Can't Do Cruciferous?

by HEAB on February 15, 2010

After posting numerous bows of veggie goodness like this…

readers kept asking me if I ever feel bloated after eating so many vegetables. For me, the answer is no. The only foods that tend to bloat my belly are some soy and dairy products. Pounds of Brussels sprouts and broccoli never bother me, and I literally do consume pounds of both on a regular basis…well, up until broccoli was banned in our house. CD couldn’t take the stank anymore, and I can’t say I blame him. Why does something that tastes so good smell so horrible? Makes me sad.

So, for those of you who are bothered by cruciferous veggies, I ate a few meals in your honor so you wouldn’t feel left out of the veggie fun. :)

How about this bowl?

Let’s see, that one contained 1/2 chopped onion sauteed with 1 strip of bacon, mushrooms, spinach, and 1 spiralized zucchini squash. Please click here if you’re in need of a good spiralizer. The sauce consisted of 2 TBSP tomato paste heated on the stove-top with 1 ounce of Trader Joe’s full fat whipped cream cheese and on top of that, a drizzle of tahini.

Next up we have…

mushrooms and spinach sauteed with bacon and then scrambled with 2 whole eggs and topped with full fat whipped cream cheese and pepper. CD and I buy spinach in bulk from Costco, and I throw handful after handful into my stir-fries until it’s all cooked down. So yummy and filling.

And here, we have Eggs In A Nest made with Swiss chard, sun dried tomatoes, onions and mushrooms…

See? It’s possible to make veggies the base of your meals without all the cruciferous bulk. All of these bowls pictured were delicious, flavorful, and quite satiating.

What’s your favorite way to incorporate vegetables?

P.S. Look who attended her first ever yoga class with me yesterday…

Justine and I flowed for 90 minutes at my favorite studio and we both left class so happy. Justine, how ya feeling today? :)

EE February 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

I will cry huge crocodile tears if my husband ever bans Brussels or broccoli from Chez EE. Say it ain’t so! Let’s see — I am a big fan of a huge kale base in veggie bowls. Good peppery, nutmeggy kale… mmm.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 15, 2010 at 11:22 am

Love all the veggie-ful meals Heather! You’ve been inspiring my lunches and dinners lately…Thank you! Lots of eggs and nuts and veggie deliciousness over here in gayyy Pareeeeee ;)

Hope your day is wonderful!

fartygirl February 15, 2010 at 11:36 am

Much agreed w. EE. I can’t imagine life without broccoli. If you wanted to, HEABS, you could sub broccoli sprouts for the broccoli. The sprouts are soooo much healthier than regular broccoli. And broccoli sprouts don’t taste as nasty as alfalfa or the other kinds. They are very mild. I eat them on my oats in the morning!

90 minutes is a lot for your first yoga! Way to go Justine!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Farty, Yes, love broccoli sprouts, but never buy them. Thanks for the reminder!

Becca February 15, 2010 at 11:39 am

Heather, I thought of you this morning when I had a bowl of delicious veggies+eggs for breakfast. So good. And perfect after a notashealthyasIcouldhavebeen weekend.
Your food always looks so good to me. I have to try these recipes too!

Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 11:42 am

So who is the boy stalking you in the picture with Justine???

Foods=yum

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Carolyn, Ha ha – that guy is always at the yoga studio. He and HIS WIFE take all their classes together, and they both have the most amazing bodies!

malpaz February 15, 2010 at 11:52 am

oh my goodness you veggies and good fats look sooo good… i will definitely give that omlette type thing a go! yum yum!

Sagan February 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I think that HOW we eat the veggies might be a big part of whether it is bloating or not… if they’re cooked or what other foods we eat with them can be a big determinant.

I’ve been really enjoying piling spinach into a breakfast shake in the morning! It’s nice to get in about 3 cups of greens first thing :)

Yasmin February 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

You’re so lucky the overload of veggies doesn’t bloat or hurt your stomach. Mine does crazy things on me but I love my veggies!

Evan Thomas February 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Mmmm these look really good! I can totally do cruciferous; the WF salad bar is not my friend. Too much $$ :-( I just can’t do volumous smoothies, especially dairy–now those mess me up

Alyson February 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I love these! My salad’s could seriously use some creative inspiration just like this!

plamarie February 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I started steaming the brocoli out back or in the garage in an electric steamer. HA! We couldn’t take the smell any more either :o

April February 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’m a fan of the bagged cole slaw mix. Since i’m unemployed and poor right now you can’t beat the price! I just sautee it in Pam add protein and voila! Mustard and stevia are a must in the concoction as well.

Have you tried Muscle Guage Nutrition whey powder? They have recently started making it with stevia and it’s really good! I’m not a rep or anything I just like when I find good things that are worth sharing :) Cheapest here…sorry, me and all my friends are buying so much they are out of stock alot. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-gauge-whey-protein-isolate.html

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

April, Thanks for the link, but I can’t do whey protein powders – I’m allergic to it. :(

Heather February 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm

i love roasted veggies…i feel like the flavors are so rounded and yummy! and i’ll eat them with just about anything, but pasta’s a big favorite :)

Erica February 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Bowls of deliciousness! I ate a veggie bowl last night with brussels, jicama, tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, onions and pinto beans. mmmmmm. Cute picture of you two at Yoga. Hope you’re having a good Monday so far!

candice February 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I love the “eggs in a nest”! And I didn’t know broccoli had a smell? Hmmm. It’s never smelled particularly foul to me. Favorite way to eat veggies = stir-fries or roasted.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Candice, Oh my gosh, steam a big pot filled with broccoli on your stove-top. Then go outside and walk back in your house. Trust me, it stinks.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

OK my guess is that Justine will need assistance brushing her hair today- her delts will be screaming.

All those veggies look great- I do think I get a tad bloated but whatevs- it’s worth it. Your tomato/cream cheese sauce looks very tempting!

Hope you had a lovely day with your romantic hubs! :-)

Mama Pea February 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Number one question I get on my blog is always about gas. Broccoli is much easier on my system than artificial sweeteners! Still, I like your alternatives to stanking up my house!

homecookedem February 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

The only veggies that really bother my belly are raw veggies – raw broccoli is the worst. But if it’s steamed or roasted I seem to be fine – wonder why that is?? Anyway, my fave way to eat my veggies are to roast them. So much yummier to me that way!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Em, Not sure why some people have hard time digesting raw veggies, but you’re not alone. Chinese medicine recommends eating cooked veggies – easier on the digestive system, even just lightly steaming them helps, but they sure taste wonderful roasted! :)

eatmovelove February 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I find they (most) totally bloat me – when they’re raw, steamed, sauteed, roasted, whatever…but I’m not willing to give them up ;) …I think the fact that I usually shovel them into my mouth doesn’t help either though or maybe it’s the cheese…oye….
I actually tried asparagus before and found that harder on my gut…thought it was supposed to be easier though?

balancejoyanddelicias February 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I love all these combos!!!! :D I need to get Tj’s whipped cream!!! :D

Jamie February 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for showing how you can make veggies the main part of the meal but they can still be extremely flavorful and filling! I really want to get myself a spiralizer too!

Susan February 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I’m the same way, cooked veggies never give me tummy troubles. RAW veggies though, that’s a whole other story. Raw broccoli = death for me. So funny how our bodies can react SO differently to certain foods!

I’ve never noticed the broccoli stank. Just smells like green goodness to me :)

heather February 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Yum, yum, yum! All of that looks amazing! I’m totally going to get some whipped cream cheese and try it with veggies. The eggs in a nest looks amazing. I so want to try that with spinach. As far as being bloated from veggies, not me. I eat insane amounts of them everyday and it’s never a problem.

Anna February 15, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I love cruciferous veggies!!! Bring ‘em on!

I never understand why people complain about broccoli smelling bad– I think it smells great!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Veggies don’t bloat me either…when I eat them that is. ;)

Nicole February 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I love veggies but yeah, I do have to admit I get pretty gassy from them (and heartburn) but it all depends on the veggie. Spinach doesn’t agree with me well and neither do cukes, but I do love them so much. I love broccoli but I absolutely cannot eat them raw.
And about the smell — cauliflower has been banned from my house too. I can only make it when he’s not here. I’ll buy a head, chop it in the food processor and portion them into baggies. Then I’ll make cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes at work and stink out everyone there instead. :)

Marissa February 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I definitely get gassy from crucifers. Painfully so. I finally found something that takes the edge off though, Zand Quick Digest

I have tried Beano, the vegan Beano, Gas-x, etc…and this is the ONLY thing that has worked! I cannot say it stops the gas completely, but it definitely keeps it from being painful. Hope that helps someone!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Marissa. I used to take Beano all the time until I realized it was the tofu giving me gas…not the broccoli. :)

Pure2raw twins February 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Love all the veggie love!!!

Ameena February 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I incorporate vegetables into every meals…tomato sauces, sauces of any kind actually. I can’t eat too many veggies!

charlotte February 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Funny – I think Brussels sprouts stink worse than broccoli! That said, I eat them both (and love them!) anyhow. Also, that little mirror above Justine’s shoulder looked like a little thought bubble the first time I saw the pic – would be funny to fill in what she thought!

Katie February 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm

You read my mind. I posted yesterday about wanting/needing new sauce recipes for my veggie bowls. You don’t even have to read to deliver the goods! I’ll be trying the eggs in a nest as soon as I buy myself some eggs!

Lindsay February 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm

yum yum! Brussel sprouts and cauliflower are a STAPLE in our house! Not a problem, but yes soy adn dairy (unless full fat) tend to upset our stomachs. I think we could be appetite twins!!
You gotta try almond cheese. It melts great and is high in protein. We like Jalapeno jack and Cheddar!

LC

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Lindsay, I’ve been wondering about almond cheese, and yes, I think we could dine together at every meal and all be very happy! :)

Allie (Protein Girl) February 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm

One word: Beano

Katie February 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Love veggies~~~~ Love all the veggie meals you have going on in this post : )

I love adding veggies to my salads to bulk them up!!!!

adrienmelaine February 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Does your skin break out when you eat dairy? The only thing that makes my skin break out is dairy (I think) I’m still trying to figure out whether that’s an allergy thing or not.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Adreienmelaine, Nope, never had a problem with dairy breaking me out, but I know others who have.

Ana February 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Heather, have you tried frozen broccoli? It is good and doesn’t smell!! :o )
I only buy frozen now, and my favorite way to eat it is roasted! Yep, I do roast frozen broccoli, I spread the florettes frozen, right from the freezer, in a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up), season with salt, pepper and olive oil and roast at 400F until they have brownish and amazingly delicious edges (turn a few times during the roasting). It doesn’t take long, they come up so delicious, and no washing broccoli or smell at all. And I buy my organic frozen broccoli in bulk at BJ’s too – which is convenient and cheaper!
Hope you like the idea! I do the same with cauliflower too, which I find to be even smellier than broccoli.
Love your veggie bowls and the healthy sauces you use!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Hey Ana, You know, before we were married, I used to buy frozen broccoli, but I haven’t bought in years. I think Costco sells it, and I will pick some up next time I’m there. Oh, I so hope that it doesn’t stink. I miss my beloved brocc!

Christopher Ian Hill February 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Oh CD,
How can your ban poor broccoli? That’s GOOD stuff!
I never thought it smelt bad…Interesting….

I love my veggies!

~Chris :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Roasted, toasted, sauteed, steamed, raw…you name it with veggies…I love to eat it! I put almost anything on lettuce. It’s addicting! I am with you with the soy and the dairy…they bloat me and hurt more than anything else. I love omelets. We eat a lot of them here. My favorite is with spinach and Trader Joe’s corn salsa mixed in! YUM!

Gabriela (froyolover) February 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm

YUUUM!
I think you´re so right – veggies won´t never be unpleasant ;)
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Angela February 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Veggies don’t make me bloated either, and people actually ask me that a lot when they see me eating so many veggies. Dairy on the other had is a whole other story!

theprocessofhealing February 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Gosh your veggies look so good :) I love broccoli, I would cry if it was banned!!! It sure does stink though..

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Love the idea of mixing tomato paste with cream cheese – that red sauce looks so pretty and definitely a hit for the whole veggie dish!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Ok so this is what i have learned about stinking & brock.
It’s the plant fibers breaking down that release the smell. Sulphur (the smell) is the by product of the chemical reaction involved in breaking down the fibers, i.e. cooking them. The longer you cook them, the more they will stink. For all cruiferious veggies, aim for the “sweet spot” with cooking, meaning cook til JUST tender. Then stop cooking. If you find this spot, no stink. If you go past it, and the longer you go past it, house hella stinky :) It only took 20 years as a vegetarian (before becoming vegan) to figure this out. I’ve save you the time. :)

And everyone else with gas…it could be a food combining issue. Research “food combining + vegetables” and you will get some cliff’s notes. i.e. dont be eating veggies with fruits.

Great food pics, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 7:17 pm

But Averie, I like my broccoli steamed until soft. I basically cook all the nutrients out of it – HATE it crunchy.

Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Heather when i cook my broccoli in the evil microwave it doesn’t seem to do much damage to the house..Or we never seem to notice it hanging around being stanky… not the same end result of roasting… but it might do in a pinch if you slathered it with enough after yum ingredients.. Maybe take some to a microwave in a distant land (moms?) and test it out……

AOK with asparagus today!! .. i may dabble my toe in the brocolli waters again soon…

Abbey February 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I hate crunchy broccoli too. I had the most delicious lunch today which I have to thank HEABS for inspiring. Your blog has encouraged me to increase my veggies. Although I have always eaten them everyday I was only getting about 2-3 servings. Now; like 10!

1/2 roasted kabocha (I am in love), steamed broccoli (soft and delicious), and a huge pile steamed cauliflower which I pulsed in the food processor to make “mashed potatoes”.
Smart balance makes a spray butter that is totally insane. YUM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Abbey, Lunch sounds delicious. Please eat some SOFT broccoli for me. :

celestial February 15, 2010 at 8:07 pm

steam your broccoli in a broccoli and cheddar (aka nooch) omlette! mmm

Melissa S. February 15, 2010 at 8:30 pm

omg love those eggs with all the veggies! makes me want more of my dinner (since i had that tonight, except my eggs were scrambled!)

Jess February 15, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Hooray for Justine’s first yoga class! You both are stunning!

<3 jess

Lara (Thinspired) February 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Never really paid attention to bloat after I eat cruciferous veggies…(why is this telling me that I spelled it wrong?! This is evidence enough that America needs a veggie-friendly vocabulary). As I was saying, I never pay attention, because I figure that even temporary bloat is better than the long-term issues with NOT eating my veggies.
That said, I *have* noticed some, ahem, gassy issues after eating brussel sprouts. But unfortunately (for Matt, anyway), it doesn’t stop me from eating them :/

the dainty pig February 16, 2010 at 1:50 am

oh my gosh! those veggies look so delicious :D
Wish I could eat eggs and cheese…two of life’s greatest things for sure!

k February 16, 2010 at 7:43 am

i love brussel sprouts, but I find having too much fiber does make me feel bloated. :(

CaSaundra February 16, 2010 at 7:58 am

I have never been bothered by bloat from veggies–the only one I can say really does my stomach wrong is cabbage–so I avoid that.

Heather February 16, 2010 at 8:02 am

Yum I could eat bowls of those veggies for days! Glad veggies don’t both my stomach… just dairy sometimes :( So sad because I love cheese, but it’s probably good that the upset stomach helps keep my cheesy portions in control.

tramey1 February 16, 2010 at 8:16 am

You are starving this blogger boy to death!

n.D. February 16, 2010 at 8:39 am

What’s atop the first plate there – that looks delicious. You’re making me want cream cheese 24/7!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 8:43 am

N.D. It’s whipped cream cheese stirred together with nutritional yeast and thinned with water. :)

rebecca lustig February 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Gahhh, I could eat broccoli and Brussel sprouts everyday. Love it.

Enjoy the day
bec xo

livelifeeatright February 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Those veggie bowls look amazing!!! And I love flow yoga, I always leave feeling like a new person! SO glad you were able to share it with a friend!

Amy February 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm

All your veggie combos look so awesome! Mine always taste pretty good (in my opinion), but generally look not-so-hot. Half the battle is presentation…

kristilyn February 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I love veggies now … I remember when I first started on my food/weight loss journey, my stomach would get so aggravated, but now I love eating fresh fruits and veggies … as for broccoli and brussels sprouts – they’re my favourite!

K

Bekah February 17, 2010 at 6:57 am

Ya know? I think I used to get so bloated after so much vegetables because I was eating like a head of broccoli and a head of kale raw. But I don’t know. I still ate them.. and I never felt bad about eating them, just really full. I need to cook veggies more often. I’m feeling a usage of my dorm kitchen coming soon featuring brussel sprouts. I miss them so much! And poached eggs. Aghh.
:) You and Justine are looking HOT!

Holly February 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

i miss that justine. what a fab lady she is!

ummm…thanks to you, i am pretty much on the hugest egg kick ever. i mean, i ate them before. but they you ate them, and i need to eat them, and now i am literally putting them in everything. LOVES.

Andrea of Care to Eat February 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I’m in love with this post. Recently, I’ve just been eating plates of veggies for dinner, as I’m not very hungry in the evenings. And like you, I don’t get “the bloat” from veggies – in fact, I get the opposite and I feel like it flushes out my system.
I’m also in love with that raw raisin toast. You bet you’re bippy, I’ll be trying that out soon!

{ 2 trackbacks }