Miz and HEAB Live

by HEAB on February 9, 2010

Yesterday’s manly breakfast was so satisfying. Y’all, there is really something to this whole saturated fat thing. I had no cravings all morning which is so unlike me. CD has been trying to get me to eat more animal fats for years…CD, I’m typing it for everyone to see: You were right. After a 90 minute vinyasa yoga class, lunch was similar to breakfast with the addition of some Swiss chard and a chopped onion cooked with 1 slice bacon and 2 eggs. Yes, I ate 4 whole eggs yesterday. No shame. After lunch, I made chocolate avocado pudding (whole small avocado blended with water, cocoa powder, and stevia), and dinner was a stir-fry  with ghee and Humnut/tahini sauce. I finally had my carbs around 8 PM. I know, a huge no-no for most people, but I like carbs before I go to bed. Mmmm, chocolate oat bran topped with whipped cream cheese. I am obsessed with Trader Joe’s full fat whipped cream cheese. Buy some now!

Floored by how satiated I felt all day yesterday, I woke up with eggs and bacon on the brain, but this morning, I added a feminine touch. :)

Looks like melted Velveeta, no? Well, it wasn’t. I made Katie’s Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Sauce with the addition of 1 spoonful of cream cheese (told you I was obsessed) So good Katie, and you were totally right about the dry mustard. It added such a nice savory kick. Speaking of Katie, did you guys know she is an amazing seamstress? Click here to check out her new Etsy Store, KatieJoSews . I want this skirt!!!!

As you read last week, I finally got to meet Mizfit, one of my blogging heroes.

Before I started reading food blogs, I only had 4 blogs in my Google Reader. Oh my, how that list has grown. ;) Everyday, I read Mizfit, Mark’s Daily Apple, Evolutionary Fitness (which is now by subscription only. What the heck Art?), and The Great Fitness Experiment. I think I actually discovered food blogs when Miz linked to Kath one day. Anyway, HEAB would probably not even be in existence if it weren’t for Miz, and meeting her was so much fun. She is completely down to earth and totally hilarious, and together we tried sardines for the first time. Oh yes, we did, but you’ll have to click here to enjoy it live because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to embed a video using Ecto. Need to work on that.

So, two questions:

1) Who ate their fat for breakfast this morning and 2) Are you a fan of the sardine?

Kelly February 9, 2010 at 11:25 am

I have never had a sardines…..hum…maybe need to try!

timetochangeme February 9, 2010 at 11:31 am

i had two big scoops of peanut butter on my cream of wheat today! its dorm room dining so of course it was the sugary gross cheap pb but you work with what you got…

Heather-I have a question for you, what do you think of dressing like ranch? I love them and would rather have them full fat but I don’t see you (or many other food bloggers for that matter) eat salad dressings. Is it something I should stay away from? Thanks!
Kayla

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Kayla, I never buy salad dressing because I am not a fan of canola and or soybean oil, which is usually the first ingredient listed in store bought dressings. This is why CD and I always make our own at home. However, if I go out to eat, I always order full fat dressings on the side with my salads. My advice to you is eat the ranch if you love it. Just stick to full fat. Most lighter versions replace the fat with sugar and sodium. If I do buy dressings, it usually Annie’s or Trader Joe’s Goddess.

Carolyn February 9, 2010 at 11:32 am

1)ME..ME..ME..ME..ME!!!!
2) no

Carolyn February 9, 2010 at 11:34 am

Second attempt…

1) Me..Me…Me… Me…

2)no

melissa @ the delicate place February 9, 2010 at 11:40 am

i had 1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, some baby carrots and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast this morning. and omg get out of my head! i just bought tinned sardines (boneless and skinless in water) last night! i like the ones in water because i prefer to add EVOO on my own-i love the taste of this EVOO i buy in a litre jug and it’s opaque to prevent it from going rancid too soon.

foodcents February 9, 2010 at 11:41 am

Had some nut butter this morning, thinking a satisfying fatty lunch is in the works. Fat & Veggies, so versatile and sooooo tasty.

Have not consumed a whole sardine, only in salad dressings.

kristy February 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

I had a (typical) smoothie w/coconut oil & Trader Joe’s new almond butter with roasted flaxseeds. It tasted very weird. Can’t say I’m a fan of the flax in there, and it seems so salty. The amount of salt on the nutrition info is low, though…maybe it’s the ‘roastedness’ of the flax?
I’ve been having your breakfast for dinner lately…omelets every night! Since I have a snow day today, I think I’ll go to TJ’s & get some of that cream cheese. All this time I thought you were whipping it, but it sounds like it comes that way (?).

And sardines…BLEH! No thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 11:52 am

Kristy, Yes, the cream cheese comes whipped. Put it in your omelet tonight. So delicious!

eatmovelove February 9, 2010 at 11:59 am

I had whipped cream cheese last night…but it was Betty Crocker :( ….not TJ’s – which I’m pretty sure doesn’t contain half the ingredients I consumed…such is life :0….how would you make your whipped or what does TJ’s do with theirs?? ingredient wise? …not that I’m kicking out Betty…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Eatmovelove, I think TJ’s simply whips air into their cream cheese. The ingredients are as follows: Pasteurized milk and cream, cheese cultures, salt, and stabalizers (carbo bean and or guar gums).

Lara (Thinspired) February 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I love hearing about how blogs got started :)
Such a cute picture of you and Carla! I heart you both.
Just read yesterday’s post…whipped cheese on eggs?! YUM! My breakfast tastes usually lean toward sweet, unless I’ve had one too many glasses of wine the night before ;) Then for some reason, I want savory. Maybe I’ll test your theory and see if savory puts off the sweet tooth…
1) I had walnuts in my oats this morning!
2) I would say no, but honestly, I don’t think I have ever tried them!

gina (fitnessista) February 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm

1) i had my fat for lunch and it was glorious
2) NOOOOOO! if mix asked me to eat anything though, i’d probably do it ;)
hope you’re having a wonderful week!
xoxo

Abbey February 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Heather, omg. Totally unrelated to this post but I finally roasted a kabocha this morning on parchment and I am counting down until lunchtime when I can stuff it into my mouth! I tried a piece and I am freaking in love, maybe it’s even better than my beloved butternut. Whew….amazing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Abbey, I love kabocha. In my opinion, sweeter and a better texture than butternut. However, the last 2 kabochas I bought weren’t ripe. :( Enjoy your fries at lunch!

Julie Salzmann February 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Hey Heather-
to add to Abbey (above)’s post, I also did the roasted Kabocha chips and I too, am in love. WOW. I love them plain and crunchy. Could eat a whole one for dinner! Also, I had my veggies stir fried with bacon for lunch (also added 4 oz of lean sirloin to it) and it almost seems crazy that it’s good for you! It tastes so great! My question to you is, the whipped cream cheese-doesnt’ that have alot of sugar in it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Julie, The cream cheese is just full fat cream cheese with air whipped into it. It’s not frosting. :)

Mallory February 9, 2010 at 12:44 pm

i had a bananas. and an avocado. (not together, silly) i was craving both, so that’s what i had…
and nope, haven’t tried sardines – but i do believe ms. Kath has tried the mustard ones mashed up on a sammie? i could be making that up, but i feel like she tried that awhile ago…

also – sugar question for you. the more i see your new posts/stalk your blog archives/notice how sugar makes me crave more sweets i’m thinking that a sugar reduction should happen in my dietary future here soon. can you direct me to any posts where you discuss how you did this and what kinds of things worked for you (cold turkey, only eat “fruit”/natural sugar, etc.)? or if you haven’t posted on that yet, maybe a sugar detox type post soon? don’t mean to put you on the spot here, but you seem to have a lot of experience with it.

p.s. finally did try the kabocha + cocoa mush. it was sooooo good. kudos to you and your ugly foods, heab. they never fail me :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Mallory, So happy to hear you enjoyed your kabocha turd. :) I basically went off sugar cold turkey back when I started losing weight. I didn’t touch the stuff for 3 years, but then I started running. That’s when sugar crept back into my diet, mainly in the form of ice-cream. Oops. When I stopped running, I pretty much cut sugar out of my life again. I use maple syrup sometimes, but not very often. Our bodies react to all natural sweeteners the same way they do to refined white table sugar, and that “healthy” raw agave is nothing but fructose. My advice is to limit it all. You might find the following posts helpful, and if you have any other questions, please email me.

http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/06/28/heabs-weight-loss-advice/ http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/07/02/say-no-to-sugar/ http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/09/02/i-dont-do-moderation/

Angela February 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I loved sardine as a kid! My Dad and I would eat them straight out of the can or on crackers. I haven’t had them in so long!

Katie February 9, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the links, heather! Glad you liked the pumpkin sauce. I am sure it was even better with the cream cheese. In fact, I got the idea for it from my mom’s pumpkin dip recipe which includes cream cheese but is much sweeter.

I watched that video on Miz’s blog this am, and laughed out loud at your faces. I don’t think I would have been up for the challenge. Something about eating bones and all doesn’t sit well with me.

To answer your questions:
1. I ate some ABU on top of kabocha puree for breakfast
2. Don’t know. Don’t want to find out!

Margie February 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I eat eggs A LOT(usually 2-4 on most days). I had a big omelette this morning with 3 eggs. I love sardines, because I grew up on them. I just had a can last week with tomato sauce, spinach, peas, and onions all mixed together on top of brown rice. YUMMM!

Chrysta February 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hey hon! Great eats! I’ll ave to look for that cream cheese next time Im at TJs. I think adding more fat really does help with satisfying hunger more. I always eat Fage 0% with my oatmeal in the morning but Im finding that Im hungry by like 11. I wonder if just eating the regular or 2% would help out with this a bit more? Really interesting! I do love eggs too. I eat them for lunch or dinner. Adding some pumpkin sauce sounds amazing! I like sardines..although im careful about how much. They can be a bit overpowering. But I love the flavor they add. Have a fantastic day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Chrysta, Yes, try the 2% Fage or a dollop of the Total Fage. Lovely dose of fat. However, I must say the Total Fage is a lot higher in calories, but that fat makes a little go a long way. I miss that stuff. Too high in dair proteins for me.

Sarah February 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

i had a basic this morning: quick oats, banana, PB, and chia seeds :) it always satisfies my sweet tooth.

pure balsamic vinegar mixed with hummus is a great salad dressing. if i want a mexican flavor, i love to use salsa. i call it my mexican fiesta salad!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Sarah, GREAT idea for the dressing.

Cherie February 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

2 hard boiled eggs for me this morning!! I also got the light whipped cream cheese at Trader Joe’s yesterday. Bummer. I should have went full fat.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Cherie, Yes, full fat is the way to go!

Jen February 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Breakfast:
Ground Buffalo (6oz), Loads of Spinach, Homemade Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette, and a HUMONGOUS blob of homemade guacamole…lots of good FAT and sooo good!!!

Sardines…LOVE them!!! I ate them (grilled with sea, olive oil, and lemon) almost daily on our last trip to Italy. My husband’s family didn’t share my enthusiasm, so I ate their share, as well. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Damn Jen, I’m coming over for breakfast tomorrow. I’ll bring the sardines. :)

Veggiesmack February 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

This morning I went savory and had veggie bacon and a tofu scramble for breakfast. The scramble wasn’t my best work, but it was still pretty good. I definitely need to go savory for breakfast more often. I also need to pick up some avocados and rock the healthy fats.

And no, not a fan of sardines.

DiningAndDishing February 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I had two scoops of AB on my oats this morning…I think that counts :)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Nicole February 9, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Hi Heather!
I actually had some fat this morning for breakfast too. I made 2 whole eggs with a little bit of milk, cooked in butter and made a breakfast burrito with it. To be honest I’ve been feeling bloated after my breakfast full of oats and like you have said before, after eating a pretty high calorie breakfast full of oats/PB/coconut/flax etc. I was still craving stuff afterward. The problem with eggs is that I never felt satiated with them, and I was always hungry an hour later. But this time it worked and I felt great all morning! I did have a handful of macadamia nuts after breakfast and I was good to go for about 4 hours. I still need to figure out how to get over the mid-day munchy attack. I had steamed stir-fry veggies and steamed shrimp for lunch with coconut butter and a piece of Ezekiel toast with PB on it for my PB fix (I’m addicted) But I was still craving something about an hour later…like Amy’s Pita Chips?? lol
Are you feeling like it’s OK to have some of those high fats at every meal? Just wondering what you think. Maybe that will help my cravings? I just don’t want to overdo it..this is all a new way of thinking for me.

RE: Sardines….I hate them. When I was a kid, my dad used to force me to eat them. When HE was a kid, his family was very poor, so he had to eat what they could afford. With sardines being cheap and so good for you, his mother used to make sardines with white rice and beans, and it was a staple for them. So he felt it was important for us to eat too. But I haven’t eaten them in years…they bring back baaaaad memories!

You rock!! <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Hey Nicole, Your breakfast and lunch both sounded great to me, and yes, there is nothing wrong with fats at every meal…at least for me. Fats are a must every time I sit down to eat.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I had fat for breakfast!!! :) In the form of cheese.

And I never ate a sardine, but I’m not against trying.

The Brunette February 9, 2010 at 2:31 pm

After spreading cream cheese on an apple yesterday, I have decided to fully embrace the stuff. My mom has been telling me much the same thing that CD has been telling you, and I’m finally start to agree with her. Too bad I was in the dark for so long (although, it gave me a chance to further cultivate a love of nut butter, so I guess it’s not all bad). I’ve been experimenting with ways of incorporating eggs into more meals, and it is working DELICIOUSLY! I’m still craving sweet things occasionally, but the fat thing is definitely beneficial in so many ways. Thanks for not being afraid to embrace saturated fat and touting the benefits to give the rest of us the courage to do the same!!!

Chandra February 9, 2010 at 2:39 pm

1) yes – 2 eggs with spinach & parmesan cheese on top with PB toast

2) no – and I’ve never tried them but I just can’t stomach the thought so my answer remains…no!

Erin February 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Never had a sardine on its own before, but in a recipe, probably. I love your expression in the video. You look scared!

eaternotarunner February 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Definitely a sardine fan…yum.

beth February 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I jus told the BF this morning that he needed to have some fat for breakfast, not just toast, or he’d starve by lunch. That English boy thinks toast and jam is all that makes the world go round’! I had almond butter on my oats and lunch was a big spinach salad with hummus, feta and tuna mixed with balsamic. Yum. But, i kinda want some bacon after reading your posts!

Cat February 9, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Right now I’m eating porridge with almond butter. I eat close to 1/2 my calories in the first few hours of waking and I find that keeps me happy. On the weekends when I have more time I have eggs.

I love sardines.

Sarah Ikegami February 9, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Bananas sauteed in coconut oil, yum! I actually like sardines, but I have never just popped a can and eaten them on their own, they have been pureed into a dip of some sort :)

April February 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I ate my fats…flax oil, not as fun :)

I don’t think i’ve ever had sardines?? Not on purpose anyway.

Anna February 9, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Mmmmm…before I went veg, I loved sardines!! I liked making a salad out of them, a la tuna :-)

That whipped cream looks nothing less than amazing!! You definitely make a good case for jumping on the “full fat” train!

balancejoyanddelicias February 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I had a full load of flax meal fat for breakfast… and then another for lunch!!! I dunno… stressful day can only be cured by fat and carbs :D

Olga February 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I only tried out sardines recently, after reading in the NYT about how they are one of the best health foods out there, and I loved ‘em!

Heather February 9, 2010 at 3:02 pm

oh oh, i had fat for bfast :) not sure about sardines…i think i’d rather cook with them as a flavor component rather than eat them plain…

sarah @ syrupandhoney February 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I love that you eat fat, especially for breakfast. I’ve never understood how some people are able to eat low-fat all day and feel satiated…my body just doesn’t work that way! I had avocado, full fat yogurt, and almond butter in my smoothie this morning.

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 9, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Katie’s stuff is so beautiful! I’ve been waiting for her etsy to go up, I can’t wait to find something :-D
J’adore les sardines!! I like strong fish like anchovies and sardines, but they also do some really cool things. if you cook them slowly in a little olive oil over med-low heat for 15+ minutes, they melt into a salty, savory paste that’s the perfect base for a sauce. You’re making me crave them!

Also, they’re really good on bagels with hummus (similar to lox)…
And I made a sardine bruchetta last year for an appetizer. It was chopped sardines, kalamata olive, capers, tomatoes, tons of fresh and roasted garlic, salt, pepper and BASIL. Fer everyone else I melted provolone on top, for mine I just ate it on top of baguette. So good!

I sleep so much better with a little carb-y action too. :-D Screw diet books, bring on the late night cereal!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Gosh Mae, Will you please just come cook for me?!?

Evan Thomas February 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Not enough fat this morning for me. Just a spoonful of PB :-( It was a good one, though.
That’s awesome Miz is who inspired you into blogging. For me, it was tina of carrots n’ cake

homecookedem February 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm

MMMMmmmmmmm, your chocolate oat bran topped with cream cheese looks wonderful!! I ain’t scared of a little late night carb lovin either!! One of my favorite desserts is a bowl of oatbran topped with nut butter. So comforting and my belly appreciates it!

Jaya February 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I had a slice of homemade bread with a thick layer of avocado, raspberry jam (raspberries from my MIL’s backyard), tons of broccoli sprouts and a poached egg with sea salt. Like I’ve said before, I would be totally willing to wash my face with a nice, fat-rich meal!
I’ve been afraid of sardines my whole life. If you can give me a reason to defeat my irrational fear, then I beseech thee to do it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Jaya, The sardines weren’t that bad, and they’re a great source of Omega 3′s. I’d eat them again. :)

Heather February 9, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Back in 2001 I battled a bout of constipation for 3 months. I was barely eating 20 grams of fat a day, and my hubby also insisted my constipation was due to a lack of fat in my diet.
I started increasing my fat intake and have been UBER-regular ever since! LOL!
Anyway, yes, I’ll put mine in writing, too….Honey, you were right!

celestial February 9, 2010 at 3:57 pm

bfast was oats as usual, lots of cinnamon and a spoonful of hemphearts, mmmlove. midmorning snack was a raw nut/date ball&almond butter and lunch involved a veg wrap with lots of guac and goat yogurt, so I had a bit of fat happening all day long. and yknow I stood in front of the sardines at the health food store today, contemplating for many minutes. I just couldnt think of what I would do with them so the little fishies did not swim home with me… maybe next time!

Jillian February 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I had my fats for my lunch! Left over HEAB stir-fry veggies (from last night) with a mix of tahini and greek yogurt (oooh so good!). Thick, cream cheese type texture. I am testing greek yogurt today…so far so good!…except a few expected sniffles and a stuffed up nose for a brief moment. Hope your day is grand! Our last NUT meeting is tonight:(.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm

the whipped cream cheese. OMG that looks so good. It’s really not good for me to dabble with it though, vegan thing aside, it’s a GI thing for me :(

Katie sent Skylar bday gift and it’s soooo cute! And it’s awesome you mentioned her; I ve been reading her blog for awhile and she’s such a doll :)

Have a great rest of your day, Heather!
xoxo

rebecca lustig February 9, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Truth be told, sometimes I enjoy sardines. And anchovies (on pizza)

Stay warm, lovely lady!
bec xo

Paula February 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Yes, melted sharp cheddar in a toasted pita. ;-) sardines….eh. But the hubz loves them like crazy. The ones in mustard sauce!

N.D. February 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

very interesting on the sat fat – Iwill have to try this somehow. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cream cheese.

Michelle February 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm

1. Yes! Almond butter on my oatbran! And I have you to thank for not worrying about how much I plop on anymore. Just so you know. :)

2. Sardines. I was definitely skeptical at first, and sure enough, just tried them about a year ago. I really liked them! I bought some at TJ’s by Brunswick, no salt added, packed in water only. I drained them, and then smooshed them all up in the tin (I read to do that somewhere–looking at the whole fish was a little wierd). I added a bit of mustard to them and ate them on my veggie salad for lunch. I really actually liked the flavor, and it kept me full for hours! Let me know if you have any questions. Great source of omegas and calcium.

Question: I saw you mentioned getting a squash that wasn’t ripe yet. I think that happened to me last weekend–my kabocha didn’t taste all that great. Is there a way to tell if it’s not ripe before cutting into it? If it isn’t ripe, and I’ve already cut into it, is there anything I can do at that point? Will it continue to ripen if I leave it in the fridge for a bit? Any ideas? Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Michelle, If I cut into a kabocha squash, and it’s really lite in color, then I know it’s not ripe. I never make it into fries. They won’t taste good. So, go ahead and roast it, and then either puree it with stevia & cinnamon or use it a soup instead. The super dark green kabochas are usually the ones that give me trouble. I have better look with the ones with paler skin and huge orange blotches. I don’t think the squash will ripen in the fridge once you’ve cut it open. Such a bummer! Thanks for the sardine tips. I like the thought of smooshing them up – looking at the little fishes was kind of unappetizing.

The Pancake Girl February 9, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I had peanut butter in my cereal- does that count? :) And nooo on the sardines!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Pancake Girl, yes PB counts. :)

adrienmelaine February 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Do croissants count as eating fat for breakfast?! I had two! hahah

Good times being a health professional! Love that you’re into the fats!

Maggie February 9, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Butter in my steel cut oats :D

Yes, Bobby has been saying I need to eat more animals. He probably IS right.

I really have to go get this cream cheese you keep raving about.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Maggie, Saturated fats are key…listen to Bobby!!! We need to chat about this soon.

Danielle February 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm

1.) I had a big ol’ pile of coconut for bfast. Fat? Check :)
2.) Sardines = blechhhhhh. (Not cuz’ I’m vegan though. I’ve never been a fan of things from the sea!)

Run Sarah February 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Pb was my am fat! My mom loves sardines but I couldn’t never stomach them!

abbynormally February 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I had Almond Butter on my oats this morning!!!!!!

Colleen Cameron February 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Hey HEAB! Have you ever seen Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs? The whole town is based around Sardines and they decide that “Sardines are super gross!”

Also, I wanted to ask you a question! Over the past few months I’ve been following you (I think it’s been 6 or 7?) I’ve noticed an evolution in your diet, from what I understand this is for hormone imbalance (and various other) reasons, but I wondered if you could elaborate? What were/weren’t you getting enough/too much of? How have you noticed a change in your body since changing your eating regiment (I read that you noticed your skin was more luminous and you have lost an inch!)? How did you come about this knowledge that your body needed more (blank)? How does this regiment work for you?

Thank you Heather, you’re the best!
Colleen

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Colleen, Haha – no, never seen Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, but I think Mizfit would especially like it. She was NOT a fan of the sardines.

Um, let’s see…yes, my diet has changed quite a bit. My hormones have been out of balance ever since I lost weight 10 years ago. I am at a healthy weight, and don’t overexercise, but my body does not produce enough estrogen on its own. I have seen several doctors over the years, and all of them but one have suggested I take birth control to regulate my cycle. Um, no thanks. I want to figure out the root of the problem as I would like to have children someday. To all you girls out there with irregular cycles, the pill is simply a band-aid fix, and you know what? When you go off of the pill, your period probably still won’t be there. Anyway, after having all sorts of tests done (thyroid, ultrasounds, hormone panels – you name it, I’ve had it done), I decided to revamp my diet to see if that would help since nothing else was working (supplements, bio-identical hormone therapy). I’d read that many women who are insulin resistant (that would be me) should follow more of a primal diet. So, I went high protein back in November. Yeah, that was a bad idea. I gained weight, and it helped nada with my hormone levels. So, CD and I did more research looking back at my dieting history. I always gain weight when I up my protein, but I seem to do okay with fats. Then I read this post and something clicked: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/27/how-to-lose-weight.html. My body didn’t need more protein. It needed more fat. I’d never really feared fat, but my main source of fat for the past several years has been nuts and seeds, and I decided to try adding more animal fat to my diet to see how my body would react. Well, I dropped back down to my happy weight (135), my dry skin went away ( http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/28/fat-is-our-friend/), and let’s just say that things are flowing quite nicely now. Yep, big fan of the saturated fat. It has done nothing but changed my life for the better. Sorry for the lengthy response, but this way of eating is something I’m really passionate about. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gracie February 9, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I ate *mostly* fat for breakfast. A green monster with avocado (instead of banana) and a piece of organic flax loaf topped with coconut oil.

Katie T February 9, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Heather, you never cease to amaze me. Kudos on being so in tune with what your body needs!
Question about the whole high fat/saturated fat thing: do you think all the positive changes you’ve noticed (increased satiety, healthy skin and hair, etc) are due specifically to your increased intake of SATURATED fats, or just more fats in general? I’m a vegan and LOVE my nut butters, but obviously don’t take in any animal fats. Thoughts on this?
P.S. Kabocha is on the menu for dinner tonight…I’m pumped!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Katie, Hope you enjoy your dinner. :) I have always eaten my fat, but mostly in the form of nut butter and or seeds. Saturated fats have made a world of difference, but yes, they are hard to come by if you’re vegan. Are you a fan of the coconut? Coconut is a great source of saturated fat.

Chelsea Ward February 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm

One of my fondest childhood memories was sitting in my Grandparent’s kitchen, eating sardines on crackers with my Grandpa. He loved seafood, and made it his personal quest to get me to love it as well. I think sardines are tasty little suckers!

My fats for breakfast consisted of peanut butter oats infused with coconut milk. Very satisfying!

That dry mustard on your egg n’ bacon breakfast looks seriously yummy.

Christopher Ian Hill February 9, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Heather,

I have always been a fan of everything with the word “Cream” in it. Ice Cream, Whipped Cream, Cream Cheese, Cream corn, Sour Cream..ect. I would try that Full Fat Whipped Cream Cheese stuff in a second! I can eat everything that you ate today! I think maybe I just need to start finding out where I can buy those ingredients and just try to make something! :)

Chris

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Chris, You keep saying that. Do it!

EE February 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Not a sardine girl, but I do love Etsy. I know those weren’t meant to be connected. Thanks for sharing Katie’s page!

Melissa February 9, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Have you seen this book ? http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Melissa, I have not. Thanks for the link!

Emily February 9, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Heather! I still read your blog every day, even if I’m a bad commenter. :-) I just wanted to say that I love all the posts you’re doing on fat. I’m planning on a big fat-focused post sometime soon.

I definitely loved all the peanut butter in my oats this morning. So good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Emily, HI!!! Would you mind sending me the link to your fat-focused post. Would love to read your opinion my coconut oil lovin friend. :)

Lindsay February 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Yaaayy fat :-) haha. I made coffee the other day and while still half asleep poured what I thought was cream into it.. when my coffee turned only a half shade lighter I looked at the carton and turns out my bf bought fat-free half and half. Who does that?!!? Who takes the fat out of cream?!?! Then I looked at the ingredient list and corn syrup was the second one down. Why people take fat and replace it with sugar I will never understand, fat is not the devil. Anyway, I went out tonight and bought some real cream so that I can have coffee tomorrow morning :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I had flax in my oats this morning! I have had sardines in things, but not alone. I have a hard time eating things that smell bad (fishy)!

As for late night carbs…I eat oats every night for dessert! Totally addicted!

jessica February 9, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I once ate sardines on an island in the middle of a LAKE while camping…because my dad told me that it would keep the bears away!!!…..again…island…lake…probably no bears! I was like 8 :) BUT..it then turned into an inside joke between me and my grandfather (from whom I randomly received cans of sardines from for years after), which made it all worth while. Now if I eat sardines it is because I have become really ambitious and decided to make homemade Caesar dressing, in which I not only eat sardines, but raw eggs as well :)
See ya Monday!

Ashlei February 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Yay for Chard and stir-fried veggies. I love making omelets out of some of my leftovers veggies I haven’t scarfed down from the night before :)

Ashlei February 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Great video by the way! Never had sardines before. Good to know there’s no heads in the tin :P hahaha!

Alice February 9, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I was always really scared to add fat to my food, but since reading your blog (and becoming slightly addicted) I have been letting myself eat more nut butter (YUM!!!) and incorporate more fat in my diet without fear. You have even inspired me to start posting my own daily food diary on my blog!

That pumpkin sauce looks so yummy! Must give it a try!
Alice
xx

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Glad you’re enjoying more fats Alice. That makes me smile, and thanks for reading. :)

Brianne February 9, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Love you!! I’ve been reading blogs for a while and even had my own but just lurk now. I am sooooooo glad you eat the way you do! Yay saturated fat!!! I highly recommend eat fat lose fat and nourishing traditions if you haven’t read them. Coconut oil, butter, eggs, cream, meat and lots of veg… ahhh you are a breath of fresh air in the bloggy world. Cheers.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 10, 2010 at 7:54 am

Thanks Brianne, Yes, Nourishing Traditions – I have requested it from the library, and I looked at Eat Fat Lose Fat’s website last night. Interesting stuff!

the dainty pig February 10, 2010 at 12:39 am

Am totally lovin’ the manly breakfasts, and if i wasn’t allergic to eggs i’d totally be enjoying some right now! I think you are definitely on to something with more fats. They are so important! You rock lady. Thanks for another great post.

Goldie February 10, 2010 at 2:36 am

I love sardines! I had them for dinner last night with some salad cream and tomato puree spread on toast… NOM NOM NOM!!!

I am a bad girl and usually can’t stomach breakfast first thing but I do guzzle coffee with semi skimmed milk! I’m so British!

Nicole February 10, 2010 at 6:26 am

Yes on the sardines – drain the oil, add balsamic vinegar and a little chopped shallot. Mmmmm. As for breakfast – just had my savory oat bran.

Leena @ Bliss Out, Brooklyn February 10, 2010 at 8:07 am

I had my bacon and eggs this morning and — ohhhh my gosh — my stomach is so happy right now. Like you, HEAB, I’ve been doing the higher protein / moderate carb / lower fat thing for a while. It hasn’t been working out all that well. Cravings!

Then I read this article about the Inuit paradox and the so-called “protein ceiling” and decided to give high fat a chance. Today’s day 4 of 40% fat / 35% protein / 25% carb, and I feel such a huge difference already!

Check out the article here, if you’re interested:

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 10, 2010 at 8:15 am

Wow, thanks for the link Leena. Off to read right now. Glad you’re feeling better – me too. :)

Marina February 10, 2010 at 8:08 am

Hey Heather, you really motivated me to include more fats in my diet, tnx!
How often do you eat eggs? For this couple of days, I’ve had an egg a day, and I’m just a bit worried if that’s bad or good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 10, 2010 at 8:15 am

Marina, I eat up to 4 eggs everyday. Don’t fear the egg.

Heather February 10, 2010 at 8:48 am

forgot to answer the questions…
FATS: PEANUT BUTTER, CASHEWS, AVOCADO PUDDING, OLIVE OIL
SARDINES: NO :)

Holly February 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

ALL HAIL FAT! i lurve eggs. like really, really, really LURVE them. they are so friggin’ versatile and CHEAP! i haven’t had a good egg breakfast like that in awhile – things might have to change around here….

miz = guns. what a fab, fit lady!

have a great day!!!

Heather February 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

forgot one….flax seed. all of that was just yesterday. Yes, I love fat. :)

Jan February 10, 2010 at 9:30 am

I had a smoothie this morning with Jay Robb’s strawberry protein powder, 1 cup of yummy frozen berries, 1/2 Tablespoon of flax oil, xanthan gum and agar agar for thickening,and ice and 10 oz of water and a bit of stevia powder because I like my smoothie to taste like a MacDonald’s strawberry milk shake! Here’s my problem: I went out to shovel snow (we live in the DC Metro area and have 30 inches of snow!) and after about an hour I came back in very shaky! I needed, I think, some carbs! So I had a scrambled egg, scrambled in coconut oil of course, and 1/2 of a sweet potato. Feel much better! I’m wondering if that was the problem — I needed carbs for that workout? Any thoughts?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 10, 2010 at 9:57 am

Jan, Probably. If you’re going to work out hard, you need some carbs, and a sweet potato is one of my favorite carbs of choice. Kudos to you for listening to your body. :)

Kriste February 10, 2010 at 11:57 am

Hey Heather! What kind of bacon do you buy?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Kriste, We either buy grass fed bacon from a local farm at the farmer’s market, or we buy the center cut seasoned uncured bacon from Trader Joe’s.

kristilyn February 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm

My husband and I have always been meat eaters, but as of late I just want beans and other sources of protein. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good steak, or a slice of bacon with breakfast, but I have a hard time NOT going overboard which is how I gained 50 pounds. I’ll have to re-learn moderation!

I have never tried sardines, but they scare me! I’ll have to watch your video, but I still have my doubts that I’d ever try one. LOL!

K

Susan February 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Y’all are so cute together!! I got my fat through whole eggs and full fat cheddar cheese :D And sardines are yummy, I swear!! You’re right though, you do need a cracker.

elise February 11, 2010 at 10:26 am

given that it is february (aka heart healthy month) and im a cardiac icu nurse, i feel obligated to comment – i love you HEAB and im glad animal fats are doing great things for your mood/hormones/weight, but please remember that just because you cant SEE your arteries or FEEL the effects of the food you eat, doesnt mean you can/should ignore them…heart disease is a serious problem and diet is one of the main ways to prevent it. just dont want you to forget about your heart health while focusing on the physical aspects of your health that are more obvious. i hope you dont think im preaching, im just passionate about this since i see the outcomes of this on a daily basis at my job!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 11, 2010 at 10:51 am

Thanks for the input Elise. I don’t think you’re preaching at all – just being a good friend. :)

elise February 11, 2010 at 7:58 pm

oh good…because you know i love you and the honesty that you bring to the blogging community is why i (and the rest of us) always come back to read more :)

Bekah February 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

I love the domino effect we all have had in regards to our own blogs and who we read first and whatnot. I honestly cannot remember how I found Kath’s but I know I was reading Eat Like Me first. Aahhh blogging.

You were another one I first started reading and thanks to Miz for getting you to blog! Yahhoooo. :)

Love Katie’s pumpkin sauce and this breakfast!