Saturated Fat Sunday

by HEAB on February 7, 2010

I’m currently eating my breakfast and blogging at the same time since I have a massage therapy class from 8:30 to 5:30 today. It’s going to be a long one…my day, not my post. :)

Yesterday, the nut butter fairy paid me a visit:

Justin’s Nut Butter sent me a jar of their classic almond butter as well as some squeeze packs of maple almond butter. I was super excited because I can’t get their jars of almond butter here in Nashville. Come to think of it, I don’t think My Whole Foods even carries the squeeze packets anymore. Thanks Justin! Also on my doorstep was a very thoughtful package from Miss VeggieGirl herself. Futters raw walnut and chocolate almond butters as well as some of their new Tortuzes ( chocolate caramel turtles). I have always wanted to try Futters Nut Butters. Thank you so much VeggieGirl!!!

Since it’s Pancake Sunday, I got up early so I could eat breakfast before class. So glad I did!

I made a version of Katie’s Oatmeal Cookie Crepe Cakes. The bit of rolled oats gives these little cakes such a lovely chew factor. Into my batter went the following:

1 egg yolk

40 grams blanched almond flour

20 grams rolled oats

1 TBSP cocoa powder

stevia

cinnamon

1/4 cup seltzer water

1/4 tsp baking powder

3 whipped egg whites

For my dipping sauce, I combined 2 TBSP full fat whipped cream cheese with 1 TBSP Justin’s Classic Almond Butter and a little water to thin. Justin, I love your ingredient list of nothing but dry roasted almonds and organic palm fruit oil. The sauce was so delicious, and I used it to make Pancake Oreos. ;)

I’ve mentioned it before, but I don’t fear saturated fats. In fact, ever since I’ve added more of it into my diet, I’ve seen nothing but improvements. My hair texture has improved, my skin is so much softer, I’ve dropped a few pounds, and my good cholesterol numbers went up. I was having coffee with a friend on Friday morning, and she requested full fat cream cheese for her bagel. I started gushing about my new found obsession for everything full fat, and she just said matter-of-factly, Oh, you mean how nature intended us to eat? I think she hit the nail on the head. Don’t you think our ancestors would be laughing at us skimming the fat off everything, usually replacing it with sugar or salt. So silly my friends. Again, our bodies need fat. Yes, there are some “bad” fats out there. We definitely need to stay away from trans fats, but if you eat the way nature intended you to eat, you shouldn’t have a problem avoiding them since trans fats are found in packaged foods. I’m also not a huge fan of vegetable and some seed oils. You can read why here. I challenge all of you to add more fat into your diet. Eat the egg yolk. Add unrefined coconut oil to your next smoothie. Stir-fry your vegetables in butter or ghee, and take notice at the changes in your body. I think you may be surprised.

So, what about you? Is fat your friend or foe?

I’ll be in class all day, and I’m hoping to make it home just in time for Super Bowl Festivities. So, I’ll be away from computer all day. See you guys tomorrow and HAPPY SUPER BOWL SUNDAY. I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but Go Colts!

Mish February 7, 2010 at 7:55 am

I think that this is SUCH an important thing to talk about and I thank you for this.

FAT isn’t bad.

People are obese on 100calorie packets, diet cokes and frozen meals. It’s not REAL food.

You’re friend is wise. If you’re gonna eat it, eat what nature gave us.

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

Pancake OREOS?! Oh my goodness, Heather! Haha I have a post planned for tomorrow with a hybrid pancake-type recipe… but I think your pancake oreo idea TOTALLY overshadows it and takes the cake (err, pancake!).
Ah, to live with your creative mind for a day…

molly @thevegandorm February 7, 2010 at 8:09 am

Such a great post – I only recently got over fear of fats.
It blows my mind that up until a year and a half ago, I didn’t “like” nuts or nut butter.
Now that I’m vegan, I get most of my protein from nuts. All the sudden, I have lost hair growing back and my nails are strong.

Erica @ Fashion meets Food February 7, 2010 at 8:15 am

Wow you got a lot of yummy butters! Those pancakes look absolutely fabulous!!!

ourhealthybites February 7, 2010 at 8:25 am

I’m all about cooking with REAL butter, coconut oil, nut oils, ghee. A little goes a long way! I’m am fan of fat. :)

Hannah February 7, 2010 at 8:31 am

Hey Heather!
I happen to love Brown Cow full fat yogurt. It’s rich and creamy and you don’t need a lot to tickle those tastebuds! Can you eat yogurt or does that form of dairy upset you? I see you are eating cream cheese and butter-are those easier for you to digest then milk or yogurt? If you are thinking of eating yogurt, I totally recommend that stuff!
~Hannah

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hannah, I’m not having a problem (YET) with full fat dairy products that contain little protein. I think I have a mild allergy to whey and casein, the proteins in dairy products. So unfortunately, yogurt is out. Too high in protein. However, I’m doing okay with heavy cream, butter, and full fat cream cheese. So yummy! I really miss yogurt – please enjoy some for me! :)

Jennie {in Wonderland} February 7, 2010 at 8:34 am

I love fat. I’m a big fan of avocados, coconut oil, nuts, nut butters… they all give me glowing skin, strong hair and tons of energy. I don’t really eat dairy, but if I were to eat it, I would eat the full fat, natural kinds.

I remember the days when I would only eat ‘light’ cream cheese, ‘fat free’ cheddar, ‘diet cookies’… blah blah blah. All the 100 calorie packs, the diet coke, the ‘slimming’ soups. It’s just gross. Now when I see those words, I think, ‘it’s processed and therefore, not really food anymore.’

I love your blog, Heather. It really inspires me to look at food in different ways. Especially the pancake oreos. My mouth is actually watering, lol.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for reading Jennie..in Wonderland. :)

Evan Thomas February 7, 2010 at 8:42 am

I’ve been eyeing Futter’s website for soo long; I can’t wait to hear more about them!

Anna February 7, 2010 at 8:46 am

WHO DAT!!!

What a fun pb package! I love Justin’s stuff :-)

fartygirl February 7, 2010 at 8:49 am

I have to thank you for posting so much about fats. While too much of them can kill an IBSser like me, the right amount is PERFECT. Carbs leave me bloated. But avocado on the salad or nut butter on the veggies fill me up just right.

All those dieters out there moan the loss of their carbs, complaining of hunger… every time I hear them, I think of how wrong they have it… it’s not carbs we need so much of… it’s fats and protein!

I actually quit dairy because of your posts about dairy. Afterwards, I noticed that my chronic sore throats and other flu-like symptoms had dissipated. I thought it was funny, because you wrote about dairy giving you some of the same probs. Does the butter and whipped cream not bother you?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Fartygirl, Butter, especially ghee contains next to no dairy proteins, but heavy cream and full fat cream cheese do contain a little. Sounds like both you and I are allergic to the casein and whey. I’m experimenting with the full fat products with very little protein, but I know I can never eat full fat cottage cheese or yogurt – too high protein. So far, no problems with the heavy cream (NOT half and half, I use the whipping cream), butter, or full fat cream cheese.

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well February 7, 2010 at 8:50 am

I’m seeing almond flour in so many baking recipes these days! I’m so curious to try it out for myself! Great recipe girl!

homecookedem February 7, 2010 at 9:01 am

Your pancake oreos look wonderful!! I am going to HAVE to get some almond flour!! I finally bought nutritional yeast yesterday, YAY!! Had it on some apple slices… it was glorious!!

I am getting much better about fat… it’s definitely hard to get used to after years of fearing it, ya know?!!

skinnyrunner February 7, 2010 at 9:06 am

i want a pancake oreo sandwich!
its interesting to think that yeah, a lot of the fat is replaced with things that aren’t good for you, like sugar. but its that womans mentality to always go low-fat… great post by the way!

Ashlei February 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

I love this post! I used to fear fat because it’s always touted as “fat makes you fat” but not only does it TASTE GOOD but we do need the good kinds of fats. I was just complimented the other day on how shiny and great my hair is plus my complexion (thank you coconut oil!) :)

I love reading your blog because you don’t “water/steam saute” veggies and aren’t afraid of fats! Thanks for spreading the education around :)

Ashlei

leslie February 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

i don’t know why. but something about that comment of your friend’s is so…perfect. it sums up my life philosophy in such a concise, simple way. why should we be eating low fat anything, even if it’s saturated fat? it isn’t natural even if the ingredients list is short. thank you as always for sharing your perspective with us, heather. :)

Jessica February 7, 2010 at 9:18 am

Futters was the first nutbutter I tried that was flavored, and I still have tons of it! I love the pecan butter – so good! I love fat. I eat alot of it. Egg yolks, oil, nut butters, butter, chocolate – you name it!

Kath February 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

I love fat too :)

Fat-free diets make me want to SCREAM!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 7, 2010 at 9:25 am

What’s amazing about actually eating fat is that a smaller amount of the same thing goes so much farther (further?) 1 tsp of butter makes a whole batch of scrambled eggs taste great and be more satisfying, therefore i eat less. The result? Lost weight :)

balancejoyanddelicias February 7, 2010 at 9:30 am

I agree, natural fat is great! I’ve been adding coconut oil on my baking goodies and it smells sooo good. oh… and tahini for stir-fry is the best combo I’ve ever tried! :D

Hallie February 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

You know, in reading blogs that are on the “fat” bandwagon, and looking at my diet and dry skin etc., I realized just how ingrained in me the “fear of fat” I was for so long. I’m trying to add more fat in my diet now, and sometimes the “oh no too many calories!” fear sneaks up on me. It’s all trial an error, but I definitely think more healthy fat in our diets certainly can’t be a bad thing :-)

Hallie February 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

ugh all kinds of typos in that post. I think I need to go back to bed…

Danielle February 7, 2010 at 9:53 am

Omg where can I find this nut-butter fairy? The chocolate-almond nut butter is taunting me :)

I completely agree- don’t fear the fat! I think “RDAs and DRIs” are a good starting point for some things…but when it comes to fat I think it’s bogus

kettlebelllove February 7, 2010 at 9:56 am

Definitely friend. I avoid vegetable fats and some seed oils, just as you said. I use lots of unrefined coconut oil, EV olive oil (not for cooking) , avocados, nut butters, nuts and seeds.

Since the introduction of low-fat, high carb eating, obesity and diabetes in this country have skyrocketed. It was never an effective solution for good health. I predict a big paradigm shift is coming as more and more people realize that good fats are just that. Good.

Diana February 7, 2010 at 9:57 am

What a lovely collection of nut butters! My measly collection of 3 seems so small now. lol

and pancake oreos…yum! :)

thedelicateplace February 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

glad to see this post! i really don’t understand the people eating sugar free, fat free everything and avoiding the full fat items! fat=satiety=less chance for over indulging in the long run! eat real food and listen to your body! it really is the key to a happier, healthier you :) p.s. i despise those 100cal packs, it still is a cookie kiddos ;p

Goldie February 7, 2010 at 10:12 am

Love it! Great post. I read it while eating my nut butter in porridge. nom nom nom. Would you do a post about walking? I am a walking lover and i read in your post about you and your weight loss that part of it was simply down to more walking. Absolutely amazing! I’ve done 25 miles of planned walking for exercise this week and including non planned exercise probably 35-40miles. I love it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Goldie, Post about walking. Good idea!

Carbzilla February 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

At first I thought the chocolate caramel turtles were called Tortures, and I thought “That’s odd.”

In my diet tweaking, I seem to be heading more HEABS with less fruit and more fat (yesterday was at least 45% and I hadn’t even calculated dinner). Interesting about the raised good cholesterols since I just heard mine were low!

Hope you have a great, though long, day.

caronae February 7, 2010 at 10:31 am

The nut butter fairy is my favorite fairy :)
I just got some coconut oil and used it this weekend. So glad I did my friend. It’s wonderful!

plamarie February 7, 2010 at 10:44 am

You got it! The way nature intended us to eat. Last summer I picked up Nina Planck” book, Real Food. This is exactly what it talks about. I must admit I have only read the first few chapters, as I am famous for slow reading a handful of books. :o I need to finish it! You should check it out.
Have fun in massage class. I remember doing those. I would wake up, not wanting to go, then always loved it and was glad I did. Darn CEU’s! (I used to me an LMT)

kathleen February 7, 2010 at 10:52 am

just about everything you said in your post made me think of the book “nourishing traditions” by sally fallon. i think you would enjoy it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Kathleen, Yes, Nourishing Traditions is on my to-read list!!!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 7, 2010 at 11:02 am

Love it- and love my fats! My parents always cook with real butter or olive oil or even bacon grease (well when it’s needed, not alll the time) and when all the low-fat stuff was popular, I was confused how we were all so healthy and not overweight if we weren’t supposed to eat all that stuff. Taking biochem was really interesting to because we learned about the metabolism of all the macronutrients and they are all so necessary or your body starts malfunctioning. Oh and another huge misconception that irks me: dietary cholesterol doesn’t equal blood cholesterol, so eat your egg yolks!

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

Totally agree with the nature fat!! So many generations before us live long and strong, we shouldn’t go against the fat provide by the nature. Instead, we should cut down the processed food :-D My grandma eats all kinds of meat, and her skin (at 76) still looks awesome – NO obvious wrinkles and so smooth!! amazing.

Claudia February 7, 2010 at 11:10 am

Mmmm. Peanut butter. I love me some fats. Especially nut butters, and honey dijon dressing, and whatever fat that’s in ice cream and… NOMzzzz… Fat is delicious. And your pancakes look delicious too. ♥

Ameena February 7, 2010 at 11:13 am

I totally agree with this post, especially after I read French Women Don’t Get Fat. How can we fear butter but not chemicals? It made so much sense to me!

Erica February 7, 2010 at 11:18 am

ughhh our WFs doesn’t carry the jars of Justin’s either! I’ve written them a few emails asking that they force our WFs to carry them haha. What a fun nut butter morning :) I hope your class goes well. Always fun to learn new things. Hope you and CD are doing well!

mrssturgis February 7, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m still a little scared of fat. Mostly because of the concentrated amount of calories, and I’m on a weight-loss plan. I think once I get to my goal weight I’ll be more liberal with them, because I love my nut butters, avos, and coconut.

theprocessofhealing February 7, 2010 at 11:34 am

Um pancake oreos must be the bomb. For real.

As for the fats, I agree with you but i’m also slightly scared of them myself. But I think it is SO much better to use real things like real butter than fake/processed “buttery products.” Um, that’s not normal. Eating the way nature intended is very wise and I think that the changes you report are very intriguing.

April February 7, 2010 at 11:36 am

About 15 years ago I was on the fat free kick…you know, bread, rice, pasta diet. I’ve come along way getting over that mindset. Now I don’t eat unless there is a healthy fat in my meal.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 7, 2010 at 11:45 am

You are so right about fats, but they have to be the right fats! The fat free (snack packs) have become such a marketing ploy since you still get all the bad stuff in them! Not to mention, portion sizes (on meals) have gotten so out of control that these companies are preying on people that need to lose weight, by telling them they need all kinds of artificial low fat products. You can eat so much more when you eat fresh food with the good fats! You feel better and look better! Thanks for saying “writing” it out loud!

EE February 7, 2010 at 11:46 am

Fat’s good, but too much fat leads to steatorrhea . . . of course, that takes a lot more fat (Biggest Loser-style portions) than you or I mean, and I really just wanted to write that word because I think it’s weird.

Have a great day!

candice February 7, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hahaha, “Tortuzes” ;) I can’t get jars of Justin’s here, either! I think I’ll have to make my own maple almond butter… ;)

Abby February 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Fabulous package!!! O yeah, as I stated before, I used to fear fats but then I lost my hair, my nails were brittle and I was pissy ALL the time..lol. Bring em on!

Happy weekend! :)

foodcents February 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

The low-fat mesage made us fat…….. so much truth!!!

In reality, full fat dairy is in it’s most natural form, something like skim-milk is rather processed.

Butter is great, a reasonable amount goes a long way!!!

I don’t understand why so many people eat just the egg whites, missing so many vitamins and the yolk helps to make you much more satisfied.

fitandfortysomething February 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

You are sooooo lucky to get all those buttas……Yum!

fartygirl February 7, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Carbzy – I totally thought they were called tortures, too! :)

Lisa February 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I love my fats and feel WAY better with quite a lot of them in my diet! I eat lots of nut butter every day, and a lot of olive oil. Plus full-fat dairy (except milk, because I prefer skim…just based on taste.)

Jess February 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Wow what amazing packages! Love all the nut butter :D I completely agree with you–EAT THE YOLK :)
<3 jess
xoxo

Run Sarah February 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Great post Heather. I know a huge flaw in my diet is the lack of fat – I think I get a reasonable amount of protein in (I calculate every once in awhile to make sure!) but I find it hard to digest high fat foods (creams, certain meats, etc) so I am working to find foods that agree well with me!

Katie February 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Can’t comment, must eat fat…

Jen February 7, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Love fat! Love nut butters and avocado. I used to have problems with dairy but now I only drink/eat raw milk, butter, cream, yogurt, kefir and Pima.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Jen, what is Pima?

Lindsay February 7, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Heather, you know I love this post. I hereby suggest every Sunday to be Saturated Fat Sunday :-D I refuse to eat skim milk dairy (especially skim milk cheese…ummmm ew) and just love the texture and flavour so much more with that extra bit of fat. Thanks for helping me to feel less like an outcast in blogland. Keep rocking the fat!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Lindsay, Saturated Fat Sunday every week? Done. However, everyday is saturated fat day for me. You too I think. :)

The Pancake Girl February 7, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I love Justin’s nutbutters!! Those packets are super cute.

Jenn (eating bender) February 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm

You may or may not have more of those nut butter packets coming your way :) Just sayin’! I thought they’d be a good idea and I’m glad to see that you most definitely like them!

I love your pancake Oreo! That is sensational. I agree with you on fats — ever since I started eating more of all kinds, my skin, hair and nails have never looked so healthy.

I could not agree more that fats are friends, not foes. Thanks for calling attention to such an important topic!

Love ya, HEAB! Talk to you soon!

Trail (Oven Aversion) February 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Pancake oreos… oh wow! I’m definitely drooling over that incredible picture!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm

OMG so many links in this post-your poor fingers must be exhausted! :-)

Justin. Sigh. Pitter patter. Sigh. Sigh. Buh bye Lara. Sigh.

Fat-friend or foe. Yes is the answer. I feared it for so many years so I feel very good about letting it back into my life in the last year- both sat and unsat. But HEABS, honestly, throwing away the egg white? that’s cruelty to orbs. Send them my way :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Deb, I didn’t throw away the egg white – I whipped it and folded it back into batter. :)

Michal February 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I think you have out done yourself Heather those look amazing! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 7, 2010 at 6:21 pm

The choc crepe thingeys look phenomenal! If only eggs and I got along. Oh well.

So fat. I wrote in a post the other day, and I even linked you :) “Do Not Fear the Fat”…This girl, this girl, this girl don’t. You, Gena, and Katie and then I had a picture of coconut oil. Anyway, I know you love your full fat stuff and think it’s awesome that you have totally found your dietary path and what works the best :)

Gracie February 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm

All I can say about your views on saturated fat is YES, YES, YES!! 100% with you.

Jaya February 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Awesome post Heather. I think that a lot of people can’t disconnect structural from dietary fat, and unfortunately miss out on some of nature’s best candy! Even at the height of my food issues, I could never quite see fat as the bad guy.. but I think it had something to do with eating homemade yogurt and ghee at almost every dinner. THANKS MOM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Jaya, Your mama was a wise woman. :)

vanessa February 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I’ll mention this book yet again: Nourishing Traditions! It has seriously changed my life. Scoff all you want, vegans, but after about 8 years of being one I have started to add fish and full-fat dairy back into my diet and seen and felt nothing but improvements. I’m not saying that animal products are good for everyone – just that lack of them aren’t always appropriate either. Personally, I’m in recovery from an eating disorder and am still extremely underweight; after learning about “building” vs. “cleansing” phases, I understand why my body is screaming for some heavy-duty fat and protein. While I do believe that one’s needs for these nutrients can be more than adequately met by plant sources, I can also say from experience that for certain people and situtuations, it is not ideal. Perhaps in the future I will return to veganism, but I know in my heart that right now it’s important for me to honour my body’s cravings for animal products. Hooray for fats! (Plant ones too ;) . )

yogiclarebear February 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm

oh heather i cant wait to hear what you think of futters! i adore. ADORE! the best nut butters ever.

enjoy, what a nice gift!

Lara February 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm

You and Deb aren’t going to make me fight you for Justin, are you? Awww, man!

Seriously. SWOON.

I have never really been one to fear fat, either. I see nut butters and avocados all around blog world, but rarely saturated fats like egg yolks and buttah…even red meat…all of which I embrace within reason :)

eatmovelove February 8, 2010 at 6:36 am

I’ve only been reading for awhile – how long have you had the pancake tradition?? Does CD partake as well?
I love butter as well – but also use oils…never heard of coconut oil! But use canola, olive, whatever…are you “not” for those? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 8, 2010 at 7:56 am

EatMoveLove, This blog post summarizes why I am not a fan of vegetable oils: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/22/fats-and-oils.html. I started eating protein pancakes last year and have loved them ever since. I think the pancake Sunday tradition began with this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/11/02/pancakes-a-stevia-giveaway/. CD is not a huge fan of pancakes, but he always insists on at least one bite. :)

Meggilizz February 8, 2010 at 7:19 am

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Saturated fats are NOT THE DEVIL!!! I’m so glad that blog world is starting to see this. I did Paleo/Primal Balance (from Mark’s Daily Apple) this summer and we ate mainly meat, fat & veggies. It was awesome!

I really wish more people will see that it’s not fat that is making us fat, but the diabetes-causing agents in ‘bad’ carby foods (bread, sugar, etc.)

charlotte February 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

It’s funny but some saturated fats are easier for me to embrace than others. For instance I’m all about the full-fat yogurt now. I use butter most of the time. But I still can’t do whole milk for some reason

Lola February 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

Preach it sista!!! I wish people wouldn’t fear the fats! The whole fat-free craze made Americans MORE fat! You know I love them too :-)
How is the addition of cream cheese and cream working for ya? I know you weren’t a fan of dairy before because of how it made you feel after but I see you adding these in so I’m *hoping* they are doing alright for ya :-) Yayyyy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 8, 2010 at 9:46 am

Lola, The higher fat dairy products don’t seem to bother me. No problems yet anyway, but I plan to stay away from yogurt and cottage cheese. Even the full fat versions are still high in protein.

DiningAndDishing February 8, 2010 at 11:14 am

totally agree with you about fats, heather. i am 100% for eating foods the way nature made them. when we satisfy our bodies with the fat they need i think overeating is not even desirable. it’s only when we deprive by eating “fake” food that we cannot seem to reach a level of satisfaction and fullness.

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Rachel A February 8, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Yay for fats! If you haven’t read Real Food by Nina Planck, you should. She talks a lot about fats and why they are so good for you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Rachel, another reader recommended Nina Planck as well. It’s on my to-read list which is getting way too loooonnnnggg. ;)

lpskins February 9, 2010 at 8:32 pm

That pancake oreo made me want a whoopee pie. Damn you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Ipskins, Hehe – sorry! ;)

kristilyn February 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I agree – people should eat actual FOOD! I applaud your efforts. :-)

K

laura February 11, 2010 at 3:28 am

love this post! im so glad a successful food blogger has talked about saturated fats the way i always talk about them=) about how they are beneficial and all the “evidence” that it causes heart disease isnt actually there if you look into it! Im another reader strongly recommending “Nourishing Traditions” as well, it is one of my favorites! And it looks big but its not, its mostly recipes. The good info is just tucked in between them.

Casey February 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

Hi Heather! I love health/food blogs, and just came across yours and added it to my Google Reader, which loads in all posts for about two weeks as “new” posts when you first add a feed. So I was tracking through your posts for the past few weeks and came upon this one (explaining why I’m such a later commenter)! I was wanted to thank you, and your friend, for that little epiphany. Wow. ‘The way natured intended us to eat.’ Love it. I read a book called “Intuitive Eating” almost a year ago now and since them have been working hard to remediate years of ‘disordered eating’ behavior and ingrained food policing, good vs. bad food habits. This has been a long, but not discouraging, process because very frequently I have mini-epiphanies which help me along my way. And this was one of them. I fully embrace “real foods” but sub-consciously still fight against “bad” real foods. It is so lovely to have one more wall in this break down for me when I read that statement. Wow. Full fat dairy? Butter? Acceptable foods? I never would have though so five minutes ago, but I do now, as I want to believe that all foods are acceptable and good and delicious, especially the “real” ones. Thank you for helping me break down one more of my many, many walls! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Casey, Wow, thank you for the comment. So glad you found me. I’m still breaking through some walls myself, but it sounds like we’re both on a good path if you ask me. Stay on it my friend!

Hilal Ahmad Punoo January 13, 2011 at 4:54 am

I’m so glad that blog world is starting to see this.
I think it is important to talk about FAT.
All fats are not bad, but too much fat leads to heartailments.
People should eat what nature gives us.
I really wish more people will see that it’s not fat that is making us fat, but the diabetes-causing agents in bread, sugar, etc.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 7:18 am

Hilal,
“People should eat what nature gives us.” I could not agree more!

{ 4 trackbacks }