? Sweet potato bisque? Nope, guess again. I’ll give you a hint: It involved frozen kabocha. I even removed the skin before freezing so that my breakfast wouldn’t look like a bowl of baby pooh…you’re welcome. :)

Figured it out yet????

it was Mae’s squash cheesecake protein ice-cream. I just added more liquid and turned it into a smoothie. So good Mae, and I promise to try your chocolate version next time.

OK, so now we know what filled my bowl, but do you know what I used as my topping?

Smoothie Girl’s Almond Silk. Another winner from Deb!

Speaking of ice-cream, lately I’ve been loving on some avocado bowls of frozen goodness…

You can click here for the recipe, and while you’re at it, you can click here to check out my newly organized recipe page. I know the search engine on my blog is not very user-friendly. So, I’m going to try and be better about including any new recipes I come up with on my recipe page. Enjoy and thanks as always for your support. :)

Before I go, please click here to vote for for Eating Bender and her fiance, Bobby, in Crate and Barrel’s Ultimate Wedding Contest. Congrats Jenn!!!

Naomi February 4, 2010 at 9:13 am

ummmm YUM I need to check out this avo pudding that you have become oh so famous for! that soup looks amazinggggg

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 4, 2010 at 9:35 am

that’s such a gorgeous shade of orange! makes me want to paint my house…is that weird? love the new recipe page by the way :)

jacobc February 4, 2010 at 9:49 am

nom nom nom rating of 10! Kabocha ice cream looks awesome!

We are going to use my fireplace this weekend for the first time to make kabobs and smores, ha!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 9:55 am

Jacob, so jealous! Please eat a kabob for me. :)

Ameena February 4, 2010 at 10:08 am

So many unique recipes on your site! So little time. I need to quit my job so I can stay home and try all these amazing creations. :)

balancejoyanddelicias February 4, 2010 at 10:09 am

mmmmm…. another yummy kabocha creation!!! :D

eaternotarunner February 4, 2010 at 10:21 am

Love the recipe section!

Anna February 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

Yum!!!

And hey, I had “baby poo” for breakfast yesterday. Nothing wrong with that ;-)

adrienmelaine February 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

We have got to get that girl to win the wedding! I made my parents vote for her the other day- they don’t have better things to do but make it happen!

The Foodie Diaries February 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

squash cheesecake? i need this in my life.

Mama Pea February 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

I tried making kabocha ice cream before, but it just tasted off to me. I think my squash was old. But I’ve been making all sorts of frozen concoctions with my gums and they are SOOOO good! Thanks to you and Deb for the enlightenment.

Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie February 4, 2010 at 11:04 am

Something orange for breakfast.. that’s my kind of morning.

pippapatchwork February 4, 2010 at 11:21 am

Mmm that looks so good! I CAN NOT find kabocha squash near me! Not at my local grocery store, anyway. Where do you get it? Whole Foods?
All I can find is acorn squash, which is good but I’m dying to try the much-loved kabocha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 11:33 am

Pippa, I can find kabocha at Whole Foods, but only during the early Fall months. However, I can buy it year round at my local Asian Market.

Lara (Thinspired) February 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

I have some frozen (skinless) kabocha…hmmm…might have to try some Mae/HEAB inspired breakfasts soon :)

Melissa S. February 4, 2010 at 11:49 am

hey heather, what are the gums used for in your avocado ice cream? i don’t either of the xanthan or guar gum, but have a wholeeee lot of avocados!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Melissa S. They make it thick and creamy. Just like ice-cream straight from the blender. Without them, you’ll just get more of a smoothie. Try using less liquid if you don’t have the gums.

ChelseaB February 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hey Heather! Love the blog…been a reader for about a year :) . Yoga question for you–do you ever do yoga DVD’s when you practice? I live in Dallas, and have taken classes at several great studios here, but can’t afford them at the moment. I’ve been practicing on my own for about two years. I’d like to pick up an assortment….I generally like a pretty rigorous flow, but sometimes you just need a slower, gentle pace too, you know? Especially at the moment for me–first baby on the way and due in June! :)

Chelsea

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm

ChelseaB, Many congrats on your growing belly. :) So very exciting. Following are my at-home yoga recommendations: For DVD’s, I really like Polly’s DVD, and I have some of the Sarah Ivanhoe DVD’s as well. They are all great. I also like finding free yoga online:

– Polly has some great online videos. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you. – Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts! – I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga -sequence/. – Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://www.yogatothepeople.com/tryOnlineClass.shtml – You can try tons of free 20 minute classes over at http://www.yogadownload.com, one of my favorite yoga websites. Love all their classes, especially the new videos, and they offer prenatal yoga classes as well. :)

Hope this helps Chelsea, and thanks for reading my blog…you’ve been with me since almost the beginning. Best of luck with everything! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Major props on the recipe tab!
No search engine is perfect, I thought it was just a blogspot glitch, though. But then I realized that even you WP girls dont have perfect options, either. Such a pain isn’t it when you want to find something on your own blog and can’t LOL
Great foodie pics, as always!

Gracie February 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Ahhh, you are so creative! I wish I had those ideas….eating would never get boring! So, was it tasty??

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Gracie,
So yummy, but I think I would prefer it in ice-cream form as a dessert. My belly was content for hours, but I was FREEZING all morning.

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 4, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Heather, I’m so glad you liked it!!! Frozen squash is awesome… (Frozen ANYTHING is awesome!)
I found some REAL kabocha at a regular supermarket (my farmer is done for the season so I haven’t been able to find it lately.)
You’ll <3 it with chocolate too… that's what I had for breakfast today!

I eat in front of the space heater. Don't judge! ;-) :-D
You're awesome HEABs and I can't wait to try Deb's Almond silk!

Mona February 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm

That looks great. I am dying to try your heab hot chocolate with the avocado!

oh and this morning I heated up some chocolate almond milk and added a small dollop of whipped heavy cream…so good :)

homecookedem February 4, 2010 at 3:04 pm

MMMmmmmmmmmm, that looks so delicious!! Andrew just bought me 2 more kabochas!! WOOOHOOO!! I should have taken a picture for you to show you how he brought the TWO kabochas to me… MEN! haha! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Em, I can picture it…CD would do the same thing. Hehe. ;)

the dainty pig February 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

yum yum yummmy yum yum!
am so craving some of that goodness right now :D
Have a blissful rest of your week, friend!

Michal February 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Yum! I will give you 5 dollars to ship me a bowl of that deliciousness so I can have it for breakfast ;)

Katie February 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Funny thing is that I saw that photo and my mind immediately went to kabocha squash. My go-to snack for the last, oh, two months now, is kabocha/butternut squash, maple syrup, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and almond milk smoothie. You will love the chocolate squash combo guaranteed.

tramey1 February 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Breakfast looks FAB. You have to try my Quin-oats!!! I was thinking you would <3 them while making them and blogging about it this morning! ;-)

Claire February 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Oh wow, Deb’s Almond silk almost sounds like a chemistry class! But so much tastier :)

psychoj1 February 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I knew it had something to do with squash!!

CaSaundra February 5, 2010 at 6:05 am

As soon as I saw orange, I knew kabocha had to be involved somehow! :-)

Jessie @ thehappinessinhealth February 5, 2010 at 7:59 am

Kabocha for breakfast?? :O Heather, you rock my world :) . I’ve got to try that.

fitandfortysomething February 5, 2010 at 8:03 am

I agree with other comments….you are sooooo creative with your food. I think I eat the same old stuff all the time!

Have a good day!

Sara @ ActiveGal February 5, 2010 at 10:26 am

That looks delicious! I wish I had your creativity!

Jenna February 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Looks great!

Deb February 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Oh yay! I didn’t know you made the silk-truth is yours looks better than mine did-darker n chunkier , nom! Wow Mae is a kamakazi in a good way! When I get back to some wi fi action I’m gonna check out her squash cheesecake ice cream!

Jenn (eating bender) February 6, 2010 at 10:25 am

Gracias, seƱorita bonita! I appreciate the link love :) I’m getting so anxious about this contest. I just want it to be March 31 already! Haha.

Love the looks of that squash cheesecake protein ice cream from Mae and I am dying to try Deb’s Almond Silk. It looks SO GOOD. You can always be counted on with the best “blended” posts around, HEAB. I mean that in terms of the food and the variety of recipes because I’m clever like that ;)

Have a GREAT weekend!