Sure, I'll Try It

by HEAB on February 16, 2010

I love it when readers and other bloggers suggest I try something. For as you know, I’ll try almost anything. :)

Tuesday morning trial and error…

Coconut flour in coffee…(for Missy)

Big Error!!! Missy, don’t do it! Gross, blech, threw it out. If you want to go the coconut route, stick with So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer, or for the best cup o’ joe ever, go with 1 TBSP heavy cream (not half and half, but CREAM) and NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops. That combo is what gets me out of bed every morning. :)

Next up, a variation of Julie’s Muddy Morning Slurry

Julie, your bowl of mud gets two big thumbs up from me. Before taking the pups on an hour-long walk, I blended 3 TBSP chia seeds in my Vita-Mix with 1 cup water. When we got back, I blended my chia gel with 1 TBSP cocoa powder, 2 TBSP unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 TBSP Artisana raw coconut butter, 1 packet of stevia, and I topped everything off with 1/2 ounce plain roasted almonds. YUM! Although, I think I will leave out the stevia next time as this was almost too sweet for me.

So, many thanks to all the blogger/readers who send me your favorite recipes. You inspire me. :)

Time for some massage therapy. Bye.

Evan Thomas February 16, 2010 at 11:00 am

I need to try that mud! It sounds delicious :-) Unfortunately, still haven’t hopped on the chia train.

plamarie February 16, 2010 at 11:02 am

I always add heaving cream to my coffee :) I joke that half and half is too thin! LOL! It’s the best way to enjoy great coffee!

Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) February 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

I think I need to add real cream back to my coffee. I think it’s out of this world good. I used to always get it in my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and it’s heavenly.

eatmovelove February 16, 2010 at 11:07 am

Can I just say that I love love love that you “just” go for walks…in a world/blogosphere where exercise is all about not just walking – well, it’s something that I really need to see and hear right now. Walking is good enough right?

Love the mud mix-up :)

Vita gets its use out of you! Praying to Vita Gods ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Eatmovelove, Yes my friend, walking is ENOUGH.

Christie @ Honoring Health February 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

Do you have problems with chia making you feel bloated? Every time I eat it, I feel like I blow up like a balloon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Christie, Nope, no problems with chia for me, but they are high in fiber. Definitely something to ease into. Maybe try 1 TBSP or less at a time.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 16, 2010 at 11:36 am

Love it!! Wish I could find some chia seeds in Paris…gonna go on the hunt this weekend!!

I had a big bowl of eggplant stew and two hardboiled eggs for breakfast this morning…it made me think of you and your savory, eggy breakfasts as of late. Thanks for the healthy inspiration!

missy February 16, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m sorry the coconut flour debacle was a fail. Thanks for playing:)

melissa February 16, 2010 at 12:00 pm

yum! chocolate :D i use so delicious unsweetened coconut bev in my coffee, smoothies or just to drink!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee February 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm

The mud looks real yummy! I’ll have to think of something yummy and strange for you to try ;)

Karla February 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Do you think this would work in a regular blender? It sounds great but I’m a broke grad student with no vita-mix.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Karla, Definitely. No Vita, no problem. I’m sure the mud would work in any blender.

claudia February 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

sooo you say you like to try new things? well here is MY ultimate fav thing to eat and it is superrrrrr simple. heat 3 (or less) halved jalapenos in milk or cream but do not let it boil then strain. roast a spagetti squash and then remove flesh mix with jalapeno cream a dab of BUTTA and season to taste. maybe a lil nut. yeast would be phenominal in there too! it is super simple ans so comforting. Hi by the way read your blog eveyday! I love your “weird” food

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Claudia, Sounds yummy. I’ll add it to my* to-try* list, and thanks for reading!!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Lol– coconut flour in coffee? Nope, won’t be trying that one :-)

I LOVE those nunaturals drops! I just bought the butter toffee one…mmmmm! Love it in my coffee!

I’ve tried the So Delicious coconut creamer, but it left my coffee with a funky aftertaste :-(

claire February 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm

You’re such a good sport!:-) cc

elleneatsbeats February 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Chia seeds make the greatest meals!

theemptynutjar February 16, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Walking is an exercise. I have done it for the past 10 months – one time a day. And it is me here and now for a while. Walking is exercise, so thanks for proving that Heather (I only do it too, but u have more influence!).

As for vita-mixes and all this stuff…WAY too complicated for me…i think i would get mesmerized and overwhelmed…the only piece of equipment i have is a kettle for 9.99…the less complicated the better :)

today is Pancake Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday)…betcha didnt know that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

EmptyNut, Yes, someone mentioned Shrove Tuesday to me recently. I had to Google it.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Ha ha, love the blog-n-run technique of today’s post. That pudding looks delish but the anal calorie counter in me had to stop myself adding it up :-) I would LOVE to find my “magic formula” like you seem to have done with what works for your diet. I know I’m still struggling to find mine. :-) Hope you have a great Tuesday!

We should have some sort of a contest to see who won’t try something that seems really gross ;-) It would take a lot to shock me (or you!)

lpskins February 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Something about the idea of chia gel totally creeps me out.

Ameena February 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I love how willing you are to try new things! I am trying to be more adventurous so I am going to go find some chia seeds and give them a try!!

Carolyn February 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

huuummmm…i wonder… Since chia seeds seem to laugh in the face of most things blender… i wonder if a mortar and pestle taken to them ahead of time, when dry, would kinda grind them and make it less seedy??.. Love them as is, eat them and have pretty successfully made them dissapear on a smoothie VM but i have no mortar and pestle to test this out…..do you?

coconut flour coffee.. hehe…or, espresso powder pancakes with coconut flour!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Carolyn, Nope, no mortar and pestle. I wonder if a coffee grinder would do the trick? And I’ll take the pancakes any day over ever putting any kind of flour in my coffee again! :)

Jenny R. February 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

did the coconut butter make it sweet and that’s why the added stevia made it too sweet? I’ve only ever had cacoa bliss which has agave and coconut oil (which isn’t sweet obviously)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Jenny R, Yes, the coconut butter is naturally sweet due the coconut meat it contains. I think the mud would have been perfect on its own sans any stevia.

Patricia February 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I am wondering if you ever have the nutritional info for your recipes ?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Patricia, I don’t have the nutritional info for my recipes. Sometimes I figure it up, but then I start to obsess. I know counting calories works for many people but it turns me into a counting and measuring freak…not good for me. That being said, most of the breakfasts I post are around 500 calories or less. I usually just kind of guessimate.

Run Sarah February 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

The muddy morning dessert looks awesome – I’ve made similar but with xantham and guar gum instead of chia seeds. I can’t drink plain, hot coffee with any sugar/sweetener or milk – I’m crazy, I know! Black is where it’s at!

Quix February 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

You are so adventurous! Flour in your coffee? Hmmmm…

That slurry does look pretty delicious though!

KathyR February 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Coconut flour IN coffee? Wouldn’t that just make a really, really weird gravy?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm

KathyR, Weird gravy…yep, that about sums it up. :)

Cat February 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm

The mud looks fantastic! I love new breakfast concoctions. I think I’ll try that tomorrow! I got the whipped cream cheese from Trader Joes today, maybe that’ll make a good topping for the mud?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Cat, yes, I think the cream cheese would taste fabulous on the mud! :)

Katie February 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Just wrote the recipe down and will be trying it when I get MY NEW VITA-MIX!!! I just ordered one a couple days ago….keep the vita recipes coming! :D

Chia seeds are fine in a regular blender. I just soak 1 T in 1 cup of water for about an hour or two first. Then they blend just fine. Probably not as thick as yours though.

BroccoliHut February 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Whoa, that Morning Slurry looks like heaven in a bowl!!

eaternotarunner February 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm

The mud sounds delish :-)

Gracie February 16, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I’m confused by chia seeds. Does blending them with water make some sort of jell-o consistency…?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Gracie, Yes, chia seeds absorb the soaking liquid and swell, forming a gel like consistency.

EE February 16, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Trying new things makes life so enjoyable — even the disasters. :)

pureblissnutrition February 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm

New Delicious “Coffee”….

I made a fresh batch of sesame milk and added it to a fresh batch of sunflower seed milk… So it was like a Sunsame milk. 1 part Sunsame milk + 1 part “Coffee” (I use carob) + Vanilla NuStevia… Blend… It is so uniquely delicious and warming… try it some time. …I just concocted this today… so if you hate it– I will not be offended :) lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Purebliss, Hehe – Sounds delicious but a little complicated. I think I’ll stick with my coffee and cream. :)

Pure2Raw twins February 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Chia pudding looks amazing. Yeah, sometimes I get carried away with stevia, and makes things a little too sweet! ;)

Christopher Ian Hill February 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Heather,

I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but after drinking Almond Milk – I think that would be a great creamer for coffee! :)

~Chris

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Chris, Nope, I’ve tried almond milk in my coffee. Not so good.

Lindsey February 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm

coconut flour? odd. I add the creamy goodness from the top of a can of coconut milk… yumyumyum

Emilyeatsclean February 16, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Need to buy chia!!!! That chocolate mud looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

sophia February 17, 2010 at 1:51 am

Hee hee! Errors or not, I’m pleased to meet another adventurous eater! :D

naturalnonsense February 17, 2010 at 7:39 am

So Delicious creamer has been my love since the first time I tried it – I could drink that stuff straight up! I can’t find chia seeds around here, but I put them in my MixMyGranola tin and they are so fun! Thank you for all your beautiful veggie and fat inspired meals! I absolutly adore your blog :-)

skinnyrunner February 17, 2010 at 8:35 am

flour in coffee? that just sounds gross! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

Skinnyrunner, It was.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

what a cool recipe for the “mud”! I’ll definitely have to try that now that I’ve found I like chia seeds :)

Christopher Ian Hill February 17, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh Really? Huh? OK, maybe I shouldn’t try almond milk in coffee!

~Chris

Lori February 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Yeah, I’ve tried coconut flour in my Teeccino (herbal coffee) before… and yeah, not so good. It’s grainy and doesn’t really dissolve. But the idea is good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Lori, Yeah, totally grainy. Blech!

Julie February 18, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I feel like a rock star that you shared my slurry! You inspire me to try new things, and I will definitely try your variation…it sounds really tasty.

I got my chia from chiaseedsdirect and I love them. Thanks again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

You’re welcome Julie, and thank you for the slurry recipe. I’ll be making it again, I’m sure. It was great. :)

Patricia March 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Does anyone know where to buy Chia seeds in Paris…..can’t live without my Chia.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 20, 2010 at 5:41 am

Patricia, Not sure, but I order mine from http://www.chiaseedsdirect.com, and they might ship to Paris.