HEAB Still Eats Carbs

by HEAB on February 12, 2010

People keep asking me if I’m still eating carbs. Yes, I still eat carbs. I’ve done the no oatmeal thing before, and I will NEVER do that again. Honestly, I don’t think our bodies need grains, but you know what? I like them. However, I do get most of my carbs from vegetables, and carbs currently make up about 30% of my daily caloric intake, sometimes more, sometimes less. The past 24 hours? Definitely more!

Yesterday, after munching on some steamed Brussels sprouts with Humnut Sauce, I drizzled a little of my tahini on half of a slow roasted kabocha squash along with a spoonful of Artisana’s coconut butter. I LOVE their coconut butter so much, but I can’t buy it in Nashville. So I’m hoarding every last bite of the jar that Katie sent me. Thanks again so much Katie! This was the perfect ending to my lunch. Brussels + squash = full & happy belly. :)

Charlotte sent me this soup recipe last night, and I decided to make it for breakfast since I’ve had lentils sitting in my cabinet for months. However, I didn’t have apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, or fresh ginger. So, I improvised, and the soup turned out delicious. Really, why don’t I make soup more often?

For the soup, I cooked 1/2 a chopped onion in 1 TBSP Kerrygold butter. I then added 2 cups veggie broth, 1/4 cup lentils, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp paprika, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. I brought everything to a boil, reduced the heat to low, covered my pot, and let everything simmer while I did laundry (OK, while I checked email :) ). After 30 minutes, I poured the cooked lentils into my Vita-Mix and blended them with the other half of my roasted kabocha squash from yesterday and 1/2 packet stevia. I topped my soup with a dollop of goat milk cream cheese, more cinnamon, and throughly enjoyed every last bite. Thank you Charlotte!

OK, now I really do need to go get some laundry done. I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. I have another continuing ed massage therapy class tonight from 5 – 9 PM. So bummed I’m going to miss the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. Enjoy them for me!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

wow, the lentil-mix sounds really good! hope you get to see some part of the opening ceremonies…they’re really long!

Evan Thomas February 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

I have to say that I love what protein and fat do for the body but could never give up what carbs do for the soul :-)

Ginger February 12, 2010 at 10:21 am

HEAB, I love ya, but please no more boasting about carbs and fat. I don’t mean to be rude, but I feel sometimes like you’re preaching.

I love your recipes, I love the quirky additions you put into everything, but everything is getting a little – excuse the pun – hard to stomach.

Wish you all the best.

Can You Stay for Dinner February 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

Your eats for the day look delicious! I know you’ve been experimenting with all different fats, so out of curiosity, do you crave nut butters as much as you used to?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 10:36 am

Can You Stay For Dinner, No, I haven’t been eating nut butters as often, but they will always be a part of my diet. I usually have at least one serving a day these days. Kind of stuck on cream cheese at the moment. So good!

Abi February 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

Ginger, I’m a little surprised at your comment. Blogs are to express yourself and how you see and experience the world. If this blog isn’t suiting you, there are so many more blogs out there to read to fit anyone’s interests!

fitandfortysomething February 12, 2010 at 10:35 am

I totally agree that you cannot give something up or you will want and need it al the time. I think everything is good in moderation. Plus I like how you are so intuned with your body that you find what works for you…..

Kelly February 12, 2010 at 11:20 am

YUM….can I come over and eat at your house?! haha!

eatmovelove February 12, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hey HEAB,
Interesting as usual. I was wondering, if you don’t mind, why you usually/always puree your soups (or why anyone does!!?)…don’t you miss the actually eating of the veggies and meat and stuff? Or do you prefer the ….mushiness haha?!! ;) And what is with this coconut butter I’m hearing about all the time. It ain’t here either :( …is it the same nutritional values as nut butters?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 11:37 am

Eatmovelove, You can click on the coconut butter link to read all about it. Sometimes I love whole veggies, and sometimes I like them pureed. You should try pureeing your squash. I thought I always preferred my veggies whole until I tried mashing them. You might surprise yourself too.

eatmovelove February 12, 2010 at 11:26 am

oh and yes to cream cheese…however mine came in the form of frosting on carrot cake – a big hunk – last evening – when i didn’t need it…natch whatev’s. ;) .

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I made Mac &Cheese (Spaghetti squash+humnut) the other night and topped it with leftover seared tuna, old bay, and tahini!
I love your idea of humnut+squash or brussel sprouts!!

I love lentils, and that soup sounds so good!! :-D

Ashley L February 12, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Alright I’m so ready to send you money for one of those squashes!

I MUST TRY IT!

And they are impossible to find around here. I’m going to have to look up some Asian markets in Chicago to find one of those buggers.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I’ve seen plenty of research that our body do not need grains, too. I still love them, tho. :)

Anna February 12, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Mmmm…I had mashed veggies for lunch too :-)

Never tried pureeing my lentils before– I’ll have to give that one a go! Have a great class!

The Foodie Diaries February 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I am SUCH a carboholic. But this is only because my body CRAVES carbs. Constantly. Like you, I think that our bodies are all so unique and we just need to give our bods what makes them feel good. I think this whole carb lovin thing is my body’s way of retaliating against me for trying Atkins/South Beach in high school hahaha

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Carbs = yes
Grains = notsomuch :) I miss my oats sometimes so far, but i can live!

luckytastebuds February 12, 2010 at 12:57 pm

haha Heather darling, your soup looks thicker than normal stews! LOL! I like it!!!! Sounds like a lentil dip to me…I would totally use it as a spread on bread for sandwiches. :)

I love carbs too much…I try to stay away from Asian bakeries (or Italian) or I end up buying all the buns I want to try!! hahaha

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Luckytastebuds, It’s Mexican bakeries for me. Oh my gosh…the damage I can do to some Tres Leches cake!

EE February 12, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I quite like using a squash as a “bowl” of sorts. Too bad I can’t find the elusive kabocha…

homecookedem February 12, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I want this soup!! I love that you topped it with goat cream cheese… I bet it was so comforting!! I just ate some of our leftover kabocha soup from last weekend. Mmmmm, kabocha is such a perfect lunch!! I just bought 2 more – ohhhhh, the possibilities!! :) Happy Friday!! :)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 12, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I love Kerrygold cheeses, the butter must be fantastic too. Gotta try kabocha again, my first was gross and I’m guessing underripe (it was half green inside!).

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Katie, Yes, a lot of my kabochas have been under-ripe as well. I seem to have bad luck with the really dark green ones. Not I look for a lighter green skin with big orange blotches.

Felicia February 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Heathers’ “boasting” about carbs and fat has taught many women (well at least me) the important role fats play in our body, the unnecessary need to fill out bodies with sugar and empty carbs, etc. Honestly, if she hadn’t done that, I would still be in the high protein-low fat state of mind that I have been the past four years which has been very difficult to get out of. Seeing someone be successful and achieve a healthy outcome is very inspiring, and everyone who comments on this blog too, I think, understands and loves what is posted each day. When everything that is stated here completely makes sense- like eating more fats to regulate hormones- it informs so many, and is a breath of fresh air from other unhealthy diets and lifestyles. Well, at least its helping with my totally wacked out hormone imbalance that I believe was damaged with improper nutrition.
Heather have you tried raw goat milk? I’m lucky enough to have a provider right down the road…but its health benefits exceed cows milk for sure, and I know in many cases has been substituted with success in those with allergies. I couldn’t believe the health benefits actually, if you haven’t looked it up you should definitely when you get a minute. Have a great day, off to play with my new vita! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Thanks for the support Felicia. :)

Yes, I used to buy raw goat milk from a local farm “for my pets” b/c it’s illegal to sell raw milk here in TN. They had to stop selling it, even for animals.

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

As a full-fledged Carb-Hugger, I am very relieved to hear you still eat them :) :)

I think we need to picket Artisana’s headquarters. I’m having trouble finding it lately too. My suspicion? They’re hoarding it all to themselves!

Sagan February 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I can’t do with low carbs, either. They are my joy and that’s what makes my body happy!

PS Oatmeal never tasted as good as when I ate it first thing after my raw food challenge, too.

Gena February 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I heart whole, ancient grains, but I also think it’s terrific to get carbs from plants, plain and simple!

And I believe that Heather is far from “preaching” to anyone. She’s expressing to her audience — many of whom may, like my own blog audience, fear fats or carbs — that these food groups can actually be nourishing or healing. If you just want a bunch of fun nut butter recipes, I’m sure there are less thought-provoking or discussion based blogs out there to which you can turn instead.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I hate how carb has become such a “4-letter word” in our vernacular. You are right to remind us that veggies are carbs too! And in that case I am more than happy to carbo-load on a daily basis. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I could never give up carbs, but you know that about me already.
Soup and the squash. Lovely!

The fact that YOU clued me into the Olympics starting tonite reiterates that I watch zero tv. I get my news on blogs :)

Ashlei February 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That soup looks great! I tried the eggs in a nest you blogged about yesterday and it was so delicious! Thanks for the great recipes!! :)

adrienmelaine February 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I will toast you while wearing my Canada gear and drinking a big glass of vino!

Happy Friday! Sorry to hear you have to work- bummer

LesleyG (justrun) February 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm

This might sound strange but I just want to thank you again for your good fat influence. Or, your good-fat influence… know what I mean? :) I thought of you as I was making my lunch today and it occurred to me how great it feels to add both a healthy oil and avocado to my stir fry, or to eat half an avocado instead of a quarter avocado (like so many “diets” suggest.. 1/4, WHO DOES THAT?) without stupid food guilt. I mean, we do all have to find our right balance, and I’ll probably be doing that for a long time, but I’m just so glad to be listening to my body better in that way. So, thanks!
And I still eat some grains, too. Even air-popped popcorn. OMG. hehe ;)

Have a good weekend!

kathleen February 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm

though i don’t eat dairy kerrygold butter hold a dear place in my heart. random fact about me: i have been to county kerry, ireland 17 times. those are some happy cows, i promise you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Kathleen, I’ve been to county Kerry twice. Such a magical place. Yes, very happy cows. :)

Allie (Protein Girl) February 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Yeah our bodies don’t need starchy carbs, but our souls? I’ve decided to celebrate monthly PMS with a forbidden treat. As a matter of fact, I recently licked, loved, chewed, meditated upon and swallowed a dense glutinous fried sesame ball which is the Chinese answer to Krispy Kreme. It’s what we do MOST of the time that matters, right?

Drina February 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Our bodies may not *need* grains, but technically they don’t *need* any particular food. Our bodies can do without meat, or without dairy, or without fruit, or without nuts, or without fish, or without eggs, or without beans and lentils… all of these things supply nutrients that we could get elsewhere, so the foods themselves aren’t needed per se. But just because they aren’t absolutely essential for good health doesn’t mean they’re not good for you. So, eat your grains! Yeah!

ilanalala February 12, 2010 at 3:13 pm

See, for me, any diet that would require me to give up CARBS – I can’t do! My stepfather was on Atkins before he passed away after a massive heart attack, and that scares the shizzle out of me. But I do think I have a gluten intolerance, so I’m changing up the kinds of grains I eat, and it’s working out well.

I still haven’t tried kabocha but gosh your blog always makes me want to.

VeggieGirl February 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Alright, I’ve had it.

I’m delurking to say that PEOPLE NEED TO STOP ACCUSING HEATHER OF “PREACHING”!!! Heather knows what she is talking (err, typing) about because she is expressing what works for her!! If you don’t like what you’re reading on the amazing HEAB blog, then LEAVE or go start your own damn blog. LEAVE HEATHER ALONE!!!

Melissa S. February 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

i really need to get on the fat and protein addition…i’ve got the protein part down, but not the fat. it will probably help me in the long run.

Michal February 12, 2010 at 4:46 pm

That soup sounds oh so good! YUM! Enjoy your weekend heather :)

Katie February 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I made lentil soup very similar to that the other night, but I added mango in before pureeing. Yum!

Good to hear I’m not the only one having bad issues with under-ripe kabocha.

Laura February 12, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Is something in the air this Friday?! It seems to be very heated on one of my favourite, favourite blogs. From what I can gather from afar, Heather seems to base what she talks about both from quite a bit of research and reading, also from her own experiences- but I think one of the greatest messages she (is the cat’s Grandmother ;) -do you have this saying in the U.S., or am I sounding crazy?), gives out is that everyone is individual and its ok to stay true to yourself and what you feel at that time is right for you. Ur anyway, I wasn’t going to go all serious, but- can I give my two pence (or cents?!) worth? Please delete it Heather if its too long, or boring! There is quite a body of evidence that certain forms of carbohydrate are essential in the diet- fibre, when it passes through the bowel, speeds transit of your urhm, poo, which reduces the time that the body is exposed to substances that can damage the bowel lining, or possibly mutations (reduces risk of bowel cancer). Also, fibre is important in preventing conditions like diverticulitis (google that!) and intestinal problems when we are older and greyer. After seeing patients with div. I definitely am going to keep carbohydrates- in their whole form in my diet, its horrible! Oooh- and oats and barley are rich in soluble fibres, which have different, but great effects- like lowering blood cholesterol. Oatbran all the way! Keep up the good work Heather ;)

Laura February 12, 2010 at 5:53 pm

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/bowel-cancer/about/risks/food-types-and-bowel-cancer is a good starting off point if you are interested, just scroll down for a little on fibre. Okay, I’ll stop hijacking the blog now…

caronae February 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

That’s one of the best sounding soups I have heard of in quite some time! Mmmm mmmm mmmm!

Claire February 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Never to oatmeal-less again! Like you said…if you like something, it’s totally ok to eat it occasionally! And wow, lentils topped with cream cheese for brekkie! I should really try more savory breakfasts; I’m on a pancake stint right now…..

Meg February 12, 2010 at 8:35 pm

You’ve really inspired me to incorporate so many new foods into my diet, and I just love reading your blog every single day. So, thank you for that :) You’re an inspiration and a foodie genius :D I now adore healthy fats more than I ever had, and oh, your protein pancake recipe is a norm in my diet :)

theprocessofhealing February 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Um so I totally don’t understand how people don’t eat any carbs.. I think i would kills myself. Carbs make me happy. :)

Kerrygold butter is the best butter in.the.world. Seriously. Except what you can actually get IN Ireland.

Jess February 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

That kabocha looks delicious! Love the drizzle.

<3 jess

dee February 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

hi heather, i too have been trying to incorporate many more animal fats in my diet for similar reasons to yours and i was wondering, do you ever save your bacon grease? i have been really into it! you just pour it into a jar after cooking your bacon and then after cooling you can store it in the fridge. it makes refried beans heavenly as well as any cooking greens. a year ago i would have thought it was disgusting but i really love the amazing flavor and a tsp or two adds so much more flavor than olive oil or butter. definitely try it if you haven’t cooked anything besides your aforementioned eggs and i think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Dee, Yes, we were saving our bacon grease, but now we aren’t but only b/c we always cook with it immediately, either with our eggs or in a stir-fry. You’re right – the flavor is amazing!

Scott McIntosh February 13, 2010 at 12:12 am

I DVR’d the Olympic opening so we can watch it on Sunday when you and CD come over.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 13, 2010 at 8:17 am

THANK YOU!!!

justine February 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

Heabers, you silly girl, they DO sell the Artisana Coconut butter at our Whole Foods. I told you this once before silly.

Cant wait till tomorrow :)

Love,
Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 13, 2010 at 8:18 am

Where Justine??? I’ve never seen it there.

FoodCents February 13, 2010 at 11:16 am

HEAB’er… Lentil soup with bacon, SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want the recipe, let me know.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

FoodCents, Hello, of course I want the lentil soup with bacon recipe. Duh! ;)

SamWB February 13, 2010 at 11:41 am

I think I would just like to point out that a low-carb diet is HELL on your kidneys! You want a quick route to renal disease and kidney stones? Stop eating carbs… when will people learn that the healthiest way is to stop eating processed crap and eat all food groups in a balanced way… you need fat too! Just read around and find out about the good stuff instead of eating the manufactured bad stuff! The reason I read HEAB is because Heather has such a balanced and sensible view of health… and in my opinion… it is not preaching, just sharing what she has learned!

Anyway… carry on :)

xx Sam xx

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I’m curious why you believe our bodies don’t need grains. This could be an interesting post!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 13, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Lily, I simply believe we don’t need as many carbs as we’ve been led to believe and that we can get all the carbs we do need from vegetables. Here is some interesting info. on the topic: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) February 15, 2010 at 5:33 am

Heather, you mentioned that carbs only make up about 30% of your diet. I’m curious – how is the other 70% split between fat and protein? I find it hard to ever be below 45% carbs. I loooove my oats! I tend to eat a lot of high-carb fruits too, like bananas and apples. I know you’re not much into fruit.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 7:58 am

Emily, My macronutrient intake is so different everyday, and I try not to get caught up in all the numbers. However, lately when I have tracked everything, I’m about 50% fat, 20% protein, and 30% carbs. My carbs come mostly from vegetables, and on days when I do eat oats or tortillas, etc., it’s obviously a bit higher. And yes, I rarely eat fruit. Not really eating any right now, but I do get on my fruit kicks, especially in the summer. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Heab, oh the drama. I think that the bottom line is that we are all so different, and you are so fortunate in finding what works for your body best. I wish people would just understand and respect that. I’m certain that you aren’t preaching, just telling people what works for you!

That lentil soup looks yummy- who knew that Charlotte could cook! She claims that she can’t :-) haha busted- she’s probably a CIA trained chef and has been holding out on us! :-)